Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What happened to you? Used to be the voice of reason. Now you complain that the guy with offers from Iona, VCU and Temple is like losing Kemba Walker. Huh!?
We don’t have to be losing Kemba Walker to feel like it’s terrible to go into an off-season with no recruited point guards, one of the most important positions on the court in college basketball.

However people may feel about the talent, having no point guard who knows the current guys on the team and has to learn the system is not a good thing. At all.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah, because Diggins would have gotten more PT at Villanova and Kansas right? And he clearly was not taken by Nova (or Kansas) as a guard that was going to be a year-1 contributor (just like here at UConn). Just because someone gets an offer it doesn't mean that they're being brought in to be a top of the rotation guy early on. I think UConn actually brought him in as early-on insurance with the upside of being an upperclassmen contributer.
who said anything aboot playing time? are u unfamiliar with the term 'pining' or 'pine time' as used by ballers? u can talk til ur head falls off, it doesn't change anything aboot his being 'drafted' by both kansas and nova, instead farting around here for a season, seeing the floor for a handful of minutes.
the sad part was all the game time wasted, and resultant absolutely lack of results coming from 'mr any day (week, month, year, decade) now.' and you know what else aboot fishy's brilliant 'mismanaged' comment? im not so sure that losing josh, and keeping the other two, was our right move, or that our best team peaking so far wasn't, in fact, that team firing on all cylinders before the bug shut us down years ago.
sool was picked by kansas and nova. that happened. his not seeing a lick of game here also happened.

Reaction Score
who said anything aboot playing time? are u unfamiliar with the term 'pining' or 'pine time' as used by ballers? u can talk til ur head falls off, it doesn't change anything aboot his being 'drafted' by both kansas and nova, instead farting around here for a season, seeing the floor for a handful of minutes.
the sad part was all the game time wasted, and resultant absolutely lack of results coming from 'mr any day (week, month, year, decade) now.' and you know what else aboot fishy's brilliant 'mismanaged' comment? im not so sure that losing josh, and keeping the other two, was our right move, or that our best team peaking so far wasn't, in fact, that team firing on all cylinders before the bug shut us down years ago.
sool was picked by kansas and nova. that happened. his not seeing a lick of game here also happened.
Yup and he would've had just as much or more pine time at Nova and Kansas. Whatever, move on bro.

Reaction Score
What happened to you? Used to be the voice of reason. Now you complain that the guy with offers from Iona, VCU and Temple is like losing Kemba Walker. Huh!?
I think the problem is timing. It's spring limiting time to find long term solution. And the miss on both means we have a potential problem, depth 2 years from now.

Reaction Score
We don’t have to be losing Kemba Walker to feel like it’s terrible to go into an off-season with no recruited point guards, one of the most important positions on the court in college basketball.

However people may feel about the talent, having no point guard who knows the current guys on the team and has to learn the system is not a good thing. At all.
We all watched the tournament this year, and every year. You need good PGs to do ANYTHING in the Dance. St. Peters, Loyola last year, you name it. Nova has made a living with their annoying guards over the years. This year we had RJ and a hybrid Dre, with nothing coming from Gaff and look where we ended up.
Having Dre and freshman Floyd as the only options right now means we gonna struggle, no doubt about it. DH needs a big time pickup in the portal, or we’re screwed.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is timing. It's spring limiting time to find long term solution. And the miss on both means we have a potential problem, depth 2 years from now.
Limiting time to find a long term solution? There are over 1000 players in the transfer portal. Years ago your assessment may have been right but with the portal there is plenty of time to find what we need.

Reaction Score
and yet, u said this aboot mr sool,
6/30/21
'He's going to be a very popular player by the time he leaves.'
u say a lot of dopey things. mostly sounding in 'open mouth, change feet.'
kumo sends his regards.
Not sure this it the "gotcha" moment you think it is. He's definitely not as good as I or a lot of folks thought he'd be. It happens. And just FYI, the post you're referencing was about how personable and good in front of a camera he was during media day before the season started. While I did think he'd be a much better player than he turned out to be, that post wasn't actually about his on-court performance.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We all watched the tournament this year, and every year. You need good PGs to do ANYTHING in the Dance. St. Peters, Loyola last year, you name it. Nova has made a living with their annoying guards over the years. This year we had RJ and a hybrid Dre, with nothing coming from Gaff and look where we ended up.
Having Dre and freshman Floyd as the only options right now means we gonna struggle, no doubt about it. DH needs a big time pickup in the portal, or we’re screwed.
I’m praying Castle can reclassify. Kind of crazy that Hurley has been here for what, 5 years? And has no recruited PGs to show for it.

Reaction Score
I mean that was an obvious lie from the beginning.

Ehh gotta give the kid a pass. What he wanted and what he could get close to home may be two different things. Not to mention he wasn’t exactly given a vote of confidence here for next year.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Martin is a good coach. If he was a great coach he wouldn't be leaving the SEC for the A10.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Martin is a good coach. If he was a great coach he wouldn't be leaving the SEC for the A10.
This is very true.

I will add that if a kid is looking for someone who will "soften the blow" when it comes to constructive criticism (not claiming that this is why Diggins is moving on), Martin is not the guy.

Reaction Score
This is very true.

I will add that if a kid is looking for someone who will "soften the blow" when it comes to constructive criticism (not claiming that this is why Diggins is moving on), Martin is not the guy.
True, but I think it is pretty clear guaranteed playing time is really all he is looking for.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
True, but I think it is pretty clear guaranteed playing time is really all he is looking for.
Agreed, his departure most likely had nothing to do with Hurley being "too mean". Those who transfer (from anywhere) due to a coaches "painful honesty" will need to think long nd hard before considering UMass. From what I've been told, Martin may be closer in demeanor to Bobby Knight than JC is.

For the record I believe that both JC and Martin do have what's best for the kid at heart, even with their yelling.

Reaction Score

I hope things work out great for Rahsool.

It's a good long-term spot for Rahsool, but short term, he won't be getting much PT behind Noah Fernandes.

The former Wichita State guard has been incredible at UMass: 14.9p, 5.3a, 2.6 to, 36 3p%, 1.4 s in 33.6 mpg.

The only way Rahsool plays much at UMass next year would be:
  • Fernandes transfers
  • Martin is fine playing with two guards at 6'1 and shorter. Knowing what his teams looked like at South Carolina (very large) I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's a good long-term spot for Rahsool, but short term, he won't be getting much PT behind Noah Fernandes.

The former Wichita State guard has been incredible at UMass: 14.9p, 5.3a, 2.6 to, 36 3p%, 1.4 s in 33.6 mpg.

The only way Rahsool plays much at UMass next year would be:
  • Fernandes transfers
  • Martin is fine playing with two guards at 6'1 and shorter. Knowing what his teams looked like at South Carolina (very large) I doubt it.
I would guess he's looking at a bench role wherever he goes next year, but somewhere he'll be able to at least carve out a role and consistent PT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom