Randy Edsall Is A Fraud | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall Is A Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
After watching Beaudry in the South Florida game I thought it would only a matter of time before Edsall goes back to Jack Zergiotis. Maybe it will happen this week or the Umass game. Jack Zergiotis does at times rushes and throws a god awful pass. Still, he has a quicker release than Beaudry and has made more plays than MB. I agree with you that Jack Zergiotis gives us a better chance to score points.

I can take his mistakes as he will learn from them, unlike what we have seen from Beaudry. I like Beaudry but he is not the quarterback for this team going forward in my opinion, but that's up to the coaches. I hope there is a change this coming Saturday

Reaction Score
Cut with the Central crap.

Get the right guy. Not a Connecticut guy

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Whats Jack Cochran up to?

Coached at Killingly last season, appeared to be the DC at St. Thomas More this year, then left the school for unknown reasons.

Reaction Score
Coached at Killingly last season, appeared to be the DC at St. Thomas More this year, then left the school for unknown reasons.

That’s his 2nd walk away, including Harding that I’m aware of. Too bad. I think Jack and relaxed admissions (5-7 a year) could turn this around.

Reaction Score
Jack was a great high school coach, but this is different. This is more of a CEO position. A lot of moving parts.

I continue to think that men are at their most effective entrepreneurially and intellectually from 32-45 years old. The speed of the offenses and the rapid changes in the game are for a younger, faster reacting mind to figure out. Youth is the way to go unless you can get a proven older guy (Briles) with great assistants to ensure forward progress.

Reaction Score
Cut with the Central crap.

Get the right guy. Not a Connecticut guy
Sadly, I think this job is a hard sell to any candidate(s) without ties to the Connecticut/New England for a number of reasons.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I didn't like Edsall 1.0 all that much, and I believe now that Edsall's modest success the first time around was that UConn was a great situation for a coach.

1) We were new to D1A, which meant we didn't have a lot of bad history weighing us down that would scare off recruits.
2) As a new program, we also had a lot of playing time to offer kids, which helped make 2001 into an incredible recruiting class.
3) We were the state school in a state that, at least back then, was producing a fair amount of quality talent. That said, there was not only little competition in our state, but there were only two other D1A schools in all of New York and New England. There were only a handful of schools even recruiting the northeast, which meant there were a lot of good under-the-radar kids for Edsall to choose from without competition.
4) We were going to be in a BCS league, which, together with the other items, made UConn really attractive to 3* and high 2* recruits whose options had previously been MAC or D1AA, or maybe, if they were lucky, a flier scholarship from a Big 10 or ACC school.
5) Miami and VTech left before we got there, making the Big East wide open for schools to quickly rise up. The Big East was really good at times in the 2000's, especially in 2006 and 2009 when it was probably a Top 3 conference, but look at what has happened to the schools since they left. Even if the 2000's Big East was reconstituted, it would be a shadow of what it was in 2009. That vibe doesn't come along often.

I think a lot of coaches would have been successful at UConn in the 2000's given that situation, and I bet that many would have been more successful than Edsall was.

Reaction Score
Jack was a great high school coach, but this is different. This is more of a CEO position. A lot of moving parts.

I continue to think that men are at their most effective entrepreneurially and intellectually from 32-45 years old. The speed of the offenses and the rapid changes in the game are for a younger, faster reacting mind to figure out. Youth is the way to go unless you can get a proven older guy (Briles) with great assistants to ensure forward progress.
I wouldn't have minded JC as a candidate in his prime (Bloomfield/New London days). JC has been fighting his own personal demons and caring for his son with special needs the last ten+ years. Football is not a priority to him anymore and that's understandable. He's become more of an advisor at various schools over the years. He's a very knowledgable football guy. However, he comes with an instability that this program doesn't need. Nor do I see it as something he'd want to commit to anymore.

Reaction Score
Edsall may be a caretaker coach for a program not wishing to invest more in football.

UConn was just not competitive in the AAC...and, while
maybe an independent schedule will allow program improvement, the jury is out on whether the Huskies will be more relevant nationally then ECU.

Rather than aggressively spend to improve the football program...maybe the administration is letting Edsall run. For better or worse...

The brand will be basketball.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Edsal may be a caretaker coach for a program not wishing to invest more in football.

maybe an independent schedule will allow program improvement, the jury is out on whether the Huskies will be more relevant nationally then ECU.

Rather than aggressively spend to improve the football program...maybe the administration is letting Edsall run. For better or worse...

The brand was always going to be basketball. Nothing football did would change that.

I think the administration thought Randy could bring in kids and coach them up to a level of respectable. A .500 team. That's what they wanted and expected.

Unfortunately Randy looks and acts a lot of like Paul Pasqualoni did when he was here. He's inflexible and invested in doing things a certain way, and that way is no longer effective. He isn't creative on either side of the ball. I think he took the job to help restore what he built. But he's finding he can't win with what worked the last time. Some say, the AAC is too tough, and it is a good football league, but it isn't better than the Big East was.

I don't buy the conspiracy theories that UConn is trying to kill football or even go back to FCS. They are too invested in it now. Nor do I think Independence is a death sentence. I think UConn's situation requires that we get as many transfers and JUCOs as possible until we hit the 4-5 win mark. Then you can build on that. We also need a young coach who can really be the face of the program. Like a less crazy Diaco who can actually coach on game day.

Reaction Score
We all tend to look through our tinted glasses to the past...And current expectations are built on that past.

But, to an outsider, wearing a different tint...the past maybe looks a little different....the high points aren't as high...and more reachable.

Take 2010...the much referenced high point Fiesta Bowl season...

It was a good season...but was it that good?

The 8-4 (regular season) Huskies shared a BE Championship in a three way tie with Pitt and WVU. Three of an eight team league that year. UConn grabbed a share of the championship by hitting a field goal in the last minute of the last game to defeat USF.

UConn lost to 7-6 Michigan, 8-4 Temple, 4-8 Rutgers, and were shut out 0-26 by 7-6 Louisville...and lost by 28 points to Oklahoma in the Fiesta.

If you take apart the season (and lose the glow of making a BCS Bowl)...it doesn't seem as unrepeatable in the future.

An 8-4 UConn season won't get a NY6 Bowl...but a similar 8-4 season is certainly not out of the realm of possibility with better athletes and execution.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We all tend to look through our tinted glasses to the past...And current expectations are built on that past.

But, to an outsider, wearing a different tint...the past maybe looks a little different....the high points aren't as high...and more reachable.

Take 2010...the much referenced high point Fiesta Bowl season...

It was a good season...but was it that good?

The 8-4 (regular season) Huskies shared a BE Championship in a three way tie with Pitt and WVU. Three of an eight team league that year. UConn grabbed a share of the championship by hitting a field goal in the last minute of the last game to defeat USF.

UConn lost to 7-6 Michigan, 8-4 Temple, 4-8 Rutgers, and were shut out 0-26 by 7-6 Louisville...and lost by 28 points to Oklahoma in the Fiesta.

If you take apart the season (and lose the glow of making a BCS Bowl)...it doesn't seem as unrepeatable in the future.

An 8-4 UConn season won't get a NY6 Bowl...but a similar 8-4 season is certainly not out of the realm of possibility with better athletes and execution.

NY6 bowl? I don't know about these guys but I don't have that expectation. We got lucky to get that bid. Will never happen again.

I want to see competent FBS football. Bowls some of the time. That's it.

Reaction Score
Any rational reason for not trying to score at the end of the first half?

Reaction Score
A bowl is more difficult...the only current spot for an "at large" is the Frisco Bowl vs the AAC.

Army, Liberty, UMass, New Mexico State, and UConn will have no bowl affiliation.

Army does have shots at the Military Bowl but has no guarantee.

Reaction Score
Liberty kinda-sorta has bowl access....they CAN BE PLACED....if the conference tie ins don't have a bowl eligible team....and the CAN isn't the same as WILL.

The Flames can be placed in one of those bowl games if either conference tied into those bowls does not have enough teams to fill their respective bowl slots.

However.....bowl games may expand so that anyone winning 5 games plays in one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall may be a caretaker coach for a program not wishing to invest more in football.

The TRUTH is that football success is doable.

That wasn’t a mirage 2003-2010. But it is so damn hard for a New England / Northeastern University. Look at Temple ... fact is there are aspects of OUR Program that far laps their challenges. But you have slim margin of error. And then ... when down (see Buffalo, Temple, Rutgers, UCONN) it is so hard to climb back. It literally takes 3-5 recruiting classes. That’s with you doing 99 other things great.

There’s no magic in this sport. You need significant quality throughout the roster. And No ... magic salesmanship isn’t gonna get you 4 & 5 stars. Not in this region & not turning over rocks in FL or GA.

Reaction Score
The TRUTH is that football success is doable.

That wasn’t a mirage 2003-2010. But it is so damn hard for a New England / Northeastern University. Look at Temple ... fact is there are aspects of OUR Program that far laps their challenges. But you have slim margin of error. And then ... when down (see Buffalo, Temple, Rutgers, UCONN) it is so hard to climb back. It literally takes 3-5 recruiting classes. That’s with you doing 99 other things great.

There’s no magic in this sport. You need significant quality throughout the roster. And No ... magic salesmanship isn’t gonna get you 4 & 5 stars. Not in this region & not turning over rocks in FL or GA.

What is doable in your mind, 6-6 on average with 8-4 as the high end every few years? I’d sign up for that at this point.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what they are doing but hiring bad coaches put us here and nothing else. This is a far easier problem to solve than most people seem to think.

As I said in my narrative, hire your coach first, then go from there. Leadership starts at the top. If you can’t hire a nationally known coach that can pull in recruits simply on his name, then find a seasoned up and coming assistant that wants to build his brand (and his name) by building a winner out of a third tier team.

He and his staff will be much more invested in the turn-a-round success of the program because he wants to move up to a major P5 program. He will not accept mediocrity. That would retard his progress and personal time line. Jucos and transfers could help him in year one.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't think the new president is anxious to replace both the FBHC and AD at the same time. Especially going Indy in FB. If he does it would mean that he really is ready to kill FBS level FB.
The new president is a snowflake
He's Suzy on steroids
This state is going down the sewer because there is no dissenting voices in the power system
The powers in place run everything with a unified voice that is leading CT into NY/California dumpster
Unfortunately our beloved state university is rampant with those types and they are destroying it's very soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom