Providence Post Game Thread. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread.

Reaction Score
I love having Newton in games like this. He knows how to draw fouls at will anywhere on the court... How many did he draw last night? I'm sure it's easily double figures.
Totally agree. Reminds me of Carmelo Anthony at Cuse in that way. Death by a thousand paper cuts and you see him doing it over and over and they can’t do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Need help.. can not find the post game presser with hurley last night. Can anyone post it please..
I scrolled through the 11 pages and did not see it

Reaction Score
I love Brando trying to make us see fouls that don't exist. He has the knowledge to be a good announcer, but he's just too much of a suck-up to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I love Brando trying to make us see fouls that don't exist. He has the knowledge to be a good announcer, but he's just too much of a suck-up to make it happen.
All this Godfather talk, does everyone think that was Marlon Brando commentating with Donny last night?

Reaction Score
I was at last night's game, which I thought would never end. There is contact on every play that could be called a foul. The grabbing and bumping on players without the ball is much more evident in person.
The best thing about being in Gampel is seeing how much fun the students have, and the banners. The bench seats and parking, not so much. Another plus is not having to listen to Donny Marshall. What's his beef with UCONN?
Castle's defense on Carter was next level. Also, before the game in shoot around, he doesn't miss. His stroke is there, and as he gets more confidence, watch out.
Most of the bad calls were by refs, not in a position to make a call. A outside ref, can not see a ball strip or an arm hack that's only visible by the inside ref.
Great win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
yes I meant charge but too late to edit. I disagree but I don't agree with 95% of the charges called in college so I can't be swayed, I honestly don't understand how college refs haven't had some type of symposium on what a charge/block is because in regards to high levels of basketball(college/NBA/FIBA rules) the charge in college isn't called like that at the other levels. When the NBA guys like Stan Van Gundy, Reggie Miller, Brendan Haywood, etc call college games during March Madness they're always baffled at what gets called charges in the college game.
I get it, I just have an opposite view. A defender is entitled to his space on the floor, wherever that is, and even if not stationary. If the defender moves to block the path of an offensive player, then yes, they have to "establish position" or it's a block. If an offensive player moves to initiate contact with the defensive player, that's a charge or a no call. The offensive player must avoid contact with a defender. I realize the NBA doesn't like that, because it wants guys to have largely unimpeded paths to the rim for more dunks and exciting plays. You end up with the ridiculous, like the Pels scoring 150 the other day.

Fortunately, the NBA tamps down its radically pro-offense approach in the playoffs and we get better basketball.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Moe Green was Godfather I.
Ah crap, you're right. It was part of the cleanup at the end of the movie. I was thinking of the scene with Roth talking about Moe Green in II and thought it happened in II because of the Fredo connection.

Reaction Score
Hands of Stone in boxing? Good.
Hands of Stone in basketball? Not good.

He has so many rebounds he gets his hands on and either fumbles them or gets it stripped or batted away. And then he falls to the ground.

He's an enigma...he seems to have very good hands on offense but can't grab or hold on to any rebound on defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was at last night's game, which I thought would never end. There is contact on every play that could be called a foul. The grabbing and bumping on players without the ball is much more evident in person.
The best thing about being in Gampel is seeing how much fun the students have, and the banners. The bench seats and parking, not so much. Another plus is not having to listen to Donny Marshall. What's his beef with UCONN?
Castle's defense on Carter was next level. Also, before the game in shoot around, he doesn't miss. His stroke is there, and as he gets more confidence, watch out.
Most of the bad calls were by refs, not in a position to make a call. A outside ref, can not see a ball strip or an arm hack that's only visible by the inside ref.
Great win.
Absolutely nothing. He is UConn Blue and White 1,000%
He should not be asked to do UConn games and Jay Bilas shouldn't do Duke and Walton not UCLA or UArizona etc
It puts them in a tough spot.
I don't hear the same things that people complain about when he does do UConn games but maybe it's because I know him a bit.

Reaction Score
I get it, I just have an opposite view. A defender is entitled to his space on the floor, wherever that is, and even if not stationary. If the defender moves to block the path of an offensive player, then yes, they have to "establish position" or it's a block. If an offensive player moves to initiate contact with the defensive player, that's a charge or a no call. The offensive player must avoid contact with a defender. I realize the NBA doesn't like that, because it wants guys to have largely unimpeded paths to the rim for more dunks and exciting plays. You end up with the ridiculous, like the Pels scoring 150 the other day.

Fortunately, the NBA tamps down its radically pro-offense approach in the playoffs and we get better basketball.
I'm a huge NBA fan but I've gotta be honest I'm a little sick of the game they're pushing now. I don't like the rock fight UConn v. Providence game last night or some of those late 90's Knicks v. Heat wrestling matches but it's gotten to the point in the NBA where we might as well completely do away with defense and play a game of horse. Everything right now is designed for the offensive players to have supreme ease of scoring. It's almost like some of the teams have just completely given up on even attempting to play defense. I don't understand why they won't strike a balance.

Reaction Score
Which is what I said. Roth and Green were II. Luca was I.
OK, I'm not going to derail this thread, but go back and read my post replying to someone who mentioned meeting a Luca Brasi type.

Reaction Score
#2 wasn't a foul. Somebody in chat said "he wasn't set". You don't have to be set. You're allowed to walk around the court on and if some guy comes running as fast as he can and just runs into you, that's not a foul. We see bigs with the non-illegal moving screens all the time when they just walk down the court and the guards still use that to their advantage.

It’s not his feet. It was his hands moving up to deflect the impact that can (and did) draw a whistle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm a huge NBA fan but I've gotta be honest I'm a little sick of the game they're pushing now. I don't like the rock fight UConn v. Providence game last night or some of those late 90's Knicks v. Heat wrestling matches but it's gotten to the point in the NBA where we might as well completely do away with defense and play a game of horse. Everything right now is designed for the offensive players to have supreme ease of scoring. It's almost like some of the teams have just completely given up on even attempting to play defense. I don't understand why they won't strike a balance.
You can still block shots and strip guys driving to the rim, but you essentially can't get in their way at all or it's a block. These guys are amazing defenders and if the NBA let them really play, scoring would plunge. It tightens up in the playoffs thankfully. Playoff NBA is how it should be all season long.

Reaction Score
Wow. I barely recognized that. Weird and a little concerning
Maybe he w as sick, or maybe because the game was a wrestling match, and Ball struggled against Seton Hall and Georgetown, which were the previous dirty football style games

Reaction Score
That is true. I still dislike that the Bug East seems ok with a team on the short end of a talent disparity simply fouling endlessly. We saw two quick on DC and SJ but the first half was called way too loosely. The clutching, grabbing, bumps and hand checks they let it all go. So it got worse and they had to call it.

Call the clutching, grabbing and hand checks at the outset, the players adapt and you have attractive basketball. PC can’t beat UConn in that kind of game, so we get this. Credit to Miller and McDermott. Neither coach forces these ugly basketball games like PC, St. John’s and Seton Hall do.
I bet they were cheering in NEWBIE headquarters, though. This game met all their marketing goals. It was awful basketball but they can say the 2 most important things to the marketing Dept. First, it was close and “shows every team can beat any other.” Our performances against Creighton and Xavier must have bummed them out on that score. 2nd, this is the rough, tough urban street fight. It is horrible basketball but the front office allows it and encourages games be played and refffed that way. They sure got what they wanted last night. I hope we didn’t lose one of our stars.

Reaction Score
Everyone in the first half. No one in the second half.
I think it varies from minute to minute. One play they let two players tackle each other, next play they cal a touch foul. It was so inconsistent it’s hard to tell who in benefited, but probably benefited PC because it complexly disrupted all flow to game.

They should have called it tight at start to set tone, then let some things go so stars don’t have to sit on bench with foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I bet they were cheering in NEWBIE headquarters, though. This game met all their marketing goals. It was awful basketball but they can say the 2 most important things to the marketing Dept. First, it was close and “shows every team can beat any other.” Our performances against Creighton and Xavier must have bummed them out on that score. 2nd, this is the rough, tough urban street fight. It is horrible basketball but the front office allows it and encourages games be played and refffed that way. They sure got what they wanted last night. I hope we didn’t lose one of our stars.
What is NEWBIE?

Reaction Score
Castle saved the day, when we were struggling to score with Clingan out and cold from 3 he carried the scoring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom