Randy Edsall on the Big East... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on the Big East...

Reaction Score
Bowl tie-ins?

Pfffft. I don’t care what’s the contract for the MAC or CUSA or SunBelt. If you are a Blazer wearing local businessman, you choose UCONN over Middle Tennessee or Western Michigan

Honestly. Win a National Championships in the next 5 years. In Hoop. Do you think Brand means nothing to a a weed eater company. (Tongue in cheek)

Reaction Score
If UConn is consistently winning again, 7/8 wins, I think you'll see 20k in the stands and maybe get into the 30ks if a former rival comes to the Rent.

The alternative was 4,000 people against Tulane, with a 2/3 win team.

That's like the Steve Martin bit, on how to be a millionaire and not pay taxes? "First, get a million bucks."

Our roster is currently insufficient, and while it's great that young men who were close to committing to us when this was announced are believing the bull manure that they're being fed, this will make recruiting at the level Edsall used to recruit almost impossible, which makes getting to 7/8 wins consistently almost impossible. We are in a death cycle. I wish I could ignore it and wait until it plays out to recognize it, but make no mistake -- we are in it.

Reaction Score
Yeah cuz thats not already happening. L-o-l

Of course it's already been happening. But the possibility of getting better was there as long as you could tell recruits our league was strong enough that if you win it, you probably get a major bowl game. That pitch is now dead.

Reaction Score
We shall see

Nobody walks away from the amount of capital investment we all can see within a short drive. This ain’t Sears. They’re options

I would love to be wrong about this Pudge. But I'm not a doom and gloom guy. As awful as the football was last year, I hadn't given up on, slowly but surely, Edsall building us back up to where we were.

But I just don't see how it's possible. I'm not sure it's going great for BYU, and they're light years ahead of us in being able to make it work. I know how it's going for UMass.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's like the Steve Martin bit, on how to be a millionaire and not pay taxes? "First, get a million bucks."

Our roster is currently insufficient, and while it's great that young men who were close to committing to us when this was announced are believing the bull manure that they're being fed, this will make recruiting at the level Edsall used to recruit almost impossible, which makes getting to 7/8 wins consistently almost impossible. We are in a death cycle. I wish I could ignore it and wait until it plays out to recognize it, but make no mistake -- we are in it.

The basic difference we have is you and others think Edsall (and UConn) could recruit well enough to consistently compete in a southern mid major football league - I don't think that was in the cards. The loss of BCS/P5 status and any regional identity would always be an uphill battle fighting with one hand tied behind our back.

If we give Edsall the time to reset the roster, with a softer schedule, I believe we can get back to winning.

Maybe it's just me, but give me a few teams I care about playing each year (regional team(s), or lower tier P5 teams), a road buy game vs top teams (think Clemson), and then fill out the rest with MAC, C-USA, Indies, and a local FCS, whatever, and I can get behind rooting for this team on and would make me get back in the car from NJ and buy tickets again.

Call me what you will, but I was never again making the 6-7 hr round trips to The Rent to see us struggle in the AAC year in year out. Conference title be damned, I just never would have cared about the AAC.

Reaction Score
And just got another 2020 commitment. I'd like to believer there is no way all these kids are committing to UConn (or any school in flux). That's 3 or 4 new commits since the move was announced.

This is when the commitments always start coming in.

Reaction Score
I would love to be wrong about this Pudge. But I'm not a doom and gloom guy. As awful as the football was last year, I hadn't given up on, slowly but surely, Edsall building us back up to where we were.

But I just don't see how it's possible. I'm not sure it's going great for BYU, and they're light years ahead of us in being able to make it work. I know how it's going for UMass.

Way too many headwinds now

There is no tailwind

Death is certain soon for us

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still blame ESPN, Blumenthal and The Big East when they could have been a player instead of being played. The AAC and Aresco have some blame as well with this past contract and not letting UConn keep the SNY for Women's basketball.
Depression?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no tailwind
What about the ticket sales site crashing right after the announcement? The added juice of a rejuvenated basketball program will help the prospects of the FB team. The status quo would have killed everything.

Reaction Score
What about the ticket sales site crashing right after the announcement? The added juice of a rejuvenated basketball program will help the prospects of the FB team. The status quo would have killed everything.

That’s not really a tailwind yet. That’s just whatever something is before it becomes a theory.

I hope you’re right. But I really don’t think basketball fans have ever done anything substantial to help UConn Football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. But I really don’t think basketball fans have ever done anything substantial to help UConn Football.
Don't kid yourself, buddy. Hoop fans built the Rent and put plenty of fannies in seats. I'm a BB fan and I bought Fiesta Bowl tickets from the school, fer cryin' out loud.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It is a company statement. Relying on the admin, B o T, & AD Dave? Okay. But we’ll need a little more intel from them.

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself, buddy. Hoop fans built the Rent and put plenty of fannies in seats. I'm a BB fan and I bought Fiesta Bowl tickets from the school, fer cryin' out loud.

Not enough did the same. There’s always been a negative undercurrent coming from those people. Normal fanbases have nearly 100% crossover. These are also the same peeps that stopped buying basketball tickets too.

Reaction Score
It seems clear alright. The plan is ultimatly FCS or no football. Unless FOX decides to help us out with scheduling and cash, that is. Sad day for the University of Connecticut.
But everybody keeps quoting the proverbial "UConn is committed to fb at fbs level" quote.

Gotta be true if everyone keeps saying it

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How so? Aren't you making a huge leap that the leak came fo the UConn camp and not the Big East/Big East conference school camp?

it got leaked here by multiple people. one flat out said it was pc

Reaction Score
If a 3-0 UConn team is taking on a 3-0, 2-1 Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers team, you don't think 25k/30k is a reasonable guess?
It's a crap shoot. The fans have to feel like a) there is a possible win a nf 2) the game means something.

Past couple seasons those haven't lined up well. Especially the former.

Reaction Score
The basic difference we have is you and others think Edsall (and UConn) could recruit well enough to consistently compete in a southern mid major football league - I don't think that was in the cards. The loss of BCS/P5 status and any regional identity would always be an uphill battle fighting with one hand tied behind our back.

If we give Edsall the time to reset the roster, with a softer schedule, I believe we can get back to winning.

Maybe it's just me, but give me a few teams I care about playing each year (regional team(s), or lower tier P5 teams), a road buy game vs top teams (think Clemson), and then fill out the rest with MAC, C-USA, Indies, and a local FCS, whatever, and I can get behind rooting for this team on and would make me get back in the car from NJ and buy tickets again.

Call me what you will, but I was never again making the 6-7 hr round trips to The Rent to see us struggle in the AAC year in year out. Conference title be damned, I just never would have cared about the AAC.
Winning? Against who?
Beating up on the dregs of fbs, of which UConn has been for 3 seasons isn't exciting anyone.

Was trying to see some positive but BizLaw is bringing me down. Having a hard time adjusting to that reality he's painting, bit its pretty obvious if you remove emotion.

We couldn't compete in AAC. Now we're suddenly ND?

Reaction Score
We have to give Randy Edsall a year or two to clean up the mess that coaches PP and Diaco created. It would not shock me to even see UConn beat Illinois this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
The added juice of a rejuvenated basketball program will help the prospects of the FB team.

I think this is wishful thinking. They made a decision to sacrifice one program for the other. It's a decision that probably had to be made. No sense in being delusional about it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Winning? Against who?
Beating up on the dregs of fbs, of which UConn has been for 3 seasons isn't exciting anyone.

Was trying to see some positive but BizLaw is bringing me down. Having a hard time adjusting to that reality he's painting, bit its pretty obvious if you remove emotion.

We couldn't compete in AAC. Now we're suddenly ND?

Yes, we should be scheduling home and homes with USC, Michigan, Stanford among others. No exceptions.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Not enough did the same. There’s always been a negative undercurrent coming from those people. Normal fanbases have nearly 100% crossover. These are also the same peeps that stopped buying basketball tickets too.
This.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst says during BOT meeting that she is eager to discuss Big East but added that she and Benedict must respect Big East process, which is essentially keep mouths shut until tomorrow’s announcement.

I wish she and the DB had taken this strategy in regards to their mouths years ago. Yeah lets respect a league that is floundering stick it to its newest member

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom