Rank those on the Wall | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rank those on the Wall

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So by your logic Michael Jordan could have replaced Stewie and he would not have been better than DT because she had less talented players? If someone is better then they are better period. Your argument is lost because while I get the point you are trying to make, it still does not prove DT is better as Stewie won every year. Most of her teams were the best by a lot and she could have done more if there were less talent on the team or played as many minutes in games that were blow outs. She is the only one that can say she got the job done every year, even her freshman year where she struggled but played like a champion when it mattered most.
Not sure how your logic got so convoluted but Stewie is not the only one that "got it done every year". Moriah Jefferson?

Reaction Score
Not sure how your logic got so convoluted but Stewie is not the only one that "got it done every year". Moriah Jefferson?
So convoluted? Did Pippen play with MJ? You ignored and did not address my point about if MJ was on UConn team with Moriah, KML and Tuck does that take away how great he is?

Does that make another player better than him? My point is that I would use other points because Stewie won with what she had, can't fault her for it. 4 for 4 ....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So convoluted? Did Pippen play with MJ? You ignored and did not address my point about if MJ was on UConn team with Moriah, KML and Tuck does that take away how great he is?
Does that make another player better than him?
Yes. Yes. No. Maybe.

Reaction Score
Its how you win that separates the very top tier. DT carried her last 2 teams on her back and willed them to victory. Cant say that with Stewart. Jordan hit the game-winner with the flu & an IV - Pippen did not.

What did Stewart do as a freshman?

Reaction Score
What more could Stewie do to be "DT" great? She was the leader and excelled on both offense and defense. She could rebound, pass, handle the rock, score inside and out. She was unselfish, made those around her better and won a chip every year??? Explain please. She could of averaged gaudier numbers if she stayed in games longer which would make this even more obvious.

I think Stewart gets somewhat "overlooked" (Overlooked is probably a terrible word. We all love her and everyone else and at worst have her top 3 all-time. Which is amazing and is not "overlooked" considering the greatness of both DT and Maya as well.) because she is tall. If she gets the ball inside and scores on a layup - it's not the flash of sticking a 3 o sticking a 15 footer with someone in your face. Overall, a guard makes flashier passes "in action." With Stewart the ball could goes inside, she is nearly stationary upon receipt, and she gets doubled which leads to a pass or two or a few for a shot. -- It's not overall as flashy as a guard in action making that 1st pass that eventually leads to a basket. A guard is usually more "fun to watch in action" while for a center in the low post the big action is getting/establishing/winning low post position. Usually bigs don't have room to operate thus how exciting is it to watch Stewie shoot a layup or take no more than 1 dribble and just shoot over someone inside 5-6 feet?

If you asked me who was more exciting DT or Stewie -- I'm taking DT no problem. I love guard play. But who is more exciting is not the question. When I hear "swagger" imo that is nothing more than "more exciting."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stewie was plenty exciting. Freshman year in the NCAA's she got the ball out on the wing and was dribbling in for a lay-up. The opponent had an angle and was going to beat her to the spot. I said to myself I saw this all before, the Vandy player will flop and the ball will go the other way. Sure enough, she goes flying like she was shot out of a cannon. But Stewie never touched her, she smoothly slid to the side and fingerolled it in with the off hand. I literally got off my seat. She was a big but she wasn't nailed to the post. Like above says, 4-5 from 3 in her first Final? That's nuts.

Reaction Score
What did Stewart do as a freshman?
First freshman to be named MVP of the Paradise Jam
All-Big East Freshmen team
All-Big East Honorable Mention
NCAA Tourney East Regional MVP
29 points (10-16, 4-5 three), 5 reb, 4 blocks in tourney Final vs ND
NCAA TourneyFinal Four MVP
Is that all;)

Reaction Score
Its how you win that separates the very top tier. DT carried her last 2 teams on her back and willed them to victory. Cant say that with Stewart. Jordan hit the game-winner with the flu & an IV - Pippen did not.
Again, Stewart did not need to so its not her fault and does not take away from how great a player she was... Also, was there a game in the FF or finals that DT went flat? I recall there was and it lead to a loss.

BTW - when MJ "retired" for the first time Pippen still carried Bulls team to game 7 vs Knicks in Eastern finals. So the team was pretty strong without MJ.

Different perspectives and views, I just don't' penalize people for stuff that's not their fault, especially when they were successful and had the optimal outcome. KML went down and the team continued to win. Also Tuck went down and the team went on to win. Maybe if the starting 4 went down then she would have earned greatest..lol

Reaction Score
Jordan didn’t win till he had pippen DT had no pippen
And DT does not go against the same competition that's in the NBA, not even close but a good counter. DT also lost which Stewart did not so DT also did not get it done at times in college where you can not say that about Stewie.

Reaction Score
Sorry to dispute that, but Jefferson was the 4th or 5th guard in her freshman year behind Hartley, Dody, Faris and perhaps even Banks. She was pretty much a non factor that year. And while she made a greater contribution in her sophomore year, she was nowhere near what she became in her junior and senior years. Also Tuck was inmjured for the vast majority of the sophomore year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry to dispute that, but Jefferson was the 4th or 5th guard in her freshman year behind Hartley, Dody, Faris and perhaps even Banks. She was pretty much a non factor that year. And while she made a greater contribution in her sophomore year, she was nowhere near what she became in her junior and senior years. Also Tuck was inmjured for the vast majority of the sophomore year.
Undisputed!
1577393063105.png

Reaction Score
Again, Stewart did not need to so its not her fault and does not take away from how great a player she was... Also, was there a game in the FF or finals that DT went flat? I recall there was and it lead to a loss.

BTW - when MJ "retired" for the first time Pippen still carried Bulls team to game 7 vs Knicks in Eastern finals. So the team was pretty strong without MJ.

Different perspectives and views, I just don't' penalize people for stuff that's not their fault, especially when they were successful and had the optimal outcome. KML went down and the team continued to win. Also Tuck went down and the team went on to win. Maybe if the starting 4 went down then she would have earned greatest..lol

DT not only struggled her frosh year but in her soph year both her her and Bird struggled. Dt in her soph year finals vs Oklahoma she was 5-16 from the floor while going 0-6 from 3. So combining her frosh and soph years she was 0-17 from 3. When you speak of "stacked" - just look at that Oklahoma championship game. Cash/Jones/Williams were beasts. DT and Bird weren't.

Stewart's frosh year she put her team on her back. No-- she wasn't the only one but to take that away from vs what DT did is like saying Kobe Bryant is greater than Jordan, Kareem Jabbar etc because he won a championship without another super player while Jordan and Jabbar did have one.

As I've mentioned before you have to take the competition into account. Notre Dame's teams in Stewie's frosh and soph years were much better than the 2003-2004 team's that DT faced. The jr year - ND had no shot once Achonowa went down. But there is a reason why ND's team was "right there" in 2014-2015 vs UCONN. They were great. They were able to keep up with arguably the greatest one loss team ever while there is no way any of the 2003 /2004 teams (Tennessee, Duke, Minny and Texas) were capable of doing that of the 14-15 UCONN team. And DT didn't even face Duke in NCAA's those years.

And as for the discussion "what would Stewart have done with the 2003/2004 teams." You can't look at it like that. It's like saying what would Jabbar have done with Kobe Bryan't team in which he won a title without Shaq. OFC Jabbar is greater but there would be no one on the backcourt for the Lakers other than Derek Fisher just like there was no one in the backcourt other than Maria Conlon. Plus Kobe would defend the perimeter- with him gone Jabbar's team would be at the mercy of a perimeter team that would just collapse on him inside. He'd still score which isn't the point. The point is the 2003-2004 teams weren't build for Stewart. Though frankly just give Stewart another guard and she'd win. Look at her frosh game vs ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom