Providence Post Game Thread. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall is a terrible announcer. Like this game was ugly and the announcers made it even worse.

Move on with the W

I’m not sure if they were watching the game. It was a constant walk down memory lane,

Reaction Score
As Moe Green said "this is the business we have chosen".

I don’t think Moe Green said that. What a great freakin movie. A Luca clone used to visit my house when I was a kid. I was “forced” to show respect and shake his hand. He liked to squeeze my hand until I cried. I learned to hold out as I go older.

caw

Reaction Score
Only title of ours you could possibly call a fluke is 2014. The 1999 and 2004 teams were the best in the country when healthy. The 2011 team was 14-0 in tournaments, with 11 of those wins over ranked teams, and last year’s team maybe got some upsets to clear their path a little, but it was a total buzzsaw. Our hairiest moment was seeing our lead cut to 5 in the finals, before we daggered it right back up to 17.

Was 2014 a fluke? I mean, you can probably make that case. We were a 7 seed with a novice coach who found an inexplicable level of coaching mastery which we never saw again. We did catch a break to beat St. Joe’s and then got to play at the Garden, which maybe made a difference in those games (ISU losing Niang was a break too). But the best team in the country that year was Florida and UConn beat them twice, second time by double digits (after that horrific start, we outscored them by like 25). And we would have whacked Kentucky in the final except Boat and DD both went to the bench with two fouls in the first half and our lead went down from 15 to 5 at the break.

If people want to say we were lucky that year, fine (especially Louisville fans). But we had two great guards who could make plays, DD stepped up in the tourney with the best basketball of his career, and we were 43-44 from the free throw line in late game pressure situations (less than five minutes to play, lead less than 10, outcome still in doubt). Never seen anything like that in my life. So we made a lot of our own luck.

IIRC UConn, UF, UK and UL were like rock paper scissors in a lot of ways

UConn beat UF twice
UF beat UK three times
UK beat UL twice
And UL beat UConn three times

The UK UConn game was the tie breaker in many ways.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
They called two on Clingan that were absurd. There were also a handful of calls made by a ref that had no clear angle to call a foul.
Can’t remember all the Clingan fouls tbh. You could say they laid off him when he had 4 too.

That 2nd half was just horrible. We fouled each other on almost every possession.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Perfect outcome going into a tough road game this weekend. A lot to correct and a W. They can't all be 40 point blowouts. These are the games that people used to cry and complain about losing - now they cry and complain about winning them. Progress.
That is true. I still dislike that the Bug East seems ok with a team on the short end of a talent disparity simply fouling endlessly. We saw two quick on DC and SJ but the first half was called way too loosely. The clutching, grabbing, bumps and hand checks they let it all go. So it got worse and they had to call it.

Call the clutching, grabbing and hand checks at the outset, the players adapt and you have attractive basketball. PC can’t beat UConn in that kind of game, so we get this. Credit to Miller and McDermott. Neither coach forces these ugly basketball games like PC, St. John’s and Seton Hall do.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Moe Green said that. What a great freakin movie. A Luca clone used to visit my house when I was a kid. I was “forced” to show respect and shake his hand. He liked to squeeze my hand until I cried. I learned to hold out as I go older.
The "actor" who played Luca was a fill-in at a moment's notice for a Hollywood actor who flaked out. He was on the set watching when they pulled him into the movie. Who was he? He was a hitman for the Colombo crime family. Coppola was a genius because he insisted Luca's lines stay in the movie, while everyone around him was telling him the Mafia guy was maybe the worst actor in human history. It's also said that in the scene of Luca practicing lines outside the meeting with the Godfather, that was the actor ACTUALLY practicing his lines.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The first two fouls on Clingan were absolute phantom calls. He never touched anyone! I can’t believe it, I expected to click on this thread and see several pages bitching about that.
And the announcers were so oblivious! They never even mentioned that he had two fouls until the half was nearly over. Donny Marshall is so g-d annoying. Every time the whistle blows, we either get his unquestioned respect for the hard job these poor officials have to do, or we have to listen to his nostalgic philosophy on college basketball. He hardly even watches the game. Dude needs to be permanently assigned to the studio.

All of Clingan's fouls were legit. And Donny appropriately pointed out he goes for fakes too often for a player his size 2ho is materially bigger than the guy he is guarding.

Best thing about Clingan is he played the last 7+ minutes without picking up foul #5. Yes, Oduro, made some shots but he had to shoot them over Clingan who still made them tough shots.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
All of Clingan's fouls were legit. And Donny appropriately pointed out he goes for fakes too often for a player his size 2ho is materially bigger than the guy he is guarding.

Best thing about Clingan is he played the last 7+ minutes without picking up foul #5. Yes, Oduro, made some shots but he had to shoot them over Clingan who still made them tough shots.

2 fouls were BS, 2 and 4. He does leave his feet every time and swipe like he’s a kid learning how to use his side.

Clignan didn’t pick up his foul bc he had to play soft so in return Oduro feasted. Looked like an AA.

Reaction Score
That is true. I still dislike that the Bug East seems ok with a team on the short end of a talent disparity simply fouling endlessly. We saw two quick on DC and SJ but the first half was called way too loosely. The clutching, grabbing, bumps and hand checks they let it all go. So it got worse and they had to call it.
I started watching the second half of Boise State - New Mexico after our game yesterday and it was just night and day. Way more freedom of movement and when guys got caught clutching and grabbing, it was a foul. The teams both adapted and it was a MUCH better brand of basketball to watch. Clearly the Big East wants or is okay with this brand of basketball because that is how it’s pretty much always called, but it’s a really bad product way too often.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Anyone else a little worried about Karaban? Hurley said he was at “70%” and will get X-rays tomorrow. I’m no doctor.

No. But get ready for 100 posts by boneyarders doing the following:

Arguing ad nauseum whether it was a twist, strain or sprain.
Arguing whether it's a foot injury, lower leg injury, or a foot injury.
Sharing tales of the one time they rolled an ankle and what AK's recovery will be based on their personal experience.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley might be gone but this feels like the same team defensively. Grabbing, tons of contact, mucking everything up, and just daring the refs to call all the fouls. CFJ in particular had a handful of jersey through literally every screen. I don't know how PC fans can watch a full season of this.

This was actually nothing like any game we've seen this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The "actor" who played Luca was a fill-in at a moment's notice for a Hollywood actor who flaked out. He was on the set watching when they pulled him into the movie. Who was he? He was a hitman for the Colombo crime family. Coppola was a genius because he insisted Luca's lines stay in the movie, while everyone around him was telling him the Mafia guy was maybe the worst actor in human history. It's also said that in the scene of Luca practicing lines outside the meeting with the Godfather, that was the actor ACTUALLY practicing his lines.
Cool. I'd never heard this.

Wikipedia version:

The filming of The Godfather faced strong opposition from the Italian-American Civil Rights League, with disputes headed by Joe Colombo and Frank Sinatra threatening its whole production. Producer Al Ruddy eventually made a deal with the league and Joe Colombo to cut the word Mafia (which was only used once in the script) and the League would back the production of the film. This meant mobsters would be present on the set of The Godfather. In 1971, when Montana was acting as a bodyguard for a senior Colombo family member, he met Francis Ford Coppola and Al Ruddy. After being introduced to the 6'6" 320-pound Montana, they quickly cast him for the role of Luca Brasi. When Bettye McCartt, Al Ruddy's assistant, broke her watch, Montana offered to get her a new one. A week later, Montana returned with a "gift from the boys" – an antique diamond watch. He was picked for the part after the original actor playing the character died of a stroke. This was his first credited film appearance. Montana was very nervous about appearing opposite Brando. Director Coppola incorporated this real-life tension into several scenes, showing Brasi repeatedly practicing (and later fumbling) his congratulations to Corleone. Montana had little screen time in the film (although his final scene is one of the most suspenseful in the film), but his notable height and physique caught the eye of producers, and he appeared in several movies and television programs after appearing in The Godfather.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carter is a good player but he dives more than a European soccer player. He drives, causes contact(or sometimes there is no contact at all), and then throws his body sideways like he was hip checked. Refs bite on it often.
I can't stand him. He has an arrogant way about him, hence not very likeable.

Reaction Score
Was almost the Perfect Storm for a PC upset. Clingan-Johnson foul trouble/AK rolling his ankle/threes not dropping for us/Oduro controlling the paint/WWE Smackdown kind of game.

Steph growing up in front of us and FTs in second half helped tremendously.

Let's get Karaban ready for Saturday/learn from film sessions in next few days. Winning is a lot better than losing.Grab a Quad 1 road win on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Carter is a good player but he dives more than a European soccer player. He drives, causes contact(or sometimes there is no contact at all), and then throws his body sideways like he was hip checked. Refs bite on it often.

To be fair, Newton is a top-3 flopper in yhe conference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2 fouls were BS, 2 and 4. He does leave his feet every time and swipe like he’s a kid learning how to use his side.

Clignan didn’t pick up his foul bc he had to play soft so in return Oduro feasted. Looked like an AA.

You can nitpick #2. Seems like every game bigs are called for moving screens or illegal screens. Some calls are better than others but I almost expect one foul a game from Clingan and Johnson on those.

The other fouls were all because Oduro got Clingan off his feet and Clingan bringing his arms down. Three of those shots Oduro hit when he came back in against Clingan, I'll let Oduro take all game long. Kudos to him for making all of them, but I like my chances if he has to shoot like that over Clingan all game long.

Yes, Clingan played soft. Weird as it sounds, that is a skill every player needs to learn how to do when they are in foul trouble and it's more advantageous for their soft version to be on the court rather than on the bench. Knowing how to dial it back and stay on the court while in foul trouble is a learned skill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom