Randy Edsall on the Big East... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on the Big East...

Reaction Score
Just to be clear no, things won't be o.k. He and his team have to do what they can do, but rest assured -- it will not be enough to keep us in FBS long term. At some point recruits will not come to play in front of 4000 people against Lehigh in a 40,000 seat stadium.
Yeah cuz thats not already happening. L-o-l

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
2020 is obviously "up in the air" as UConn has 4 games scheduled and limited options. Even if Edsall knew something he could not publicize anything at this juncture. We all hope there is a plan. The pressure is on the AD and not Edsall. Creating a 2020 schedule with no assistance from either Fox or cooperation from the AAC is a huge lift.

I can see it coming. At the end of the 2019 season, Benedict will say, "We tried our hardest, but could not find eight schools willing to play us in 2020. Therefore, effective immediately, we are discontinuing the football program."

He will blame it on scheduling in a disingenuous attempt to take the blame off of Suzy and him for killing close to 120 years of Husky football.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I disagree with that -- I think it's more about driving home the point that they won't let this distract the team and the focus is on the season ahead, not the season after that.

That's because there may be no season after 2019. One financial problem is involved if 2019 is the last season. We'd have to pay the buyout clause on all the games already on the schedules for 2020 and beyond. That will probably amount to millions of dollars.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I can't imagine us going to FCS with our facilities. Otherwise, we have the best ever for that level. We would need to move back to campus though with our crowd being 1990's levels with Skip.

They won't build a new on campus football stadium, even if it's bleachers on both sides of the playing field. The soccer stadium will be dual purpose...M/W soccer and FCS football. They better install field turf in the unlikely event that ever happens.

Reaction Score
I really didn't not get the same DOOM message from the Edsall statement as others here. All he is saying is that he's either not privy or not willing to talk about the next move. What else can he say?
He said what he could. No I don't think the program is over...at least not yet.

Reaction Score
Stop with the Doom & Gloom

It’s not RIP UConn Football. It’s just not. Stop with the death of all Football. Please. They’ll adjust.

We have GREAT facilities for our peer competition. (Except Clemson). I don’t think we will care if we miss UCF or SMU. Somehow we will figure it out.

We gave up the dream of P5. In fact, it’s clear that the tide is going elsewhere

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I really didn't not get the same DOOM message from the Edsall statement as others here. All he is saying is that he's either not privy or not willing to talk about the next move. What else can he say?

True enough, but if he knows what the plan is he could simply say it will be announced sometime in the future. That leads me to believe there is no plan, or if there is, he hasn't been told what it is. The way this athletic dept. is run, that wouldn't surprise me.

It sucks that Edsall had to find out about this from some obscure sports website that seems like Wayne and Garth reporting from their basement. It's the AD's fault that this news leaked out early. Edsall deserves to be royally pissed. If the program is headed toward extinction, I wouln't blame him if he quits, and I'm no big fan of his. If I were him, I wouldn't want to stick around and watch these AD bozos kill what's left of it. Good luck hiring a new coach if Edsall leaves.

With the exception of Edsall, Auriemma, Hurley, Stevens, the other successful coaches, and all of their assistants and staff, the whole rest of the AD should be gutted. Accomplished, commited and experienced folks from FBS level schools should be hired as replacements.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I still blame ESPN, Blumenthal and The Big East when they could have been a player instead of being played. The AAC and Aresco have some blame as well with this past contract and not letting UConn keep the SNY for Women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Stop with the Doom & Gloom

It’s not RIP UConn Football. It’s just not. Stop with the death of all Football. Please. They’ll adjust.

We have GREAT facilities for our peer competition. (Except Clemson). I don’t think we will care if we miss UCF or SMU. Somehow we will figure it out.

We gave up the dream of P5. In fact, it’s clear that the tide is going elsewhere

It is RIP for UCONN football. Wish I was wrong. I think Coach Edsall knows it too.

Cannot imagine the amount of kids that are in the transport portal next year.

Reaction Score
If a 3-0 UConn team is taking on a 3-0, 2-1 Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers team, you don't think 25k/30k is a reasonable guess?

Correct. There is nothing to play for as an independent. Already poor recruiting will get worse. Players will be transferring em masse. Attendance will be even worse. Losing money, no interest = dropping football

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just to be clear no, things won't be o.k. He and his team have to do what they can do, but rest assured -- it will not be enough to keep us in FBS long term. At some point recruits will not come to play in front of 4000 people against Lehigh in a 40,000 seat stadium.
So you are saying that we need a bigger stadium?

Reaction Score
It is RIP for UCONN football. Wish I was wrong. I think Coach Edsall knows it too.

Cannot imagine the amount of kids that are in the transport portal next year.

We shall see

Nobody walks away from the amount of capital investment we all can see within a short drive. This ain’t Sears. They’re options

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Correct. There is nothing to play for as an independent. Already poor recruiting will get worse. Players will be transferring em masse. Attendance will be even worse. Losing money, no interest = dropping football

And we were playing for what exactly now -the title of a G5 league 95% of our fans rejected?

Maybe I'm wrong but on the list of reasons kids commit to UConn, playing for the AAC league title has to be pretty low on the list.

It's the main difference between where we were and where we are now. We could use the BCS, it meant something. Nowadays? Win and get kids to the league.

Reaction Score
If a 3-0 UConn team is taking on a 3-0, 2-1 Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers team, you don't think 25k/30k is a reasonable guess?

No. Think 2,500 to 3,000.

If we can even schedule enough games to play in 2020. We’re basically playing 12 exhibition games a season going forward.

Reaction Score
Well.

There’s BYU. Army. Notre Dame.

UMass, Liberty, NM State, Idaho. All those strange SunBelt schools. And most all the CUSA is unattractive. MAC?

I pose - the University of Connecticut is different. On first blush, we are in the middle. Sure some 2 for 1. But if you call Hawaii or Indiana or Virginia. We are the most likely to get a game. Probably before Army. Part of my sanguine feeling ... is I just didn’t think succeeding against most of the AAC mattered to me. Bowls? Maybe Fox needs Mid December football content.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No. Think 2,500 to 3,000.

If we can even schedule enough games to play in 2020. We’re basically playing 12 exhibition games a season going forward.

So dramatic. 2,500 fans really?

College football is essentially a 12 game exhibition aside from Alabama, Clemson, and a couple others anyway. Not sure what sport you've been following.

Reaction Score
So dramatic. 2,500 fans really?

College football is essentially a 12 game exhibition aside from Alabama, Clemson, and a couple others anyway. Not sure what sport you've been following.

Honestly, it sounds as if you’ve never even watched college football.

We have no standings, no championship, no postseason.

It’s as if Basketball had to play a season without ever taking part in a conference tournament or the NCAAs.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Honestly, it sounds as if you’ve never even watched college football.

We have no standings, no championship, no postseason.

It’s as if Basketball had to play a season without ever taking part in a conference tournament or the NCAAs.

There's no championships or playoffs for 98% of college football. And there never was going to be for UConn either way.

College football is a unique sport where the regular season in of itself is more important than the bowls. What other sport is like that?

Reaction Score
There's no championships or playoffs for 98% of college football. And there never was going to be for UConn either way.

College football is a unique sport where the regular season in of itself is more important than the bowls. What other sport is like that?

Right.

Make the team competitive and manage to schedule a few decent games and people will come. The buzz of 2007 or the Fiesta Bowl year isn't coming back. But decent crowds because its a fun thing to do outside on a beautiful Saturday can happen

Reaction Score

No. Use your brain. We don’t have a bowl tie in. I guess we could claim to finish first in our conference each year.

The football team is done. It really is. Interest will be below AAC levels.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No. Use your brain. We don’t have a bowl tie in. I guess we could claim to finish first in our conference each year.

The football team is done. It really is. Interest will be below AAC levels.

It was done as soon as Louisville left for the ACC. That was the ending of meaningful football at UConn.

G5 is mid major ball. Win some games, play some interesting or local teams and you'll have some crowds.

If you want to say it was dead when we were relegated, sure.

If you want to say leaving the AAC for Independence is the death knell, I just think you're wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom