Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Princeton: Carla Berube was right. Play Ball Against UK

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wasn't Geno's comment about Carla getting into coaching something like 'Hunh, last player I would have expected, she never said anything for 4 years at Uconn.' (I think he reprized the statement when 'Precious' Nykesha Sale started coaching as well.)
Yes, and it showed in her on court demeanor. Yet when she's on the sidelines she is explosive, dynamic, argumentative and willing to get in the face of her players.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Saying it is one thing, proving it on the court is another. 9 SEC teams made it in. And Nova was a bubble team? I love it.
One would think they might've learned some humility from last year, when everyone from the "best WBB conference" except SC face-planted in the first weekend, and oh yeah, Kentucky also lost to a lower seed.

These people just repeat these myths over and over in the hopes that they'll become true by sheer force of repetition.

Reaction Score
I've said it before any number of times, but I guess it bears repeating. Rhyne Howard is not my kind of player. I've said so when she was playing in the FIBA U's, and I've said so every year she been in college.
The best Rhyne has played her entire career was during the SEC tournament. She felt slighted because Aliyah won SECPOY instead of her. It drove me crazy her winning it every year. She’s a talent for sure. She can shoot from anywhere but she just shows up when she has to. Wait until she gets to the pros and has to play defense. I think she’ll be a good pro if she lands on the right team. Shame she didn’t play for somebody who would push her.

Theres no way any conference needs more than 6 teams in. I’m SEC all the way but if you’re not in the top half of your conference somebody else deserves a chance. This is a crazy year. There are truly about 10 teams who could get to the FF. I just hope SC can get The guards on track tomorrow or we’ll be the next upset Special.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One would think they might've learned some humility from last year, when everyone from the "best WBB conference" except SC face-planted in the first weekend, and oh yeah, Kentucky also lost to a lower seed.

These people just repeat these myths over and over in the hopes that they'll become true by sheer force of repetition.
They watch the ESPN hype machine too much.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard can be really good when she wants to be. But, like Candace Parker and Diamond Deshields, she does it only when she wants to. I thought that Kentucky's late urge this season was because someone put a bug in Howard's ear--either she was slipping off the All-American list or she was slipping down the draft board. She's very inconsistent. The Kentucky players were not very gracious in the presser.

Reaction Score
Sec was 4-4 I believe. Kentucky, ole Miss, Florida and Arkansas lost. SC, LSU, GA and Tennessee won. ACC WAS 5-4.

You are right, thanks for the correction. When I looked at the bracket on espn.com I mistakenly counts Georgia Tech as Georgia because the "Tech" word is hidden behind the score :)

Reaction Score
I have a question for Abby: How would you like to play with Paige Bueckers next year?
I'd like to see it and UConn is a great environment for a player to be in. However, unless there's an academic reason involved I can't see a kid with her ability wanting to get caught up in that potential PT logjam.

Reaction Score
Princeton plays a similar system to Uconn don't they? Abbie Myers would be somewhat familiar with our system maybe?

Reaction Score
so many ppl were having UConn penciled to play UK and nope, Princeton upset. Indiana I think will impose their will on Princeton tho.

Reaction Score
A conference team that cannot win 50% of its conference games should not be eligible for the ncaa tournament. Go to the nit. The current system forces the Princeton and fgcu type schools to face more difficult teams early in the ncaa because the back room boys from the self proclaimed power conferences select each others mediocre teams. I doubt they saw either Princeton or fgcu play

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A conference team that cannot win 50% of its conference games should not be eligible for the ncaa tournament. Go to the nit. The current system forces the Princeton and fgcu type schools to face more difficult teams early in the ncaa because the back room boys from the self proclaimed power conferences select each others mediocre teams. I doubt they saw either Princeton or fgcu play
I’m SEC all the way and agree with you. Give some of these other teams a chance.

Reaction Score
She is my all-time UCONN favorite. Our steadiest player ever. As Geno said, "She has no heartbeat." I always feltm good when I drove by the giant mural in Hartford that featured her.

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard can be really good when she wants to be. But, like Candace Parker and Diamond Deshields, she does it only when she wants to. I thought that Kentucky's late urge this season was because someone put a bug in Howard's ear--either she was slipping off the All-American list or she was slipping down the draft board. She's very inconsistent. The Kentucky players were not very gracious in the presser.
Not sure you give Princeton or Howard enough credit. For anyone who watched the SEC playoffs, Howard carried Kentucky - one of the better playoff performances I have seen. Princeton did a masterful job of guarding Howard, putting pressure on the other KY players who did not step up.

Reaction Score

Living in SC, I get the SEC Channel and you are spot on. While every local broadcast is preferential to their home teams, Andy Landers is the lead Women's Basketball analyst, and you would think every SEC team should be in the Top 10. Doesn't appear any of the SEC teams get balanced feedback until they get into the Playoffs - by then it's too late for many.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I love me some upsets, but Round 2 will be a challenge, what with only one day to recover. For example, Princeton played mostly 5 players all game... Come second half, rubber legs could arrive.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
On the losing side, interesting responses from Howard and Edwards (at 27:00):

Q: "Being conference champions yourself, how does playing the Ivy League champions Princeton compare to other top teams in the nation like South Carolina, LSU and Tennessee that you play pretty often?"​
Edwards: "Um ... I mean ..." [looks to Howard]​
Howard: "Credit to Princeton, but I mean, we've played better teams and come out on top, so ..."​
Edwards: "Yeah, I mean I think the SEC is the top conference in women's basketball, so that's pretty much all I gotta say."​

And Howard's final parting comment before being excused was along the lines of "Princeton's defense wasn't anything special".

:rolleyes:
A lot of my bracket picks are heart over head, however this year, Princeton was my head pick, as I knew they play solid hoop, and my thoughts re KY was that they had 11 days to sustain the high of winning the SEC tourney (hard), and now they would be playing a team they knew little about. The presser tidbits above should make anyone associated with the selection committee take pause and analyze what "things" they consider when ranking teams. As I said to a friend this am re St Peter's beating Kentucky (men) - I want messy, I want upsets, I want the expert/blowhard/talking heads to realize there's a lot of good hoop out there past the historically anointed "blue bloods" (and don't get me started on that phrase). Linking the P5 football conferences to basketball is wrong. (climbing gingerly off soapbox)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom