Projected Starting Line Up | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Please, link me where he says that for next year?
The article was posted here earlier in the month, can’t find it on my Google search but did find this.

“Head coach Dan Hurley may be most comfortable returning Diarra to the sixth man role, where he thrived last season.”

Reaction Score
The article was posted here earlier in the month, can’t find it on my Google search but did find this.

“Head coach Dan Hurley may be most comfortable returning Diarra to the sixth man role, where he thrived last season.”

I don't think that means he doesn't start. I think it makes sense at least at the beginning of the season for Diarra to start and Nowell to come off the bench. Nowell has already said he will do whatever it takes including coming off the bench. Maybe if Nowell proves to be too good you could see their roles switched but I think it will be Diarra at least to start the season as starting PG. Him and Mahaney would be a great starting backcourt as both can penetrate and shoot the rock.

Reaction Score
If AK returns he starts. If not he is replaced by McNeeley.

Johnson
AK
Stewart
Hass
Ball

Hmm maybe early in the OOC schedule for seniority but not for long. You might be right but not a fan of not starting your best just because they haven’t been there as long.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I found this thread highly amusing last year., and that was with three absolutely dead-certain starters - Clingan, Karaban and Newton - and a fourth almost as likely, Castle.

This year the entertainment value is off the charts. Between Ball, Stewart, McNeely, Abraham, and Nowell I am certain that no one here knows exactly what they’ll show the coaches this fall in running the very complex offense, knowledge and ability on defense, rebounding ability, iso ability at the high D1 level. fit with the other players, etc. Mahoney and Diarra are much more known quantitie. Johnson and Reed will complement each other, and I wouldn’t be shocked if both get 20 absent foul trouble. Ross could surprise and make a huge jump in playability … or he could wilt under the competition. Flip a coin.

Speculating on who starts and how many minutes they’ll get at this point is futile. I trust the coaches. And I trust the play to fight to arm those minutes.

Here’s what I do know. This team oozes talent and brings back NC experience, with answers at every position. I’ll run with that.

Reaction Score
I found this thread highly amusing last year., and that was with three absolutely dead-certain starters - Clingan, Karaban and Newton - and a fourth almost as likely, Castle.

This year the entertainment value is off the charts. Between Ball, Stewart, McNeely, Abraham, and Nowell I am certain that no one here knows exactly what they’ll show the coaches this fall in running the very complex offense, knowledge and ability on defense, rebounding ability, iso ability at the high D1 level. fit with the other players, etc. Mahoney and Diarra are much more known quantitie. Johnson and Reed will complement each other, and I wouldn’t be shocked if both get 20 absent foul trouble. Ross could surprise and make a huge jump in playability … or he could wilt under the competition. Flip a coin.

Speculating on who starts and how many minutes they’ll get at this point is futile. I trust the coaches. And I trust the play to fight to arm those minutes.

Here’s what I do know. This team oozes talent and brings back NC experience, with answers at every position. I’ll run with that.
Nailed.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think that means he doesn't start. I think it makes sense at least at the beginning of the season for Diarra to start and Nowell to come off the bench. Nowell has already said he will do whatever it takes including coming off the bench. Maybe if Nowell proves to be too good you could see their roles switched but I think it will be Diarra at least to start the season as starting PG. Him and Mahaney would be a great starting backcourt as both can penetrate and shoot the rock.
Fair. Im still seeing a AJ Price, Craig Austrie, Kemba Walker kind of rotation with Ball, Diarra, and Nowell personally.

Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury
Not sure Reed will get the nod over Sampson. Reed is still a project but I'm sure he'll be better then last hear as a Husky

Reaction Score
Knowing the system and embracing it is the key for the new commers. Experience counts and gives an edge in the early games to our holdovers. I love the choices this brings to the team and impressive growth potential during the season. We are contenders on paper with serious competition at all positions. Our coaching team is intact. Really looking forward to another great season.

Reaction Score
I think Diarra starts based on being the only guard left from two championship seasons and Hurley needs him just for continuity. Especially if AK doesn’t come back. I don’t think the coaching staff wants to start off with an entirely new starting five.
If ak does not come it will be a new starting 5?

Reaction Score
Obviously if AK is back, he starts. I think McNeely and Stewart Start as well. Can McNeely handle the ball well enough? I dk.

Think Hurley still needs to give starting roles to the 5 Star to start the year.

Mahaney
McNeely
Karaban
Stewart
Johnson

I also think the top 9 are just going to rotate minutes like crazy

Reaction Score
I also posted this in another thread, but it also belongs here:

I'm actually disappointed at our progress so far.

Assuming a roster size of 11 players, there could be 462 possible starting lineups. If we get to 12, it balloons to 792 possible starting lineups.

We can do better, Boneyarders!!!

Let me add one to the mix:

Nowell
Diarra
Ross
Abraham
Singare

Reaction Score
Obviously if AK is back, he starts. I think McNeely and Stewart Start as well. Can McNeely handle the ball well enough? I dk.

Think Hurley still needs to give starting roles to the 5 Star to start the year.

Mahaney
McNeely
Karaban
Stewart
Johnson

I’m not sure what the starting lineup will be but I’m 100% sure it will include one of our PGs.

Reaction Score

Mahaney
McNeely
Karaban
Stewart
Johnson

Usually starting lineups include a point guard. Reigning 6MOY or a 5* freshman to the front of the huddle.

Reaction Score
we all need to agree on 5 simple concepts:

1) starting 1 is either diarra or nowell
2) starting 2 is either mahaney or ball
3) starting 3 is either mcneeley or stew or ball
4) starting 4 is either karaban or stew
5) starting 5 is either reed or johnson

period. the end. based on our personnel, this is the broadest possible extent of the debate in terms of who starts. anything else is silly talk.

Reaction Score
To start the year I think it’s
Diarra
Mahaney
Stewart
Karaban
Johnson

By tournament time
Nowell
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

However Alex and Aidan are my only sure bets to finish the season in the starting lineup. Practice Is going to be intense with Diarra / Nowell, Stewart / McNeeley, and Johnson/ Reed battling to start.
lf Alex does not return both J-Stew and Liam should start.

Reaction Score
Obviously a big piece of all starting lineups is if AK is coming back. If he does that would he knock Stewart or McNeely to the bench? I kind of see it hard to keep McNeely out of the starting lineup with his skills but then that means Stewart is a backup probably at both the PF and SF. Now if Karaban doesn't come back and we don't get a stretch 4 who can play now(which might be hard) and more of a developmental player then both Abraham and Ross could see time with the open minutes. End of May will sure be interesting with Karaban's decision.

rgw

Reaction Score
Now that Mahaney is in the fold and assuming AK comes back, what is our starting line up, what about rotations, due we play with AK, Stewart, McNeely as the front court just trying to think through how this roster will be molded when it comes to playing time.

I don’t think you get a recruit like McNeeley and do not start him. So here is my first pass at the starting lineup and perhaps the first few off the bench. I am focused on rebounding because I just don’t see us getting the same type of production from our current backcourt than we did with Tristen and Cam.

Starting five with potential depth chart.
Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart/Ross
Karaban/Abraham/Stewart
Johnson/Reed Jr

First man off bench:
Mahaney or Stewart.

Reed Jr when Samson gets in foul trouble.

I could also see us using a front court of Karaban, McNeeley and Stewart.

If AK comes back their practices will be harder than 80% of the games they will play in. Steel will sharpen steel this group has three maybe four players who will play in the NBA, IMO.
I believe Alex is coming back and will have shooters in every position

Mahneney at the one
McNeely at the 2
Stewart at the 3
Karaban at the 4
Reed at the 5

I also believe there will be lots of substitutions. McNeely will get many minutes at the 3. Solo and Daria will both play close to 20 minutes per game. I do not expect lots of minutes for Newel or Abraham perhaps close to what Stewart did this year. Ross if he puts on some weight and shoots well can also get some meaningful minutes

If Alex does not come back McNeely and Stewart will be the forwards and Solo starts

With all this depth I expect more pressure everywhere on defense and we will push the ball on offense even more than this past season looking for open 3’s in transition

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ross or Abraham. But you already have Ball at 20 minutes so those minutes will actually be going to Nowell
That was my thought as well. If you assume the starting lineup I posted there, I'm not sure it makes sense to bring 3 guards off the bench, and no forwards. You can platoon Karaban and Stewart at the 4 throughout the game to make rotating all those guards work better, but you might run into the 'problem' of Stewart and Karaban being our best players and wanting to keep them both on the floor as much as possible.

I'm also of the opinion McNeeley is much more of a guard than a forward, but he could probably spot minutes at the 4 against small teams.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wasn't Newton a combo at ECU? I don't know if Dan views Mahaney with the same PG potential he saw in Newton, but haven't we learned he can turn a high bbiq guard like Mahaney into a full time PG already?

I still think Diarrac starts to begin the season, but I also think the people shutting down the idea should at least remain open to the possibility, especially cause it opens up minutes for Ball at the 2.

Reaction Score
we all need to agree on 5 simple concepts:

1) starting 1 is either diarra or nowell
2) starting 2 is either mahaney or ball
3) starting 3 is either mcneeley or stew or ball
4) starting 4 is either karaban or stew
5) starting 5 is either reed or johnson

period. the end. based on our personnel, this is the broadest possible extent of the debate in terms of who starts. anything else is silly talk.
No we don't.

Reaction Score
No we don't.
Which do you disagree with? Mahaney at PG? I don’t think he’s much more of a PG than Cam was.

He only averaged 2.6apg last year which is half of what Mariciulonis averaged 5.3.

You were advocating for Mahaney because we needed a third ball handler which I agreed with but I didn’t know you wanted the other two ball handlers on the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which do you disagree with? Mahaney at PG? I don’t think he’s much more of a PG than Cam was. You were advocating for Mahaney because we needed a third ball handler which I agreed with but I didn’t know you wanted the other two ball handlers on the bench.
I'm looking forward to who Dan and the staff like after the first June summer session. As he said in the media session today. We're young but we have a lot of talent top to bottom in the roster.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I believe Alex is coming back and will have shooters in every position

Mahneney at the one
McNeely at the 2
Stewart at the 3
Karaban at the 4
Reed at the 5

I also believe there will be lots of substitutions. McNeely will get many minutes at the 3. Solo and Daria will both play close to 20 minutes per game. I do not expect lots of minutes for Newel or Abraham perhaps close to what Stewart did this year. Ross if he puts on some weight and shoots well can also get some meaningful minutes

If Alex does not come back McNeely and Stewart will be the forwards and Solo starts

With all this depth I expect more pressure everywhere on defense and we will push the ball on offense even more than this past season looking for open 3’s in transition
I need to see more from Stewart before I call him a shooter. 31% in college, 34% in HS…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom