Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
and for that reason, he committed to UCONN! He wants to learn and train under the BEST!;)

If my son was an elite basketball player, there is no other coach that I would want to entrust him to than Coach Ollie. He has the incredible passion, commitment, and toughness of our recently retired Hall of Fame coach, but he also expresses it in an extremely positive, inspirational manner. I think that you chose wisely!

caw

Reaction Score
this thread should have two things taken from it

1) some people need to calm down and shut up. you have never seen these kids play in person, so do not comment on your happiness. You are basing it all on arbitrary analysis from people who if they were good at what they do, they would be doing it for the NBA.

2)parents of players and recruits should stay as far away from this place as possible. Welcome to the family, but people here will stay amazingly stupid things that you do not want to read. Most UConn fans are not like them, this place just draws the deranged (for evidence, see the football board)

Yes but if she wants to post video of him before she goes that would be awesome. EDIT: game film

I can assure you someone will say something nasty about lubin at some point in his UConn career, I can't think of a player that didn't get complained about at some point. I urge you to try and not take it personally or to avoid this board and those like it.

Either way congrats on the decision and can't wait to see him in a UConn uniform.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He has a motor like the "Birdman", powers through defenders like LeBron and has the ability to come out to the wing and knock down 3's like Bosh!! I am not saying that he could be compared to those players...Just my opnion of what he brings to the game... and if you have not notice.. I am a die hard HEAT fan! :)

I love that motor was first :)

Reaction Score
Yes but if she wants to post video of him before she goes that would be awesome. EDIT: game film

I can assure you someone will say something nasty about lubin at some point in his UConn career, I can't think of a player that didn't get complained about at some point. I urge you to try and not take it personally or to avoid this board and those like it.

Either way congrats on the decision and can't wait to see him in a UConn uniform.
I just wanted to give some insight on Rock since it appears to have been some confussion about his weight.. We would like to thank everyone for the heart felt welcome as well as the doubters..No matter if he is a top 100 kid or top 200 kid, one thing is for sure....when Rock is on the floor you are going to get 110% from him...what more could you ask for? I will try to post a video within the next couple of days....#BLESSINGS

Reaction Score
I just wanted to give some insight on Rock since it appears to have been some confussion about his weight.. We would like to thank everyone for the heart felt welcome as well as the doubters..No matter if he is a top 100 kid or top 200 kid, one thing is for sure....when Rock is on the floor you are going to get 110% from him...what more could you ask for? I will try to post a video within the next couple of days....#BLESSINGS

carl-sagan-youre-awesome.gif

Reaction Score
He has a motor like the "Birdman", powers through defenders like LeBron and has the ability to come out to the wing and knock down 3's like Bosh!! I am not saying that he could be compared to those players...Just my opnion of what he brings to the game... and if you have not notice.. I am a die hard HEAT fan! :)

So...in other words...I'm guessing that you've recently joined all of us in the Ray Allen Appreciation Club.

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard mom and thanks for joining "most" of us for our love of the Huskies......

Please keep us updated throughout his senior season and we hope Rakim has a healthy and solid senior season before heading to Storrs......he will love playing for KO and the staff while being part of one of the top 5 basketball programs in the last 25 plus years, if not THE top..........great to have him!!.....and you of course!;)

Reaction Score
Very cool to have Rock's mom posting on the Yard. Very cool that Rock is then reading the posts as well. As the Lubins will see, we are a very passionate fan base who takes UConn basketball very serious (maybe too serious), but it is in our blood. As a family, we bicker and fight and have disagreements. There are some negative things said, but mostly positive. I like that Momma Rock accepts the good with the bad. But she and Rock should know that the majority of us are thrilled with his committment and I think that I can speak for almost all of us in that the more we learn about Rock (and Momma Rock) the more we love him and are excited about him coming to Storrs. I mean seriously- who the hell benches 285 for 3 reps the first time they lift? Jeezus! In closing, we hope Rock has a great senior year and hopefully he can get on campus to watch the Huskies a few time in person..he will be part of a great tradition at UConn. Welcome.

Reaction Score

Rakim isn't going to need an agent or PR rep. It looks like you've already got those covered, basketballmom. Don't forget to take your fee(s). :D

Look at all of the verbal squabbling among this crew as signs of how rabid and loyal Husky fans are. No matter what anyone here is saying, everyone is and will be rooting for Rakim to have great success.

Welcome to the family from one of many members of the extended family.

Reaction Score

Thanks for joining our community, BBMom. I can't wait to see your son pull down his first rebound, knock down his first shot and help lead UConn to yet another national title during his time here in Storrs.

As already pointed out by others, you'll find an eclectic group of fans here. Some are negative Nancy's that always find something to complain about. Some who never figured out how to communicate constructive criticism and just can't help themselves from throwing teenage student athletes under the bus and then back over them again. But for every one of those types of fans, you find a lot of well informed, students of the game that root for our Huskies to excel on and off the court. It doesn't mean the latter group views the team and the players through Husky Blue colored glasses, but will constructively criticize the team or a player at times. No matter what type of UConn fan calls the Boneyard their home, they all have a passion for this program, which your son will soon become a member of.

I love it that a player's mom posts here. I'd recommend not getting into some back-and-forth debates if the criticism gets harsh toward Rakim, but when he proves the doubters wrong, don't hesitate to point that out and put the negative numnuts in their place. I for one will love it!

I posted a few times in this thread that I think Rakin is going to be a player, and will turn out before it's all said and done somewhere between a Kevin Freeman/Jeff Adrien and Josh Boone/Hilton Armstrong caliber player. What I mean by that is the first two were slightly undersized, but big time UConn contributors that couldn't quite make it to the next level, while the other two were solid contributors as well, but were able to get drafted and make it to the next level. Rakim seems to have similar size as the first two who IMO didn't make it to the league primarily due to their lack of prototypical PF height. (Note: I think Jeff might have earned one or more of those 14 day or whatever duration contracts, but has yet to stick. He has long arms that somewhat makes up for his height, but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of hops.) The latter pair I mentioned were drafted due to the combination of their height and perceived potential. If they weren't 6-11, they probably would have been lumped with the first two.

The fact that Rakim put up some impressive numbers and was listed in one top 50 list before he was injured, points to him being an under-the-radar and currently under-ranked recruit. If he's at least 6-7 and the 245 lbs of muscle he seems to be and he is willing to learn and work hard, he has the makings of being a beast at the D1 level.

I am looking forward to seeing some video clips on him. Again, thanks for joining the Boneyard and don't be a stranger.

Reaction Score
(Note: I think Jeff might have earned one or more of those 14 day or whatever duration contracts, but has yet to stick. He has long arms that somewhat makes up for his height, but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of hops.)

Adrien actually signed a 2-year NBA contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlotte-bobcats/jeff-adrien/

For an undersized kid, $1.56 million isn't bad.

Reaction Score
Thanks for joining our community, BBMom. I can't wait to see your son pull down his first rebound, knock down his first shot and help lead UConn to yet another national title during his time here in Storrs.

As already pointed out by others, you'll find an eclectic group of fans here. Some are negative Nancy's that always find something to complain about. Some who never figured out how to communicate constructive criticism and just can't help themselves from throwing teenage student athletes under the bus and then back over them again. But for every one of those types of fans, you find a lot of well informed, students of the game that root for our Huskies to excel on and off the court. It doesn't mean the latter group views the team and the players through Husky Blue colored glasses, but will constructively criticize the team or a player at times. No matter what type of UConn fan calls the Boneyard their home, they all have a passion for this program, which your son will soon become a member of.

I love it that a player's mom posts here. I'd recommend not getting into some back-and-forth debates if the criticism gets harsh toward Rakim, but when he proves the doubters wrong, don't hesitate to point that out and put the negative numnuts in their place. I for one will love it!

I posted a few times in this thread that I think Rakin is going to be a player, and will turn out before it's all said and done somewhere between a Kevin Freeman/Jeff Adrien and Josh Boone/Hilton Armstrong caliber player. What I mean by that is the first two were slightly undersized, but big time UConn contributors that couldn't quite make it to the next level, while the other two were solid contributors as well, but were able to get drafted and make it to the next level. Rakim seems to have similar size as the first two who IMO didn't make it to the league primarily due to their lack of prototypical PF height. (Note: I think Jeff might have earned one or more of those 14 day or whatever duration contracts, but has yet to stick. He has long arms that somewhat makes up for his height, but unfortunately doesn't have a lot of hops.) The latter pair I mentioned were drafted due to the combination of their height and perceived potential. If they weren't 6-11, they probably would have been lumped with the first two.

The fact that Rakim put up some impressive numbers and was listed in one top 50 list before he was injured, points to him being an under-the-radar and currently under-ranked recruit. If he's at least 6-7 and the 245 lbs of muscle he seems to be and he is willing to learn and work hard, he has the makings of being a beast at the D1 level.

I am looking forward to seeing some video clips on him. Again, thanks for joining the Boneyard and don't be a stranger.
I might also add that if Rock has a nice JS from within 17- that is something none of those players could claim and very well could make the difference on the next level for him.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I might also add that if Rock has a nice JS from within 17- that is something none of those players could claim and very well could make the difference on the next level for him.

By his Junior Year, Jeff was living off the elbow J (~15ft)

Reaction Score

I didn't want to include this in my prior response. I have a few questions about Rakim, if you don't mind responding to:

We've seen him listed as tall as 6-8. How tall is he now, and has he been still growing this past year?

Do you know what his wingspan is? Does he have long arms that make him play bigger than his height? (For example Jeff Adrien was around 6-5...apparently shrunk when he was measured for the NBA...but had a ridiculous reach, making him play a lot bigger than his height. He had no problem defending taller players, and blocked his share of shots.)

Is he a good leaper and play well above the rim? (Height doesn't tell the whole story, but a player's ability to get up there and do so quickly makes all the difference when it comes to shooting over defenders and blocking or altering shots.)

How are his hands? (We've seen some big kids who have small hands struggle to catch the ball cleanly and/or hold on to the ball when dunking.)

How is ability to handle the ball? (Some Bigs struggle in two areas; one is handling the ball in tight spaces in the half-court and/or struggle to handle in the open court. The first one is more important though. Usually it's best the bigs quickly get the ball to the guards and quickly get into the correct running lane and angle to receive the pass close to the basket while in transition. But of course, it's a bonus if the big is capable of putting it on the floor in transition or from the perimeter, drive it to the basket and finish. If a 6-8, 245 pounder can do that, watch out! But I'm not expecting that from Rakim. That, among a few other attributes, is what makes LeBron James so special.)

Is he good finishing around the basket? (I don't expect an incoming freshman to have an array of post moves. Some are able to learn that while in college. But what makes the difference for a player seeing time on the floor or on the bench is their ability to finish around the rim, may it be via a lay-up, short J or dunk.)

How is Rakim at the line? (Bigs seem to struggle with this. I don't expect the big fellas to shoot it in the 80's. But games are often won or lost at the line, and a player that the other team would rather not get his shot off but instead earn his points at the line, can really cost you a W if he shoots it in the 50s. Based on what I've heard about Rakim who can knock down mid-range J's, and as you mentioned even 3s, I'm assuming he's solid at the line.)

I think I covered all the bases. Please don't feel you have to answer all or any of these questions. I figured it wouldn't hurt asking.

Again, thanks for joining the Yard. I can't wait to see Rakim play. I'll be one of many who will be rooting like crazy for Rakim to excel on and off the court. I'm just as proud, if not more so, when our players develop into mature young men who go on to make a difference in the lives of others. I have a feeling Rakim is that type of son.

caw

Reaction Score

Always reminds me of Oakley when someone talks of a big strong PF with a 17 foot jumper.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to include this in my prior response. I have a few questions about Rakim, if you don't mind responding to:

We've seen him listed as tall as 6-8. How tall is he now, and has he been still growing this past year? his current height is 6-8, not sure if he's still growing

Do you know what his wingspan is? Does he have long arms that make him play bigger than his height? (For example Jeff Adrien was around 6-5...apparently shrunk when he was measured for the NBA...but had a ridiculous reach, making him play a lot bigger than his height. He had no problem defending taller players, and blocked his share of shots.) not sure of his wing span

Is he a good leaper and play well above the rim? (Height doesn't tell the whole story, but a player's ability to get up there and do so quickly makes all the difference when it comes to shooting over defenders and blocking or altering shots.) yes, he is a great leaper, its hard to imagine because of his weight, he takes pride in defending the rim..

How are his hands? (We've seen some big kids who have small hands struggle to catch the ball cleanly and/or hold on to the ball when dunking.) When I get his highlight video together, I think it would answer most questions. I've seen him dunk with one hand with so much power the entire gym with wild for about 60 seconds.. I've witness the powerful 2 hand dunk as well... One thing for sure is that his hands is NOT of normal size...lol
How is ability to handle the ball? (Some Bigs struggle in two areas; one is handling the ball in tight spaces in the half-court and/or struggle to handle in the open court. The first one is more important though. Usually it's best the bigs quickly get the ball to the guards and quickly get into the correct running lane and angle to receive the pass close to the basket while in transition. But of course, it's a bonus if the big is capable of putting it on the floor in transition or from the perimeter, drive it to the basket and finish. If a 6-8, 245 pounder can do that, watch out! But I'm not expecting that from Rakim. That, among a few other attributes, is what makes LeBron James so special.)He's skilled enough to bring the ball up the court. Last year he actually played a little at the point..

Is he good finishing around the basket? (I don't expect an incoming freshman to have an array of post moves. Some are able to learn that while in college. But what makes the difference for a player seeing time on the floor or on the bench is their ability to finish around the rim, may it be via a lay-up, short J or dunk.) yes

How is Rakim at the line? (Bigs seem to struggle with this. I don't expect the big fellas to shoot it in the 80's. But games are often won or lost at the line, and a player that the other team would rather not get his shot off but instead earn his points at the line, can really cost you a W if he shoots it in the 50s. Based on what I've heard about Rakim who can knock down mid-range J's, and as you mentioned even 3s, I'm assuming he's solid at the line.) he's very soild at the line which is rare for a bigman.. The last 2 highschool season, he had the highest freethrow precentage on the team..

I think I covered all the bases. Please don't feel you have to answer all or any of these questions. I figured it wouldn't hurt asking.

Again, thanks for joining the Yard. I can't wait to see Rakim play. I'll be one of many who will be rooting like crazy for Rakim to excel on and off the court. I'm just as proud, if not more so, when our players develop into mature young men who go on to make a difference in the lives of others. I have a feeling Rakim is that type of son.
Rakim brings alot to the game. Just because he is under the rader doesnt make him an awful player. He is one of the best in the state of Alabama and is projected to be one the best or THE best big man in Georgia this year. He is still young and raw but mad talented. I have no doubt that Coach Ollie, Ricky Moore and the rest of the staff will be able to mold him into the player that UCONN is known for... Don't right him off so quickly! Remember the best NBA player of all time was'nt good enough to play highschool ball!!! "MJ"

Reaction Score
Rakim brings alot to the game. Just because he is under the rader doesnt make him an awful player. He is one of the best in the state of Alabama and is projected to be one the best or THE best big man in Georgia this year. He is still young and raw but mad talented. I have no doubt that Coach Ollie, Ricky Moore and the rest of the staff will be able to mold him into the player that UCONN is known for... Don't right him off so quickly! Remember the best NBA player of all time was'nt good enough to play highschool ball!!! "MJ"

Thanks for the response.

But you just open yourself to answering our biggest poster on the yard. When I say big I mean the number of paragraphs in Dogs posts. :)

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with under the radar. Some of our best players were under the radar. We like under the radar - we catch them sleeping on us - then bam - another championship!

Welcome to the UConn Family Momma Rock!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So far mom has compared her son to Chris Anderson, Lebron, Chris Bosh and Michael Jordan.

I can't wait to see him put on the National Flag Blue and White!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom