Rachel Chooses Rutgers | The Boneyard

Rachel Chooses Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Big get for RU, devastating loss for the LV's. Yes, devastating..... take a look at their 2012-13 roster.

TN's last verbal was in February of this year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Somewhat surprised at her choosing Rutgers. Seems like Tenn. would have been a more natural fit for her. They have need for post players and Tenn is closer to her home.

Have to wonder if Pat's announcement is beginning to have an impact on recruits who haven't previously announced their intentions to attend Tenn. Will be interesting to see what their 2013 class looks like. It did start off with a bang, will they be able to fill in the pieces?

There's no doubt that recruits are being told, Pat won't be the coach of the Lady Vols for the duration of your college career.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
This is a huge loss for our team. Coming up empty on a post will make it very difficult to compete next year at a high level.

Hard to say what the deciding factor was in Rachel's decision. She seemed very up in the air throughout the entire process.

This, of course, makes landing Mercedes Russell a MUST.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but I think Pat and staff will go JUCO for a post to fill a temp need. Hey, last time we were forced into JUCO, we won two national titles. Maybe it's not such a bad thing!

Reaction Score
Wow. This is shocking to me. I was sure she'll choose TN

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am amazed that Tennessee could not get a post player from the South.

I think CViv must have appealed to Rachel, and the Sykes connection may well have been a factor.

Rutgers is adding talent. They should be even better. Tough competition in the Big East!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Comment from Hollivay:

"I think I'm going to be taken care of there," Hollivay added. "And I looked at the depth chart and it's going to be the best place for me."

Reaction Score
This is a huge loss for our team. Coming up empty on a post will make it very difficult to compete next year at a high level.

Hard to say what the deciding factor was in Rachel's decision. She seemed very up in the air throughout the entire process.

This, of course, makes landing Mercedes Russell a MUST.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but I think Pat and staff will go JUCO for a post to fill a temp need. Hey, last time we were forced into JUCO, we won two national titles. Maybe it's not such a bad thing!

Sometimes you get lucky with JUCO players, and sometimes you don't. Its always a crap shoot! I'm a little surprised that Rachel did not choose Tennessee. It still amazes me how Rutgers, a defense minded only team gets such great players.

tennfanatic00

Southern Gentleman
Reaction Score
I'm very shocked. Distance was supposed to weigh heavily in her decision, but, evidently, she feels it is a better fit at RU.

And, you're right about JUCO...We got lucky with a couple of guards, but I do not recall a time that we have EVER had to get a JUCO post.

I look for the 2012-13 team to be definitively run and gun style. We'll probably have freshman Graves at the 5 position. We'll be a tiny team, but the game is evolving into a much more guard-oriented style, so maybe it will work out.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sometimes you get lucky with JUCO players, and sometimes you don't. Its always a crap shoot! I'm a little surprised that Rachel did not choose Tennessee. It still amazes me how Rutgers, a defense minded only team gets such great players.
Connboy, I am not really surprised that Hollivay chose Rutgers at all. I felt that it would come down to Tenn. and Rutgers> Two great programs and 2 great coaches. Rutgers has always brought in at least one top 20 player every 1-2 years. 2012 will be no different. Plus, I think Rachel looked at playing in the BE as a challenge. I am not that thrilled to have to play against Hollivay for those next 4 years but I think GA and staff will figure it all out and stock the UConn cupboard will talent to combat the threat.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
as was pointed out in other threads, neither school is known for developing post players that has offense running through them. i was surprised that these were her final 2. Vaughn was a great talent and RU never ran offense thru her, and i think it was the same with TSB. for Tenn, i realize they had Parker when they had Anosike, but they never ran any offense thru her either. it's hard to tell with Cain as she was hampered by persistent injuries, and we won't get to see how they would have used Brewer this year...

i think both coaches tend to rely on their centers to clean up O-boards, get the occasional put back, play defense, and rebound defensively. by running offense thru them i don't mean throwing the ball in the post and hoping they can score, i'm referring to inside out passing, screens, pick and rolls, etc etc. even when JMO played for UCONN, the first play every game her senior year was a foul line jumper designed for her.

still, congrats to RU. Vivian is certainly amassing some very good talent - certainly good enough to challenge Tennessee and other top 10 teams over the next few years. Carter, Jones, and Graves are not chopped liver for sure, but as tennfanatic pointed out, when you are short on elite post players and you lose out on several, it's tough to take.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Connboy, I am not really surprised that Hollivay chose Rutgers at all. I felt that it would come down to Tenn. and Rutgers> Two great programs and 2 great coaches. Rutgers has always brought in at least one top 20 player every 1-2 years. 2012 will be no different. Plus, I think Rachel looked at playing in the BE as a challenge. I am not that thrilled to have to play against Hollivay for those next 4 years but I think GA and staff will figure it all out and stock the UConn cupboard will talent to combat the threat.

Fear not, for lo, I bring good tidings....
recruit_e_stewart_sy_300.jpg

......of a 6'4" phenom with springs in her feet!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to HGN, don't forget Stef will have 2 years left when Hollivay joins RU. she's certainly an elite post player - top 10'ish in most lists, but she's no Dolson, Lavender, Charles, Griner, Bone or Williams.

Reaction Score
There is no way around the fact,this is big news. I do remember there
are connections between her and "is it Sykes"? Whatever the reasons are,
they came up empty at a position of need and at least for 2012 not a log jam
at the position. They have Harrison,the juco route is being bantied about,you never know
what could open up between now and next season. Having said all of that,the fact that a large
# of kids were on there list aside from Holivay and her position and to this point not one commitment since Graves in Feb! I don't know that they had a clear notion that at least 4 players would leave the program for various reasons. I thought they had potential depth issues this season,with Williams recovering from an ACL,Brewer leaving,Bass a 5'2" SR bench player,and Harrison the FR.
At this time they have 9 players for 2012. Throw in a cpl of recovering to one extent or another ACLs and my response is WOW. Russell,is not a must,but the need for some players on their recruiting list is.
As for Rutgers this is a HUGE get.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder now, her not choosing TN, there is a reason why CD went to see Mercedes Russell?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is no way around the fact,this is big news. I do remember there
are connections between her and "is it Sykes"? Whatever the reasons are,
they came up empty at a position of need and at least for 2012 not a log jam
at the position. They have Harrison,the juco route is being bantied about,you never know
what could open up between now and next season. Having said all of that,the fact that a large
# of kids were on there list aside from Holivay and her position and to this point not one commitment since Graves in Feb! I don't know that they had a clear notion that at least 4 players would leave the program for various reasons. I thought they had potential depth issues this season,with Williams recovering from an ACL,Brewer leaving,Bass a 5'2" SR bench player,and Harrison the FR.
At this time they have 9 players for 2012. Throw in a cpl of recovering to one extent or another ACLs and my response is wow.
As for Rutgers this is a huge get.
Both Hollivay and Sykes are from Mississippi. Probably their two best high school players in quite a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder now, her not choosing TN, there is a reason why CD went to see Mercedes Russell?
I'm anxiously awaiting more info on 2013 recruiting. We think that Chris went the whole way to the West Coast because Mercedes was still open. I hope so.

I'm also anxious to hear about Diamond, Reimer, Mavunga, Tucker, and Samuelson, plus any surprises. A class of 2-4 would be nice.

Reaction Score
I have been asking on here and wondering what came from the visit to her school,with no response! That is unless, no one knows, or not saying!
Remember Russell and the rest of the elite 2013 players are 2 years away from playing college ball.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Not to be a downer, and I hope I'm wrong, but posts take longer to develop than guards. The most successful former JUCO players in Div I are generally guards for a reason.

Reaction Score
I'm anxiously awaiting more info on 2013 recruiting. We think that Chris went the whole way to the West Coast because Mercedes was still open. I hope so.

I'm also anxious to hear about Diamond, Reimer, Mavunga, Tucker, and Samuelson, plus any surprises. A class of 2-4 would be nice.
Of course I LOVE each season! I,shamelessly admit I do enjoy year round recruiting:p specualtion and information;)

pasteurize

RU Rah Rah!
Reaction Score
Not to be a downer, and I hope I'm wrong, but posts take longer to develop than guards. The most successful former JUCO players in Div I are generally guards for a reason.
One player who does come to mind, though, is Texas A&M's Danielle Adams. She was originally a JUCO player, made the leap to Div I and did quite well.

I do agree with your statement that guards are usually more successful in taking the leap from JUCO to Div I, but I figured maybe I'd give tennfanatic a little more hope!

And back to the topic at hand, we Rutgers fans are absolutely ecstatic about Hollivay's decision! This year's freshman class is full of guards. Hollivay should complement them quite nicely for the next few years.

Reaction Score
They won 2 titles not because they had 2 Jucos, but because they had Parker. Not the same talent in KXVille these days.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They won 2 titles not because they had 2 Jucos, but because they had Parker. Not the same talent in KXVille these days.
Yes they needed a guard from JUCO to get the ball to Parker, now they have a couple of guards with potential but they need to find a Parker out of JUCO. HUGE difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom