Prince Ali transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Prince Ali transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey isnt that what happened to Purvis? I'm ok with him realizing he made a mistake and then transferring to Uconn. But really the question is does Ollie want him. Like has already been said, if Ollie thinks he is a good fit I'll trust that. I dont just want a guy that is transferring just because he is perceived to be highly valuable.
I thought about this myself. It's a little different to decide on another school and change your mind, than to commit, decommit and change your mind.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Obviously not shocking but I've been told by someone close to Ollie we are not interested.

Also, to all the people who don't want him because he committed elsewhere, guess you don't want Purvis or Larrier either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously not shocking but I've been told by someone close to Ollie we are not interested.

Also, to all the people who don't want him because he committed elsewhere, guess you don't want Purvis or Larrier either.
Geez get rid of the Otto the Orange Trump, already.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I thought about this myself. It's a little different to decide on another school and change your mind, than to commit, decommit and change your mind.
Very true, but its in the same mold. He seriously considered us, especially since he commited. But something about UCLA pulled him away. He HAS to be second guessing himself about not coming to Uconn. But i dont know enough about this kid. If he expects to just be given PT based on his name alone, Uconn might not be the place for him. So yea, If Ollie wants to bring him in, i trust that he would be a good fit for our team.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

No, like CL82 said, its not that he committed elsewhere. Its that he committed to us and de-committed to go elsewhere. There is a difference to me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No, like CL82 said, its not that he committed elsewhere. Its that he committed to us and de-committed to go elsewhere. There is a difference to me.
In football this is common practice. Too each his own.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
If they paid you a quarter for every ignorant thing I said at that age you could buy a nice car. Not sure at what age statements should be held accountable/reliable but I really don't think it should be before the age of 21.
I know but I'm not opposed to him coming here even if he said some young, extremely ignorant stuff like that. Things have worked out for purvis and Larrier seems to be doing ok.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If they paid you a quarter for every ignorant thing I said at that age you could buy a nice car. Not sure at what age statements should be held accountable/reliable but I really don't think it should be before the age of 21.
I don't think age is a factor. I doubt most of us are younger than 21 and there is a slew of stuff we post that is ignorant or inflammatory. Maturation doesn't necessarily improve with age.

Not sure if my statement favors "The Prince" or not but it sure is an indictment on the state of Boneyard Nation. ;)

Reaction Score
Wow a young kid had a down freshman year I guess there is no bouncing back from that. Typical BY.

He has tons of talent and I'm sure he will develop over time. Watched him play Montverde in the National Prep game and he was legit. Has many flaws but he is strong and he finishes. The only thing that keeps me at bay is I really want Diallo and they seem very similar.

Now who even says he wants UConn? Who's to say Ollie wants him? So I'll sit back and just watch how this plays out but doubt he ends up here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm with Gurley on this one. I don't care too much about the decommit, but I just don't think (what appears to be) his game atm is what UCONN needs right now. High Volume / low percentage shoot, turnovers, and weak FT shooting. Great, he's an athlete, but we've got plenty of those.

Reaction Score
I'm with Gurley on this one. I don't care too much about the decommit, but I just don't think (what appears to be) his game atm is what UCONN needs right now. High Volume / low percentage shoot, turnovers, and weak FT shooting. Great, he's an athlete, but we've got plenty of those.

Athletes are great. Basketball players are better.

Reaction Score
The one thing I said about Ali last year earned a response on this board from someone in his camp. I wrote that I loved his game but for a guard he seemed very limited in terms of his handle. The poster really was PO'd when I wrote that. It was clearly someone in his camp. I wonder how Ali's handle was last year for UCLA.

Reaction Score
The one thing I said about Ali last year earned a response on this board from someone in his camp. I wrote that I loved his game but for a guard he seemed very limited in terms of his handle. The poster really was PO'd when I wrote that. It was clearly someone in his camp. I wonder how Ali's handle was last year for UCLA.

It's maybe not fair to reach conclusions from stat sheets without watching the games, but he went over two months between assists (about 140 minutes of playing time) -- from Dec. 6 to Feb. 12. or something like that. The two things aren't necessarily hand in hand, but if your handle isn't good enough to beat your man and draw help, you won't get many assists.

Reaction Score
If he wants to come here and Ollie thinks he can contribute, no reason not to have him. I trust his judgment.

If KO wants to call me and ask what I think, I'll start going over his freshman tapes then.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I want nothing to do with this kid and he evidently wanted nothing to do with little, tiny UConn. We don't need him, we got more high profile recruits coming in. Next.

Reaction Score
he evidently wanted nothing to do with little, tiny UConn.

We've discussed this purported quote a few times... can someone point me to discussion about this? Was it just in his decommitment thread?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If he wants to come here and Ollie thinks he can contribute, no reason not to have him. I trust his judgment.

If KO wants to call me and ask what I think, I'll start going over his freshman tapes then.

Of course, but this is a message board, so we offer opinions. There'd be no point in this place otherwise.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We've discussed this purported quote a few times... can someone point me to discussion about this? Was it just in his decommitment thread?
I'm just going off what people have said for the last year or so. I guess maybe the Boneyard isn't a reliable source for accuracy though...
Either way, I'd rather get back to developing true freshman who commit to UConn from the start. Besides, why would he fit here if we have MAL, or Waters, or someone like that coming in to go along with Adams and Gilbert?

Reaction Score

I don't think it's anything Ali said, more the nature of the de-commitment.

Coming on the heels of a monster performance in some AAU event, his stock was skyrocketing. The fact that he de-committed from us to open up his recruitment gave the impression that he wanted the attention and a bigger stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom