Question for Frank the Tank | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Question for Frank the Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stassen's credible - it's a database so you can change the queries if you want, I just pulled the entire history for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Whaler,WTF anything positive RU history equal's trolling?Is that the best you can do?Caution,NO BS ZONE.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Listen up Nicky. I have no clue if your a good poster or a troll or what. I have only read a bit of your stuff. But NO ONE CAN TYPE LIKE ME here. It's. frucking law here. Your cramping my style. I don like that. You come banging on my trash can and I'll burn down your cardboard box pronto. You can believe that.

Wutang

Reaction Score
Stassen's credible - it's a database so you can change the queries if you want, I just pulled the entire history for Rutgers.

OK,I never heard of him but I'll accept in as factual!I was just curious given his disclaimer cause I didn't think of some of that earlier era as quite bigtime.Thank's woomba

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Listen up Nicky. I have no clue if your a good poster or a troll or what. I have only read a bit of your stuff. But NO ONE CAN TYPE LIKE ME here. It's. frucking law here. Your cramping my style. I don like that. You come banging on my trash can and I'll burn down your cardboard box pronto. You can believe that.

Wutang

You really want to take the reigns of UConn's athletic program but don't know if someone named Nicky Newark who butchers the language is a troll? Are you sure you are up to it?

Reaction Score
No, Louisville fell afoul the year before. They were punished for it with a two year docking of scholarships. The punishments were changed the year after (retroactively). So, the offense was the same for both UConn and Louisville (and many others including BCS schools). Only UConn received the ban however because the punishments were changed retroactively for the year in which UConn fell afoul. The problem with the APR is that it's anti-academic and encourages schools to track bball players especially into set courses, because the APR has little to do with grades, nothing to do with advancing in your major or with graduating.

Problems with APR as a metric aside, UConn had more severe violations than Louisville...and trouble 2 years in a row.

Look at the NCAA DB on this

SportSchoolStateAcademic YearMulti-Year RatePenaltiesPostseason
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2004 - 2005 889
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2005 - 2006 934
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2006 - 2007 946
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2007 - 2008 939
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2008 - 2009 930
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2009 - 2010 893 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 2
Historical Penalty - Public Notice = Yes
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2010 - 2011 889 Level One Penalty - Practice Reduction = Yes Postseason Ineligibility = Yes
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2011 - 2012 897

Football University of Louisville KY 2004 - 2005 952
Football University of Louisville KY 2005 - 2006 947
Football University of Louisville KY 2006 - 2007 943
Football University of Louisville KY 2007 - 2008 930
Football University of Louisville KY 2008 - 2009 926
Football University of Louisville KY 2009 - 2010 908 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 3
Football University of Louisville KY 2010 - 2011 911
Football University of Louisville KY 2011 - 2012 924

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You really want to take the reigns of UConn's athletic program but don't know if someone named Nicky Newark who butchers the language is a troll? Are you sure you are up to it?

Yup.

Reaction Score

Wutang

OK boss ha ha,but you can believe I'm not a troll just let your gut be your guide(not like bceagles he WAS a troll)!The board was dead during the period you weren't on it but when you gave someone a "like" I knew you were fine!! My man HuskyfanDan,the life of the BY!!

Reaction Score
OK,I never heard of him but I'll accept in as factual!I was just curious given his disclaimer cause I didn't think of some of that earlier era as quite bigtime.Thank's woomba

If by 'bigtime' you mean since the creation of the FBS then you can change the DB to show data from 1978 onwards. I ran the query here.

Reaction Score
You stated :

Even if you take out $24M (Big Ten contributions) from Michigan's $52M and UConn keeps ALL of its TV rights Michigan's $28M is still much, much higher than UConn's $22M. If that's not fuzzy math I'm not sure what is.

You can repeat the process with the other teams and I guarantee UConn won't be in the Top 6 or 7. Maybe top 20ish.

I was using the valuation of third tier licensing deals as a indicator of national brand value. With regard to Michigan, I was referencing specifically the IMG deal which pays them $86M over 12 years ($7.1M per year). Less than two years later UCONN secured a similar contract with IMG that pays them $80M over 10 years ($8M per year). During the same time period Ohio State signed a 1o year deal reportedly worth $110M. My point is that people in the sports marketing business see value in UCONN as a national brand. Furthermore, the fact that UCONN can command so much on the back of its basketball programs is noteworthy.

Your math doesn't apply to the point I was making. But, if you provided UCONN with $24M, or $20M, or $18M on top of its current licensing revenue (less BE disbursements), they would be fairly high on the list in terms licensing revenue. Where UCONN falls short is revenue from ticket sales and donor support. That's an area that could use improvement if UCONN wants to be taken seriously as a Football school.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ok I guess we'll need a third grader to point out Nicky is trolling for fun.

I have now read the whole thread besides my back and forth with frank.

Lololololo.ololo.

What do u want me to do about it whaler? I have no power. If I had power p and Nicky would be at the bar together.

Reaction Score
I was using the valuation of third tier licensing deals as a indicator of national brand value. With regard to Michigan, I was referencing specifically the IMG deal which pays them $86M over 12 years ($7.1M per year). Less than two years later UCONN secured a similar contract with IMG that pays them $80M over 10 years ($8M per year). During the same time period Ohio State signed a 1o year deal reportedly worth $110M. My point is that people in the sports marketing business see value in UCONN as a national brand. Furthermore, the fact that UCONN can command so much on the back of its basketball programs is noteworthy.

Your math doesn't apply to the point I was making. But, if you provided UCONN with $24M, or $20M, or $18M on top of its current licensing revenue (less BE disbursements), they would be fairly high on the list in terms licensing revenue. Where UCONN falls short is revenue from ticket sales and donor support. That's an area that must improve if UCONN wants to be taken seriously as a Football school.

IMG is just for third tier media rights and they negotiates the package with each school separately to allow for schools to manage certain aspects of it themselves so it isn't an all-inclusive deal for third-tier/licensing. Apparel, for example, is usually done separately from IMG.

Since all third tier TV games are monetized through the BTN for Big Ten schools, IMG contracts will generally be relatively smaller compared to other schools that hold on to their third tier games.

Michigan in particular is a bit unique in that they have a no-ad policy in the Big House so there will be less monetizing opportunities for a company like IMG.

Reaction Score
Problems with APR as a metric aside, UConn had more severe violations than Louisville...and trouble 2 years in a row.

Look at the NCAA DB on this

Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2004 - 2005 889
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2005 - 2006 934
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2006 - 2007 946
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2007 - 2008 939
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2008 - 2009 930
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2009 - 2010 893 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 2
Historical Penalty - Public Notice = Yes
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2010 - 2011 889 Level One Penalty - Practice Reduction = Yes Postseason Ineligibility = Yes
Men's Basketball University of Connecticut CT 2011 - 2012 897

Football University of Louisville KY 2004 - 2005 952
Football University of Louisville KY 2005 - 2006 947
Football University of Louisville KY 2006 - 2007 943
Football University of Louisville KY 2007 - 2008 930
Football University of Louisville KY 2008 - 2009 926
Football University of Louisville KY 2009 - 2010 908 Immediate Penalty - Scholarship Reduction = 3
Football University of Louisville KY 2010 - 2011 911
Football University of Louisville KY 2011 - 2012 924

I don't see the difference you speak of. The difference between 893 and 908 is as insignificant as the difference between 889 and 911. Both are below the threshold. Prior to 2010, both schools had 4 years of higher scores. The only difference between the two is the years of the punishment. UConn got dinged retroactively.

Reaction Score
IMG is just for third tier media rights and they negotiates the package with each school separately to allow for schools to manage certain aspects of it themselves so it isn't an all-inclusive deal for third-tier/licensing. Apparel, for example, is usually done separately from IMG.

Since all third tier TV games are monetized through the BTN for Big Ten schools, IMG contracts will generally be relatively smaller compared to other schools that hold on to their third tier games.

Michigan in particular is a bit unique in that they have a no-ad policy in the Big House so there will be less monetizing opportunities for a company like IMG.

This is why it's smart to use the total revenue and back out the conference TV money to get a true picture of each school's pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom