Putting the ball on the court at the end of a game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Putting the ball on the court at the end of a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I said in my narrative Cuango, people can look at a play and see it differently. In pro football, a player can score a touchdown and then throw the football at the opposing team’s logo behind the end zone, or punch the goalpost stanchion that has the home team’s logo on it. Remember Billy “white-shoes” Johnson?

Some fans see that as an innocent act of celebration, others see it as an act of defiance and disrespect. There are more players in the league like Terrell Owens who was obsessed with making a display of emotion every time he scored. That’s who he was.

Barry Sanders scored as many if not more touchdowns as Owens. Not once did he ever spike the ball or do anything after crossing the goal line but toss the ball to the referee and return to his bench. No dancing, no gyrations, no posing for pictures with teammates. That’s who he was. Perception, you either liked Owens, or you thought he was a hotdog and a show-off.
Those actions are all easily construed as disrespectful or even taunting. How is simply setting the ball down on the court seen in that light?

sun

Reaction Score
Those actions are all easily construed as disrespectful or even taunting. How is simply setting the ball down on the court seen in that light?
The NFL rulebook defines taunting under the unsportsmanlike conduct umbrella as the following:

"Using baiting or taunting acts or words that may engender ill will between teams."

IMO it can be considered to be a form or act of baiting. - "Come & get the ball, it's left on the floor for you."
It's only a matter of time to find out what could possibly happen next.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I took a look back at the end of game situation in number of games last season when we were up and running out the clock. In several cases the ball was placed on the floor with 2-3 seconds left after a bit of dribbling. IMO, the only reason any of us noted this in this case is because Nika placed it on the floor a bit earlier (I think about 5 seconds on the clock) and then Amari picked it up. I echo ConwayGmck post above. No disrespect meant or taken. The opponent had already stood down as had we, the clock was the only one still in game mode!
There is a rule that a player must dribble or shoot within 5 seconds of receiving the ball. If a player stops dribbling and just holds it, that’s fine for 5 seconds but if they just hold it for 6+ seconds, it’s a turnover. Just putting the ball on the court has the same effect as holding the ball without the turnover

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay at the end of the game. Nika is dribbling, the person guarding her drops their arms to their sides, Nika dribbles towards the sideline and places the ball on the ground. Everyone starts to move towards their benches and Amari is the only one that goes towards the ball. If she hadn't I have no doubt the Marquette players would have just walked right by it. Ironically when Amari picked it up one of them turned back, probably thinking 'what's she going to do with the ball'.

When the defensive player covering Nika dropped her arms, that signaled game over, Nika acknowledged that by dribbling towards the sideline and putting the ball down. No disrespect shown or taken, just a mutual acceptance that they all stopped competing and the game was over.

If you want to see an example of being disrespectful, find a replay of a game last season, I think, when Uconn had secured the win and Nika was dribbling the ball out and the opposing player went at her and tried stealing the ball. Geno had a good laugh about it post game, saying that Nika was pretty pissed about it. That was disrespectful, as would be trying to score, when you have the last possession and clearly have the game won.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I gave you why teams should play it out and you respond like that. Weak. I talked about my own experience and extrapolated that to a player on UConn.
If everyone knows that the end of the game is an opportunity for bench players to get experience, then that is the understanding. Believe it or not, in a blowout situation, choose your margin to be respectful, maybe 30, coaches can even talk to each other about what they might want to get out of an end of game period of time.
Everyone hoots about a scenario like this, but one time my college coach called timeout during "turkey time" to organize us. Obviously I remember it, 45 years later. It meant that we meant something.
Get out of your "tunnel vision". Try to see different perspectives.
I see your perspective. It's just called poor sportsmanship. And has no place in UCONN WBB.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is a rule that a player must dribble or shoot within 5 seconds of receiving the ball. If a player stops dribbling and just holds it, that’s fine for 5 seconds but if they just hold it for 6+ seconds, it’s a turnover. Just putting the ball on the court has the same effect as holding the ball without the turnover
I think you mean if the player is being guarded they have to dribble/shoot/pass within 5 seconds. If no one is guarding them they can stand there until the shot clock expires (or 10 seconds in the back court).

Reaction Score
To take a quote from Hyman Roth (Godfather II); dropping the ball on the court in the waning seconds of a game is "small potatoes". I am much more concerned with the general lack of civility which has invaded the women's game in general (thank God, not our Huskies). Every night during the season you can view recent a Division 1 fight, pushing match, and T for taunting on You Tube somewhere in a women's game. This should surprise no one given the obnoxious actions from their "role models" in the professional ranks. Watch a local high school or youth game today, and you see the same antics, and it is getting worse. Many coaches also model negative behavior, Look no further than to the men's team! Sports used to be a builder of character and discipline. Sadly, no more - John Wooden must be turning over...! Geno, CD and the rest of the coaching crew are now the exception v the rule today. Sigh.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The same as any class A technical which are mainly subjective unlike class B or administrative fouls.
Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

sun

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay at the end of the game. Nika is dribbling, the person guarding her drops their arms to their sides, Nika dribbles towards the sideline and places the ball on the ground. Everyone starts to move towards their benches and Amari is the only one that goes towards the ball. If she hadn't I have no doubt the Marquette players would have just walked right by it. Ironically when Amari picked it up one of them turned back, probably thinking 'what's she going to do with the ball'.

When the defensive player covering Nika dropped her arms, that signaled game over, Nika acknowledged that by dribbling towards the sideline and putting the ball down. No disrespect shown or taken, just a mutual acceptance that they all stopped competing and the game was over.

If you want to see an example of being disrespectful, find a replay of a game last season, I think, when Uconn had secured the win and Nika was dribbling the ball out and the opposing player went at her and tried stealing the ball. Geno had a good laugh about it post game, saying that Nika was pretty pissed about it. That was disrespectful, as would be trying to score, when you have the last possession and clearly have the game won.
1. That's what happened this time against Marquette but not every NCAA player can be counted on to react the same way that they did.

2. Watching the game, I thought that 6 seconds being left on the clock was an excessive amount of time to be putting the ball down.

3. Nika was probably instructed to hold the ball to expire the clock.
Putting the ball down isn't the same as holding it.
It can lead to further unpredictable events.
It's not like Nika's arms were going to fall off if she kept dribbling the ball.
Or she could have passed it to a teammate who would have gladly handled it like Amari did.

4. Now what's the real reason for it?
I'm not sure other than perhaps someone wants to be non-conformist.
If it happens the same way over & over then perhaps some team will try to pick up the ball and give it a heave or cause a foul if someone tries to stop them.
All because Nika doesn't want to conform or pass the ball off?
No one got hurt in this case but somehow either the team, Nika or the coach looks bad.
Not everyone thinks the same way.
I wouldn't be surprised if some Marquette players thought more about what they could have done if the incident happened all over again.

To take a quote from Hyman Roth (Godfather II); dropping the ball on the court in the waning seconds of a game is "small potatoes". I am much more concerned with the general lack of civility which has invaded the women's game in general (thank God, not our Huskies). Every night during the season you can view recent a Division 1 fight, pushing match, and T for taunting on You Tube somewhere in a women's game. This should surprise no one given the obnoxious actions from their "role models" in the professional ranks. Watch a local high school or youth game today, and you see the same antics, and it is getting worse. Many coaches also model negative behavior, Look no further than to the men's team! Sports used to be a builder of character and discipline. Sadly, no more - John Wooden must be turning over...! Geno, CD and the rest of the coaching crew are now the exception v the rule today. Sigh.
This is so true and among the reasons players seem to promote the image of being a "bad boy" or bad girl" type. They may think that they're being cool which may be why some players would go after the ball on the floor and perhaps knock down a UConn player in the process.
IMO if players really want to protect the backs of their teammates then you'd think that players would conform to ending the game the way that they've been taught by the UConn staff.
If a player were willing to pick up the ball then I'm sure that Nika would be the first that wants to rumble.
And that's my concern when the perception of being baited shouldn't be happening in the 1st place.
That's not a way to defend the ball or honor the game or your teammates.
Just pass the ball to someone else to dribble out the clock.

6. I thought the same thing when Paige threw the ball way up high into the air to end a game.
It's a risky move if the ball comes down and hits someone in the head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quit this song and dance!
Let the kids play. The end of the game is a chance for bench players to get minutes. To learn and play basketball. Both teams have a bench. How many scholarships do D1 teams get- 13, 14, 15. That means 3, 4 or 5 players on each team have players generally not playing at all. (I know except for UConn with all their infirmities) The game is over. Everybody knows the game is over. Let 'em play.
Or.... just sound the horn and let's go home.
This dribbling out the clock or placing the ball down or whatever is a waste of my oxygen. I like it in the NFL, when the clock can just run out and players start walking across the field to shake hands. Very communal and positive. They could do that. If the losing teams concede and there is less than 30 seconds to go, everyone starts shaking hands. BTW I love how the NBA ends games now, with hugs and hand shakes with teammates and opponents. I get a kick out of it.

Reaction Score
Still haven’t seen a real explanation of why setting the ball down on the court is somehow taunting, insulting, disrespectful, or enraging to the opposing players. I guess I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I just don’t get it!

sun

Reaction Score
Still haven’t seen a real explanation of why setting the ball down on the court is somehow taunting, insulting, disrespectful, or enraging to the opposing players. I guess I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I just don’t get it!
For every Nika who wants to put the ball down early, somewhere there's an anti-Nika who wants to pick the ball up.
Anti-Nika may enjoy to keep playing the game and doesn't mind risking a fun tumble with Nika.
It's in the rules, the game isn't over until it's over.
I don't know how else to put it, Nika may be ready to quit early but others don't need to agree with her.

What do you want UConn to do, have all of the players huddle around the ball so Nika doesn't need to dribble it out?
Maybe that would be considered an invitation for a technical?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll try.
In victory, a sportsman is understated, a sportsman expresses humility and modesty. A sportsman compliments the opponent. Sometimes the best examples of this is after a boxing match, in which the two combatants tried for 11 rounds to knock the other's block off.
in one-on-one, if I was checking you the ball and I was overly competitive or aggressive, I might put the ball in front of you on the ground, probably with some gyrations or expletives to go with it. It would be a gesture of aggression. Players know what that would mean. It's the polar opposite of the humble attitude in my first paragraph.
Time to lay down the swords and acknowledge your opponents effort
All the non-verbal communication we do on a minute by minute basis! It is what it is.
In the British Open of (I think) 2016, Jordan Spieth (my favorite) made a windy eagle putt coming down the stretch and, as he walked off the green, he pointed at the hole telling his caddy to "pull it out"- pull the ball out of the hole. It was a thrilling moment. 2 or so holes prior he had literally almost hit the ball off the golf course. Yes- his gestures were uncool, unsportsmanlike for golf. Yes, it was exciting as heck. Google it for kicks

Reaction Score
How can it be considered unsportsmanlike or taunting, the only thing they are doing is putting the ball on the court and walking away.
And, in every case I have seen, the defending team has stopped defending. Everyone knows the game is over and the outcome decided. Time to take a shower.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'll try.
In victory, a sportsman is understated, a sportsman expresses humility and modesty. A sportsman compliments the opponent. Sometimes the best examples of this is after a boxing match, in which the two combatants tried or 11 rounds to knock the other's block off.
in one-on-one, if I was checking you the ball and I was overly competitive or aggressive, I might put the ball in ront of you on the ground, probably with some gyrations or expletives to go with it. It would be a gesture of aggression. Players know what that would mean. It's the polar opposite of the humble attitude in my irst paragraph.
Time to lay down the swords and acknowledge your opponents effort
All the non-verbal communication we do on a minute by minute basis! It is what it is.
In the British Open of (I think) 2016, Jordan Spieth (my avorite) made a windy eagle putt coming down the stretch and, as he walked off the green, he pointed at the hole telling his caddy to "pull it out"- pull the ball out of the hole. It was a thrilling moment. 2 or so holes prior he had literally almost hit the ball off the golf course. Yes- his gestures were uncool, unsportsmanlike or golf. Yes, it was exciting as heck. Google it or kicks
That makes no sense. Explain how putting the ball down at the end of the game and walking away is taunting? It's the exact opposite.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. People are too easily offended today.
You’re right! People are easily offended today. That’s why we have ”road rage” incidents today we did not have 40-50 years ago. This is where we are and we have no choice but to live with it. You can’t make people see things the way we may want them to. Rich people have a much different perspective on world events and day to day life than poor people do. That will never change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who's gonna tell'em about what Diana did with the ball at the end of the NCAA finals?
As I recall, she dropkicked it into the stands. In her defense she might have trying to kick it over to CD to see if she could catch it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How????? Perception. Everyone does not see things the same. They never have and never will. Look at the division on this topic so far. Some think it’s much ado about nothing, others have a much different opinion. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is there a right or wrong, or just a difference of opinion/perception?

I’m fine with anyone not seeing this from my point of view. I respect others point of view, but I don’t have to agree with it. :)

Reaction Score
How????? Perception. Everyone does not see things the same. They never have and never will. Look at the division on this topic so far. Some think it’s much ado about nothing, others have a much different opinion. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is there a right or wrong, or just a difference of opinion/perception?

I’m fine with anyone not seeing this from my point of view. I respect others point of view, but I don’t have to agree with it. :)
Exactly, Carnac.... it seems we wouldn't need to go any further than to ask Nika and Amari for their thoughts on the matter. Clearly, in the game in question above, Amari instinctively felt to pick the ball up and hand it to the ref was the respectful and courteous thing to do.

I would admire Nika that much more if she had done that, and hope she will in the future, maybe after the Huskies have beaten Stanford or SC in the national championship game? Dribbling the ball for another three or four seconds would hardly lessen the joy of a post-game celebration.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In my opinion, this is much ado about nothing. But, that's just me.
Not just you.

Truly unbelievable that something so trivial and inconsequential as this is prompting such hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing. Good lord.

It isn't at all. People have active imaginations that they insist on exercising.

Reaction Score
This is something new that is catching on around college and probbly HS basketball. The head coaches will control it. Either they will allow it or they won't. As I shared in another thread, I'm old school. That is not how we were taught to play the game. I played for three coaches. 1 HS, 2 in college. All three would have gone ballistic if one of their players did that. That player probably would have been benched for the next game. We we always taught to respect the game, and don't cheat it.

But that was 50 years ago. Things, perceptions and people change. We played in tight short shorts and Chuck Taylor shoes. Nike, Addidas and Puma had not been invented yet. Since basketball has been played the styles and brands have changed from decade to decade. In the ‘50s and ‘60s, Converse was the dominant shoe in the league, during this era the NBA was all about legends Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain. Few people today know that the “Chuck” is truly a basketball shoe. THIS is the shoe I played in. This was all we had at the time.

View attachment 82694

We played with only 2 referees. The 3 point line was about 25 years in the future. There were no girl's HS sports teams in the mid-60's in metropolitan L.A. All male sports teams....football, basketball, golf, tennis, baseball, etc. My college did not have any intercolligiete women's sports teams either. See how much things have changed in the last 50 years. :cool: I don't like it, but I can live with it. It won't keep me up at night. It will only continue if the coaches allow it.
Well, I played even further back, and I can't remember stopping playing until the final buzzer went off. I believe that was one of Naismith's original rules. Up by 20,down by 20, we just kept playing. Beat 'em by 22. What's the difference. Oh, and loved my Converse All Stars.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Normally Nan would have “locked” this thread already, but as she innocuously started it, maybe Biff can sub in and lock it down…
This thread shows how rigid our brethren are with their views and seeing conspiracy everywhere when none exists.

sun

Reaction Score
How can you expect UConn players to become pro players someday if they're not taught to play like pros?
A pro coach would ask, "Where did you learn to play that way...Mars?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member