Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Did you attend games at the Rent during RE V1? If you did, you realize Randy was the guy who created that. We all owe him for those wonderful experiences. If you didn't sit there for the wins over #2 ranked USF, beating West Virginia, 4th down against Pitt, DJ Hernandez against Pitt, beating Schiano's a**, etc, then you don't have the feel for the program like the those that did.
I did. I went to every home game at Memorial Stadium and quite a few away games as well during my undergrad years in the 80s too. Randy left (in a rather distasteful way) after the Fiesta Bowl loss. If we allowed him to get his “dream job,” then, you’re welcome Randy. I’m grateful for those years. We got respectability and some success, and Randy got a promotion to big time college football. End of story. We hired him back (still a strange move in my opinion) and he took the money and failed. We can stop the statue-building plans.

Reaction Score
It’s not irrational hatred. It’s called emotional intelligence. Let’s assume the next coach is a decent human being. A decent human being wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone on his staff. Yet that’s exactly what would happen if the next coach speaks openly and honestly about what’s broken with UConn football. Corey Edsall’s father failed miserably in his second stint at UConn. No coach would want the added burden of having to protect a junior staff member’s feelings while turning this burning ship around. It’s why the term “clean house” exists. Get a clue

This is a complete non issue. If the next coach thinks Corey will add value they will offer him a job.

Reaction Score
I don't trust him as far as I can throw him

now it’s his choice to stick around and make sure to destroy as much of it as possible.
Who says journalism isn't dead.................
Look, I am glad he has decided to part ways but I will bet my house he has no intentions of destroying the program. He isn't an effective bench coach pure and simple, but he is not a sinister person in any way
This will give them the time to pick the best coach possible for this program without the crap of wondering if they'll fire him every week.
If DB wanted to fire him or pay him while he steps down immediately he could have but he didn't - so in this case DB is just as guilty as RE
I’m sorry, I have no clue what the point you are trying make is? Who are you talking about w/ the sentence you bolded. It wasn’t in the release I posted and you responded to?

Reaction Score
I think this a BS move all around. He and the coaches will not be recruiting at all or if they are with no chance success. Come play for the next guy at UConn. We will let you know who he is sometime.

He should have been fired. The team will be no better with him versus an interim head coach until the end of the year. If DB sacked up and fired him, an interim coach and remain8ng staff would be on an audition And could have had a chance recruiting and build a reason to be retained. The next coach will not be named until the end of their season so that is about 90 days of no recruiting. That is a pretty big hole.
I agree- This is a classic CT move.
We keep paying employees for poor performance. The past 2 UConn Presidents and now the football coach. Give them a nice severance package and tell them to move on. I am sure most of us in Boneyard- have jobs and positions that we are held to a certain standard otherwise we get the boot.

As many have mentioned the recruits get the short end of the stick. I hope they all get a degree and can finish their football careers on their terms

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why?
There are those in the state of CT who would like UConn FB to drop to FCS, or even get rid of FB all together, the way former Yankee Conference members Vermont and BU did.

Reaction Score
This is a complete non issue. If the next coach thinks Corey will add value they will offer him a job.
The next coach must have 100% control over his staff. Everyone on this staff does not have a job at UConn after the season ends unless the new coach wants them. If DB makes retention of some coaches a requirement, then say goodbye to getting anyone that has ambition and a vision Of how to build a program.

Reaction Score
We need to hear a commitment to FBS from those in charge of the university. Otherwise, I can just imagine the awful coach we will wind up with.

Reaction Score
Yup let a coach get us to a 6 win team and then Keep the cycle moving. Fun games. Competitive. That’s all we need

Agreed. Rinse & repeat. Let's at least climb back to respectability with this next hire. The harder part will be to develop that knack for lining up talented replacements, but let's worry about finding the right guy to lead us off.

Reaction Score
I think prime candidate number 1 just beat us 24 hrs ago. Still looking for prime candidate number 2.
No, No,No. did you watch him on the Field. Walked around the whole game with his clipboard harassing the refs and not in any of the sideline huddles . Didn’t appear involved with his players At all.
This is a make or break time for UCONN Football. This is a time to “aim high”. , not time to take a risk with a lower level coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I would love to see an Athletic Director fire a new coach in the introductory press conference if the coach started making excuses before he coached his first game.

Reaction Score
Those of you who follow college football closely need to start a new post listing possible replacements for Edsall. Their strengths and weaknesses. Most of us want to be bowl-bound in a couple of years, and after that working toward getting in the top 25 year after year. Who can provide the leadership?

Reaction Score
The other position I want to see is a “Director of Prep School Relations” on the recruiting staff side of the house. This state is FLUSH with prep school talent in the Hartford area and Southern CT. We have to be able to tap into that going forwards.
Smart idea

Reaction Score
It’s not irrational hatred. It’s called emotional intelligence. Let’s assume the next coach is a decent human being. A decent human being wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone on his staff. Yet that’s exactly what would happen if the next coach speaks openly and honestly about what’s broken with UConn football. Corey Edsall’s father failed miserably in his second stint at UConn. No coach would want the added burden of having to protect a junior staff member’s feelings while turning this burning ship around. It’s why the term “clean house” exists. Get a clue

lol!

Referring to emotional intelligence in a Boneyard post is funny enough. But to then end the post with an insult is priceless.

Reaction Score
Those of you who follow college football closely need to start a new post listing possible replacements for Edsall. Their strengths and weaknesses. Most of us want to be bowl-bound in a couple of years, and after that working toward getting in the top 25 year after year. Who can provide the leadership?
If we knew we'd be making big money in an athletic department somewhere

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There's something poetic about all this.

The first time Edsall left us, he hurt the program unimaginably.

The second time he leaves the program, he just may help the program unimaginably.

Hopefully, karma will finally shine on the Huskies...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom