Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I love me some upsets, but Round 2 will be a challenge, what with only one day to recover. For example, Princeton played mostly 5 players all game... Come second half, rubber legs could arrive.
Indiana played six for the most part. Holmes was in foul trouble, so only played about 20 minutes, though, and she could be the difference.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What I didn't know was how fiery a coach Carla is. I've watched a lot of the games she played in at UConn and she always seemed the steady, stoic, get it done type of player. Similar to Caroline Ducharme in that manner. It just goes to show you that people are emotionally layered (the term is palimpsestic), and when it comes to human nature, you can't know what you don't know. She's always been my pick for UConn's next coach, and nothing she's done to this point changes that.
Geno has used the Carla/Caroline comparison. I think they’re both from the same neck of the woods. Stoic New Englanders, ayuh

Reaction Score
Great win by Princeton, congrats to some very talented, and extremely intelligent young ladies. Berube did a masterful job coaching. On a side note, I always thought Howard was a very good player, but IMHO, not worthy of a 3x All American. She often didn't show up when it counted.
A 3 time all American should be a great WNBA player, and nothing about Howard shows she will be.
Just shows the lack of great players in college. Stewie was and A'ja was, the others have been ok , but not special.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Berube can coach and A. Meyers can play. Hope Geno reaches out to her if she is in transfer portal
Why would you want a player who was ranked #54 on HoopGurlz? ;):rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A 3 time all American should be a great WNBA player, and nothing about Howard shows she will be.
Just shows the lack of great players in college. Stewie was and A'ja was, the others have been ok , but not special.
Some great college players aren’t great pros and vice versa.

Reaction Score
Tennessee sure got their wish when the shorter Belmont team outlasted Oregon. They will be playing a team that is coming off a double overtime game. Hopefully Belmont is fully recovered and makes a few more of those lucky shots in their next game. Go Belmont.

Reaction Score
Great press conference from Berube, Meyers and Chen. So enjoyable hearing Berube talk about what this means not just for her team, after having their entire season canceled last year, but for Princeton and for al the mid-majors with the success they're having this tournament.

On the losing side, interesting responses from Howard and Edwards (at 27:00):

Q: "Being conference champions yourself, how does playing the Ivy League champions Princeton compare to other top teams in the nation like South Carolina, LSU and Tennessee that you play pretty often?"​
Edwards: "Um ... I mean ..." [looks to Howard]​
Howard: "Credit to Princeton, but I mean, we've played better teams and come out on top, so ..."​
Edwards: "Yeah, I mean I think the SEC is the top conference in women's basketball, so that's pretty much all I gotta say."​

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything speci
Great press conference from Berube, Meyers and Chen. So enjoyable hearing Berube talk about what this means not just for her team, after having their entire season canceled last year, but for Princeton and for al the mid-majors with the success they're having this tournament.

Q: "Being conference champions yourself, how does playing the Ivy League champions Princeton compare to other top teams in the nation like South Carolina, LSU and Tennessee that you play pretty often?"​
Howard: "Credit to Princeton, but I mean, we've played better teams and come out on top, so ..."​
Edwards: "Yeah, I mean I think the SEC is the top conference in women's basketball, so that's pretty much all I gotta say."​

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything special".

:rolleyes:
I believe the sting of this loss was very painful, so their minds and thoughts were cloudy. Anyway, it’s also nice to be respectful of others, even in defeat.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything special".

Unbelievably classless and perfectly displaying the SEC arrogance that set them up for failure.

Reaction Score

Not really surprising.

Reaction Score
Geno has used the Carla/Caroline comparison. I think they’re both from the same neck of the woods. Stoic New Englanders, ayuh
Carla played at Oxford high MA, the next town over from me. Her team won the 92 & 93 state championships but lost to Lobo s team in 91 semifinal game if I remember correctly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have to chuckle at SEC back markers. It's all about the SEC to them, not their team. Makes me recall the bowl game in Birmingham, it was all "S-E-C!" from the S. Carolina folks; not U-S-C!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The over-rating, at least for this year, of some of the P5 conferences extends to the Men's tournament - yesterday the Big Ten was 1-4. (Parenthetically, rats that Wisconsin lost :()

As to tonight's WBB games, the odds makers have both UConn & NC State favored by 16.5 - the largest margins out there. Tennessee is now favored over Belmont by 9.5 which is a change from earlier when the odds had them up by 3.5.

Reaction Score
The over-rating, at least for this year, of some of the P5 conferences extends to the Men's tournament - yesterday the Big Ten was 1-4. (Parenthetically, rats that Wisconsin lost :()

As to tonight's WBB games, the odds makers have both UConn & NC State favored by 16.5 - the largest margins out there. Tennessee is now favored over Belmont by 9.5 which is a change from earlier when the odds had them up by 3.5.
The over/under of 110 total points is very low for tonight's game. With a 16 point spread, the projection would be a 63- 47 final score.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The over/under of 110 total points is very low for tonight's game. With a 16 point spread, the projection would be a 63- 47 final score.
I’m going to round up and call it 64-47!

But in my heart, and my head, I think the over/under is too low. I think 125 is more likely.

We’ll know soon enough.

Reaction Score
The O/U for UConn's game is currently 132.

Reaction Score
The O/U for UConn's game is currently 132.
Where did you find that? I'll definitely take the under.
I have an account with two Vegas Betting sites & they both have the over/under at 110. Massey has it at 109.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom