Randy Edsall on the Big East... | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on the Big East...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well there it is. There is no plan for football. I think we all knew that, but seeing it in print brings the message home. Oh well time to go plant a rumor with Tuxedo Yoda that we are going to the Big 12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well there it is. There is no plan for football. I think we all new that, but seeing it in print brings the message home. Oh well time to go plant a rumor with Tuxedo Yoda that we are going to the Big 12.

It seems clear alright. The plan is ultimatly FCS or no football. Unless FOX decides to help us out with scheduling and cash, that is. Sad day for the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
2020 is obviously "up in the air" as UConn has 4 games scheduled and limited options. Even if Edsall knew something he could not publicize anything at this juncture. We all hope there is a plan. The pressure is on the AD and not Edsall. Creating a 2020 schedule with no assistance from either Fox or cooperation from the AAC is a huge lift.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I can't imagine us going to FCS with our facilities. Otherwise, we have the best ever for that level. We would need to move back to campus though with our crowd being 1990's levels with Skip.

Reaction Score
Well that is pretty much the opposite of an endorsement of the decision.

This statement is frankly a bit amateurish and disappointing. He could have toed the party line with much more outward-facing optimism, while still making it clear he wasn’t a decision-maker on this.

The ironic part is the statement is very much about making sure everyone knows what Randy Edsall thinks about this, while at the same time being couched in cringe-worthy “TEAM” terminology. Putting the team ahead of yourself never seems to apply to Randy himself.

This isn’t about the merits of the decision. What’s done is done. It’s about framing how people are going to look at UConn football going forward. This borderline petulant display of tweeting and issuing non-supportive statements is certainly not helpful to the program.

Reaction Score
I rather have Randy be honest than sugar coat things. I have confidence in the football team this season, that they will do the best they can, even with an uncertain future.

Reaction Score
I disagree with that -- I think it's more about driving home the point that they won't let this distract the team and the focus is on the season ahead, not the season after that.
^^^
This

I can’t believe there are so many whiners on this board. Geez.
It’s almost pathetic actually.
The statement simply says you deal with what’s in front of you. It would be foolish to start speculating now on 2020 when you have to prepare for 2019. The last thing this young team needs is to be worrying about where/ whom they’ll be playing a year from now.

If this is how some people act over adversity/sudden change in sport I wonder how you deal with life? Especially if you have spouses, children, jobs....

Get a grip

Reaction Score
I disagree with that -- I think it's more about driving home the point that they won't let this distract the team and the focus is on the season ahead, not the season after that.
Thank you for being the only reasonable person in this entire thread. Yes Edsall cant talk because the negotiations are obviously on going. This is as neutral a statement as Edsall could have made. Trust the process and let the leaders lead.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nothing Randy can say when his boss and his boss say don't say anything. All he can do is prepare for the next game - this is vintage Randy and quite frankly, coach speak. He doesn't control the purse strings nor the scheduling, all he can do is win.

Reaction Score
“On to Wagner College”

CDF5A85D-37C6-4467-93F2-B1FF145D9EC6.gif

Reaction Score
UCONN football is not dead. It may be down, but its now out.

The University is just taking a longer route to success. They are going to use the Big East to re-invigorate the athletic department with the hopes that it can drive enthusiasm across the fan base and the student body. But I feel long-term they will continue trying to improve the football program and get back at a high level. The move was a financial decision, because lets be honest, who can afford to bleed $41 million a year and fly out all their olympic programs across the country?

It doesn't have to be a UConn FB vs UConn basketball rift. We are all on this together. UCONN has all the conditions to be successful school like it was in the 2000s.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Thank you for being the only reasonable person in this entire thread. Yes Edsall cant talk because the negotiations are obviously on going. This is as neutral a statement as Edsall could have made. Trust the process and let the leaders lead.

If you think this is a neutral statement, and aren’t able to pick up on the fact that he is clearly pissed, I don’t know what to say.

Here’s a translation:

1. I was not involved in this decision.
2. The decision-makers are doing what they *think* is best for the school.
3. FB is an afterthought here; there is not yet a plan for what to do with football.
4. This is not a positive development from my perspective (see references to “distraction”; a move to the Big10, for example, would not be characterized as a potential “distraction”).
5. Don’t blame me if this all goes sideways.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is a possibility that we can't get out until after the 20-21 season, so he really can't comment on what lies ahead after this year.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I suspect if there are some football options on the table, Benedict is explaining those to the Board of Trustees. If there are no options don't be surprised if some on the board try to delay the vote.
These things usually don't go to a vote without a result being known beforehand. The BE isn't offering an invite with the chance we shoot it down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom