Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Too many of us on the Boneyard were defending him for years even though it was clear the team was falling apart.

For years? Until this season started, the last of his three seasons we were playing with his recruits (those who he had a full cycle to recruit) being true sophomores and true and redshirt freshmen. That's lunacy. The goal was to come here, recruit and develop his players and make us better. This is the first year you can judge him on that basis. That he couldn't win games with Diaco recruits didn't tell us anything we didn't know while Diaco was coach.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Give me a young, competent coach who may look at this job as a stepping stone. Anyone who sees this dumpster fire and wants the challenge is someone I want. I don't want another "close to the program" coach who is just here to try and return to the good ole days. I want someone from the outside that wants a modern team and is hungry to prove themselves.

Reaction Score
It was a small joke in a time of despair Biz… relax.

No one can read sarcasm on the internet. If you use it, you have to be ready that folks won't interpret it that way. You're not the only post having made that suggestion.

But o.k. He had to go. Now we know it's happening. I just don't get why that isn't enough. If he was fired immediately, I'd be fine with that to but folks have to let DB do his job. If the next coach doesn't succeed, then let's talk about Benedict.

Reaction Score
Give me a young, competent coach who may look at this job as a stepping stone. Anyone who sees this dumpster fire and wants the challenge is someone I want. I don't want another "close to the program" coach who is just here to try and return to the good ole days. I want someone from the outside that wants a modern team and is hungry to prove themselves.
As weird as it may sound, my #1 desired quality in our next coach is that he doesn't want to be here. Worked for Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Houston, Temple. String a couple good hires in a row and you look like a real program.

Reaction Score
No, keeping Corey isn't awkward for the new coach because neither Corey nor HCRE is a threat. HCRE will never coach on a college field again, and Corey is too young and inexperienced to be a threat. The only issue is whether Corey is uncomfortable being there, or if the new guy wants only coaches they have a connection to, but while in some instances having the ex-coach's son on your staff could be uncomfortable, this isn't one of them.
Says you. The new coach isn’t carrying the baton/torch from the previous staff. This is a full scale, “we’re not doing anything similar to what has been done here over the last 5+ years.” This is a huge scale shift away from doing whatever got us here. Having the fired coach’s son on the team is about as awkward as it gets. Randy Edsall’s coaching is a four letter word at UConn. We owe him NOTHING. Jesus, some of you have no idea.

Reaction Score
Says you. The new coach isn’t carrying the baton/torch from the previous staff. This is a full scale, “we’re not doing anything similar to what has been done here over the last 5+ years.” This is a huge scale shift away from doing whatever got us here. Having the fired coach’s son on the team is about as awkward as it gets. Randy Edsall’s coaching is a four letter word at UConn. We owe him NOTHING. Jesus, some of you have no idea.
The irrational hatred for losing is beyond me. No one is suggesting Corey Edsall be retained because he or Randy Edsall earned that right. They are suggesting he established himself as a successful recruiter who could help a staff as the junior guy.

Reaction Score
For years? Until this season started, the last of his three seasons we were playing with his recruits (those who he had a full cycle to recruit) being true sophomores and true and redshirt freshmen. That's lunacy. The goal was to come here, recruit and develop his players and make us better. This is the first year you can judge him on that basis. That he couldn't win games with Diaco recruits didn't tell us anything we didn't know while Diaco was coach.
Many of us were sharply criticized for pointing out how lousy the team was doing under Randy. I am not so sure the Diaco recruits were so much worse than Randy's. Many appear better. We at least got to a bowl game and won some major victories under Diaco.

Now, a bunch of our former AAC teams are in or will be heading to P5, while we have to crawl back from being a dumpster fire of a FB program. Hope the next coach can get us to top 30, so we have a shot at being at P4 or P5. If Benedict can't do it, get rid of him too. The state of CT needs accountability with these expensive sports programs.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
As it probably should. At the end of the day if they fired Randy who would take over the program? Do we really think there is anyone on the staff that could do better than him?
Sometimes naming a popular (with the players) assistant as interim coach will keep the players motivated to play well so the interim guy might get the head coaching job. But that doesn't seem like a credible scenario in this case. Do you think Randy had the class to tell his team that he was retiring before the University announced it? Did he even have enough time to do it? Will they bring back Paul Pasquoloni?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be opposed to Corey Edsall staying. He's been one of the most successful recruiters employed at UConn and clearly cultivates meaningful relationships with players. Retaining him may help limit roster turnover and keep the class intact.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Did you attend games at the Rent during RE V1? If you did, you realize Randy was the guy who created that. We all owe him for those wonderful experiences. If you didn't sit there for the wins over #2 ranked USF, beating West Virginia, 4th down against Pitt, DJ Hernandez against Pitt, beating Schiano's a**, etc, then you don't have the feel for the program like the those that did.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The best thing he could have done for the school, programs and the players.

Now let's hope they can eck out a couple of wins for the next coaching staff that will have something to build on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

In Dave Benedict we trust…

I don't trust him as far as I can throw him

now it’s his choice to stick around and make sure to destroy as much of it as possible.
Who says journalism isn't dead.................
Look, I am glad he has decided to part ways but I will bet my house he has no intentions of destroying the program. He isn't an effective bench coach pure and simple, but he is not a sinister person in any way
This will give them the time to pick the best coach possible for this program without the crap of wondering if they'll fire him every week.
If DB wanted to fire him or pay him while he steps down immediately he could have but he didn't - so in this case DB is just as guilty as RE

Reaction Score
The irrational hatred for losing is beyond me. No one is suggesting Corey Edsall be retained because he or Randy Edsall earned that right. They are suggesting he established himself as a successful recruiter who could help a staff as the junior guy.
It’s not irrational hatred. It’s called emotional intelligence. Let’s assume the next coach is a decent human being. A decent human being wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone on his staff. Yet that’s exactly what would happen if the next coach speaks openly and honestly about what’s broken with UConn football. Corey Edsall’s father failed miserably in his second stint at UConn. No coach would want the added burden of having to protect a junior staff member’s feelings while turning this burning ship around. It’s why the term “clean house” exists. Get a clue

Reaction Score
Is Benedict going to issue a statement now that UConn is committed to staying in FBS. Hope not one of the reasons Randy is leaving is that there is a move to push it down to FCS. A statement should come from Benedict, Board of Trustees, Interim President, so it is clear where the program is heading.

Reaction Score
We're such an undesirable coaching gig that it might work out in our favor. All an upstart coach needs to do is win a few games here and they'll be hailed nationally as a rising star in the coaching ranks.
Yup let a coach get us to a 6 win team and then Keep the cycle moving. Fun games. Competitive. That’s all we need

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s not irrational hatred. It’s called emotional intelligence. Let’s assume the next coach is a decent human being. A decent human being wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone on his staff. Yet that’s exactly what would happen if the next coach speaks openly and honestly about what’s broken with UConn football. Corey Edsall’s father failed miserably in his second stint at UConn. No coach would want the added burden of having to protect a junior staff member’s feelings while turning this burning ship around. It’s why the term “clean house” exists. Get a clue
emotional intelligence = irrational ranting

Reaction Score
Is Benedict going to issue a statement now that UConn is committed to staying in FBS. Hope one of the reasons Randy is leaving is that there is a move to push it down to FCS. A statement should come from Benedict, Board of Trustees, Interim President, so it is clear where the program is heading.
Dan Toscano the head of the BOT is as obsessed with UConn athletics as the rest of us. They aren’t moving down.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Is Benedict going to issue a statement now that UConn is committed to staying in FBS. Hope one of the reasons Randy is leaving is that there is a move to push it down to FCS. A statement should come from Benedict, Board of Trustees, Interim President, so it is clear where the program is heading.
A) your not a LOYAL FAN- so please change your name. B) in what world do you think that we are going to the financial sinkhole FCS? We have better facilities than half of P5 schools. There is no reason to make that kind of statement.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
To be serious as a mid-tier FBS team, you need to add $500k-$1M to HC and also to asst coach pool. Good coordinators are $750k each.
I agree with you but I’m also trying to be somewhat realistic with our current financial situation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom