2021 Recruiting: - Rahsool Diggins virtual visit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Rahsool Diggins virtual visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
wow the kid doing that interview is from Hilbert, a local D-3 literally down the street from me who I'm very familiar with. They are a tiny school, that's super cool I was pretty shocked seeing "Hilbert College Hawks" on his T shirt.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Interesting what he says - "most of them say the same thing, come in and play, put the ball in my hands ... except Villanova, they say you have to buy in first, so they're a bit different, that's more of a challenge."

Reaction Score
Interesting what he says - "most of them say the same thing, come in and play, put the ball in my hands ... except Villanova, they say you have to buy in first, so they're a bit different, that's more of a challenge."

Jay Wright reloads. His pitch is similar to what Jim Calhoun used to say to his guys. You need to battle for minutes, nothings given to you. Much respect! Hope Hurley can adopt that mantra in a year or two once he‘s comfortable with his roster, talent, and recruiting circuit. We are so close!

Reaction Score
Cole will be a senior starter in 2021 so Diggins wouldnt be able to just "come in and play" here either, (he'd have to wait a year before he could start lol). Sounds like a good challenge/compromise to me.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I see a slightly less athletic AJ Price. But seems to be smooth and under control at all times.

That's a pretty solid comp, just based on some highlights I'm seeing. Shifty but not insanely athletic, under control and really quick movements, with good body control in the paint.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Cole will be a senior starter in 2021 so Diggins wouldnt be able to just "come in and play" here either, (he'd have to wait a year before he could start lol). Sounds like a good challenge/compromise to me.

Well he's saying most schools are giving him that same old spiel.

It's not necessarily about who's in front of him, guys can come in and play right away regardless of starting or not, but he's saying the messaging at Nova is different: you're not getting PT until you prove you have bought in to what we're preaching.

I like that and I think it's not surprising based on what I know about Nova and Jay Wright.

Reaction Score
Well he's saying most schools are giving him that same old spiel.

It's not necessarily about who's in front of him, guys can come in and play right away regardless of starting or not, but he's saying the messaging at Nova is different: you're not getting PT until you prove you have bought in to what we're preaching.
Sure i get it. That's definitely a luxury of having NBA upperclassman on the roster though. Hurley is doing the same thing here, as we saw with Vital, Rique, and Sid, in particular. Trying to get guys he didn't recruit to buy in while balancing the need to stay competitive is a tougher job

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley‘s been coaching for over twenty years and recruiting at the college level for fourteen years (ten as a head coach). He’s not new. He promises opportunities, not minutes. Right now, Rahsool wants to go to Villanova. I hope that changes. But, we need to understand that no one, when relaying these recruiting conversations, is 100% truthful and unbiased.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hurley‘s been coaching for over twenty years and recruiting at the college level for fourteen years (ten as a head coach). He’s not new. He promises opportunities, not minutes. Right now, Rahsool wants to go to Villanova. I hope that changes. But, we need to understand that no one, when relaying these recruiting conversations, is 100% truthful and unbiased.

Agreed - I don't think Rahsool even said it in a way that schools were promising him minutes - he just distinguished Nova's message from the other programs.

Reaction Score
Agreed - I don't think Rahsool even said it in a way that schools were promising him minutes - he just distinguished Nova's message from the other programs.

It stood out to him because that’s where he wants to go.

Reaction Score
It sucks that we're into so many of the same recruits as Nova in '21. Seems like until Hurley shows some post-season success, it'll continue to be an uphill battle.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It stood out to him because that’s where he wants to go.

ok. Again, not disagreeing or saying anything opposing what you're saying. I think I'm actually agreeing with everything you're saying. I am not in any way even discussing his prospects of landing w/ UConn vs. Nova, or who leads right now, and I'd defer to you on any of that anyway even if I was making guesses. I am simply discussing the words he said in this interview, the subject of the thread.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It sucks that we're into so many of the same recruits as Nova in '21. Seems like until Hurley shows some post-season success, it'll continue to be an uphill battle.
This. Even a great regular season in the BE and everyone will be saying "UConn's back", and these recruiting conversations will be able to get to another level. (Not to mention Bouk solidifying himself as a first rounder. )

Reaction Score

If he’s ready he could Be one of 2 PGs starting depending on who else is around so it’s not impossible he could start. But most likely would need to prove himself for a while.

Reaction Score
Nova will be a top 15 team as long as Jay Wright is there. Losing recruiting battles to them won’t be the end of the world.

Reaction Score
With all that being said, UConn is expected to make his list. There are going to be so many mistakes made with this ‘21 class on both sides. If the seasons can play out with any type of normalcy, UConn’s reduced travel this season will at least make it a little easier to get out to see anyone who chooses not to commit in the Fall.

Reaction Score

I mean that's fair though. All things being equal, if I had an offer from Villanova and UConn, I'd probably head to Philly too. Jay Wright is a brilliant, proven coach. Hurley is too, but outside of UConn nation people don't know that yet.

Reaction Score

What happens if they take Keels?

Reaction Score
What happens if they take Keels?
i dont see why wright wouldnt try to get all four of diggins/longino/keels/patterson...

diggins at point, longino and keels on the wing, and patterson at stretch 4

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean that's fair though. All things being equal, if I had an offer from Villanova and UConn, I'd probably head to Philly too. Jay Wright is a brilliant, proven coach. Hurley is too, but outside of UConn nation people don't know that yet.

I don’t think that last part is true, including saying that every UConn fan thinks he‘s good. They don’t. The Wright being better part certainly is true, but I don’t get downplaying what Hurley’s done (and for how long) and how he’s viewed in the sport. I think what he did at URI is more impressive than anything he’s done in the last two years. For UConn, the best thing that can happen is no one chooses somewhere else too early, and they have the chance to get these guys on campus in the Fall. A quiet summer (on a couple different fronts) would not be the worst thing to happen. Everyone was feeling good about Sanogo- and rightfully so- but they had built an in-person relationship with him despite him never making it to campus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Come again? You're a UConn fan and you'd play for Villanova?

Reaction Score
Come again? You're a UConn fan and you'd play for Villanova?

I would suit up for Hurley in a millisecond. Being a UConn fan is one or those "all things being equal" exemptions. I'm talking about a purely objective perspective. Which of course recruiting isn't, to be fair.

Basically saying if I was a talented 17 yr old with 0 fan allegiances, nova looks better on paper

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I would suit up for Hurley in a millisecond. Being a UConn fan is one or those "all things being equal" exemptions. I'm talking about a purely objective perspective. Which of course recruiting isn't, to be fair.

I completely know what you mean, and completely agree.

I always play the game in my head, "right now, if I was a top 25 recruit and had mostly my pick of the litter, and I'm exactly the person I am right now except I'm a 17 year old HS junior, what would I do?"

I think UConn and Villanova are my top 2 - when Beilein was at UM they are probably in there, and obviously who knows other factors, but just going on that made up fantasy stuff, I'd always end up picking UConn but Nova is always one that I'd consider strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom