Question for Frank the Tank | The Boneyard

Question for Frank the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Frank you are a level headed fella with interesting opinions that you make clear are opinions.

Can I get your opinion why people believe anything the Yodas or Dudes tweet? No matter how absurd people treat as legitimate. When their nonsense doesn't happen they claim it's because the news leaked (FSU to Big 12).

Why do so many people believe them?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
i-want-to-believe-too-u-f-o-saucer-believe-logic-aliens-demotivational-posters-1337983842.jpg

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Frank you are a level headed fella with interesting opinions that you make clear are opinions.

Can I get your opinion why people believe anything the Yodas or Dudes tweet? No matter how absurd people treat as legitimate. When their nonsense doesn't happen they claim it's because the news leaked (FSU to Big 12).

Why do so many people believe them?

They don't believe them. They WANT to believe them.

Big difference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They don't believe them. They WANT to believe them.

Big difference.

Still makes no sense. What he posts is ridiculous. It's probably a better question for a sociologist but these lunatics tweet Frank all the time.

Reaction Score
Shaky is probably on the mark there - it's that certain groups of people want to believe them and there's a lot of confirmation bias going on. Most fans generally overrate the drawing power of their own conferences and schools. Big 12 fans want to believe that they can get FSU with the right moves and WVU fans want to believe that their school is the one that made it all happen. Even fans of legit power players like Texas and my own Big Ten often overestimate how much they can really dictate things. They take something that works very well for them (i.e. third tier TV rights for Texas) and assume that anyone worth anything must want to do the same (the entire crux of the financial argument for FSU and other ACC schools moving to the Big 12 was based on those third tier rights). I'll even throw many of my own Big Ten brethren in here that couldn't fathom how UVA or UNC could turn down the overtures of an academically prestigious conference that prints TV and football money. It turns out that conference realignment is a bit more complicated than just finding where you can make the most money (even though that's obviously a huge factor).

At the same time, to the extent that there is any legit conference realignment talk among officials, I think a lot of people run with their inside sources as stating what conferences *will* do, when the reality is that they're reflecting what they *want* to do, which is a critical difference.

Also, let's face it: conference realignment is like crack to a lot of people. I'm certainly heavily interested in it. So, the rumor mongerers happily fill the void as dealers when nothing real is going on because there are so many readers that are easy targets.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
At the same time, to the extent that there is any legit conference realignment talk among officials, I think a lot of people run with their inside sources as stating what conferences *will* do, when the reality is that they're reflecting what they *want* to do, which is a critical difference.
Also, these sources may have the same biases you mentioned above. Plus, one might imagine that some of them might leak bad info to twitter or even traditional reporters to gauge the response of their current conference mates (who they don't trust), or potential conference mates (who they also don't trust).

Reaction Score
According to Frank this board actually serves no purpose.
UConn is stuck in their current conference forever.
We should shut this board down.
Any friends of ours from other schopls are welcome to post on anyone of the ample boards covering any topic.
Since we are delusionsl to even consider getting into a different conference we should change the heading to reflect that insanity
My suggestion is sane people like Frank should not be allowed as it is extremely disruptive to our fantasy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Yeah... saw that. To the boneyarders who would rather not hear about schools like Kansas and Oklahoma being higher up on the totem pole, don't click on that.

It's a good read. It's clearly a Midwest/plains expansion point of view, while Delaney and others have voiced a Eastern expansion point of view. One of each should do the trick. UConn and Kansas.

Reaction Score
I respect you, Frank, but this one makes you lose some credibility:
"historical brand names like West Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers"

Reaction Score
UConn + Kansas would be a horrible combination - I can see one of the two joining but not both.

Reaction Score
I respect you, Frank, but this one makes you lose some credibility:
"historical brand names like West Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers"

Rutgers did play in the first ever college football game in 1869, so you can at least say Rutgers is historical.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
frank, how much $ would tier 1, 2 and 3 be for the b10 with this?

B1G West-Texas, Ok, Kan, Mizzu, Neb, Wisc, Iowa, Minn, Ill, NW
B1G East- tOSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, Purdue, Indy, Md, Ruty, UVA, UNC

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UConn really needs to get to a friggin' bowl game this year. I'm so tired of being a throw-away school name that will only be added if X, Y, Z, ZZ, ZZZ and ZZZ(a) are available in 20 years.

Reaction Score
Football was conceived in Connecticut by s Conneccticut Native.
Walter Camp
It was populized Ny a Connecticut team Yale

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score

HuskyfanDan, take it to 22 with Ga Tech and UConn! One of the Indiana schools goes west.

Reaction Score
Rutgers did play in the first ever college football game in 1869, so you can at least say Rutgers is historical.
That was soccer. The first rugby-like game was between Harvard and McGill in 1874.

Reaction Score
That was soccer. The first rugby-like game was between Harvard and McGill in 1874.

It may not be football as we know it today, but it is widely considered the first game of "american football" and consisted of rules that resembled both soccer and rugby. If the Rutgers game is considered soccer, then should football be considered rugby until 1906 when the forward pass was made legal?

Reaction Score
It may not be football as we know it today, but it is widely considered the first game of "american football" and consisted of rules that resembled both soccer and rugby. If the Rutgers game is considered soccer, then should football be considered rugby until 1906 when the forward pass was made legal?
Gridiron football definitely has it's roots in rugby football. That's obvious, isn't it?

What was rugby-like about the game in 1869?

Reaction Score
Gridiron football definitely has it's roots in rugby football. That's obvious, isn't it?

What was rugby-like about the game in 1869?

"The game was played under a combination of rugbylike and soccerlike rules, and the ball could be moved only by kicking or hitting it with feet, hands, head or sides." The game included contact, including the football wedge that still exists today.

Reaction Score

Well, it would be a pretty ridiculous amount of money if the Big Ten could actually pull that off. Of course, UT and UNC are two of the toughest nuts to crack since they love their fiefdoms.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well, it would be a pretty ridiculous amount of money if the Big Ten could actually pull that off. Of course, UT and UNC are two of the toughest nuts to crack since they love their fiefdoms.

"a pretty ridiculous amount of money"

i think were talking 50 mil a year type, are we on the same page with that #?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom