Question for Frank the Tank | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Question for Frank the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BASKETBALL!
Good stats however a proper analysis of these stats with be extremely favorable to UConn.
Given the lack of history of the UConn football program and its lack of exploration of its Tri-state status. A couple of years of success in football coupled with the changing socio-ecomiic make up of this market point to an ability to if not capture be a major player.
What-if UConn had a football history simslar to Pitts
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I would certainly not question Nate's numbers with respect to politics, but there's far more directly usable data sets for politics than there are for something as broad and general as "most popular football teams." The only set of data that could be used would be TV numbers, but even then those are very inexact in a lot of instances. I'm not going to tell you he's dead wrong in those numbers, but to hold them with the same weight as you would hold his political numbers would be incorrect.

Reaction Score
UConn's $24.8M was for 2011 - it's down to $22.1M last year. Either figure would be either the second lowest or third lowest in the Big Ten ahead of just Rutgers and perhaps Northwestern (they don't release the numbers). Even if you get rid of BTN's $8M a year that 12th or 13th place ranking won't change.

You do a good job of explaining why UConn's stronger than Rutgers, but you have to realize that under the BTN model NJ's larger size + AAU + recruiting base makes it an easier sell to the Big Ten than Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Or the B1G could just want to make inroads through basketball on its BTN which is what NYC really loves...

NYC loves basketball, but football has driven realignment thus far. I think the stregnth of Uconn BB in NYC is a stronger selling point to the ACC than B1G.

Read Frank's post where the discussion is basketball. He is touting Kansas for bball. Sound like a football power to you?

I read his post again and Kansas has a lot to offer to the B1G. Kansas is in a special group of schools that offer national appeal for basketball year in and year out. I am a Uconn basketball fan, and I would consider Uconn to be a half tier below Kansas on the national stage. Kansas is AAU. Kansas has rivals within the B1G. Kansas carriers a new market. Kansas w/ Mizzou brings a package worth more than the teams individually. Kansas is a good partner with OU to entice OU. A combination of Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, OU, Texas, and Iowa offer a nice package of teams in the midwest should the B12 be targeted.

Frank was suggesting Kansas as a good fit in the B1G with a football partner from the midwest. If Uconn was AAU and had a good football partner from the east coast, Uconn would find it easier to land in both the B1G or ACC.

Reaction Score
It's the same old stuff with you Frank. You did it again.

You talk about what the BTN charges, but neglect that SNY charges 2.5x in Ct. and the NYC market slice of what the BTN charges in Michigan. Why isn't BTN charging $2.5o per house in Michigan? Why isn't it as popular in Michigan as SNY is in CT and that slice of NYC? I mean, you're emphasizing what BTN could do in Kansas, and it can't even do in Michigan what SNY is already doing in Connecticut. Forgive me for finding that bizarre and totally absurd.

I don't even know why you're asking "How did UConn get left out?" It's been answered here a thousand times. UConn doesn't even qualify for the B1G on academics alone. As for the ACC, have you truly never read this article? http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...-blocking-uconns-path-to-acc?urn=ncaab,wp5260

Everything is there. In the past, you've claimed UConn fans have this mistaken belief that BC blocked UConn. We're not making it up. I don't know what to tell you. It's like you never read articles about BC blocking UConn. Seriously, as much as you know about realignment (a ton more than any of us), I honestly have doubts as to whether you're clued in on this BC-UConn story, because so much of what you've said in the past gives me suspicion that you don't.

As for UConn's national brand for bball, it's great. Great ratings, great interest. There are a ton of articles out there putting UConn among the top 6 bluebloods in both accomplishment and interest. And you say I'm comparing UConn to Rutgers basketball. Seriously? Frankly, that's a pathetic statement coming from you. UConn's tier 3/licensing take is $24.8 million a year (on the back of a contract with IMG for $8 million for licensing related to coaches shows and such on SNY). This is because of basketball mainly, and shows the power of the brand.

I've seen the SNY argument many times here. SNY has the Mets, a Major League Baseball team in the immediately adjacent market that's providing well over 100 televised games per year. While UConn helped out SNY to get broader carriage in Connecticut in the areas that aren't in the NYC DMA, the argument about the carriage rate itself would only be comparable if the BTN also carried Tigers games in Michigan or Cubs games in Illinois (in both events, I assure you, would result in unbelievably high carriage rates in those areas). Pro sports RSNs charge very high rates across the country and SNY is consistent with that, so that figure isn't unique at all compared to similar situations (i.e. Comcast SportsNet Chicago's carriage in adjacent Iowa, the carriage of the LA-based RSNs in San Diego and Nevada, etc.). UConn deserves some credit for filling in some of the gaps in the state's overall carriage of SNY, but that carriage rate is directly in line with pro sports RSNs everywhere.

Now, I definitely understand why UConn is miffed about Rutgers, Syracuse and BC jumping to greener pastures considering UConn's track record. I would be the same if I were a UConn fan. However, UConn just isn't winning an argument against Kansas and Oklahoma at the national level at this time. I don't know why that's not being taken very seriously when a Big Ten president mentions one of those schools multiple times as a target in what were intended to be confidential remarks and both of those schools have been separately studied by the conference for expansion (while there hasn't ever been an indication that UConn has been studied).

That's what I mean by overestimating the value of your own school and underestimating the value of your competition, which is a recipe for disaster in conference realignment. Once again, UConn has a lot of value individually - I've stated that many times. However, even underestimating Cincinnati (much less legit national brand names like Oklahoma and Kansas) is something you guys can't afford to do and are whistling past the graveyard if you think otherwise. As I've said, I firmly believe that UConn completely underestimated Louisville... and believe me that there are quite a few schools in the Gang of Five (including several in the AAC) in pretty good markets that are spending the money to aim at becoming the next Louisville, TCU or Utah. Overconfidence is the *worst* thing that UConn can have right now - to the contrary, every wart (big or small) needs to be addressed because it will pretty much take perfection to get any power conference to proactively move in the current environment (and even if there is any movement, you might be looking at competing with many others for 1 or 2 spots).

Reaction Score
UConn's $24.8M was for 2011 - it's down to $22.1M last year. Either figure would be either the second lowest or third lowest in the Big Ten ahead of just Rutgers and perhaps Northwestern (they don't release the numbers). Even if you get rid of BTN's $8M a year that 12th or 13th place ranking won't change.

You do a good job of explaining why UConn's stronger than Rutgers, but you have to realize that under the BTN model NJ's larger size + AAU + recruiting base makes it an easier sell to the Big Ten than Connecticut.

I think we all understand (most of us anyway), that the B1G model prefers state flagships which are a slam dunk to receive coverage in their home markets. New Jersey, with it's population, and access into NYC (still hotly contested as to how much really), make it a valuable commodity even if their athletic programs are not strong. The carriage fees for a mediocre team in a state with 8+ million people will be massive. Having AAU status only clinches the deal, because the B1G does not want to compromise their academic prowess, and because they are the hunters in realignment, they do not have to.

My biggest gripe is that as a UConn fan, you are seeing what the "national" perception of the university really is, and it is not good. There is always something wrong with UConn at the worst possible time. Even worse, is it does not appear that ANYONE is speaking up on behalf of the university. UConn got outhustled by Louisville for a spot in the ACC, and even though it is possible that Louisville always was going to get the spot, the national beating UConn took just made me cringe.

It's frustrating to be overlooked, and to feel like you are allowing it to happen. I don't know or even really believe that this is the case, but it just feels that way. And to a fan base with 3 men's national championships, a trophy case stuffed with success, and a football program which has won two conference titles in football, and been to the BCS, it is a kick in the balls that is hard to take.

Reaction Score

Where did you get $22.1m figure?

I wasn't arguing that UConn is stronger than Rutgers. I don't think it is. I never did that. I compared the fan intensity and branding.

As for comparing UConn's figure to the B10, it's an apples to oranges comparison. You can only compare UConn to the old BE where every single school in the conference receives the same TV money. Then, any TV/licensing money over and above that is considered the result of the school's own brand and not anyone else's. There is NO DOUBT that UConn's TV money is going to fall now in the AAC. But we all know that. So, we're not comparing the AAC's TV package to the B1G's. Everyone knows the B1G schools make 15x as much.

Your point about Rutgers is an excellent one relating to my discussion with Frank here. He asks the question, why wasn't UConn picked up if it had so much value? I responded by referring to one instance of BC blocking them (even though there have been other instances). But the Rutgers' case provides another answer. Why was Rutgers passed over by the ACC if it had so much value, as Frank has been arguing? Why didn't Swofford see the value? Is it because the B1G made a huge mistake in adding Rutgers? Or is it because Swofford is a joker who can't see his arse from his elbow? He has presided over one bad decision after the other.

If we were going into a totally new conference expansion next year with the moved teams + UConn up for grabs, this is how I would rank them:

1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Pittsburgh
5. Louisville
6. Syracuse
7. Boston College

Louisville vs. Pitt is the only one that gave me pause because Ville is going great now and Pitt is a huge question mark, but in terms of market and region and academics, Pitt has slightly more potential.

Is it any wonder that the B1G took the first two atop the list, while the ACC preferred #7 over all the others?

Reaction Score
I want to see us in the B1G as much as anyone...but I think Frank is right when he says we need to get nice and cozy with the B-12 right now. That seems to be our best bet to get to the Big 5 Conference dance.

Reaction Score
NYC loves basketball, but football has driven realignment thus far. I think the stregnth of Uconn BB in NYC is a stronger selling point to the ACC than B1G.

I read his post again and Kansas has a lot to offer to the B1G. Kansas is in a special group of schools that offer national appeal for basketball year in and year out. I am a Uconn basketball fan, and I would consider Uconn to be a half tier below Kansas on the national stage. Kansas is AAU. Kansas has rivals within the B1G. Kansas carriers a new market. Kansas w/ Mizzou brings a package worth more than the teams individually. Kansas is a good partner with OU to entice OU. A combination of Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, OU, Texas, and Iowa offer a nice package of teams in the midwest should the B12 be targeted.

Frank was suggesting Kansas as a good fit in the B1G with a football partner from the midwest. If Uconn was AAU and had a good football partner from the east coast, Uconn would find it easier to land in both the B1G or ACC.

Yes, that's exactly that I'm saying. Kansas is one of the very few schools where basketball can legitimately matter, and that also driven by the fact that it meets the academic requirements (AAU membership) and can be paired with OU (a football superpower) in theory. The UConn comparison is spot-on: if it were an AAU member and could bring along a Penn State-type football partner, then the equation obviously changes dramatically (but that's kind of like saying, "If my aunt was my uncle...").

Reaction Score

You're making me dizzy. UConn has national appeal yearly too. A lot of it. UConn has been consistent. It has a big fanbase now. Half tier below? What do you even mean by that. What rivals does Kansas have other than Nebraska? and what does AAU have to do with this discussion about basketball? I said from the outset that Uconn doesn't qualify for the B1G because ofits AAU status. Kansas is a new market? Yeah, one that is smaller than the new market that UConn brings (you do realize, I hope, that BTN is not going to get the cable subscribers in the NYC slice of Conn. nor the rest of it that it will get in NJ). Kansas / w/ Missouri? Missouri is not moving anywhere. We've discussed this before that the B1G requires a gradual by in by new members, which would mean Missouri foregoing $50m to $80m by making the switch. Why in the world is Missouri going to toss that much money into the wind? Entice OU? OU would run lickety split to the B1G if the B1g had any interest. It would happen instantly. When OU was rebuffed by the Pac12, it understood its position in the world pretty clearly.

I didn't disagree with Frank's point about Kansas being a prime candidate for B1G expansion. I disagreed with his comparison of UConn to Kansas.

Reaction Score
Where did you get $22.1m figure?

I wasn't arguing that UConn is stronger than Rutgers. I don't think it is. I never did that. I compared the fan intensity and branding.

As for comparing UConn's figure to the B10, it's an apples to oranges comparison. You can only compare UConn to the old BE where every single school in the conference receives the same TV money. Then, any TV/licensing money over and above that is considered the result of the school's own brand and not anyone else's. There is NO DOUBT that UConn's TV money is going to fall now in the AAC. But we all know that. So, we're not comparing the AAC's TV package to the B1G's. Everyone knows the B1G schools make 15x as much.

Your point about Rutgers is an excellent one relating to my discussion with Frank here. He asks the question, why wasn't UConn picked up if it had so much value? I responded by referring to one instance of BC blocking them (even though there have been other instances). But the Rutgers' case provides another answer. Why was Rutgers passed over by the ACC if it had so much value, as Frank has been arguing? Why didn't Swofford see the value? Is it because the B1G made a huge mistake in adding Rutgers? Or is it because Swofford is a joker who can't see his arse from his elbow? He has presided over one bad decision after the other.

If we were going into a totally new conference expansion next year with the moved teams + UConn up for grabs, this is how I would rank them:

1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Pittsburgh
5. Louisville
6. Syracuse
7. Boston College

Louisville vs. Pitt is the only one that gave me pause because Ville is going great now and Pitt is a huge question mark, but in terms of market and region and academics, Pitt has slightly more potential.

Is it any wonder that the B1G took the first two atop the list, while the ACC preferred #7 over all the others?

It is very possible that B1G was talking with Rutgers and Maryland before Pitt and Cuse were added to the ACC, and thus Rutgers and Maryland may have chosen B1G over the ACC.

Reaction Score
You're making me dizzy. UConn has national appeal yearly too. A lot of it. UConn has been consistent. It has a big fanbase now. Half tier below? What do you even mean by that. What rivals does Kansas have other than Nebraska? and what does AAU have to do with this discussion about basketball? I said from the outset that Uconn doesn't qualify for the B1G because ofits AAU status. Kansas is a new market? Yeah, one that is smaller than the new market that UConn brings (you do realize, I hope, that BTN is not going to get the cable subscribers in the NYC slice of Conn. nor the rest of it that it will get in NJ). Kansas / w/ Missouri? Missouri is not moving anywhere. We've discussed this before that the B1G requires a gradual by in by new members, which would mean Missouri foregoing $50m to $80m by making the switch. Why in the world is Missouri going to toss that much money into the wind? Entice OU? OU would run lickety split to the B1G if the B1g had any interest. It would happen instantly. When OU was rebuffed by the Pac12, it understood its position in the world pretty clearly.

I didn't disagree with Frank's point about Kansas being a prime candidate for B1G expansion. I disagreed with his comparison of UConn to Kansas.

Well, I agree that Mizzou is off the table. No one is leaving the SEC (just as no one is leaving the Big Ten).

The one thing about OU is that they were never individually ever rebuffed. What the Pac-12 rejected was OU *and* Oklahoma State going together, which was effectively mandated by that state's powers-that-be. The Pac-12 and probably both the Big Ten and SEC would take an Oklahoma/Kansas combo pretty easily. The "little brother" schools that have political power, though, can be bigger holdups than any grant of rights agreements or academic requirements. That has always been one of my big caveats to a further Western expansion of the Big Ten - while I think the league very much likes OU and KU alone, they don't want anything to do with Oklahoma State and Kansas State (and the only place that seems to allow for the little brothers is the Big 12).

Reaction Score
I've seen the SNY argument many times here. SNY has the Mets, a Major League Baseball team in the immediately adjacent market that's providing well over 100 televised games per year. While UConn helped out SNY to get broader carriage in Connecticut in the areas that aren't in the NYC DMA, the argument about the carriage rate itself would only be comparable if the BTN also carried Tigers games in Michigan or Cubs games in Illinois (in both events, I assure you, would result in unbelievably high carriage rates in those areas).

Tigers are popular in Michigan. Mets are not popular in Conn. Look at the ratings. .04 to 8 for UConn games. If you don't believe me, look at what SNY was charging when it ONLY showed the Mets. Look at how the price went skyrocketing when it picked up UConn. A world of difference. Comparing the Mets in Ct. to the Cubs in Illinois? That doesn't fly.

Pro sports RSNs charge very high rates across the country and SNY is consistent with that, so that figure isn't unique at all compared to similar situations (i.e. Comcast SportsNet Chicago's carriage in adjacent Iowa, the carriage of the LA-based RSNs in San Diego and Nevada, etc.). UConn deserves some credit for filling in some of the gaps in the state's overall carriage of SNY, but that carriage rate is directly in line with pro sports RSNs everywhere.

Do RSN's show college sports that are the top rated not only on cable but on all network TV as well? Does that also happen? Filling in gaps? Again, you severely underrate what is going on, and I question you all the time on this. You seem not to be entirely aware that UConn is the most popular thing going in the state of Connecticut. In fact, for SNY's entire market, including NY and NJ, a Conn. basketball game will knock all other head-to-head sports off the air, including syracuse men's bball.

I never disagreed with you point about Kansas being looked at seriously by the B1G. I think they should be (primarily because they are AAU). But you downplayed UConn's bball appeal in several ways that don't measure up to the actual metrics. That's what I responded to.

Reaction Score
I've seen the SNY argument many times here. SNY has the Mets, a Major League Baseball team in the immediately adjacent market that's providing well over 100 televised games per year. While UConn helped out SNY to get broader carriage in Connecticut in the areas that aren't in the NYC DMA, the argument about the carriage rate itself would only be comparable if the BTN also carried Tigers games in Michigan or Cubs games in Illinois (in both events, I assure you, would result in unbelievably high carriage rates in those areas). Pro sports RSNs charge very high rates across the country and SNY is consistent with that, so that figure isn't unique at all compared to similar situations (i.e. Comcast SportsNet Chicago's carriage in adjacent Iowa, the carriage of the LA-based RSNs in San Diego and Nevada, etc.). UConn deserves some credit for filling in some of the gaps in the state's overall carriage of SNY, but that carriage rate is directly in line with pro sports RSNs everywhere.

Now, I definitely understand why UConn is miffed about Rutgers, Syracuse and BC jumping to greener pastures considering UConn's track record. I would be the same if I were a UConn fan. However, UConn just isn't winning an argument against Kansas and Oklahoma at the national level at this time. I don't know why that's not being taken very seriously when a Big Ten president mentions one of those schools multiple times as a target in what were intended to be confidential remarks and both of those schools have been separately studied by the conference for expansion (while there hasn't ever been an indication that UConn has been studied).

That's what I mean by overestimating the value of your own school and underestimating the value of your competition, which is a recipe for disaster in conference realignment. Once again, UConn has a lot of value individually - I've stated that many times. However, even underestimating Cincinnati (much less legit national brand names like Oklahoma and Kansas) is something you guys can't afford to do and are whistling past the graveyard if you think otherwise. As I've said, I firmly believe that UConn completely underestimated Louisville... and believe me that there are quite a few schools in the Gang of Five (including several in the AAC) in pretty good markets that are spending the money to aim at becoming the next Louisville, TCU or Utah. Overconfidence is the *worst* thing that UConn can have right now - to the contrary, every wart (big or small) needs to be addressed because it will pretty much take perfection to get any power conference to proactively move in the current environment (and even if there is any movement, you might be looking at competing with many others for 1 or 2 spots).

I don't really get the overestimating part. We as fans are simply highlighting our strengths, the university is doing everything in its power to better itself (and attempting to be accepted as an AAU university in the process), and the state is doing everything in its budget to assist in that goal. That simply does not appear to be overestimating in my eyes.

Every school has weaknesses when looking at CR. Kansas is historically bad at FB, Oklahoma is isn't AAU. Neither have the markets that are available on the east coast. But unfortunately because UConn has been passed numerous times for varying reasons, its reputation has been damaged and opposing fans view our school as a net negative to the overall bottom line of these conferences. Forgive us as fans if we prefer to highlight our strengths such as our market location, state demand, basketball history, strong academics and fast rise in BCS football that simply refute that notion. When you look at the schools in the Big East that have found homes before UConn, you can make a case for every single one of them that UConn is of greater value based on market, academics, and athletics. That is not overestimating it can be factually and statiscally proven. The conferences had there reasons, but the case can absolutely be made.

UConn has been passed over nearly 10 times at this point in conference realignment. Overconfidence and overestimating isn't exactly what were feeling here.

Reaction Score
It is very possible that B1G was talking with Rutgers and Maryland before Pitt and Cuse were added to the ACC, and thus Rutgers and Maryland may have chosen B1G over the ACC.

We know Maryland chose them over the ACC, but as for Rutgers, do you really believe this? If Rutgers received an offer from the ACC years ago and rejected it over the confidence that the B1G would invite it in the future, then heads should be examined. That news would have leaked out anyway.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's exactly that I'm saying. Kansas is one of the very few schools where basketball can legitimately matter, and that also driven by the fact that it meets the academic requirements (AAU membership) and can be paired with OU (a football superpower) in theory. The UConn comparison is spot-on: if it were an AAU member and could bring along a Penn State-type football partner, then the equation obviously changes dramatically (but that's kind of like saying, "If my aunt was my uncle...").

all this I agree with

pj

Reaction Score
Frank, you say, "UConn just isn't winning an argument against Kansas and Oklahoma at the national level at this time." Perhaps "winning" is hard but on what set of metrics isn't UConn very comparable to these schools?

- UConn is as valuable as Kansas athletically, our market is larger (Connecticut 3.6 mn > Kansas 2.9 mn, NYC+Mass > eastern Missouri), Kansas wins on AAU status but we're close.

- UConn is weaker than Oklahoma in football but stronger in basketball, our market is larger (Connecticut 3.6 mn and wealthier ~ Oklahoma 3.8 mn, NYC+Mass tips balance), academically UConn beats Oklahoma.

I could see a slight difference depending on how much you value football and AAU, but the value is clearly similar. My belief is that basketball is important to the B1G as football, given the need for content on the BTN, the longer basketball season and 3x greater inventory; this will be especially true if the power conferences break away from the NCAA in basketball as they have in football.

Clearly UConn needs AAU status as that may be a dealbreaker for the B1G. Other than that, it's hard to see why you keep undervaluing us.

Reaction Score
My numbers are from the USA Today DB . Your figures were from 2011 and I quoted the 2012 numbers.

As for why ACC passed on Rutgers initially, you have to remember that ACC's revenue model is different from the Big Ten and it's a basketball first conference.

Pitt was probably the best overall candidate out of the 3 for the ACC and then Syracuse got the nod over Rutgers due to Rutgers' craptastic BBall program. They probably would have taken Rutgers over Louisville after the Big Ten raided them for Maryland but the Big Ten beat them to it.

As for Kansas vs UConn - the Big Ten is currently confident that it can take on NYC w/o UConn so the Big Ten won't be making those type of comparisons when analyzing future expansion. If/when the Big Ten fails in taking NYC a few years from now perhaps they will reconsider.

Reaction Score
I know people on this board don't necessarily want to hear this, but moving east in and of itself is NOT the goal of the Big Ten. That's the mistaken assumption that I keep seeing on this board a lot. Now, if the Big Ten gets who it believes to be the right schools in the east, then yes, it wants to move in that direction. That doesn't mean moving east for the sake of moving east, though.

Gordon Gee's remarks to Ohio State's athletic council were certainly insensitive, but it also provided a rare glimpse into the Big Ten's thinking that wasn't covered up by PR-speak and general "we're monitoring the landscape" platitudes. He said multiple times that Kansas and Missouri were high on his list, but the reason why the Big Ten didn't go that direction initially was that they were hoping for a breakup of the ACC and that "making a T" going toward the southeast was what the Big Ten was really after. When the Big Ten says "We want to go East", in my mind, that means UVA and UNC. Those are the two Eastern schools that the Big Ten really wants.

If the Big Ten can't get those two, though, that doesn't mean that the conference is simply going to add other eastern pieces for the sake of geography. This is a league that still wants to make a lot of money, and making a lot of money still ultimately means maintaining a great product. In the event that ACC schools are off the table, then schools like Kansas are absolutely high (if not on top) of the list. (Whatever happens with Missouri, I don't think anyone is leaving the SEC, so what the Big Ten's thoughts on them at this point are largely irrelevant.) KU is an AAU school with a massive fan base and the bluest of the blue blood basketball programs. You can't get any more blue blood than James Naismith starting up your basketball program. Also, KU's market isn't really the state of Kansas - it's both Kansas and the western half of Missouri (as KU is directly in the KC market, only it's on the Kansas side of the border). (And lest you think that I have any personal affinity for that school, that's absolutely not the case. I loathe those guys and wish nothing but bad things to happen to that team with the tiny exception that I'd slightly favor them over the even worse Duke. However, my personal viewpoint should have little to do with how they objectively should be valued in conference realignment.) Unless the Big Ten also wants to add Iowa State (which makes zero financial sense) and assuming that they aren't adding Mizzou or any ACC schools, there aren't any other contiguous AAU options for school #16. Good for UConn? I don't necessarily think so because if the Big Ten starts going down the proverbial well of looking at non-AAU members, then Oklahoma is sitting right there, and they're arguably a more valuable version of the Nebraska program that the Big Ten just added (more recent success, larger immediate home state market, and effectively a home team in the massive football-crazy Dallas market, so OU is the closest addition that gets you legit access to the state of Texas without actually being in Texas). The Big Ten spent the time and money to commission a study on Oklahoma for conference realignment, so this isn't exactly a stretch.

Yes, the Big Ten wanted to get a presence in the New York market, which is why they added Rutgers. However, the standards are much higher for schools #15 and #16. Essentially, schools #15 and #16 have to make markets almost irrelevant, where they're powerful enough additions that the Big Ten Network transforms from a regional network to a legit national network. That's what OU and KU can do better than anyone once you get past the obvious Notre Dame/Texas-types. Just look at what the Big Ten would be football-wise by slotting OU (along with KU) in the West Division and then incorporating KU into the basketball league. (Yes, I know that UConn has been stellar at basketball, as well, but KU is one of the few basketball brands strong enough where that can legitimately compensate for a lack of football success. Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Indiana and UCLA are also on that very short list. Everyone else, even schools like Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan State and UConn that have had elite programs every bit as successful as those blue bloods over the past 20 years, are on the "What have you done for me lately?" list where basketball doesn't count that much.)

In essence, I believe that the Big Ten would prefer to add UVA and UNC over OU and KU, but if they can't add UVA and UNC (which is more likely than not in my mind, particularly UNC), then I could certainly see OU and KU being the next targets. The main drawbacks to OU and KU are more political - making the very large assumption that any grant of rights issues are resolved, I think both of those schools would take a Big Ten invite in a heartbeat if they're left to their own devices, but they might not be able to act alone if they have to bring their in-state brothers of OSU and KSU with them (which would be non-starters for the Big Ten).

I have to disagree with you about national brands. UCONN's third tier licensing deals puts it among the top 6 or 7 richest deals. The only schools that top them is Kentucky, Ohio State, UNC and a couple of others. UCONN even eclipses Michigan on a per year average (even though their deal is longer). In an article written earlier this week, ESPN's Eamonn Brennan says " UConn—one of the premiere brands of the last two decades. . . that has its apparel anywhere where Nike sells basketball anything." And like Kentucky, they are doing this with just basketball. Imagine if UCONN grows its football product. If you take UCONN's $25M in licensing revenue, back out the BE money, add in the B1G or B12 money, you get a pretty sizable chunk of cash. Does that school deserve to be left out of a power conference? Kansas is a national brand, but I think you look at them through mid-west colored glasses—Kansas isn't huge in South Florida but everybody knows UCONN. Where we do agree is that, unlike Kentucky and Kansas, UCONN needs to keep winning under a new coach to maintain or grow its brand.

Next, I agree that the B1G's preference is to secure UNC and UVA over UCONN. However, the Big's additions thus far have been schools under duress and/or had a beef with the power structure in their conference. It turns out plucking UVA has proven to be a lot harder. IF (it's a big if) the GOR's stay in place, UCONN is the next logical choice. I cringe when I hear that Rutgers was chosen to deliver the NYC market. Nothing against Rutgers, but I don't think any one school can get it done. Personally, I would love to see a B1G Eastern division that included UCONN, UVA, UNC, Maryland, Rutgers and Penn State.

Again IF (big if) the GORs stay in place, and at some point UCONN gets offered by the ACC, the B1g 10 will look silly allowing the ACC to have UCONN and Syracuse to capture NYC (Rutgers alone won't have a chance) and will relegate themselves as an also ran when it comes to elite basketball.

Heck, even this old post (which I'm sure you are familiar with) talks about the value UCONN would bring to a conference:

http://frankthetank.me/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

Interestingly enough, once you back out the GOR schools, you are left with Missouri and UCONN.

Reaction Score

1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Pittsburgh
5. Louisville
6. Syracuse
7. Boston College

What is your basis for these rankings? To date, conference realignment has been focus on football. Using a football tradition the rankings would look like this:

National Championships (total) (claimed):
1. Pittsburgh (11) (9)
2. Miami (9) (5)
3. Maryland (2) (1)
4. Syracuse (1) (1)
5. Boston College (0) (1)
5. Rutgers (1) (0)
7. Virginia Tech (0) (0)
7. Louisville (0) (0)
7. Uconn (0) (0)

Pro football HOF:
1. Pittsburgh (8)
2. Syracuse (6)
2. Miami (6)
4. Boston College (2)
4. Maryland (2)
6. Louisville (1)
6. Virginia Tech (1)
8. Rutgers (0)
8. Uconn (0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/colleges.aspx

pj

Reaction Score

1. Rutgers
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Pittsburgh
5. Louisville
6. Syracuse
7. Boston College

This is exactly right. The B1G can afford to be picky and UConn is a bit shy of its standards -- AAU primarily. If UConn had been AAU, the B1G might have invited us with Rutgers long before Maryland became available.

The ACC has had screwball metrics and unfathomable internal politics. Their choices have not been forward looking and they have allowed petty grievances and parochial greed to trump rational assessments of value. The ACC is as wracked by dissension as the Big East ten years ago, they are walking the Big East's path even to the point of taking Notre Dame as a partial member, they have most of the old Big East membership, and the ACC's rejection of UConn is a repeat of the Big East's rejection of Penn State. Refusing Penn State was a small time move by the northeastern private schools to prevent a major competitor from emerging, they let the competitor emerge in the B1G instead; and the ACC is repeating exactly that move for the same reasons, BC and Syracuse in particular hope to prevent UConn from emerging as a competitor. I predict the ACC will have the same problems the Big East had and I hope UConn ends up in the same place Penn State did.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you about national brands. UCONN's third tier licensing deals puts it among the top 6 or 7 richest deals. The only schools that top them is Kentucky, Ohio State, UNC and a couple of others. UCONN even eclipses Michigan on a per year average (even though their deal is longer).

Michigan currently gets almost $52M annually in rights/licensing - so I think there's some fuzzy math going on here.

Reaction Score
Why wasn't the BE more successful with football money and bowls given the presence in the "rich" Northeast and NYC? It really comes down to NYC loves a winner and private schools do not bring a market.

Rutgers has begun to turn the football program around (this is a > decade process), but let's be honest, Rutgers used to be one of the worst football programs in the country. UConn didn't play FBS football until a little over 10 years ago. Even though, UConn's football fan base has exploded over that time period given the start from FCS. Syracuse has been bad for almost a decade and they are a private school located further away from NYC than Rutgers, Penn St, UConn, Temple, Maryland, and BC. They won't bring NYC to the ACC and the fan base has stagnated for 20 years. BC is also a private school that is not "Massachusetts" university. Fan base has been stagnant for 20 years. Temple never invested in football and the results showed.

The two current or former BE programs that could generate wide support in the Northeast in football are Rutgers and UConn as the flagship universities of two states. Unfortunately, over the past 10 years, Rutgers was in program building mode and UConn was just entering FBS football. Rutgers has already passed BC and Syracuse in attendance and UConn has been in the same ballpark even though UConn has been FBS for only a decade. Clearly, both programs have substantial upside in football.

It was hard for the BE to get good bowls with stagnant fan bases at Syracuse and Pitt, a developing Rutgers, two newbies to FBS in UConn and USF, two schools with mediocre but improving football programs in Louisville and Cinci. Only WVU really offered what bowls wanted. A well established conference could afford to have a couple of development programs, but, unlike WVU, the "traditional" BE football programs, Pitt and Syracuse, were not strong enough programs to be attractive to bowls.

Reaction Score

The ACC strategic needs are different than the Big Ten's strategic needs. Louisville was chosen for their likelihood as a Big12 target, for recent football success, and for political reasons (FSU and Clemson weren't crazy about adding a BB centric school). These reasons have nothing to do with the selection criteria for the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
My numbers are from the USA Today DB . Your figures were from 2011 and I quoted the 2012 numbers.

As for why ACC passed on Rutgers initially, you have to remember that ACC's revenue model is different from the Big Ten and it's a basketball first conference.

Pitt was probably the best overall candidate out of the 3 for the ACC and then Syracuse got the nod over Rutgers due to Rutgers' craptastic BBall program. They probably would have taken Rutgers over Louisville after the Big Ten raided them for Maryland but the Big Ten beat them to it.

As for Kansas vs UConn - the Big Ten is currently confident that it can take on NYC w/o UConn so the Big Ten won't be making those type of comparisons when analyzing future expansion. If/when the Big Ten fails in taking NYC a few years from now perhaps they will reconsider.

1. Thanks for the link, for some reason the database here (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1) only goes to 2011.

2. The ACC has to look at the future--they want an ACC netowrk. if they were only looking myopically at the next few years, then their decisions make sense.

3. I provided the link earlier in this thread that showed the first choices were UConn and Syracuse. Pitt fans even acknowledge that if you see some of their boards at the time.

4. I already went over the NYC/Conn. stuff. don't know why it doesn't get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom