Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well Kemba, Rudy, Charlie Vil, and Oriahki were all McDonald's AA's. I believe Scott Hazelton was as well. There's at least five.

Reaction Score
I am thinking of starting a new thread called "Purvis"- not for any other reason but to have another thread with "Purvis" in the title.

Reaction Score
Well Kemba, Rudy, Charlie Vil, and Oriahki were all McDonald's AA's. I believe Scott Hazelton was as well. There's at least five.

Dude, the link is a few posts ^^^^^^^

Reaction Score
I give him a pass because Purvis is not an official Husky yet. But I get really pissed when people spell Boatright as Boatwright. There's really no excuse for that

Yea no U-Conn Huskie fan should ever misspell a player's name!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think he has officially been released from NC State, but once that happens, from the sound of all the rumors, things could happen fast.

As I understand it, he has been given a release with few restrictions - UConn is not one of the restricted schools.

Reaction Score
anyone actually watch him play much this year? I work with basically all NC State grads and they don't seem all that upset about him leaving other than losing depth. He got bumped from the starting lineup at the end of the year by one of their other freshmen, Warren. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited at the chance to bring him in for real this time, but as usual I think we should temper our expectations. From what they've told me he's undeniably a great athlete, but "if we need someone to miss 4 or 5 layups a game then he's our guy." Sounds to me he could play out a lot like kemba/bazz/boat where he has the ability to play at that extra gear, but really needs to work on slowing everything down and playing under control. Bazz has just about got it down, boat looks like he'll need his remaining 2 years, and purvis might end up being the same way

Edit: Also, as has been said in the other tread, he wants to play the point and he was not going to get that chance at state

Reaction Score
Wow. Can't believe Charlie v was 18? I remember him as a top 5 recruit. Pretty sure scout had him as 3. Also surprised taliek was 10. Or our second "best" recruit ever according to that lost.

All that aside just goes to show the remarkable job Calhoun did. Some very good recruits on that list but we have one top 5 recruit ever. Kentucky has about 12 in the last four years. Carolina, duke, Kansas, even Cuse have many more higher ranked recruits and have less to show for it. Which furthers my point, Jim Calhoun, greatest cbb coach ever!!

Reaction Score
anyone actually watch him play much this year? I work with basically all NC State grads and they don't seem all that upset about him leaving other than losing depth. He got bumped from the starting lineup at the end of the year by one of their other freshmen, Warren. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited at the chance to bring him in for real this time, but as usual I think we should temper our expectations. From what they've told me he's undeniably a great athlete, but "if we need someone to miss 4 or 5 layups a game then he's our guy." Sounds to me he could play out a lot like kemba/bazz/boat where he has the ability to play at that extra gear, but really needs to work on slowing everything down and playing under control. Bazz has just about got it down, boat looks like he'll need his remaining 2 years, and purvis might end up being the same way

Edit: Also, as has been said in the other tread, he wants to play the point and he was not going to get that chance at state

He had a crappy coach.
Warren wasn't a freshman.

Reaction Score
Warren is a freshman

ah, seems someone was confused in the tweets I've been reading. I just looked him up. He's a 6-8 forward. It's hard to imagine how he stole the spot of a 6'2 guard.

I just checked Warren's gamelog. His minutes were consistent all year.

Reaction Score
ah, seems someone was confused in the tweets I've been reading. I just looked him up. He's a 6-8 forward. It's hard to imagine how he stole the spot of a 6'2 guard.

I just checked Warren's gamelog. His minutes were consistent all year.

They shifted Scott Wood to SG, who started mostly as the SF, for NC State during the year. I read some where that they were looking for more size up front, so that's why they began starting Warren. Whether that is true, I don't know. Purvis had been struggling & NC State was under pressure to make the NCAAs after being hyped as a Top 10 team in the preseason. Make no mistake, Warren had a very good Freshman year for NC State, so it wasn't a risky move.

Reaction Score
They shifted Scott Wood to SG, who started mostly as the SF, for NC State during the year. I read some where that they were looking for more size up front, so that's why they began starting Warren. Whether that is true, I don't know. Purvis had been struggling & NC State was under pressure to make the NCAAs after being hyped as a Top 10 team in the preseason. Make no mistake, Warren had a very good Freshman year for NC State, so it wasn't a risky move.

Warren got the same minutes though.

Reaction Score
Purvis sure would look good in a national flag blue and white uniform.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
As I understand it, he has been given a release with few restrictions - UConn is not one of the restricted schools.

I was hoping UConn WOULD be a restricted school. It could mean that NC State thought he would end up in the same conference.

Reaction Score
The series of question marks, I thought, indicated incredulity. Either:
  • He was a McDs AA;
  • Who was he.

No, not the first two names (Hazelton &Thompson) that jump in your mind when u think of our history, thats all......

Reaction Score
No, not the first two names (Hazelton &Thompson) that jump in your mind when u think of our history, thats all......

I'm pretty sure Corny Thompson was the #1 ranked player in the country as a HS Senior back in the late 70's. Just because he wasn't here when Calhoun was doesn't mean that he isn't important to the history of UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom