Projected Starting Line Up | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Now that Mahaney is in the fold and assuming AK comes back, what is our starting line up, what about rotations, due we play with AK, Stewart, McNeely as the front court just trying to think through how this roster will be molded when it comes to playing time.

I don’t think you get a recruit like McNeeley and do not start him. So here is my first pass at the starting lineup and perhaps the first few off the bench. I am focused on rebounding because I just don’t see us getting the same type of production from our current backcourt than we did with Tristen and Cam.

Starting five with potential depth chart.
Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart/Ross
Karaban/Abraham/Stewart
Johnson/Reed Jr

First man off bench:
Mahaney or Stewart.

Reed Jr when Samson gets in foul trouble.

I could also see us using a front court of Karaban, McNeeley and Stewart.

If AK comes back their practices will be harder than 80% of the games they will play in. Steel will sharpen steel this group has three maybe four players who will play in the NBA, IMO.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
My prediction as well
I think Reed Jr starting is probably better than my choice of Samson because he is a much better rebounder. I see Mahaney as an off the bench offensive infusion if the team comes out flat. But there are so many options. Honestly I was kind of going with the loyalty thing meaning a few points if the competition is close. But in the end Hurley will be Hurley and if the player is on the floor they earned it in practice.

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Mahaney 25 / Ball 15
McNeeley 25 / Stewart 10 / Ball 5
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Bench: Ross / Abraham / Singare

30: Karaban
25: Diarra / Mahaney / McNeeley
20: Ball / Stew / Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell

Reaction Score
If Alex comes back:
Diarra/Nowell
Mahaney/Ball
Stewart/McNeeley
Karaban/McNeeley
Reed/Johnson

If Alex leaves:
Diarra/Nowell
Mahaney/Ball
Stewart/Ross
McNeeley/Abraham
Reed/Johnson

*As good as McNeeley is, if Stewart takes the jump we all expect I can't see him edging him out to start if Karaban returns. He will be the 6th man getting major minutes.

*Mahaney is going to be a veteran player this season with a ton of starts under his belt, would be surprised if Solo gets the nod over him unless he makes a MASSIVE jump this offseason

*I think Reed starts over Samson because he's a much better all around offensive player and rebounder + he doesn't foul nearly as much as Samson. They will probably get similar minutes though.

Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury
I have to disagree on Reed. I think it is Samson's job to lose and he will start the yaer at Center stronger and with better footwork on defense so he doesn't have to grab as much. Obviously if he hasn't progressed as much we will see Reed starting once we get to conference play. I also don't agree on automatically having McNeely ahead of Stewart until he proves himself and I feel from what we saw that Stewart is going to go up a level in his game.

Reaction Score
I don't think Karaban is coming back. Teams will fall in love. He's going to essentially be forced to declare.

Starting the year:

Diarra 20 / Mahaney 10 / Nowell 10
Mahaney 20 / Ball 20
McNeeley 20 / Ross 15 / Ball 5
Stewart 25 / McNeeley 5 / Abraham 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Ending the year

Diarra 28 / Mahaney 12
Mahaney 20 / Ball 20
McNeeley 22 / Ball 8 / Ross 10
Stewart 30 / McNeeley 10
Reed 25 / Johnson 15

Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury
Agree with this and think the 2 and 5 spots will be absolute dog fights for that starting spot. Could easily see Samson or Solo winning the day one nod.

Reaction Score
If Trilly is to be believed my guess is

Diarra
Mahaney
Stewart
Karaban
Johnson

If he's wrong my guess is:

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Stewart
Johnson

Reaction Score
Since trilly said Alex is probably coming back, i'll work under that assumption for now.

Diarra(25)-Nowell(15)
Mahaney(30)-Ball(10)
Stewart(25)-McNeeley(15)
Karaban(30)-McNeeley(10)
Johnson(20)-Reed(20)
I’m sure this will only be a break glass in case of emergency thing, but I love me some small ball in stretches.

Diarra
Ball/Mahaney
McNeeley
Stewart
Karaban

Reaction Score
Karaban has to be coming back.... for sure. Hurley wouldn't ride into the season with 11 schollies. It's almost May 1st. I think Hurley and Karaban agreed on him getting a draft assessment so that he knows where his draft stock is at the moment. Much like Tristan did last year. Get the info you need from the scouts then utilize it to improve on your draft stock next year.

Reaction Score
Alex probably the only penciled in starter. 1, 2, 3, and 5 will go to whoever develops and defends.

I agree with this. Four positions will be up for grabs. Let them earn time based on practice. The early season edge will likely go to the returning players from last year.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban and McNeeley start. Karaban being a lock, and McNeeley too talented to not start. Every other position is going to be a war, may the best man win. Practices are gonna be brutal.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Four positions will be up for grabs. Let them earn time based on practice. The early season edge will likely go to the returning players from last year.
Yet again, another year where practices are tougher than most games. If Alex comes back, the bench will be young but possibly the fourth or fifth best team in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Starters…Mahaney, Ball, Stewart, Karaban, Johnson

Diarra the main guard off the bench, McNeeley the main wing off the bench, Reed the main big off the bench

Spot minutes for Nowell, Ross, Abraham

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom