Randy Edsall on the Big East... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on the Big East...

Reaction Score
These things usually don't go to a vote without a result being known beforehand. The BE isn't offering an invite with the chance we shoot it down.
That may be the case with a private university where things are often done in secret. There are all sorts of regulations governing UConn as a state university. There is a chance too something is unraveling.

Reaction Score
Or if there is something wonderful in the works, that no one can talk about, involving Fox Sports, SNY and teams from the B10 and B12 -- maybe Benedict is briefing the board on that. That would be nice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That may be the case with a private university where things are often done in secret. There are all sorts of regulations governing UConn as a state university. There is a chance too something is unraveling.
You keep hoping

Reaction Score
Well there it is. There is no plan for football. I think we all new that, but seeing it in print brings the message home. Oh well time to go plant a rumor with Tuxedo Yoda that we are going to the Big 12.
There’s a plan and Randy is fully aware of it.

Schultz was the only german who knew everything but said nothing. He never got sent to the Russian front and would never be tried as a war criminal. He masterfully walked that tightrope.

Randy just wants the press off his back so he can do his job.

Reaction Score
Well there it is. There is no plan for football. I think we all new that, but seeing it in print brings the message home. Oh well time to go plant a rumor with Tuxedo Yoda that we are going to the Big 12.

You don't really believe this.

We have YAHOOS here who have a Plan for our Football future. Trust me … there's a Mueller report sized document on their desks - it is a higher ed institution. It is a tough tough spot; but … I am feeling more sanguine about it. I don't join others in … RIP.

Reaction Score
If you think this is a neutral statement, and aren’t able to pick up on the fact that he is clearly pissed, I don’t know what to say.

Here’s a translation:

1. I was not involved in this decision.
2. The decision-makers are doing what they *think* is best for the school.
3. FB is an afterthought here; there is not yet a plan for what to do with football.
4. This is not a positive development from my perspective (see references to “distraction”; a move to the Big10, for example, would not be characterized as a potential “distraction”).
5. Don’t blame me if this all goes sideways.

Then.

Herbst & Benedict have consulted Edsall for years on this. He isn't a decision maker. Never was on this broad point. But … he has a far better AD relationship and control than he did in 1.0. He has to be integral to the solution; if you see any waiver, let us know. He needs to lead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Associated Press: UConn Football Coach Unsure of Future After Move From AAC.

Hmm, doesn’t strike me as a very “neutral” statement. This is the entirely foreseeable result of Randy’s statement.
Again we are so small time in our approach. A couple of tweaks to Randy's statement and reads like this.

"I have been getting a lot questions about the university's move to the Big East and what mean to UConn football. Given where we are in that process, there's a limitation to what I can say. First let me say that the university's commitment to playing and completing at the highest level is unwavering. Yesterday we just released a video of the tremendous new locker room facilities that we built for our football team. I believe it it is among the best in the nation. That is a statement of what football means to this university, its fans and its donors. My job is continue to make sure that our student athletes have every tool to compete at the highest level. If you look at training facilites, the new locker room, the Burton and Shenkman buildings and Rentschler Field, I think we've done that and more. As we head into the season, our job is compete on the field and we've been working hard to make sure we do just that. I am excited about what we will do on the field this year and in the years to come. Regarding how we are going to schedule and our affiliation, I'm going to suggest that everyone have faith in the university, our athletic director and the board of trustees, just as I do. All I can say at this time is they are hard at work and I hope to be able to give you a little more detail in the weeks to come. Until that time I won't talk about that process but I am happy to talk about the team and season."

Reaction Score
Again we are so small time in our approach. A couple of tweaks to Randy's statement and reads like this.

"I have been getting a lot questions about the university's move to the Big East and what mean to UConn football. Given where we are in that process, there's a limitation to what I can say. First let me say that the university's commitment to playing and completing at the highest level is unwavering. Yesterday we just released a video of the tremendous new locker room facilities that we built for our football team. I believe it it is among the best in the nation. That is a statement of what football means to this university, its fans and its donors. My job is continue to make sure that our student athletes have every tool to compete at the highest level. If you look at training facilites, the new locker room, the Burton and Shenkman buildings and Rentschler Field, I think we've done that and more. As we head into the season, our job is compete on the field and we've been working hard to make sure we do just that. I am excited about what we will do on the field this year and in the years to come. Regarding how we are going to schedule and our affiliation, I'm going to suggest that everyone have faith in the university, our athletic director and the board of trustees, just as I do. All I can say at this time is they are hard at work and I hope to be able to give you a little more detail in the weeks to come. Until that time I won't talk about that process but I am happy to talk about the team and season."

100% on-the-nose perfect. That is exactly what Randy’s statement would look like if we were running a professional operation.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
If you think this is a neutral statement, and aren’t able to pick up on the fact that he is clearly pissed, I don’t know what to say.

Here’s a translation:

1. I was not involved in this decision.
2. The decision-makers are doing what they *think* is best for the school.
3. FB is an afterthought here; there is not yet a plan for what to do with football.
4. This is not a positive development from my perspective (see references to “distraction”; a move to the Big10, for example, would not be characterized as a potential “distraction”).
5. Don’t blame me if this all goes sideways when we lose to Wagner.

FTFY.

Reaction Score
Well that is pretty much the opposite of an endorsement of the decision.

This statement is frankly a bit amateurish and disappointing. He could have toed the party line with much more outward-facing optimism, while still making it clear he wasn’t a decision-maker on this.

The ironic part is the statement is very much about making sure everyone knows what Randy Edsall thinks about this, while at the same time being couched in cringe-worthy “TEAM” terminology. Putting the team ahead of yourself never seems to apply to Randy himself.

This isn’t about the merits of the decision. What’s done is done. It’s about framing how people are going to look at UConn football going forward. This borderline petulant display of tweeting and issuing non-supportive statements is certainly not helpful to the program.

Please. If he spoke about how great this was for football without a friggin plan for moving forward, he'd be lying through his teeth and everyone would know it. So his choices were telling obvious lies or making lukewarm statements that he understood the decision. If he picked the former, he'd be criticized for that.

Reaction Score
Save us, Randy.

drowning.jpg

Reaction Score
Thank you for being the only reasonable person in this entire thread. Yes Edsall cant talk because the negotiations are obviously on going. This is as neutral a statement as Edsall could have made. Trust the process and let the leaders lead.
It was very much an Edsall like statement. He isn’t happy but he isn’t quitting and doesn’t want his team to quit either. And he is practicing what he would preach. If everyone does his or her job things will be ok.

Reaction Score
It was very much an Edsall like statement. He isn’t happy but he isn’t quitting and doesn’t want his team to quit either. And he is practicing what he would preach. If everyone does his or her job things will be ok.

Just to be clear no, things won't be o.k. He and his team have to do what they can do, but rest assured -- it will not be enough to keep us in FBS long term. At some point recruits will not come to play in front of 4000 people against Lehigh in a 40,000 seat stadium.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just to be clear no, things won't be o.k. He and his team have to do what they can do, but rest assured -- it will not be enough to keep us in FBS long term. At some point recruits will not come to play in front of 4000 people against Lehigh in a 40,000 seat stadium.

If UConn is consistently winning again, 7/8 wins, I think you'll see 20k in the stands and maybe get into the 30ks if a former rival comes to the Rent.

The alternative was 4,000 people against Tulane, with a 2/3 win team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anyone else read, "So I'm leaving the..." and their heart skip a beat?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom