Providence Post Game Thread. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure why he said that. Was he supposed to stop and let PC foul him instead? Because that's what would have happened.

If my other half of parlay didn’t miss, that dunk to push from 7-9 would have REALLY helped my -7.5 line…but alas it didn’t matter. I only get good beats when it doesn’t help

Reaction Score
He would absolutely destroy me on the court, it's just funny how out of place a good basketball player looks on the court in high level D1. Some people even think by looks alone Cam looks out of place when in actuality he's an incredible athlete.

Give me 40 minutes to warm-up and shot of toradol in my back, and I'm putting that nerd on skates.

Reaction Score
Cool. I'd never heard this.

Wikipedia version:

The filming of The Godfather faced strong opposition from the Italian-American Civil Rights League, with disputes headed by Joe Colombo and Frank Sinatra threatening its whole production. Producer Al Ruddy eventually made a deal with the league and Joe Colombo to cut the word Mafia (which was only used once in the script) and the League would back the production of the film. This meant mobsters would be present on the set of The Godfather. In 1971, when Montana was acting as a bodyguard for a senior Colombo family member, he met Francis Ford Coppola and Al Ruddy. After being introduced to the 6'6" 320-pound Montana, they quickly cast him for the role of Luca Brasi. When Bettye McCartt, Al Ruddy's assistant, broke her watch, Montana offered to get her a new one. A week later, Montana returned with a "gift from the boys" – an antique diamond watch. He was picked for the part after the original actor playing the character died of a stroke. This was his first credited film appearance. Montana was very nervous about appearing opposite Brando. Director Coppola incorporated this real-life tension into several scenes, showing Brasi repeatedly practicing (and later fumbling) his congratulations to Corleone. Montana had little screen time in the film (although his final scene is one of the most suspenseful in the film), but his notable height and physique caught the eye of producers, and he appeared in several movies and television programs after appearing in The Godfather.

When that movie came out I remember the long lines going down the block for the Merritt Theater. It was all Sicilians or Italians, they were pumped. My uncle was a Bridgeport cop at the time, he worked overtime at the theater and he thinks he saw the movies 150+ times. He had it memorized.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed last night with Samson. It's not that he's a bad rebounder, it seems like most of the time when a shot goes up he's just completely uninterested in getting a rebound at all

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed last night with Samson. It's not that he's a bad rebounder, it seems like most of the time when a shot goes up he's just completely uninterested in getting a rebound at all

Hands of Stone in boxing? Good.
Hands of Stone in basketball? Not good.

He has so many rebounds he gets his hands on and either fumbles them or gets it stripped or batted away. And then he falls to the ground.

Reaction Score
I wish UConn would offer some kind of fan experience contest. PC really knows how to keep their fans engaged in the program. They even let their winner go in the game against the #1 team in the country.

Reaction Score
I will say my favorite moment of the night was the Providence bench getting a T after quite literally the easiest charge call I’ve ever seen.
it's a block in college because college refs are incompetent. At the pro and international levels that's a block all day.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can nitpick #2. Seems like every game bigs are called for moving screens or illegal screens. Some calls are better than others but I almost expect one foul a game from Clingan and Johnson on those.

The other fouls were all because Oduro got Clingan off his feet and Clingan bringing his arms down. Three of those shots Oduro hit when he came back in against Clingan, I'll let Oduro take all game long. Kudos to him for making all of them, but I like my chances if he has to shoot like that over Clingan all game long.

Yes, Clingan played soft. Weird as it sounds, that is a skill every player needs to learn how to do when they are in foul trouble and it's more advantageous for their soft version to be on the court rather than on the bench. Knowing how to dial it back and stay on the court while in foul trouble is a learned skill.
#2 wasn't a foul. Somebody in chat said "he wasn't set". You don't have to be set. You're allowed to walk around the court on and if some guy comes running as fast as he can and just runs into you, that's not a foul. We see bigs with the non-illegal moving screens all the time when they just walk down the court and the guards still use that to their advantage.

Reaction Score

Which is weird, because it's not like he doesn't play hard. In fact, he plays too hard on some of his hedges. And it's not like he can't rebound - he had some monster rebounds in traffic against Texas. Maybe he's thinking too much. The staff needs to get this one figured out because we need him to be more of a rebounding/rim protecting presence when Clingan's on the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
it's a block in college because college refs are incompetent. At the pro and international levels that's a block all day.
You meant charge. I think you're wrong here. Carter ran into Cam full speed, kept pushing him backward and ended with a little shove. Cam wasn't even in Carter's path to the rim, Carter avoided that path so he could run into Cam. That is not a block in the NBA unless it's LeBron.

Reaction Score
Clingan‘s first foul was because he effectively challenged the first shot and Spencer fell asleep and got outworked by Floyd for the rebound. Clingan was out of position and instinctively went after the second shot - I didn’t think there was much of a foul there, truthfully, but that should be in the film room - “you don’t do your job, and it has a domino effect where the big guy gets in foul trouble.” Although Cam knew - he was mad at himself.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When that movie came out I remember the long lines going down the block for the Merritt Theater. It was all Sicilians or Italians, they were pumped. My uncle was a Bridgeport cop at the time, he worked overtime at the theater and he thinks he saw the movies 150+ times. He had it memorized.
There's a lot of things to like about that movie including the plot, acting, cinematography, and score, but another part is that the Italian characters are not caricatures. There are definitely moments that "ring true" such as Clemenza teasing Michael about not saying I love you to Kay on the phone. I suspect that's why it may have resonated in the Italian and Sicilian communities.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The "actor" who played Luca was a fill-in at a moment's notice for a Hollywood actor who flaked out. He was on the set watching when they pulled him into the movie. Who was he? He was a hitman for the Colombo crime family. Coppola was a genius because he insisted Luca's lines stay in the movie, while everyone around him was telling him the Mafia guy was maybe the worst actor in human history. It's also said that in the scene of Luca practicing lines outside the meeting with the Godfather, that was the actor ACTUALLY practicing his lines.
Nice story. But that was Godfather I.

First we get a quote misattributed to Moe Green. Now we can't even get the movie right... know your references people!

Reaction Score
You meant charge. I think you're wrong here. Carter ran into Cam full speed, kept pushing him backward and ended with a little shove. Cam wasn't even in Carter's path to the rim, Carter avoided that path so he could run into Cam. That is not a block in the NBA unless it's LeBron.
Lebron don't get those calls anymore. You mean Embiid,Jokic and Giannis.

Reaction Score
Hands of Stone in boxing? Good.
Hands of Stone in basketball? Not good.

He has so many rebounds he gets his hands on and either fumbles them or gets it stripped or batted away. And then he falls to the ground.
Maybe in rebounding, but he seems to have excellent hands when catching passes or for alley-oops. He seems pretty fluid

Reaction Score
I love having Newton in games like this. He knows how to draw fouls at will anywhere on the court... How many did he draw last night? I'm sure it's easily double figures.

Reaction Score
Nice story. But that was Godfather I.

First we get a quote misattributed to Moe Green. Now we can't even get the movie right... know your references people!
I think you're confused.

Luca Brasi was in I. Not II.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If my other half of parlay didn’t miss, that dunk to push from 7-9 would have REALLY helped my -7.5 line…but alas it didn’t matter. I only get good beats when it doesn’t help
Was on my knees for them to foul Newton at the end.

IMG_4090.jpeg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ball is behind, Newton, Spencer, Castle and Diarra in the backcourt. With the game close, late and Clingan/Johnson/Castle in foul trouble, Hurley went with the defensive upperclassmen. Otherwise I think we see more of Ball if just Castle is in foul trouble.

He will be called upon at some point, he just needs to be ready. I think we see him get some run at MSG.

Reaction Score
yes I meant charge but too late to edit. I disagree but I don't agree with 95% of the charges called in college so I can't be swayed, I honestly don't understand how college refs haven't had some type of symposium on what a charge/block is because in regards to high levels of basketball(college/NBA/FIBA rules) the charge in college isn't called like that at the other levels. When the NBA guys like Stan Van Gundy, Reggie Miller, Brendan Haywood, etc call college games during March Madness they're always baffled at what gets called charges in the college game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clingan‘s first foul was because he effectively challenged the first shot and Spencer fell asleep and got outworked by Floyd for the rebound. Clingan was out of position and instinctively went after the second shot - I didn’t think there was much of a foul there, truthfully, but that should be in the film room - “you don’t do your job, and it has a domino effect where the big guy gets in foul trouble.” Although Cam knew - he was mad at himself.

That happened several times last night where PC outhustled UConn and got a basket or foul because the scrum got UConn out of position.
Whether it was slapping at UConn players after they got the rebound, diving and tapping at loose balls, poking the ball from behind as UConn went up the floor, PC was more aggressive wanting the ball than UConn was at it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom