Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
if diggins is transferring to get more PT, even though our starting backcourt is gone, that has to mean Hurley told diggins that he's bringing in a new starting PG, and probably another CG.

plus we still have AJ and Gaffney that could get minutes at point. Diggins would have been the 5th PG on the depth chart going into next season.

our outlook was always dependent on bringing in two elite transfer Gs and this only confirms that. quality over quantity.

Reaction Score
It's comical that people are freaking out on Hurley acting like UConn is the only program going through this...almost P6 program in the country will have someone transfer this year because they're not happy with PT. This is the new landscape of college basketball with the transfer rules. Just chill out it's not like our best players are leaving, we're freaking out over a guy that couldn't beat out Gaff for minutes!

Reaction Score
I knew this was going to happen. I was only excited about the Huskies again because of this kid. How much he was dedicated to be and recruit Huskies players.

Reaction Score
If you knew any less , you'd know nothing at all
Please, shut up

1648576678901.png

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No surprise. Best of luck to the kid.

I know people want to complain about him not getting PT... but I'm just not confident he was actually good enough to play. This kind of stuff always works itself out in practice. There are plenty of misses with top-100 players.

We might not be the best fit for him. Somewhere where he can be the #1 guy on the team, and a team that relies heavily on a pass-first PG would be better for him.
I have a feeling Sool didn't make this choice in a vacuum. I choose to believe our staff was very frank with him and leaving is the choice Sool made after those talks.

Reaction Score
Maybe AJ is being groomed to be the PG next year with Gaffney as his backup. That might get ugly.
The writing has been on the wall for a while now that Jackson might be the PG. Hurley mentioned it last year and it was mentioned in the most recent article about him. He's the starting PG as of right now

Reaction Score
He’ll end up at temple, penn state, or Pitt. All would be good landing spots
Pitt is farther from Philly than UConn. I agree with Temple or PSU though. Maybe St. Joes or La Salle.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I can't believe so many view this as a negative. I guess most of you ended up marrying your first girlfriend.

Best of luck to Diggins, but forgive me if I am excited by the opportunity to aggressively improve the roster.

BTW many freshman transferred out after one year with Calhoun. Jamaal Trice anyone?

People are saying either this was a recruiting miss or a player development miss like that's some kind of gotcha. Yeah, it was obviously a recruiting miss. And??????????????

You'd need 3 hands at least to count JC's recruiting misses. It happens. When a recruit is being sought after by multiple big-name programs, you can't blame the guy who landed him for being a bad recruiter. Come on.

Reaction Score
The writing has been on the wall for a while now that Jackson might be the PG. Hurley mentioned it last year and it was mentioned in the most recent article about him. He's the starting PG as of right now
That scares me but it could probably work if he's paired with a dynamic dribbling scoring guard who scores off the bounce.

Reaction Score
He better work on his offensive game, handle and instincts or this could be ugly.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Sool didn't make this choice in a vacuum. I choose to believe our staff was very frank with him and leaving is the choice Sool made after those talks.

Well, sure. You may not say "you need to x'fer" but coaches are going to be honest about playing time. And if they are pursuing a transfer, Gaffney is on top of him on the depth chart, and we have Castle coming in the year after... he's probably looking at the path to playing time and realizing that elsewhere is a better option. As long as everyone is honest, I see no problem with with a transfer.

Reaction Score
People are saying either this was a recruiting miss or a player development miss like that's some kind of gotcha. Yeah, it was obviously a recruiting miss. And??????????????

You'd need 3 hands at least to count JC's recruiting misses. It happens. When a recruit is being sought after by multiple big-name programs, you can't blame the guy who landed him for being a bad recruiter. Come on.
When was the last time our only returning point guard transferred out? Yes, JC had misses -- but those misses didn't put us in a situation like this. Big difference IMO. Still time for Hurley to pull something off here with the transfer portal, but we're still in a difficult situation.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Things I read on the BY:
1) Yup Sool is the guy that's going to lead us to the promised land. He can do it all!

2) Jackson will be a great point guard. It's the position He's going to play at the next level.

3) Wait, we got Stephon Castle! OMG! that is GREAT! 6'6" point guard! That's fantastic!

4) Sool's leaving? Hurley is a jerk. He sabotaged his own team.

Maybe Sool reads the BY too.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The word from Nova folks back in the HS days when he and Nova had some level of intrigue but never any real interest. Most Nova folks wanted to pass (esp coming off the memory of the Quinnerly year). Diggins didn’t want to wait and he wouldnt be nearly physically ready to contribute as a Freshman. Also, he can be dazzling and confident (and self impressed at times). But my guy said he’d be shocked if Diggins was ready to contribute to a good big East team NEXT year, unless he filled out A lot.

H has skills. But was definitely too slight right outa HS to play a switch every screen defense that Wright plays. I figured it isn’t much different at UCONN. Cole was a great guard for that duty. Diggins needs time.

Quinnerly eventually put on some weight, really matured and was a leader on the Alabama squad.

The guy you want is probably in or about to be in the portal

Reaction Score
Diggins could not beat out Gaffney as the back up to Cole and we all know how lousy Gaffney has been. Gaffney is essentially the best of the worst which is an indication that Hurley struck out twice recruiting point guards.

Floyd is the only guard on the team that can potentially create and score for himself. Not a good outlook unless Hurley has something up his sleeves with transfers.

Reaction Score
It would great if his next step in development would be getting to the rim at will. He will be a a good point guard if he can score at the basket and Hurley surrounds him with scorers.
Yeah, I agree. Defenders just have to play him for the pass as he doesn't have any real offensive game to speak about presently.

Reaction Score
I would bet that each of the returning players sat down with Hurley and discussed the past season and their individual paths forward. Sool then decided to transfer, likely based upon Harley’s input. If that is the scenario, then Sool likely wasn’t going to be much help next year if he stayed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom