Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Good. Probably the best way for all of this to go down. And it needed to go down. Looking forward to a new chapter.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I honestly don't care if it was Edsalls call or Benedict's call. It probably was somewhere in the middle. I am just glad it is done.

I am glad that they didn't hesitate...it's rare to see something like this after two games. Even if the change needed was obvious...it still doesn't usually happen. Kudos to Edsall and Benedict for dealing with reality and coming to an agreement.

And I am glad he is finishing the season. By announcing it now they can openly recruit his replacement. This won't hurt the hiring process at all and allows for some continuity for the players this season. It might even help keep recruits. And I am glad that Randy can leave on his own terms. I still have appreciation for how he built the program and I may be naive, but I really think he came back to get the program on track.

It didn't work...and now we are moving on.

Also...I don't get the love for the HC coach. He seemed fine..but I didn't see a well oiled machine out there. There was some bad penalties.. questionable play calling and poor QB play. I would love to get Moorhead...but he is making over $1mm now and it will take a lot of creativity for Benedict to find a way to afford him. And please please please have a good budget for assistants.

Reaction Score
I think Boneyard comments had something to do with the announcement that Randy is leaving. Let's have a unified front that we want a decent coach as his replacement!

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is a football coach who succeeded in his first stint at UConn and failed at Maryland and (having failed astoundingly) his UConn second tenure. LIke most human beings, he has good personal qualities and bad personal qualities. Why some people need to act like he's a cross between Machiavelli and the Devil is beyond my comprehension.
Randy could have left much sooner, once he saw things were falling apart. I don't think we have to turn him into a saint.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Unreal. I know you're smarter than that.
college gameday sport GIF

Reaction Score
Brilliant move by Edsall. It makes it harder for DB to fire him before the end of the season if he announced he is stepping down. Now we have to keep an out-of-touch dinosaur as Head Coach for the rest of the season when literally anyone else in charge would be an improvement over what has happened the first 2 games.
This^. A competent AD would say, “No thanks, I’m calling the shots here and you’re retiring effective immediately.” The “Thanks for Everything Randy Tour,” is an embarrassmen. Par for the course with Benedict.

Reaction Score
The end of the season is too far away. He should have just resigned for some fake medical thing and moved on. It's nice that we will have a new coach next year, but fans cannot take another 0-12 season
I agree with leaving like now!

Reaction Score
I want a even crappier coach as his replacement.
The way a lot of people on the Boneyard think, they would jump for joy if we got the coach at Central CT or Sacred Heart. We need a stellar person in charge. There is a long way to go to get UConn to the top 40.

Reaction Score
Can AD Dave convince Rhett’s wife CT isn’t as bad as she thought it was first time around and offer him the position and UConn finally gets to see an offense worth watching?

Reaction Score
I think Boneyard comments had something to do with the announcement that Randy is leaving. Let's have a unified front that we want a decent coach as his replacement!
I highly doubt the Boneyard has such influence. I won't pile on Randy, he has had his ups and downs and was fighting an uphill battle, but I believe his heart is with the program, and perhaps a change ahead was inevitable. This may work out well for both Randy and the football program as we move down the road.

Reaction Score
So your response to he's not the Devil is that that's making him a saint?

God, the internet sucks.
Too many of us on the Boneyard were defending him for years even though it was clear the team was falling apart.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is a football coach who succeeded in his first stint at UConn and failed at Maryland and (having failed astoundingly) his UConn second tenure. LIke most human beings, he has good personal qualities and bad personal qualities. Why some people need to act like he's a cross between Machiavelli and the Devil is beyond my comprehension.
I liked how he built up the program but it was pretty clear he had maxed out and was an unchanging dinosaur coaching in a sport that was drastically changing. I lost all respect for him when he did what he did with Todman and all his players and couldn't believe they hired him back.

Not the devil but I think he's shown what kind of guy he is and it's not my type of guy, even besides the no winning I haven't liked how he's handled himself in his second stint. The idea he's some mastermind setting this up for his son is insane, he got fired after the game and this is how Benedict wants it to play out.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Oh for Gods sake. Corey Edsall is not getting the head coaching job at UConn, unless Randy wins the next gubernatorial election and takes over the Board of Trustees.

Can we stop with the lunacy?
It was a small joke in a time of despair Biz… relax.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom