Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I believe that the NCAA Tournament committee just had their rear ends handed to them. It seems like the P5 Conferences isn't as powerful as the committee believed they were. I still think that the most number of teams any conference should get into the dance is 6, the AQ and 5 at large. There are a lot of good teams left out every year.
Can you say parity?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Don't look now, but there’s an upset brewing in the LSU/Jackson St. game. JS is up 66-62 with 7 minutes left. Things are very chippy in that game. LSU is a 3 seed.
I know, but the officials made a bad call on JSt that ended up fouling out their center. The center from LSU traveled (shuffled her feet) before the BS call was made. UConn gets called almost every time when they do it but LSU seems to have gotten away with more than once.

Reaction Score
Princeton methodically took it to Kentucky. Wow!!!

Is it possible they could play UConn?

That might be a scouting game for Abbie Meyers that some here have advocated.

Carla is UConn, right? So, this is OK to give her a little thread.
I was confident Princeton had a chance against KY--they run a methodical offense and KY is very undisciplined. We had a lot of BY-ers worrying about KY in the Bridgeport Regional. Except for SC, the SEC has shown its overinflated image. The SEC teams are dropping like flies, and LSU should have lost to Jackson State.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know, but the officials made a bad call on JSt that ended up fouling out their center. The center from LSU traveled (shuffled her feet) before the BS call was made. UConn gets called almost every time when they do it but LSU seems to have gotten away with more than once.
Serg, I was wrong!! I said that the tournament begins in ernest next week. For the lower-seeded teams that were upset, the tournament began Friday. Jackson State put a real scare in LSU before losing. 12 Belmont is in OT with 5 Oregon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Howard had a basically mediocre game (for 1st team AA) and when the game was on the line, tried to be a facilitator forcing it to Edwards too much imho. Best contribution in the last 5 minutes of the 4th Q was her jumping to free a wedgie ball off the rim. :rolleyes:
Howard, and to some extent the UK team, acted like they were playing against the refs rather than Princeton in the second half.

Carla learned a lot from Geno. There were times when Princeton was running sets exactly like UConn's. To the extent that, to me, they looked a lot like UConn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Serg, I was wrong!! I said that the tournament begins in ernest next week. For the lower-seeded teams that were upset, the tournament began Friday. Jackson State put a real scare in LSU before losing. 12 Belmont is in OT with 5 Oregon.
Bye bye Oregon in double OT. :D A 5 seed goes down in the first round.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It is funny that Kentucky's Rhyne Howard is in AP all American first team but Abby Meyers is not even in the 3rd team.
I've said it before any number of times, but I guess it bears repeating. Rhyne Howard is not my kind of player. I've said so when she was playing in the FIBA U's, and I've said so every year she been in college.

Reaction Score
She’s very talented and has the skills to be an excellent guard in the W. There aren’t that many 6’2” shooting guards who are as good as her. But I wouldn’t want her on my team. Reminds me a bit of DeShields.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What I didn't know was how fiery a coach Carla is. I've watched a lot of the games she played in at UConn and she always seemed the steady, stoic, get it done type of player. Similar to Caroline Ducharme in that manner. It just goes to show you that people are emotionally layered (the term is palimpsestic), and when it comes to human nature, you can't know what you don't know. She's always been my pick for UConn's next coach, and nothing she's done to this point changes that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Post game press conference:

Great press conference from Berube, Meyers and Chen. So enjoyable hearing Berube talk about what this means not just for her team, after having their entire season canceled last year, but for Princeton and for al the mid-majors with the success they're having this tournament.

On the losing side, interesting responses from Howard and Edwards (at 27:00):

Q: "Being conference champions yourself, how does playing the Ivy League champions Princeton compare to other top teams in the nation like South Carolina, LSU and Tennessee that you play pretty often?"​
Edwards: "Um ... I mean ..." [looks to Howard]​
Howard: "Credit to Princeton, but I mean, we've played better teams and come out on top, so ..."​
Edwards: "Yeah, I mean I think the SEC is the top conference in women's basketball, so that's pretty much all I gotta say."​

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything special".

:rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ve been watching wbb games all day starting with ours. I love it. A few upsets along the way was fun to watch. Kentucky lost, Oregon lost, BYU lost and LSU had the crap scared out of them. And this was just today.

I have a feeling we’re not done seeing more great games tomorrow and Monday, and more high seeds shown the door. This has been a great weekend so far with more to come.

UCF scored 69 today. I don't think they are going to score that many on UConn. If they do, it won’t be enough. I see UConn breaking 80 again Monday.

Again I was wrong in suggesting that for most of the top seeded teams, the tournament will begin next week. It started yesterday for them also.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I didn't know was how fiery a coach Carla is. I've watched a lot of the games she played in at UConn and she always seemed the steady, stoic, get it done type of player. Similar to Caroline Ducharme in that manner. It just goes to show you that people are emotionally layered (the term is palimpsestic), and when it comes to human nature, you can't know what you don't know. She's always been my pick for UConn's next coach, and nothing she's done to this point changes that.
Wasn't Geno's comment about Carla getting into coaching something like 'Hunh, last player I would have expected, she never said anything for 4 years at Uconn.' (I think he reprized the statement when 'Precious' Nykesha Sale started coaching as well.)

Reaction Score
Great press conference from Berube, Meyers and Chen. So enjoyable hearing Berube talk about what this means not just for her team, after having their entire season canceled last year, but for Princeton and for al the mid-majors with the success they're having this tournament.

On the losing side, interesting responses from Howard and Edwards (at 27:00):

Q: "Being conference champions yourself, how does playing the Ivy League champions Princeton compare to other top teams in the nation like South Carolina, LSU and Tennessee that you play pretty often?"​
Edwards: "Um ... I mean ..." [looks to Howard]​
Howard: "Credit to Princeton, but I mean, we've played better teams and come out on top, so ..."​
Edwards: "Yeah, I mean I think the SEC is the top conference in women's basketball, so that's pretty much all I gotta say."​

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything special".

:rolleyes:
Saying it is one thing, proving it on the court is another. 9 SEC teams made it in. And Nova was a bubble team? I love it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom