Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're a clown

Okafor was top 100, Free was and name a kid outside that was a major factor? And you go back to Voskul, so it happens a lot I guess??

And none of these guys were outside top 250.

I agree, bigger concern is have Robinson and Kasonogo eliminated UConn?

Nope. 99 is the highest he got, and that was after signing with Upon (which gave him a boost):

http://statsheet.com/bhsb/recruiting_class/2001/

Nope. I was the sports editor of the Daily Campus then, and talked to Calhoun about it numerous times. Freeman was an under the radar recruit.

How is that different than what Lubin is projected to be? And - by the way - taking an unheralded role player with size and putting him into the NBA is exactly the type of thing that is a feather in a program's cap.

Simply put: You couldn't be more wrong about pretty much everything.

Reaction Score
Rakim Lubin
Big strong player in the post. Rebounds at a high level and powers through helpless defenders with a massive rip move on the turn. Soft touch. I got this from Phenom report....Not much else online I could see

Side note...uconnbill, I love this quote -->“Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.” John F. Kennedy

Reaction Score
Boone, Donny and Armstrong were top 100

You're right - my bad on Free. Was I thinking of Eric Hayward instead? I know it wasn't Kirk King - he was a high ranking recruit.

Regardless, UConn has put Donny Marshall, Jake Voskuhl, Hilton Armstrong and Josh Boone into the league from outside the top 100. And Emeka, who was an "on the cusp" player, won a NPotY and was the No. 2 pick.

Point is that @husky91's revisionist idiocy is completely wrong, as is dismissing Lubin outright because he isn't a star of the prep world. Nobody should expect this kid to be great, but saying we haven't molding low-ranking recruits into great players is lunacy.

Reaction Score
The only thing I know about this guy is what I read here. At the very least I am encouraged by his size, we could really use a space-eater. I hope we are still in play for Kasongo and especially Devin Robinson. Robinson in particular sounds like a different kind of player so hopefully this doesn't deter him in any way.

Reaction Score
why is there a pocket of fans who are acting as if Kasongo is that much better than Lubin, if he's even better at all? I wanted Kasongo based on who else offered and recruited him, but the truth is we really don't know much about either player at all. I'm sure if Lubin was Canadian he could've had Adam Zagoria generating publicity and a buzz for him, but that wouldn't make him better. At his size, as long as Lubin is athletic and has a motor, which is often the case with southern bammas(and I use that term endearingly), I'll worry about the staff coaching him up and working on his skill set later.

Reaction Score
We all need to keep in mind that not every recruit that UCONN lands can be a 5 star recruit. I don't know anything about this guy, but every team needs those guys that can come off the bench and provide positive minutes. It is not realistic to think we will field a team made up entirely of all Americans. This guy may turn into a solid player for us, so I think it is a bit premature to think we have settled for anybody.

Reaction Score
You're a clown

Okafor was top 100, Free was and name a kid outside that was a major factor? And you go back to Voskul, so it happens a lot I guess??

And none of these guys were outside top 250.

I agree, bigger concern is have Robinson and Kasonogo eliminated UConn?

The only "clowns" are the internet lurkers who think they are better recruiters than Kevin Ollie and the Uconn staff. Have you met any of these players in person?? Didn't think so...Now guess who has? Learn to have respect and humility for the people who are actually involved in the process.

Reaction Score
It's an overreaction when people get excited or disappointed over a highlight video. It's INSANE when people are criticizing the offer of this kid when no one has seen anything except pictures. Lets see how he does during his high school season and what he actually measures out at. He might have recently grown and is a legit 6'9". Let's just wait and see.

Reaction Score
Lubin, a 6-foot-8 forward who also has shown a sweet shot from the outside, averaged 19.6 points and 9.2 rebounds per outing and was a part of the 6A All-State second team.

19 and 9 is very respectable. I like the comment about having a "sweet shot from the outside"- if he is that big and can shoot-I'm in.

Reaction Score
I really wish there was some way to view an archive of posters' comments when Cleveland Melvin committed and then decommitted. They were just as dismissive as what we're seeing of Lubin in this thread. I'm not saying Lubin will be as productive but good God give him a chance.

Reaction Score

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Damn should of had this kid hold off intill kasongos Oregon vist was over.

caw

Reaction Score
That's four players that contributed and at some point started at UConn who weren't top 100 without prepping in Austrie, Boone, Armstrong and Gavin. That's a quick search while drunk at a bar on my phone. Someone do better.

Reaction Score
Who, name them? List them out? Guys who were factors, key contributors.

Dude it's been said like 7 times... Gavin, Hilton, Austrie were all 150+ and were key contributors. I understand your frustration with the committment, but let's see what we have before we kill a kid that nobody knows anything about. I don't think taking Lubin means we are out with Robinson. Perhaps with Kasongo but it makes no sense why Kasongo is considered such a better get than Lubin. They are ranked in the same places.

Reaction Score
It's an overreaction when people get excited or disappointed over a highlight video. It's INSANE when people are criticizing the offer of this kid when no one has seen anything except pictures. Lets see how he does during his high school season and what he actually measures out at. He might have recently grown and is a legit 6'9". Let's just wait and see.

I'm not saying one way or another about how well I think this kid will do, since really none of us have a clue, but couldn't you use the same rationale for offering him a scholarship? The wait and see approach cuts both ways, especially if kids like him are a dime a dozen and his commitment might push other desirable recruits away.

Reaction Score
Some posters on this thread are acting like spoiled little biatches. We never have had classes packed with top 50 players. If you look who goes to the NBA every year I bet 30% of them started outside the top 100- and UCONN has been the best school in the country developing players like this- kid could be a beast. Last player we took in this range from GA was J Lamb and that turned out OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom