Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!! | The Boneyard

Rakim Lubin Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
6'8 230 played for the prestigious Atlanta celtics aau program. Apparently powers through defenders with a massive rip move. Excited

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Sooooo what does Ollie know/see in him that no one else does?

Probably the same thing Marquette saw in him - and they've made a living getting under-the-radar athlete/effort guys over the last five years.

I don't care that he's not a "typical" UConn recruit, and don't care that we were clearly the best team after him. I'm certain that KO will be able to coach him up and make him a productive contributor.

EDIT: Jerry Meyer says that UConn "settled." By the numbers, he's probably right, but he doesn't account for the fact that kids who come here actually improve, unlike most of the other big schools.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Rakim Lubin
Big strong player in the post. Rebounds at a high level and powers through helpless defenders with a massive rip move on the turn. Soft touch. I got this from Phenom report....Not much else online I could see

Reaction Score
Welcome Rakim! When's the last time we got a guy heavier than 220? Wonder what this means for Kasongo.

Reaction Score
Probably the same thing Marquette saw in him - and they've made a living getting under-the-radar athlete/effort guys over the last five years.

I don't care that he's not a "typical" UConn recruit, and don't care that we were clearly the best team after him. I'm certain that KO will be able to coach him up and make him a productive contributor.

EDIT: Jerry Meyer says that UConn "settled." By the numbers, he's probably right, but he doesn't account for the fact that kids who come here actually improve, unlike most of the other big schools.
Seeing as we're going to have 6 scholarships or so for next season, I'm hoping this signing is for depth purposes. Hopefully this doesn't affect our signing Kasongo or another higher profile 4. Good that we have 3 guys now in the mix for 14-15.

Reaction Score

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Seeing as we're going to have 6 scholarships or so for next season, I'm hoping this signing is for depth purposes. Hopefully this doesn't affect our signing Kasongo or another higher profile 4. Good that we have 3 guys now in the mix for 14-15.

Agreed - worth noting, though, that Meyer thinks we'd be settling for Kasongo as well.

My personal opinion is that, once you get outside the first 30 or so players, the real difference is in coaching and mental skill set rather than physical skill set. Give me the #250 player in the country with Ollie coaching him up over the #50 player with Squid wasting his career.

Reaction Score
Was just told this by someone on twitter:
@lifeball22: @B_WRecruiting 6'8 245 Rakim "Rak" Lubin
Is as gifted 17 feet and in as any big in the country scoring the ball Uconn got a monster.

Lubin was hurt this summer supposedly so that may be why there isn't much about him from recently.

caw

Reaction Score
do we lose the Canadian because of this?

Well Calhoun did take Edwards and Kelley in the massive 7 person class. Also had Thabeet, Robinson as power players. With UConn having 13 scholarships, and 6 openings (possibly) I think UConn would take both. Not sure how Kasongo feels about it though.

Reaction Score
I was hoping for Big Ray but it's always about who commits first.

Reaction Score
Was just told this by someone on twitter:
@lifeball22: @B_WRecruiting 6'8 245 Rakim "Rak" Lubin
Is as gifted 17 feet and in as any big in the country scoring the ball Uconn got a monster.

Lubin was hurt this summer supposedly so that may be why there isn't much about him from recently.

Looks to be someone affiliated with his AAU team.

Reaction Score
Stupid statement. Go find a kid outside top 100 that was a factor here in last 20 years.

This seems desperate. Did Kasonogo eliminate us? Who did we beat out South Al and UAB??

Agreed - worth noting, though, that Meyer thinks we'd be settling for Kasongo as well.

My personal opinion is that, once you get outside the first 30 or so players, the real difference is in coaching and mental skill set rather than physical skill set. Give me the #250 player in the country with Ollie coaching him up over the #50 player with Squid wasting his career.

Reaction Score
They're both on the 2014 Maxpreps watch list. Lubin, however is rated much higher coming in at the #15 best player in Alabama (Ray was 169th in KY). Obviously, they're both under the radar, but it seems that Lubin is farther along as a shooter. I think that it's a very good pick-up. He adds depth to our front court which is really needed. And he's huge!

caw

Reaction Score
Stupid statement. Go find a kid outside top 100 that was a factor here in last 20 years.

This seems desperate. Did Kasonogo eliminate us? Who did we beat out South Al and UAB??

A few kids moved into the top 100 because they signed with UConn. At this point in high school I don't think Okafor or Boone were top 100 players though. Boone went to prep and Okafor was like 99 or so even when he signed. Travis Knight probably wasn't or Jake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom