Prince Ali transferring | The Boneyard

Prince Ali transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a few days old but not sure if it got lost in the shuffle.

Rumors on twitter that Prince Ali is looking to transfer from UCLA. That could be where the 13th scholarship goes. Reminiscent of Purvis/Larrier.

Reaction Score
He comes with baggage and none of us like how he de-commited, but he can play, and would do well under Ollie and the UConn family environment. I'd sign him up, unless it keeps us from getting a Diallo or MAL. (Ali would come in as the same class as those guys unless either were to reclassify - but his scholly would count against the team next year while he sat out, removing any chance Diallo or MAL come in next year)..

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Sounds like an Aladdin character.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so sure he can play. His numbers were not good.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Don't want him, we want players with character and want to be a Husky. It's an honor to wear that uniform, not a right. What he did doesn't sit right and I am sure we can use the scholarship for someone with better character and passion for Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
Don't want him, we want players with character and want to be a Husky. It's an honor to wear that uniform, not a right. What he did doesn't sit right and I am sure we can use the scholarship for someone with better character and passion for Husky Nation.

He's also a teenager who, currently, seems to be acknowledging that he made a mistake.

I trust KO's judgement and don't presume to know what's best for UConn.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Kids make mistakes but didn't he say something like " Uconn wasn't big enough for him". I recall he said something extremely ignorant like that.

Reaction Score
Kids make mistakes but didn't he say something like " Uconn wasn't big enough for him". I recall he said something extremely ignorant like that.

Right. I actually have no issue with the de-commit. That's life. No need for him to say something like that.

All of that being said, if he squares it with Ollie and the team and if Ollie thinks he is the right person to bring in I can get past it. Not that we are doing anything but speculating at this point.

Reaction Score

I'm ambivalent, but moralizing garbage like this makes me hope we court the hell out of him.

No, that was made up by the insecure mutants on this board.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
All I can remember about Prince Ali is that dunk v. Kentucky.

Worthy of picking up the phone if he called.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wish the kid luck
BUT he thought he was better than UConn so UConn doesn't need someone like that
Yeah kids make mistakes but I didn't like how he did it and some of the "little" things he said
NEXT.......

Reaction Score
Are we sure he is good?

I mean, his numbers won't make anyone drool, but you have to consider that there may be more to the story than just his (apparent) lack of ability. He barely played down the stretch in a series of losses for a bad team, but I can't claim to know why.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Let's hope one of his three wishes is to come to UConn amirite?

I'll show myself out

Open-Door.jpg

Reaction Score
If they paid you a quarter for every ignorant thing I said at that age you could buy a nice car. Not sure at what age statements should be held accountable/reliable but I really don't think it should be before the age of 21.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm kind of with you on this. Ten toes in, right?

Reaction Score
If they paid you a quarter for every ignorant thing I said at that age you could buy a nice car. Not sure at what age statements should be held accountable/reliable but I really don't think it should be before the age of 21.

More importantly, from now on, when people say "I seem to remember someone saying" some incredibly inflammatory thing, they have to provide the quote. If Ali had actually said "UConn isn't big enough for me," it would have been a story of some note. If you only have a vague recollection of it, you're probably remembering one of the morons on here who decided he knew what Ali was thinking. In general, people should stop repeating the same untrue garbage over and over again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean, his numbers won't make anyone drool, but you have to consider that there may be more to the story than just his (apparent) lack of ability. He barely played down the stretch in a series of losses for a bad team, but I can't claim to know why.

I didn't pretend to know everything based on stats since I didn't see much video at all, but when people were salivating over his summer numbers in an unstructured league when he was averaging 20 ppg, some red flags showed up. Twice as many turnovers as assists, and 42 or so percent shooting without a lot of threes. He looked like a high usage and low efficiency guy (at least in the summer league setting), so I wasn't convinced there was a lot to his game. You can maybe work on shooting range over time, but usually passing instincts are either there or they aren't. If he had come to us, I would have been open-minded and hoped he showed more to his game, but his limited run at UCLA backed up my impressions with a small sample size (0.4 apg, 38 percent shooting).

Reaction Score
KO will no whether KO would still take him or not. I'm far less concerned that he decommitted and went to UCLA than I am about his lack of performance when he got there, but KO will have to sort through it (if in fact Ali is leaving UCLA and would want to come to Storrs).

Reaction Score
Hey isnt that what happened to Purvis? I'm ok with him realizing he made a mistake and then transferring to Uconn. But really the question is does Ollie want him. Like has already been said, if Ollie thinks he is a good fit I'll trust that. I dont just want a guy that is transferring just because he is perceived to be highly valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom