Randy Edsall on the Big East... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on the Big East...

Reaction Score
it got leaked here by multiple people. one flat out said it was pc

That was kinda my point... UConn AD can be blamed for a boodle of feces, doubting it came from the UConn Camp to the Boston based St John Alumni as alleged (... and that’s considering that a bunch of people heard a lot of rumbling of late).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was kinda my point... AD can be blamed for a boodle of feces, doubting it came from the UConn AD to the Boston based St John Alumni (... and that’s considering that a bunch of people heard a lot of rumbling of late).

yeah I was pointing out the absurdity of the claim. shoulda quoted them.

Reaction Score
I would love to be wrong about this Pudge. But I'm not a doom and gloom guy. As awful as the football was last year, I hadn't given up on, slowly but surely, Edsall building us back up to where we were.

But I just don't see how it's possible. I'm not sure it's going great for BYU, and they're light years ahead of us in being able to make it work. I know how it's going for UMass.

I would argue ...

We are damn closer comparable to BYU than UMASS. In spite of that ugly 1-11

And BYU probably is happy.

Dave Benedict? He went to school (and had a network) in Utah. He’s got to have had that conversation.

The truth is BYU - according to our friend Phil Steele - has the 40th toughest schedule in the country. BYU kicks off their 2019 football schedule in Provo against the Utah Utes. Other home opponents on the schedule for BYU in 2019 include USC, Washington, Boise State, Liberty, and Idaho State.

The Cougars will travel to face Tennessee, Toledo, USF, Utah State, UMass, and San Diego State in 2019.

They have relatively full schedules through 2022. 9 contracts on 2023. Then it falls off.

I think we can all say with certainty: if BYU is 8-4, they’re getting a damn good bowl - regardless of a AAC or MWC team the same.

They have a bunch of Liberty. And frequent in-state games with Utah & Utah State. Bet they play Weber State & Southern Utah too.

SEC? Lots of Pac12.
I think this is wishful thinking. They made a decision to sacrifice one program for the other. It's a decision that probably had to be made. No sense in being delusional about it.

We have had massive challenges before. I just don’t think you resign yourself to this being the death of Football. Particularly in a broad sense whereby lots of solid universities are investing and striving to be a player in CFB. I think we got off the P5 track. Sad. But ... look. We aren’t UMASS. Or Liberty. Or NM State. And then the other spectrum ... not BYU. We can’t pay big numbers to teams to visit. I think the answer are many.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would argue ...

Dave Benedict? He went to school (and had a network) in Utah. He’s got to have had that conversation.

The truth is BYU - according to our friend Phil Steele - has the 40th toughest schedule in the country. BYU kicks off their 2019 football schedule in Provo against the Utah Utes. Other home opponents on the schedule for BYU in 2019 include USC, Washington, Boise State, Liberty, and Idaho State.

The Cougars will travel to face Tennessee, Toledo, USF, Utah State, UMass, and San Diego State in 2019.

They have relatively full schedules through 2022. 9 contracts on 2023. Then it falls off.

I think we can all say with certainty: if BYU is 8-4, they’re getting a damn good bowl - regardless of a AAC or MWC team the same.

They have a bunch of Liberty. And frequent in-state games with Utah & Utah State. Bet they play Weber State & Southern Utah too.

SEC? Lots of Pac12.

We have had massive challenges before. I just don’t think you resign yourself to this being the death of Football. Particularly in a broad sense whereby lots of solid universities are investing and striving to be a player in CFB. I think we got off the P5 track. Sad. But ... look. We aren’t UMASS. Or Liberty. Or NM State. And then the other spectrum ... not BYU. We can’t pay big numbers to teams to visit. I think the answer are many.

UMass 16 BYU 10
UMass 22 UConn 17

Reaction Score
UMass 16 BYU 10
UMass 22 UConn 17

Proving what?

Moneywise. Is BYU in a better position with the capacity to fill their 67,000 seat stadium. They’re scheduling 3-4 Pac12 schools a year - tradition & money.

We have infrastructure. We can move money around to get some games into Rentschler. More so than Amherst. Brand. We are just a bit less likely for invites than BYU ... then above UMass.

And that UMass minuteman coach got fired.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Proving what?

Moneywise. Is BYU in a better position with the capacity to fill their 67,000 seat stadium. They’re scheduling 3-4 Pac12 schools a year - tradition & money.

We have infrastructure. We can move money around to get some games into Rentschler. More so than Amherst. Brand. We are just a bit less likely for invites than BYU ... then above UMass.

And that UMass minuteman coach got fired.

Mostly just funny but UConn football is much closer to UMass than BYU.

You can’t out brand a religion.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The basic difference we have is you and others think Edsall (and UConn) could recruit well enough to consistently compete in a southern mid major football league - I don't think that was in the cards. The loss of BCS/P5 status and any regional identity would always be an uphill battle fighting with one hand tied behind our back.

If we give Edsall the time to reset the roster, with a softer schedule, I believe we can get back to winning.

Maybe it's just me, but give me a few teams I care about playing each year (regional team(s), or lower tier P5 teams), a road buy game vs top teams (think Clemson), and then fill out the rest with MAC, C-USA, Indies, and a local FCS, whatever, and I can get behind rooting for this team on and would make me get back in the car from NJ and buy tickets again.

Call me what you will, but I was never again making the 6-7 hr round trips to The Rent to see us struggle in the AAC year in year out. Conference title be damned, I just never would have cared about the AAC.

Temple figured out a way to do it in the same conference, and they were awful in football for decades. We could have at least done as well as Temple and maybe better if we had stayed in the AAC.

Reaction Score
If UConn is consistently winning again, 7/8 wins, I think you'll see 20k in the stands and maybe get into the 30ks if a former rival comes to the Rent.

The alternative was 4,000 people against Tulane, with a 2/3 win team.

7/8 wins against who? Liberty, UMass, New Haven or SCCU? No thanks, I want 7/8 wins against BC, Tennessee, UCF, Miami...

Reaction Score
If a 3-0 UConn team is taking on a 3-0, 2-1 Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers team, you don't think 25k/30k is a reasonable guess?
No, because Cuse, BC, Pitt, or Rutgers won't schedule us. An independent or a member of a league... This is the death knell of football... Everyone from Richard Blumenthal to Ward Manual...should take the blame.

Reaction Score
Yes, we should be scheduling home and homes with USC, Michigan, Stanford among others. No exceptions.
Thanks for the laugh...USC, Michigan and Stanford? Home and Home? As an independent? Is recreational marijuana legal in Connecticut? If it is...UConn fans might need it...2018-2019 football is the last in FBS...

Reaction Score
I would argue ...

SEC? Lots of Pac12.

We aren't BYU or Norte Dame...Saying we are is false...

Reaction Score
We aren't BYU or Norte Dame...Saying we are is false...

Let’s repeat

Football writers are pointing to Liberty. New Mexico State. Even UMASS

We aren’t that. Facilities. Money. Assets that we can negotiate. We are not in that garbage heap. And the ones on here stating RIP UConn Football are missing a huge part of this story - take a week to think. We can have a decent Program. Play big games. And the truth is ... the structure of CFB is gonna break apart again.

Reaction Score
UConn (notwithstanding its recent struggles) has the state of the art facilities and national brand that far exceeds Liberty, New Mexico St and UMass. Admittedly, even with a dedicated SNY we’re still not ND :)—but we’re not far from BYU.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom