Pressure mounting on Notre Dame.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pressure mounting on Notre Dame....

Reaction Score
They won the last 5 rifle championships (2013-2017) and 19 in total. Outside of that they had men's BB in 1942 and men's boxing in 1938. Thank you Wikipedia.
I assume you meant in a relevant sport, but I had to add my 2 cents just for fun :)
That's going to go over really big in North Carolina and Virginia.

Reaction Score
That's going to go over really big in North Carolina and Virginia.
They do love guns there! WVU is P5 already. That will not change. UConn is G5. Does anyone really believe that will change in the next decade? I wouldn't mock WVU. UConn may need their vote someday.

Reaction Score
They do love guns there! WVU is P5 already. That will not change. UConn is G5. Does anyone really believe that will change in the next decade? I wouldn't mock WVU. UConn may need their vote someday.
I assume you are insinuating WVU will be in the ACC. Wrong again! If the ACC has to pick between WVU and UCONN, they will pick UCONN. They will not pick a school in a crappy market with crappy academics again. You really are an idiot.

Reaction Score
I assume you are insinuating WVU will be in the ACC. Wrong again! If the ACC has to pick between WVU and UCONN, they will pick UCONN. They will not pick a school in a crappy market with crappy academics again. You really are an idiot.
No, I'm not an idiot. UConn has already been rejected by the ACC three times, including when UConn had successful athletics. I am not insinuating that WVU will be in the ACC. They have a GOR with the Big 12. I am saying that should the Big 12 implode, they will likely be given strong consideration by the ACC for the reasons that you mentioned.

Reaction Score
No, I'm not an idiot. UConn has already been rejected by the ACC three times, including when UConn had successful athletics. I am not insinuating that WVU will be in the ACC. They have a GOR with the Big 12. I am saying that should the Big 12 implode, they will likely be given strong consideration by the ACC for the reasons that you mentioned.
You were talking about the ACC. The ACC had a chance to add WVU and passed on them as well. UCONN would be added before WVU without a doubt. Why add a school in a crappy media market with mediocre academics at best? And again, they don't win championships in anything.

Reaction Score
No not an idiot in general, but yes in that you think you can fool the UConn fans on this board into believing your stupid crap. When you say "rejected three times" you fail to provide the actual vote count amongst the member schools during those three times.

Reaction Score
No not an idiot in general, but yes in that you think you can fool the UConn fans on this board into believing your stupid crap. When you say "rejected three times" you fail to provide the actual vote count amongst the member schools during those three times.
If UConn wasn't rejected, they would be in. How would I possibly know the vote? Generally, the actual vote is unanimous after the university presidents are cajoled to save face, so the general public never knows what the real vote was. Nonetheless, if UConn had the votes, they would have been in. But they didn't so they are not. How much more in denial can you possibly be? I do know that UConn was not invited when the BE was breaking up, not invited along with Syracuse (they took Pitt to placate BC) and not invited in 2012 when they took Louisville to placate BC, FSU and Clemson. You absolutely cannot deny this.

Reaction Score
If UConn wasn't rejected, they would be in. How would I possibly know the vote? Generally, the actual vote is unanimous after the university presidents are cajoled to save face, so the general public never knows what the real vote was. Nonetheless, if UConn had the votes, they would have been in. But they didn't so they are not. How much more in denial can you possibly be? I do know that UConn was not invited when the BE was breaking up, not invited along with Syracuse (they took Pitt to placate BC) and not invited in 2012 when they took Louisville to placate BC, FSU and Clemson. You absolutely cannot deny this.
And if WVU had the votes they'd be in the ACC. But the ACC passed on them as well. How much more in denial can you be? You absolutely cannot deny this. Once again, if the ACC has to choose between UCONN and WVU come 2023 or 2024, they will choose UCONN without thinking about it.

Reaction Score
I consider myself part of the general public and I know what the actual vote was and I can tell you it wouldn't help your case much in this debate, and I think you also know what the actual vote was. So who's probably in denial now??? Hilary Clinton was rejected three times by the American people, so I guess she should throw in the towel too? Lol

Reaction Score
I would actually like to know what the actual vote was, I am unaware. I always thought they make it unanimous no matter what as a show of strength. I do think Hillary should throw in the towel.

Reaction Score
I would actually like to know what the actual vote was, I am unaware. I always thought they make it unanimous no matter what as a show of strength. I do think Hillary should throw in the towel.

Buddy is correct in that the usual method is to take a straw vote and then vote the winner of that vote unanimously.

Sometimes, the straw votes do get out...but much is conjecture not confirmed fact. The only way that FSU fans, for example, eventually found out who actually opposed them for inclusion in the ACC, was when a retired former AD provided the context in a newspaper interview years later.

Reaction Score

Also, I think the ACC is not keen on UConn is because the AG at the time sued them. Would you want someone in your club who SUED you?

Reaction Score
They let Pitt in the club.

SC Husky, you can believe what you want but Richard (“Phony Vietnam Vet”) Blumenthal as Connecticut Attorney General was the point person for the lawsuit against the ACC for which the ACC eventually paid nuisance fee to Blumenthal and others to settle even after the Court had dismissed Blumenthal’s lawsuit on jurisdictional grounds. A f years ago, shortly after SU and others bolted the Big East to jointhe ACC I had the opportunity to meet the then Senior Associate Athletic Director at SU and I asked him if the Blumenthal law suit against the ACC was a factor in UConn getting “F’ d”in the conference shuffle. His reply was “I think so” which I took as affirtive that the old boys on Tobacco Road were offended by Blumenthal’s actions.

Reaction Score
The Metro Conference was not a mid major conference. If it was, well then, that's the progression of college athletics. But mid majors don't get home and homes with powerful schools.

UCF, UNC Agree to Home-and-Home Series - UCF

UCF is hosting Stanford in 2019. Must be embarrassing for Stanford to be playing a game there. :rolleyes:

We're pretty much back to right where we were in the Big East. The football is better, the basketball is close. Besides our women's program. Won 3 titles while in the AAC so far.

The ACC will regret leaving us out if we are taken by the Big Ten. Big time.

If some of you were smart enough, you'd realize we can create the media narrative. Remember "P6"? We also need to show up at games. When the Big East was around, that's what we had. The Big East was not destroyed; it was rearranged. The football is definitely superior, at least while we were in it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC Husky, you can believe what you want but Richard (“Phony Vietnam Vet”) Blumenthal as Connecticut Attorney General was the point person for the lawsuit against the ACC for which the ACC eventually paid nuisance fee to Blumenthal and others to settle even after the Court had dismissed Blumenthal’s lawsuit on jurisdictional grounds. A f years ago, shortly after SU and others bolted the Big East to jointhe ACC I had the opportunity to meet the then Senior Associate Athletic Director at SU and I asked him if the Blumenthal law suit against the ACC was a factor in UConn getting “F’ d”in the conference shuffle. His reply was “I think so” which I took as affirtive that the old boys on Tobacco Road were offended by Blumenthal’s actions.
Wow! "I think so" really validates your claim! Bohol, you can believe what you want. Beating BCU 26 straight times in men's basketball had something to do with it. And ESPN didn't want us in. Deflippo even said that in the Globe interview (which he tried to walk back later). Which, if you see how ESPN has screwed us at every turn since, certainly had a lot to do with it as well. But I know those reasons aren't an, "I think so", from the Senior Associate Athletic Director at SU.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
West Virginia is a national football program with a rabid following. Not to mention there hoops are ranked #2 right now.

The idea we would be taken by the ACC over them because we have field hockey and academics is cringeworthy.

Reaction Score
West Virginia is a national football program with a rabid following. Not to mention there hoops are ranked #2 right now.

The idea we would be taken by the ACC over them because we have field hockey and academics is cringeworthy.
You're wrong and you're an idiot. They won't decide whether or not to add a program over one point in time. UCONN has won more championships in men's basketball than any program since 1999. Hell, we won the national championship in men's basketball just four years ago. Plus WVU is in a crummy market. We bring the NYC market to the ACC. West Virginia could never do that. And if the ACC was so enamored with WVU they would have added them when they had the chance. Lastly, yes, academics matter. Cringeworthy? You're a moron.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
West Virginia was ranked #7 in team merchandise sales by Walmart

Reaction Score
You're wrong and you're an idiot. They won't decide whether or not to add a program over one point in time. UCONN has won more championships in men's basketball than any program since 1999. Hell, we won the national championship in men's basketball just four years ago. Plus WVU is in a crummy market. We bring the NYC market to the ACC. West Virginia could never do that. And if the ACC was so enamored with WVU they would have added them when they had the chance. Lastly, yes, academics matter. Cringeworthy? You're a moron.
You called me an idiot over this and now you are calling ConnHuskBask an idiot for the same thing. As for your fourth to last sentence, we can turn it around to say if the ACC was so enamored with UConn why didn't they add UConn when they had the chance? You, actually, are the moron. WVU was headed to the Big 12 before the Big East reconfiguration. At that time, they didn't care what the ACC thought of them, they had a landing spot. I also don't believe UConn brings the NYC market to the ACC. I live in NYC. I see ACC ads at every Yankee game. They don't mention UConn anywhere. The ACC is thriving in NYC without UConn I am sorry to say. Your anger, I believe, is appropriately directed toward ESPN. To that I agree. They orchestrated the whole thing. I am not posting this an an anti UConn poster. I am an alumnus, but just stating what I perceive to be realistic. WVU is thriving in the P5. UConn not so much.

Reaction Score
You called me an idiot over this and now you are calling ConnHuskBask an idiot for the same thing. As for your fourth to last sentence, we can turn it around to say if the ACC was so enamored with UConn why didn't they add UConn when they had the chance? You, actually, are the moron. WVU was headed to the Big 12 before the Big East reconfiguration. At that time, they didn't care what the ACC thought of them, they had a landing spot. I also don't believe UConn brings the NYC market to the ACC. I live in NYC. I see ACC ads at every Yankee game. They don't mention UConn anywhere. The ACC is thriving in NYC without UConn I am sorry to say. Your anger, I believe, is appropriately directed toward ESPN. To that I agree. They orchestrated the whole thing. I am not posting this an an anti UConn poster. I am an alumnus, but just stating what I perceive to be realistic. WVU is thriving in the P5. UConn not so much.
You're wrong as always troll. The ACC could have preempted the Big 12 if they wanted them so bad. You live in NYC? Go ahead and ignore that UCONN owns MSG when they play there. No ACC team is capable of doing that. For an alumnus you work really hard to root against UCONN. And you are an idiot.

Reaction Score
ESPN doesn't care about fans' butts in seats in MSG...they look for viewership.....The YES network (NY, Connecticut, New Jersey) has a contract with ESPN/Fox to televise 10 ACC football games and 23 basketball games as well as well as women's basketball and select Olympic sports.

Although that appears to be moot with ESPN acquiring YES as their regional sports network for NY.

The question is...what does ESPN's acquisition of YES mean for UConn?

Will it add to the exposure provided UConn via the AAC media contract?

Reaction Score

It's really difficult at this point to tell what the ACC would do. I could have told you what the ACC team that studied expansion in 2012 would do, but we have mostly new players now. UVA, UNC, VT, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Florida State, Louisville, and Clemson all have new Presidents, and most have new Athletic Directors. None of these people have ever been asked to analyze this and offer opinion on expansion choices. There aren't many clues as to what they would prefer. The league office would have to put together the expansion committee again and go through the analysis process all over again. That's not going to be in the works unless Notre Dame decides they want to join for football. We know that the current President and Athletic Director at Notre Dame aren't interested in that. So we'll need to have their successors in place to have any opportunity at that, and who knows when that will be? If Notre Dame does decide to join, they will have influence on who joins with them. They won't be able to ram someone through, but if who they recommend doesn't have much objection, they'll probably get in. It is important to be pals with Notre Dame. I don't know if West Virginia is. I don't know if UConn is.

The other factor is the new Conference Network Channel and how to make that generate as much revenue as possible. How a new expansion choice affects that will be very important. These are some new factors today that weren't part of the process in 2011.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom