Prince Ali transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prince Ali transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's anything Ali said, more the nature of the de-commitment.

Coming on the heels of a monster performance in some AAU event, his stock was skyrocketing. The fact that he de-committed from us to open up his recruitment gave the impression that he wanted the attention and a bigger stage.

People have been saying it's a direct quote. I just wanted to know how it originated.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's anything Ali said, more the nature of the de-commitment.
Sure, but that's the problem. Appearances may look bad, but just making up why the kid did something, and then suddenly quoting him, is a problem.

We probably aren't going to go after him, but some of this thread is the Boneyard at its worst. There are reasons not to want him, and @Gurleyman and @intlzncster nailed what it is. Let KO worry out the other things.

Reaction Score
We only take him if he brings one of the UCLA bigs with him, like 7 foot Welsch

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I'm ambivalent, but moralizing garbage like this makes me hope we court the hell out of him.

No, that was made up by the insecure mutants on this board.
It's not moralizing and if you think so, you're over analyzing it. That's how I feel, I could care what anyone thought he said, I'm going on how I feel on recruits when I would recruit them. Plain and simple . TEN TOES IN!!!

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
He's also a teenager who, currently, seems to be acknowledging that he made a mistake.

I trust KO's judgement and don't presume to know what's best for UConn.
Exactly. I'm saying what I feel, I don't assume to know what Coach is thinking but I would bet he seeks loyalty and someone's word means a lot. That said he's a kid so he will learn and move on. I think we have more pressing needs at our BIGs positions, don't ya think?

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Hasn't it taken Pete Gillen long enough to pronounce KO's name correctly?

Reaction Score
It's not moralizing and if you think so, you're over analyzing it. That's how I feel, I could care what anyone thought he said, I'm going on how I feel on recruits when I would recruit them. Plain and simple . TEN TOES IN!!!
I mean, moralizing has nothing to do with the sincerity behind the statement.

Reaction Score
Man, Ali was slagging us off left and right when he decommitted. It's right there in the quote.
“It’s part of the process,” Ali said. “People may think it’s strange, but at the end of the day I have to do, what I have to do.

“I have gotten a couple phone calls from [other schools] but nothing too serious. I made this decision because I feel like I committed a little too early and I wanted to reopen things.”

And another.
"Perfect fit both offensively and defensively. They will give me the chance to cover the opposing team's best player," said Ali, the No. 44 overall player in the ESPN 100. "I am competitive and look forward to that challenge.

"I like Coach [Steve] Alford because he is an up-front guy, he tells me what I do well and what I need to do better. He didn't sugarcoat anything in the process."

So it's obvious from these quotes, and from using the Boneyard Deductive Reasoning App™, that we were too small-time a school and we would have been far too easy a challenge, all the while being led by a back-stabbing, lying coach.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I have no problem with his decommit. As I remember, KO was trying to recruit over him. I wish he assumed he'd earn his playing time here but it is his future.
What bothers me is we need a big, not a guard. We have enough perimeter players trying to find themselves.

Imagine this year without Miller. I'd hope Enoch & Diarra perform but I'd rather not count on it. If no one is available, fine.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He should go to St. John's or Rutgers. He's a New York kid and those teams will both stink so he will get lots of playing time and can take as many shots as he wants for a year like Harkless did and then go pro. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Reaction Score
IIRC his decommitment had more to do with the contact on our end stopping (I believe i saw 99, 3 or TCF post this way back when).. if that really is the case i'm curious if we would even be in the field for him as a transfer.. but should be interesting. Best of luck to the kid!

Reaction Score
Man, Ali was slagging us off left and right when he decommitted. It's right there in the quote.

Who knows better what Ali actually said -- reporters quoting him or Boneyarders who made the determination without being there when he spoke. Actually quoting someone won't change anyone's mind.

And another.

So it's obvious from these quotes, and from using the Boneyard Deductive Reasoning App™, that we were too small-time a school and we would have been far too easy a challenge, all the while being led by a back-stabbing, lying coach.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

And another.

Exactly, no thanks, we don't need him. Trust in Coach...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If Ollie wants him and he wants UConn then I am fine with him coming here. If not I would wish him well elsewhere, as long as they don't play UConn

Reaction Score
If UConn were to take him, he takes up a 2016 ship while he sits all next season. Larrier was worth that this past season and it wasn't like there was a HS or Prep that could have filled that ship.

If there turns out to be a 2016 ship to fill, I'd rather they save it to get some really talented 2016 recruit, such as some 2017 recruit who reclassifies if one materializes. We could use a ready to play 6-10 or bigger 5 or another combo to provide quality depth who can replace Purvis, have a year under his belt, and give us a solid 3 to 4 years.

I'm not a big fan of adding 5th year players unless they're going to put you over the top. Miller turned out to be a good fit, even though he he had his worst game when we needed him most. Was it worth adding two 5th year guys that helped get us into the tournament and into the round of 32, but who won't be back next season? I'm not sure, but it wasn't like KO had some talented Seniors or Preps when they landed those two.

I realize that PA is not a 5th year transfer. It would have been nice if one of the two (Miller or Gibbs) was an underclassman who would be returning to provide experience for next year's team that is shaping up to be a more balanced and talented roster. If they can add Diallo and Brown and/or similarly talented recruits to the 2016 recruits (Gilbert, Diarra, Vance & Juwan), plus juniors Adams and Enoch, and seniors Larrier and DHam (though DHam likely jumps to the NBA next year if he develops some consistency to his game), the team seems well constructed to make a deep run in the 2018 tourney.

Reaction Score
We need either a 3rd ball handler in case of foul trouble or our biggest need is beefy 4/5. Unless someone else leaves I'd like one of those via grad transfer market or a 2016 recruit becomes available.

If someone else leaves and KO wants him, that's great. But we should be very strong if Purv and DHam do indeed come back. That's where 5th year transfer is useful when u need a strategic piece to put u in conversation for deep run. I think as KO recruiting picks up we will not have as much need, but I absolutely think we could use one next year unless a strong 2016 recruit wants to come, and not many are left unless the coaching carousel opens one up.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Ali just seems to be a player with the same weaknesses that others on the team have rather than being a complementary player that would help balance the roster. I really prefer another PG or combo who can help handle the ball against a press or in case of injury. If we have someone leave, the burly but skilled grad transfer PF would be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom