Pressure mounting on Notre Dame.... | The Boneyard

Pressure mounting on Notre Dame....

Reaction Score
Kelly does not come out and say it but joining the ACC in football is becoming more apparent if ND wants into the playoffs in future years. Other major programs with P5 scheduling have a huge advantage on them and Kelly points that out.

Notre Dame will assess scheduling in future after facing late slew of ranked opponents The going got tough: ND to rethink scheduling
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Last edited:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
If they do decide to join a conference, let's hope that its in a couple of years to give us time to build a representative football program and to give basketball some time to recover and get back to more than respectable. Otherwise, the conference may be looking at Cincy or Temple (or god help us, UMess) as a partner instead of us.

Reaction Score
If they do decide to join a conference, let's hope that its in a couple of years to give us time to build a representative football program and to give basketball some time to recover and get back to more than respectable. Otherwise, the conference may be looking at Cincy or Temple (or god help us, UMess) as a partner instead of us.
Absolutely agree on that, a little time is needed to shore up the brand. With the recruits Edsall and RL has been getting lately, I think UConn football will be surprising some people in a couple years. If I am AD David Benedict, I am much more worried about the dumpster fire that is the men's basketball program, considering how deep the abyss is that it has fallen into.

Reaction Score
I saw this on another board. Their schedule doesn't get any better than this year. They were 4-1 vs ACC. 2-0 vs Temple, Miami (OH). They were 2-1 vs rivals Stanford, Navy and USC. They were 1-1 vs Michigan State, Georgia. If they join the ACC they need 3 more games. If you swap Temple, Miami (OH) and either MSU or UGA, they wind up with the same record.

If I were UConn, I would play up the blood feud with BC. Seems like a lot of hatred there. I think the rivalry could be on par with Duke/UNC. Certainly above UConn/UCF <zing!>. Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, I think your competition is WV more than Cincy. We all know WV will go nuclear to get out of a conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nonsense, if this year proves anything it shows the conference championships mean nothing. It is number of losses and quality of schedule. Even with 5 ACC games and service academies, ND will always have one of the better schedules. And like everyone else, 2 losses and you are out.

Reaction Score
.......... If I were UConn, I would play up the blood feud with BC. Seems like a lot of hatred there.....

One of the many reasons why the AAC does not fit UConn is because it does not provide UConn with a natural rival.

Reaction Score
I think this is exciting news.

IMO Kelly could not say this publicly without ND administrative approval. That, coupled with ESPN publishing the story, leads me to believe this is now on the table for serious discussion. If it happens, I assume it would be before the ACC network launches in 2019. If so, I would assume it would also be the time for the ACC to add #16.

If the primary criteria for #16 is going to be recent success in the top two revenue sports, we are hosed. But I don’t think we are.
  • We are the strongest candidate from an institutional standpoint — state flagship, great academics, updated/updating facilities, great and extensive “non-revenue” sports for ACC Network content, etc. See the great stuff compiled by @Dooley and others during the Big 12 non-expansion for specific details and metrics.
  • Our biggest drawback for the Big 12 was geography. That is an advantage for us here. In the past BC and Syracuse helped keep us out but now I believe leagues regret losing regional rivalries. I think the ACC would welcome the resumption of the cage matches between former Big East brethren. That, and “locking up” the northeast (and preventing further Big Ten intrusion into NYC/the ACC footprint), should trump the BC and Syracuse NIMBYs.
  • The “basketball” schools threw the “football” schools a bone with Louisville. I think the basketball schools have more leverage this time around because of that.
  • We have the institutional capability of eventually being competitive in the two revenue sports. We have done it before in basketball and I truly believe we could do it in football.
Yes, it would be nice if football and basketball at least showed signs of sustainable improvement in 2018. This should make us a no brainer for the ACC if they need #16 soon. And we should not leave anything to chance.

Reaction Score
The point about regional rivalries is a good one History Geek. Fans being able to drive to away games. Plus another strong presence in the NYC market should be seen as a plus by the ACC. It also can't hurt that we didn't break the arm of the Virginia mascot when they visited the Rent as opposed to what happened when the last Big 12 team was here. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t ND just wait until they expand to 8? Then they wouldn’t have to join a conference unless they change their whole passion for independence.
I’ll play along though. If ND joins the ACC then team 16 will be whoever ND wants 16 to be.

Reaction Score
It must be the offseason for the "ND to join the ACC in football" talk to begin...again and again.

Brian Kelly likes to run his mouth. Don't get too excited about what he says, he doesn't speak for the university.

Listen to Jack Swarbrick instead.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t ND just wait until they expand to 8? Then they wouldn’t have to join a conference unless they change their whole passion for independence.
I’ll play along though. If ND joins the ACC then team 16 will be whoever ND wants 16 to be.

These are good points.

Reaction Score
It must be the offseason for the "ND to join the ACC in football" talk to begin...again and again.

Brian Kelly likes to run his mouth. Don't get too excited about what he says, he doesn't speak for the university.

Listen to Jack Swarbrick instead.

I hear what you are saying, but I would prefer to be excited. If it sets me up for more painful disappointment, so be it.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I never thought ND would go to a conference, but this is about money - and ND is getting less than all P5 schools and only a few hundred K more than UCONN from this year's bowl. There is a great write up about it on another post. It won't happen soon, but money talks. It will happen.

Reaction Score
The ACC will proclaim academics is their top priority and then add WVU.

That's how college sports works.
I think we would still get the nod over WVU, even now, with the dumpster fire we have in men's basketball. WVU cannot even approach UConn on the content our sports programs, both revenue and non-revenue nationally recognized sports, can provide to the ACC Network.

Reaction Score
I never thought ND would go to a conference, but this is about money - and ND is getting less than all P5 schools and only a few hundred K more than UCONN from this year's bowl. There is a great write up about it on another post. It won't happen soon, but money talks. It will happen.
They are going to have to fully join a conference because they're not going to be able to get into the CFP otherwise. Two of the spots go to SEC teams. The other two are going to the other four P5 conference champs. The only way ND even has a remote chance to get in is if they go undefeated and the conference champs have 2 losses. A one loss Ohio State team that wins the B1G for example will get in over an undefeated ND and that's the problem for them. If ND is happy playing in lesser bowls to remain independent for half of their season then fine, but not being in a conference hurts them when it comes to picking the four CFP teams.

Reaction Score
They are going to have to fully join a conference because they're not going to be able to get into the CFP otherwise. Two of the spots go to SEC teams. The other two are going to the other four P5 conference champs. The only way ND even has a remote chance to get in is if they go undefeated and the conference champs have 2 losses. A one loss Ohio State team that wins the B1G for example will get in over an undefeated ND and that's the problem for them. If ND is happy playing in lesser bowls to remain independent for half of their season then fine, but not being in a conference hurts them when it comes to picking the four CFP teams.

ND will not join a football conference unless and until the playoffs are legally mandated as P4 conference champs only.

Jack Swarbrick is on record saying this. Otherwise, it will be the status quo for ND going forward.

It is well aware of the bolded text in your post and is good with where it now sits. ND has known this for several years. Its answer is to try to make its schedule harder, not easier as Kelly suggests.

Here is what Swarbrick said just last July about ND football schedules in the playoff era:

"On scheduling at large, Swarbrick appears content with Notre Dame’s slates when married to the College Football Playoff contract that runs through 2025. The way Swarbrick sees it, Notre Dame needs a data point against at least four of the five Power 5 conferences if it’s going to make the field without a perfect regular season.

We want markers against the major conferences,” Swarbrick said. “We’ll always have a Pac-12 marker, we’ll have two every year. More often than not we’ll have a Big Ten marker. We’ll always have an ACC marker.

"The focus was trying to build some SEC markers into the schedule with A&M, Georgia and Arkansas. We’ve been able to do tha
t.”

Swarbrick talks future football schedules

He also said this last July:

"There will be years where not having a conference championship works against us. We understand that, we factor it into our calculus. But, given the schedules we’re building, I’ll be very comfortable arguing most years that our 12 games compare favorably with everybody else’s 13. When you say a 13-game schedule is superior to our 12-game schedule, you have to compare all the games. We’re building schedules that I think will stand up to that comparison well. They’ll be very tough to navigate. No one will ever accuse us of backing in with the schedules we’ve built for the future."

Q&A with Notre Dame AD: 'No reason we can't compete for national championship'

So, again. Brian Kelly has no say or authority over football independence or scheduling. He does not speak for the university on those issues, Jack Swarbrick does.

I would not get too worked up over anything Kelly says on this subject.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are going to have to fully join a conference because they're not going to be able to get into the CFP otherwise.

They were #3 in the committee rankings even with a loss. Had they beaten Miami and Stanford, they would’ve not only been in, they would’ve been the top seed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom