Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Not sure why people are down voting this. Hurley was too loyal and too stubborn to bench Gaffney. Diggins deserved a real chance. This sucks.
Did he though? Hurley said playing time is earned in practice. If he proved to be a better option in practice over someone who was playing, he would have played.

Looking to be a recruiting miss. Too bad it didn’t work out.

Reaction Score
It's a false narrative he's attached to. He said transfers and freshmen, but Gaffney, Bouk, and Akok all got run their first year, and Jackson got run once he got back from injury. Took him a little while to give Sanogo the PT he deserved, but he was getting minutes early. Hawkins was getting minutes this year. And as for transfers, Cole/Martin played right away big minutes last year, so I don't get it.
Sanogo was literally starting day 1. He didn't get full minutes, but he was starting over the established Carlton (who as we've seen is pretty good).

Hawkins "started" in the first night scrimmage (even though coaches claimed that wasn't the starting lineup, it totally was), but then he got hurt so had to be eased in after missing 2 games, but then was back to starting by December.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its a damn shame
I'd love to hear from DH what he saw in the kid in AAU and HS and lauded about him and why he was praising him up until mid season during practice sessions and decided not to play him during the early season blowouts with meaningful minutes.
Many will dislike this and the other BYers who have expressed concern over the situation but for a high 4* guard who had offers from UFLA, Kansas, Miami, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Villanova, VTech, DePaul and Xavier to not touch the floor is mind blowing. Ive seen the kid in at least 6 UConn practices and he has the tools and has eyes behind his head.
I wish Rashool the best
I really hope this doesn't hurt future recruiting
LOL while no one wants Sool leaving, did you see how bad he was when he stepped on the court? That's not on Hurley. Sool looked timid and was a turnover machine in limited minutes. Stop this nonsense.
How much have you seen this kid play besides the few minutes in a isolated game or two? I recall Bazz, Giffey and Boatright looking horrible the few times they got into games early in their 1st year.

Reaction Score
The thing about this is that it would mean Hurley was still wrong at some point in judging the kid's talent. Either Hurley got it wrong when recruiting Diggins - or he got it wrong in not playing Diggins. But either way, he got it wrong. And hey, sometimes this happens. It certainly happened under Calhoun too (see for example, Darius Smith, Rob Garrison, etc.).

The major issue here is that the result is that we have no point guard. For example, when Darius Smith left, we still had Kemba Walker (and Shabazz Napier coming in as a freshman). And when Rob Garrison left, there was A.J Price and Craig Austrie. Now, we don't have anyone! That's the issue.
With Covid the coaches didn't really get to properly evaluate high school recruits like they would've liked to. Diggins may turn out to be a really good point guard or he may not but it's clearly a miss for Hurley. If Hurley brings in a a stud point guard and another stud guard things should be really good next season, if he doesn't next season isn't going to be good. With no tournament wins and no Big East hardware Hurley can't afford to have a disappointing season in year 5.

Reaction Score
Anyone blaming Hurley on this is quite funny. Sure, he missed and it happens, but so would every other coach on the teams that recruited him (Nova, Kansas, Florida, Miami, etc).

It’s always nice to have top 50-100 players, but sometimes they just aren’t as advertised. He may end up being good, but I was not that impressed in the sample size he got here. I am bummed he’s leaving because I felt there was potential, but oh well

Reaction Score
With Covid the coaches didn't really get to properly evaluate high school recruits like they would've liked to. Diggins may turn out to be a really good point guard or he may not but it's clearly a miss for Hurley. If Hurley brings in a a stud point guard and another stud guard things should be really good next season, if he doesn't next season isn't going to be good. With no tournament wins and no Big East hardware Hurley can't afford to have a disappointing season in year 5.
This can be a HUGE positive. How many high major teams with our talent have this much guard minutes available? We should be going after the best.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
While most on here are jumping off a cliff, I am thinking this is Luke Murray’s time to shine. Go work those contacts through the portal!
i agree. i think it adds some excitement. we have enough leftover talent and we can add some new blood - you never know

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley’s HS PG commits:

Fatts: huge chucker with 1 good season out of his 5 year career

Gaffney: makes Austrie look like Kemba. Probably should be at a mid major

Diggins: Hurley thought he wasn’t good enough to play over Gaffney (we’ll see)

At the very minimum it’s time to scout better

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Diggins was just as bad in practice as he was when he stepped on the court.

This was a miss by the staff. Not cut out for this level. Maybe he contributes as a junior. Very similar situation to a Makai Ashton Langford or Jalen Carey.
You are full of it - you never saw him in practice - if you did you wouldn't make that statement and if you did and stand by it you have no idea what you are looking at. I was at a pre NBE tournament practice and heard Kimani praising Sool and talking about a bright future with a reporter and Phil Chardis was listening in and agreeing.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Everyone else enjoying this meeting of Mensa? Short of hearing from Hurley and Diggins, everything you jabronies post as fact, like Hurley too loyal to JG, Diggins would have stayed with 10 mins, etc. are just spitballing.
I don't have a clue either, but my spitball is that if DH thought the team would be better with Diggins taking Gaffney's minutes then he would have done it. I wished Diggins got more time as well, but DH saw him every day so I have to trust him.
Hope it all works out for both sides.

Reaction Score
You are full of it - you never saw him in practice - if you did you wouldn't make that statement and if you did and stand by it you have no idea what you are looking at. I was at a pre NBE tournament practice and heard Kimani praising Sool and talking about a bright future with a reporter and Phil Chardis was listening in and agreeing.
Do you think somebody that worked in Gampel is able to watch practices?

Reaction Score
This can be a HUGE positive. How many high major teams with our talent have this much guard minutes available? We should be going after the best.
Also a massive risk that we get left with crumbs and have a disappointing season...I'm kinda nervous that these $EC teams will clean up in the portal because of their NIL booster money.

Reaction Score
Do you think somebody that worked at Gampel is able to watch practices?
Don't they practice in the Champions Center..? Unless you're on the staff or a student manager, you ain't getting in there

Reaction Score
Hurley’s HS PG commits:

Fatts: huge chucker with 1 good season out of his 5 year career

Gaffney: makes Austrie look like Kemba. Probably should be at a mid major

Diggins: Hurley thought he wasn’t good enough to play over Gaffney (we’ll see)

At the very minimum it’s time to scout better
Jeff Dowtin was a really good point guard Hurley brought to URI.

Reaction Score
Hope it works out for Sool-- Hope it works out for us. The keys to the car are there for the taking(running the team) and my guess is that the exit interview/end-of-season discussion with Sool made it clear as to what/how DH and staff were going to proceed to fill their PG-ballhandling needs.

Reaction Score
DH definitely played this kid like he had serious buyers remorse. We desperately needed guard help and Diggins couldn't sniff the court. Who knows, maybe DH was right. Maybe Diggins couldnt cut it. But not a big shock here.

Seriously opens up opportunity for a high caliber portal (or freshman) guard. Whoever signs is guaranteed to play and likely start.

DH needs to evaluate what went wrong here. If he wasn't good enough to play DH needs to question/evaluate his own talent assessment ability. The guard situation was the downfall of an otherwise very solid team.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Awwww man... Thought this would be a learning season for him with higher expectations in year 2... Wish him nothing but the best...

The problem is that Castle is coming in. And we seem to be set on bringing in a transfer for this year, which means he's never slated to be the starting PG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom