Providence avoids embarrassing loss to butler | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Providence avoids embarrassing loss to butler

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You’ve got a real gutsy team I give them more credit this year than pretty much anyone on this board. But you don’t have Bazz. ;-)

Reaction Score
How's it going FriarJ? It's been a while since we use to butt heads on HLoH. Newsflash, my school never left. They wouldn't let me use my HLoH name on here. No players names allowed, even if they're not current.

Reaction Score
You are in denial. But when you're a Pee Cee fan. That's the place to be.

Reaction Score
They do not have a better resume. They have a better record. I would've done a blind resume test but itd have been too obvious.

Providence:
Record: 22-3(12-2)
NET: 27

Result Based Metrics(
Obviously will be their strongest Metrics):
KPI: 8
SOR: 9

Predictive Based Metrics:
BPI: 41
KenPom: 44
SAG: 32

Quad W/L:
Quad 1: 6-2
Quad 2: 6-1
Quad 3:4-0
Quad 4: 6-0

NET SOS: 47
Non-Conf SOS: 119
RPI SOS: 70

Connecticut
Record: 19-7(10-5)
NET: 17

Result Based Metrics:
KPI: 22
SOR: 25

BPI: 18
KenPom: 18
SAG: 16

Quad Wins:
Quad 1: 5-6
Quad 3:1-0
Quad 4:7-0

NET SOS: 36
Non Conf SOS: 120
RPI SOS: 45

I mean you be the judge. We have 1 less Quad 1 win, but have played 3 more quad one games. But they have 3 more Quad 3 games. Lets play a game and take 3 of our Q1 losses and substitute them with an assumptive 3 Q3 wins. That puts our record as 25-4. Which is why the predictive Metrics favor us in a very substantial way over PC. The W-L record is deceptive when deciding who has the better resume.
I understand the numbers but all this is never really fair to me. Especially when I think of some good mid majors that play in conferences that bring down their ratings. But back to the BE, Providence beat better top teams and our wins came against top teams missing key players. Some of our losses came against teams missing key players. So let's just beat Nova at home and this conversation would not really exist

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You’ve got a real gutsy team I give them more credit this year than pretty much anyone on this board. But you don’t have Bazz. ;-)
Personally I am a firm believer in "you are what your record says you are" and I give them a ton of credit for what they've accomplished to date this season.

That said, to shine a little perspective (due to to 2014 end of a run comment the PC fan made), we view our results 2014-2015 season to now as unacceptable yet we have won as many tournament games as they have in that stretch.

Reaction Score
They do not have a better resume. They have a better record. I would've done a blind resume test but itd have been too obvious.

Providence:
Record: 22-3(12-2)
NET: 27

Result Based Metrics(
Obviously will be their strongest Metrics):
KPI: 8
SOR: 9

BPI: 41
KenPom: 44
SAG: 32

Quad W/L:
Quad 1: 6-2
Quad 3:4-0
Quad 4: 6-0

NET SOS: 47
Non-Conf SOS: 119
RPI SOS: 70

Connecticut
Record: 19-7(10-5)
NET: 17

Result Based Metrics:
KPI: 22
SOR: 25

BPI: 18
KenPom: 18
SAG: 16

Quad Wins:
Quad 1: 5-6
Quad 3:1-0
Quad 4:7-0

NET SOS: 36
Non Conf SOS: 120
RPI SOS: 45

I mean you be the judge. We have 1 less Quad 1 win, but have played 3 more quad one games. But they have 3 more Quad 3 games. Lets play a game and take 3 of our Q1 losses and substitute them with an assumptive 3 Q3 wins. That puts our record as 25-4. Which is why the predictive Metrics favor us in a very substantial way over PC. The W-L record is deceptive when deciding who has the better resume.
Results-Based Metrics tend to be the end-all-be-all when comparing resumes. Then you flipped over to saying "hypothetically speaking if we played 3 less Q1 games and made them Q3," that's when you deflated your argument. It's alright, the Friars aren't going to hurt you anymore.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone here, or the majority of us are calling you lucky. I think you’re being defensive and taking it that way. No one believes in you. It’s ok, take it from UConn fans, those are the times where winning is the sweetest. Win when it matters and shut all of us up. The famous poet Mick Cronin once said, “winners are made in march”.

Reaction Score
Not when that’s not an equal trade off lol. Now maybe if you guys were without Nate Watson youd have a point
Bynum is the only player in the BE to win POW in back to back weeks lol. He's not exactly Jalen Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Personally I am a firm believer in "you are what your record says you are" and I give them a ton of credit for what they've accomplished to date this season.

That said, to shine a little perspective (due to to 2014 end of a run comment the PC fan made), we view our results 2014-2015 season to now as unacceptable yet we have won as many tournament games as they have in that stretch.
If you fill out your bracket with that mindset instead of looking for context, you’d pick the dominant mid major every season

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you fill out your bracket with that mindset instead of looking for context, you’d pick the dominant mid major every season
The context that I'm using is that they play in the same conference as we do.

Do I believe that they are a better team than we are? No, not at all. They have however been able to avoid a few of the missteps that we stumbled on. You can determine your own way of measuring objectivity and fairness.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If we played the type of game PC just played against Butler, we’d rightfullly be very concerned about our prospects come March. PC fans, on the other hand, are on opposing boards thumping their chests.

The difference of course is that we know what it takes to win in March and they clearly do not.

Reaction Score
Butler is not that bad. They beat bubble team Oklahoma on the road. The Big East (with the exception of Georgetown) is strong top to bottom. I make the case that if St. John’s, Butler, and DePaul played in the ACC or Pac-12, they might be tourney teams.
Any one of those 3 teams would be tops in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I completely missed whatever it was.

[shrugs]

CL82

Reaction Score
Ahhh, well…

CL82

Reaction Score
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Orc

Reaction Score
You are in denial. But when you're a Pee Cee fan. That's the place to be.

A lot of smack talking from a school that hasn’t won anything. Whats the score ? Is it 4>1?
Oh wait thats cuse

Reaction Score
There are plenty on here giving PC credit for a good season. I think many are just skeptical of what is going to happen in March given the past 25 years or so. You guys have experience, play well in close games, and I loved the way you fought against Nova. You guys certainly have some of the ingredients needed to start changing peoples perspective. As far as the lifting up/tearing down thing...I got a chuckle out of that one. Never met a PC fan "lifting up" UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom