Pressure mounting on Notre Dame.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pressure mounting on Notre Dame....

Reaction Score
ND will not join a football conference unless and until the playoffs are legally mandated as P4 conference champs only.

Jack Swarbrick is on record saying this. Otherwise, it will be the status quo for ND going forward.

It is well aware of the bolded text in your post and is good with where it now sits. ND has known this for several years. Its answer is to try to make its schedule harder, not easier as Kelly suggests.

Here is what Swarbrick said just last July about ND football schedules in the playoff era:

"On scheduling at large, Swarbrick appears content with Notre Dame’s slates when married to the College Football Playoff contract that runs through 2025. The way Swarbrick sees it, Notre Dame needs a data point against at least four of the five Power 5 conferences if it’s going to make the field without a perfect regular season.

We want markers against the major conferences,” Swarbrick said. “We’ll always have a Pac-12 marker, we’ll have two every year. More often than not we’ll have a Big Ten marker. We’ll always have an ACC marker.

"The focus was trying to build some SEC markers into the schedule with A&M, Georgia and Arkansas. We’ve been able to do tha
t.”

Swarbrick talks future football schedules

He also said this last July:

"There will be years where not having a conference championship works against us. We understand that, we factor it into our calculus. But, given the schedules we’re building, I’ll be very comfortable arguing most years that our 12 games compare favorably with everybody else’s 13. When you say a 13-game schedule is superior to our 12-game schedule, you have to compare all the games. We’re building schedules that I think will stand up to that comparison well. They’ll be very tough to navigate. No one will ever accuse us of backing in with the schedules we’ve built for the future."

Q&A with Notre Dame AD: 'No reason we can't compete for national championship'

So, again. Brian Kelly has no say or authority over football independence or scheduling. He does not speak for the university on those issues, Jack Swarbrick does.

I would not get too worked up over anything Kelly says on this subject.
Trying to shoot down what Brian Kelly said last week with comments Swarbrick made 7 months ago last summer is total bulls...hit. Kelly is the head coach and as such has tremendous say on scheduling and football independence. He would not of said what he said without Swarbrick's blessing. If Notre Dame stays independent despite all the warning bells, they will never make the playoffs, for the simple reason that they would be competing against ten teams (the top one or two in each P5 conference and maybe one G5 team) every single year. If they join the ACC in football (they already are ACC members in all other sports including basketball) their competition for the playoffs is one team, either Clemson or Miami. Adding to their revenue would be content from the ACC Network which starts next year, and a full share from the league, and if they join in football as a full member, I would bet their basketball revenue would see a bump up as well. The NBC contract would stay the same, with both sides sharing some content, and game rights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were #3 in the committee rankings even with a loss. Had they beaten Miami and Stanford, they would’ve not only been in, they would’ve been the top seed.
Doubt it. Two SEC teams were going and after champ week I don't see them leaving out conference champs Clemson and Oklahoma both with just one loss and ranked in the top 5 just to take ND who also had one loss and no conference championship. The conference championship games are huge. It's one last chance to make a big impression against a top 10 team. ND not being given the opportunity to do that will always mean they are starting out with one strike against them going into the selection process.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Trying to shoot down what Brian Kelly said last week with comments Swarbrick made 7 months ago last summer is total bulls...hit. Kelly is the head coach and as such has tremendous say on scheduling and football independence. He would not of said what he said without Swarbrick's blessing. If Notre Dame stays independent despite all the warning bells, they will never make the playoffs, for the simple reason that they would be competing against ten teams (the top one or two in each P5 conference and maybe one G5 team) every single year. If they join the ACC in football (they already are ACC members in all other sports including basketball) their competition for the playoffs is one team, either Clemson or Miami. Adding to their revenue would be content from the ACC Network which starts next year, and a full share from the league, and if they join in football as a full member, I would bet their basketball revenue would see a bump up as well. The NBC contract would stay the same, with both sides sharing some content, and game rights.

Kelly doesn't have the say you think, but continue to believe what you will. ND already has a deal in place for a full membership share of all ACC Network revenues. Lets see what happens going forward. I predict status quo regarding ND/ACC.

Reaction Score
The ACC will proclaim academics is their top priority and then add WVU.

That's how college sports works.
Nonetheless, WVU is a much more attractive choice than UConn at this time by any conference. They have a very competitive football program and their men's basketball program is also very good (currently ranked #6). Where is UConn ranked in men's athletics overall? Not even competitive in a mid major conference. Mismanagement since the declining days of the Big East. Sad statement and look what is happening now!

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Nonetheless, WVU is a much more attractive choice than UConn at this time by any conference. They have a very competitive football program and their men's basketball program is also very good (currently ranked #6). Where is UConn ranked in men's athletics overall? Not even competitive in a mid major conference. Mismanagement since the declining days of the Big East. Sad statement and look what is happening now!
UConn is a much better school (academically, WVU isn't even in the same galaxy as UConn). And until recently we've had a better athletic program by far. But as you say, due to mismanagement our revenue sports are really suffering. Maybe that can be turned around by the time the next realignment occurs.

Reaction Score
They were #3 in the committee rankings even with a loss. Had they beaten Miami and Stanford, they would’ve not only been in, they would’ve been the top seed.
The problem is that their schedule works against them. They have less margin of error than any other top program because they will never have a 13th data point, won’t feast as consistently on the bottom of their conference as Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State do, and thanks to longstanding rivalries they are intent on preserving, will have a minimum of 3 games against top B10/PAC programs. Obviously they can make the playoffs with only one loss, but they start off each season with the wind in their face.

Reaction Score
For the 267th time, the AAC is not a mid-major. It's better or almost as strong as the Big East in every sport. The conference will house a couple of SEC schools' women's lacrosse programs soon.

Reaction Score
The problem is that their schedule works against them. They have less margin of error than any other top program because they will never have a 13th data point, won’t feast as consistently on the bottom of their conference as Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State do, and thanks to longstanding rivalries they are intent on preserving, will have a minimum of 3 games against top B10/PAC programs. Obviously they can make the playoffs with only one loss, but they start off each season with the wind in their face.

All well understood and accepted by ND.

Reaction Score
No, but he doesn't really count.
No, and the guy who does can’t speak openly. But your old AD made a few comments back during the last shakeup which many alluded to smoke signals coming about Swarbrick, ones which turned out fairly prescient. If something were to happen in the future, I imagine we’d get similar outside quotes popping up as a way to lay the groundwork before Swarbrick does anything publicly.

Reaction Score
And this is very untrue. Not all conferences care about just athletics. We're STILL on the Big Ten's radar. The people who run the Big Ten understand that UConn joining the Big Ten would work wonders for us and maybe them, too. Doesn't have to be just in football. But they know we have a far better athletic department than Rutgers.

Sometimes, I feel like this board is for counseling.

Parke Davis retroactively and unjustly awarded his own alma mater (Princeton) championships going back to 1869. There's way more in New England than the mid Atlantic states. The Ivies and the NESCAC never affiliated with schools just for athletics. There's even geography involved.

Reaction Score
And this is very untrue. Not all conferences care about just athletics. We're STILL on the Big Ten's radar. The people who run the Big Ten understand that UConn joining the Big Ten would work wonders for us and maybe them, too. Doesn't have to be just in football. But they know we have a far better athletic department than Rutgers.

Very heartening post. Question though: How do you know that UCONN is still on the B1G's radar?

Reaction Score

Parke Davis retroactively and unjustly awarded his own alma mater (Princeton) championships going back to 1869. There's way more in New England than the mid Atlantic states. The Ivies and the NESCAC never affiliated with schools just for athletics. There's even geography involved.
I don't see how you can say that my comment about WVU is untrue. They are better at football, the basketball program is thriving. UConn is struggling in conference play in the AAC except for women's sports. This is undeniable. Academics may have mattered in 1869, but they don't matter now. I can prove my statements about WVU by looking at their conference standing. Your B1G statement rings hollow.

Reaction Score
I don't see how you can say that my comment about WVU is untrue. They are better at football, the basketball program is thriving. UConn is struggling in conference play in the AAC except for women's sports. This is undeniable. Academics may have mattered in 1869, but they don't matter now. I can prove my statements about WVU by looking at their conference standing. Your B1G statement rings hollow.
Wrong. Academic Excellence is a requirement for entry into the B1G. That fact is indisputable. Whether or not UCONN is on the B1G's radar is another matter. However, like Louisville, WVU is nothing more than a glorified sports academy. And UCONN's athletics are plenty good enough, even with the recent downturn in football and men's basketball. Hell, we won a national championship in men's basketball just four years ago. When was the last time WVU won a national championship in any sport? On top of this UCONN is in a major media market with a strong presence in NYC. WVU resides in lousy market. UCONN is a much more attractive candidate for the next round of realignment. And know this, if the ACC does add another school, they will not make the same mistake and another school with substandard academics. They will add a school with strong academics. Losing UMD (which has stellar academics) was a big blow to the ACC. Now that may mean that Cinci would get added instead of UCONN, but the next add will have solid academics. Cincinnati does have solid academics. Their academics just aren't top notch like UCONN's. So you are wrong, academics matter very much to the B1G and the ACC. Academics don't matter much to WVU and their fanbase though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wrong. Academic Excellence is a requirement for entry into the B1G. That fact is indisputable. Whether or not UCONN is on the B1G's radar is another matter. However, like Louisville, WVU is nothing more than a glorified sports academy. And UCONN's athletics are plenty good enough, even with the recent downturn in football and men's basketball. Hell, we won a national championship in men's basketball just four years ago. When was the last time WVU won a national championship in any sport? On top of this UCONN is in a major media market with a strong presence in NYC. WVU resides in lousy market. UCONN is a much more attractive candidate for the next round of realignment. And know this, if the ACC does add another school, they will not make the same mistake and another school with substandard academics. They will add a school with strong academics. Losing UMD (which has stellar academics) was a big blow to the ACC. Now that may mean that Cinci would get added instead of UCONN, but the next add will have solid academics. Cincinnati does have solid academics. Their academics just aren't top notch like UCONN's. So you are wrong, academics matter very much to the B1G and the ACC. Academics don't matter much to WVU and their fanbase though.

Who are you even replying to? Is somebody suggesting WVU to the Big Ten?

I think your view of Academics is a bit off. WVU is a flagship state university, and while not one of the better ones, it has some decent research numbers and isn't anything like Louisville or Memphis. WVU is already in a P5 conference anyway and is subject to a GOR. They can't move now. The B1G wouldn't want them, and the ACC turned them down once before (stupidly, I think). They have top notch athletic programs across the board.

Cincinnati is a perfectly good school, and while behind UConn in USNWR and undergrad rankings, is generally well ahead of UConn in the area of graduate research that the B1G values so highly. The AAU is all about graduate research, not undergrad admission criteria. That said, Ohio State would never let Cincinnati join the B1G. Not sure why it is even a consideration. Plus they add zero as a market. The ACC, different story there. They'd be a candidate there, probably our main competitor. Fortunately, I don't think the ACC has any interest in a 3rd Florida school.

Reaction Score
Who are you even replying to? Is somebody suggesting WVU to the Big Ten?

I think your view of Academics is a bit off. WVU is a flagship state university, and while not one of the better ones, it has some decent research numbers and isn't anything like Louisville or Memphis. WVU is already in a P5 conference anyway and is subject to a GOR. They can't move now. The B1G wouldn't want them, and the ACC turned them down once before (stupidly, I think). They have top notch athletic programs across the board.

Cincinnati is a perfectly good school, and while behind UConn in USNWR and undergrad rankings, is generally well ahead of UConn in the area of graduate research that the B1G values so highly. The AAU is all about graduate research, not undergrad admission criteria. That said, Ohio State would never let Cincinnati join the B1G. Not sure why it is even a consideration. Plus they add zero as a market. The ACC, different story there. They'd be a candidate there, probably our main competitor. Fortunately, I don't think the ACC has any interest in a 3rd Florida school.
I replied to Buddy who replied to Butch. Buddy stated that academics don't matter. Not sure why he's spouting off about WVU being a more attractive candidate than UCONN when they are locked into the Big 12 until 2024 or so. I guess all of these WVU yahoos now want to move to the ACC.

You are correct that WVU is a flagship university, not just one of the better ones. And you are correct with your take on Cincinnati academics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Conference call in 20 minutes?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Kelly has a personal motive to join the ACC for the CCG and an easier schedule as it helps him keep his job in years he doesn't make the playoff. Swarbrick doesn't and his math regarding ND's playoff chances is spot on.

Reaction Score
Academic excellence is not necessarily related to AAU membership. which is allegedly a requirement of admission of a school to the B1G. (UConn is actually has higher academic ranking that some AAU members). Note I said allegedly, as if it was a requirement for membership,then Nebraska would be asked to leave that league. Secondly, I never alluded that WVU would be considered for the B1G. However, they would be considered for the ACC, if, for example, the Big 12 dissolves in the near future. Academics do not matter to the ACC. That is all that I was saying. Those who like to ignore this, just are taking the ostrich approach and sticking their heads in the sand. Also, how many of us see another men's national basketball championship in the pipeline? How many of you all can see an AAC regular season championship in the next couple years in men's basketball or football for that matter? WVU can be at least a final four team this year. I am not a WVU fan, just stating what I see. Posters here are always mocking other members of the AAC and schools like WVU, who have been successful in men's athletics. It seems to me that UConn is the one struggling to succeed in men's sports at this time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
When was the last time WVU won a national championship in any sport?
They won the last 5 rifle championships (2013-2017) and 19 in total. Outside of that they had men's BB in 1942 and men's boxing in 1938. Thank you Wikipedia.
I assume you meant in a relevant sport, but I had to add my 2 cents just for fun :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom