Pros & Cons to Danny riding the refs. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pros & Cons to Danny riding the refs.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of poker playin' among BE coaches working the refs. Coaches know how to tweak Danny. They work the refs to their benefit so that Dan gets the T's or gets calls against him.The sooner he learns how to play poker the better. The more calls his guys are going to get.Pitino wrote the book.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not that's how it works.
I hope then that the crew the other night that said they didn’t see how Karaban got gashed open won’t be doing the tournament. Maybe they thought he pulled a Mick Foley WWE move and cut himself open? Lol

Reaction Score
I think Hurley believes that the coach, and not the players, should be the voice of the team in dialogue with refs. I notice that our players very rarely pursue or argue with refs about individual calls. They’re not stoic- they react, they’ll throw their arms up after a no call or make a face, but overall, they have an almost professional air about the game.

The flip side of this is that Hurley ends up absolutely dogging the refs about every single thing. I swear he pursues a ref for discussion during every single timeout. And I agree with what others have said - I think some refs think it’s OTT and therefore tune him out.

Coaches who are most successful in “working” refs often find a handful of things that are truly impacting their team (I.e. they’re holding us on screens/ restricting freedom of movement, player X is pushing off everytime he initiates a move in the post, watch the 3 seconds cuz the center is parked in the paint the whole possession… etc.) and they point those specific gripes out to the refs. Those are the things you often see actually getting called after ref/coach discussions - aka, coach has successfully worked the ref. If Hurley has a problem with EVERYTHING… well they aren’t going to change the way they call the entire game to appease him, and some refs even seem to take it personally which can lead to us battling the officiating as well as the opponent.

I like that Hurley is all about defending his players during gametime. Players love when they know coach has their back. It’s probably just a matter of finding focal points and hammering those, rather than losing his mind over every individual call. Find the sweet spot between defending your kids and acting like a total nut job for 100% of the game.

But don’t lose ALL the psycho… a little bit of that Hurley spice is part of the UConn experience now

Reaction Score
I hope then that the crew the other night that said they didn’t see how Karaban got gashed open won’t be doing the tournament. Maybe they thought he pulled a Mick Foley WWE move and cut himself open? Lol
O.K. admit you stole that from Hurley. :)

“I got an explanation and it was that they’re not sure why he was bleeding, I don’t know, it was like a phantom… Maybe it was like wrestling back in the day where they cut themselves with a razor, Dusty Rhodes or (something),” UConn head coach Dan Hurley said after the game.

Reaction Score
Bringing Pitino into this only happened after the ending of their game against Creighton earlier today. Anyone see that last sequence? I think Pitino has proven to be a lowlife as a person also, but... Sorry, they got screwed. Dingle obviously got fouled on that last shot and should have been going to the line for 2 shots. What the hell were those refs looking at, exactly?

Seriously? The refs just handed Creighton the game there. So, it doesn't just happen to us.

Reaction Score
Bringing Pitino into this only happened after the ending of their game against Creighton earlier today. Anyone see that last sequence? I think Pitino has proven to be a lowlife as a person also, but... Sorry, they got screwed. Dingle obviously got fouled on that last shot and should have been going to the line for 2 shots. What the hell were those refs looking at, exactly?

Seriously? The refs just handed Creighton the game there. So, it doesn't just happen to us.

Do I think this gets called if there’s anything more than a few seconds on the clock… yes

Do I get annoyed at “time dependent” foul calls? Yes, a foul is a foul

Is this consistent with how refs (unfortunately) always call games? Yes. So overall, I’m not outraged

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pitino talking about "cheating" is rich.
Well, he said it would sound berserk. He even used the word "absolutely."
He's clearly trying to get into Hurley's head.
He clearly lost to Hurley, in part because Hurley adjusted for the second half and outworked Pitino with the refs. Pitino's handshake showed he was angered by this. Let him whine, but beat him.

Not quite as clearly, he lost to McDermott, but it still counts.

Reaction Score
O.K. admit you stole that from Hurley. :)

“I got an explanation and it was that they’re not sure why he was bleeding, I don’t know, it was like a phantom… Maybe it was like wrestling back in the day where they cut themselves with a razor, Dusty Rhodes or (something),” UConn head coach Dan Hurley said after the game.

I swear to God I didn’t hahaha. Really. That makes me admire Hurley even more, especially with a Dusty Rhodes reference!

Reaction Score
Rather his demeanor with the refs than KO if I had a choice. I liked KO but he let them get away with murder in games without hardly a complaint. Having said that Dan isn’t liked by the refs because of his incessant whining. He was on them at Xavier the other night hard and the call was a 50/50 leave those alone please. JC was an intimidator not a whiner. He picked his spots, knew when his team needed him to assure the advantage ended. Dan could learn from JC.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I love how animated and engaged he is - way better than 90% of the coaches who just stand by the sideline the whole time, arms folded, observing.

And it does work, in a game earlier this year he kept haranguing the refs about the calls and it did affect the calls favorably.

He’s not the only coach now, or in the past, like this either.

Reaction Score
Interesting comments from Pitino. Trying to butter up the refs going forward?

Referees have to do their job, they’ve got to call it as they see it,” he said. “We haven’t had the best whistle this year, but sometimes when you’re building and you don’t have a rep, I think those three officials [James Breeding, Nathan Farrell and Brent Hampton] are very good.

Reaction Score
I've liked Hurley from the beginning. Loved the hire when it was made, and never doubted him last year when many of you did.

Having said that, his behavior with refs is childish, inexcusable, and embarrassing. He's just constantly complaining and berating them all the time every game. WORKING the refs? What a joke. Complaining about or questioning calls is part of the game and necessary. His antics are constantly trying to show them up. Refs are human beings. No human being wants anyone to treat them like that. I'm amazed that the refs keep their cool and don't punish him more than they do (and they rightfully do).

Do any of you know any coach that treats refs worse than Hurley does? Winning doesn't make treating people like crap right.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
IMG_3832.gif

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Rather his demeanor with the refs than KO if I had a choice. I liked KO but he let them get away with murder in games without hardly a complaint. Having said that Dan isn’t liked by the refs because of his incessant whining. He was on them at Xavier the other night hard and the call was a 50/50 leave those alone please. JC was an intimidator not a whiner. He picked his spots, knew when his team needed him to assure the advantage ended. Dan could learn from JC.
Yeah there’s definitely a difference. He nearly blew a gasket on the call when Karaban fouled the 3 point shooter. Can’t ride them for every single thing.

During the tournament he actually did a good job of genuinely working them while being friendly. But he’s been back to going ape on every little call.

Calhoun was actually friends with the refs and can laugh it up with them during games until he felt the need to reasonably get on them. Hell sometimes he might get kicked out of a game just to get his team fired up. There was definitely more purpose to it.

He probably yelled at his own players more than the refs. Something I definitely don’t think is the case with Hurley.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If he gets on the refs when they're wrong and keeps it respectful it could result in a makeup call or at least more attentive officiating going forward. If he gets nasty it will likely come back to bite us.

caw

Reaction Score
Pitino's comments about Hurley are pretty interesting (and they are about Hurley). If I were to guess it is actually geared more towards the fans. First, he implies (truthfully) that SJU wants to play UConn not at MSG basically because their fans won't own that venue. This is trying to get the fans to come and pack the Garden when SJU and UConn play next. Second he has seen Hurley interacting with the crowd and now he is basically telling his fans to get to Hurley because he won't. A little nod to the refs also in an attempt to influence them, basically saying, "Even if I complain, I won't be jumping around acting crazy and if I do it's because the call was particularly bad."

Reaction Score
Danny goes over the top for many calls that aren't that bad and is surprised when no one listens after actual bad calls. He also makes it weirdly personal compared to most other animated coaches. So the refs just don't listen to him any more. You can see it in real time... they do not care what he has to say. Overtly ignore him.

What we're seeing is a result of Hurley's actions. When you treat people like crap, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt when you plead for a review or something. He's not going to see a change in how refs react to him after 1 or 2 blow out games keeping his cool like some people think. It isn't about the chip or how many games we've won. They simply don't like Hurley. Some more than others, but it's clear as day.

That being said, I hate the zebras and thrive on the animosity. I'm all for it. Love it, in fact. Our coach is a psycho and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just think it's funny when folks act surprised the ref won't talk to our coach or we get some questionable calls against hs.
Wow - that’s a strange take. The officiating was terrible and that’s not Danny Hurley’s fault. The bias is very unprofessional and a disgrace to a league.

Reaction Score

Officiating in the Big East is at the crisis level and the league has a commissioner who is totally in over her head. The whole situation is a disgrace.

Reaction Score
but the issue is much bigger than a play here or there, it's the entire team getting screwed over on a nightly basis with the absurd disparity in FT shooting. i dont care if the refs dot like hurley but i do care that they are taking it out on the players
Bingo. Unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I've liked Hurley from the beginning. Loved the hire when it was made, and never doubted him last year when many of you did.

Having said that, his behavior with refs is childish, inexcusable, and embarrassing. He's just constantly complaining and berating them all the time every game. WORKING the refs? What a joke. Complaining about or questioning calls is part of the game and necessary. His antics are constantly trying to show them up. Refs are human beings. No human being wants anyone to treat them like that. I'm amazed that the refs keep their cool and don't punish him more than they do (and they rightfully do).

Do any of you know any coach that treats refs worse than Hurley does? Winning doesn't make treating people like crap right.
Andrea?

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
At some point I would hope the AD starts talking to the commissioner/head of officiating.

Our AD was tweeting about UConn trying to break into the power 5 all summer. Something tells me theirs no love lost for him either

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Almost all these refs do multiple games a week, ref games in other conferences, and when conferences play other conferences.

So, they know how to call games differently.

How they call BE games, specifically UConn games, is a choice.

Reaction Score
I loved watching the GOAT work the sidelines, I hated watching sad puppy eyes, always wanted him to say something. Now I love Hurley during the games

I don't care what the refs like or not. I don't like them much either

Don't take any chit Danny, dish it my man. Whatever works for you
I hated sad puppy eyes too. Looked like a little kid who had his lunch stolen all the time. Whiny face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom