Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
This will be a year where the 1st place votes will be spread around weekly. I don't see anyone being a unanimous #1 at any point during November or maybe even December. Coaches poll, by the way, gets worse as the season wears on and coaches don't actually have time to watch games and just vote how their closest friend on the board votes. I lost respect for it a couple of years ago when Texas had lost their best player and a third of their games and were still in the Top 25...

HGN

Reaction Score
But I thought all the other coaches hated Geno? :rolleyes:
They do.....But they don't want to see Geno ranked in the teens and have him come in and kick their butts. So why not rank UCONN HIGH so that when you play Uconn and beat him you can claim something.

But make no mistake about it. They hate him.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think proportionally, UTenn lost about as much as we did and I' m not expecting much from them.

As far as UConn is concerned it's hard to imagine a situation in which virtually the complete leadership graduated; leaving (mainly) talented underclassmen, two starters, a much maligned senior point (who might just have a terrific year...but no one can tell); a talented big girl who hasn't produced much yet and three gifted freshman, one advertised as a real stand-out (whom did I leave out)?

If this team survives to win the first bunch of games, then without a doubt Geno and friends are the greatest coaching staff in the history of the sport.

But I wonder what the bookmakers would say the odds are for that.

I'm looking forward to this season, as are many; not so much as a continuation of our dominating ways but as a object lesson in the parity which is obviously upon us and for the prospect of a multitude of thrilling games with no guaranteed outcomes as in the recent past; win or lose.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like Baylor being at 4. I think that there are 6 to 7 teams at that top that could all beat the others on any given day: UCONN, Notre Dame, Maryland, Louisville, Baylor, South Carolina, Texas. I may be wrong but I don't put Ohio State in that group.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It could be that some of these coaches think they can defeat UConn this year and it;s a bigger deal if they beat the top ranked team
I was thinking the same thing. :cool:

They get to knock off #1.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jordy, your argument can apply to all of the other teams too. No one has won or lost a game yet. This year's Baylor team didn't finish in the top 4. I understand your position, but if no one has played a game yet, why not pick up where we left off at the end of the season?
So your advocating
  1. UCONN
  2. Syracuse
  3. Oregon St
  4. Washington
  5. Texas
  6. Tennessee
  7. Stanford
  8. Baylor
????

I think your turban is too tight.

Reaction Score
I dont think Uconn should be #1, and i also think that Tenn should be in the top 5.

Reaction Score
1 Baylor
2 ND
3 S.C
4 Texas
5 Tenn
6 Uconn
7 Maryland
8 Louisville

It wont finish this way but.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It could be that some of these coaches think they can defeat UConn this year and it;s a bigger deal if they beat the top ranked team

I was thinking the same thing. :cool:
They get to knock off #1.

They would have to catch UCONN in NCAA tournament then because of the 32 Voters (coaches) only Jose Fernandez (USF) is on UCONN's schedule.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone seem to be trying to find some crazy reason they would pick UCONN #1? I think it is interesting that the coaches have more confidence in the quality of UCONN this year than many of the fans on this board do.

Reaction Score
This thought process befuddles me. If Lebron James had left Cleveland would you still have said that the Cavs must be rated the #1 team in the NBA to start the season simply because they won the title last year?
Yes, but only if James left the NBA.

Reaction Score
Sooooo we play 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 21. Not bad.
Rarely have seen any team in any sport play so many top teams. Certainly will be experienced team for playoffs.

Reaction Score
i know what U Conn has lost and how brutal their schedule is right off the top. i know that they have several unproven players who had to take a back seat to 3 All Americans and have a lot more on their plate and no one knows who will step up and who wont. They will have either a Freshman point guard or a player who played a different position running the point which will take some adjustments and could be a process.

They only have one true post player and she has yet to live up to expectations

But I have no problem making them #1 because they have earned it the last 4 years. To be the champ you have to beat the champ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll "take the bait"...and I even have that same "ND" insignia.

First, I really don't care for or take pre-season polls. They're good for websites to draw/drive traffic, but that's about it. Luckily, it's a long season and the early ones won't influence the end game much.

Now, in regards to "run the table" issue....

Geno has scheduled his team one heck of an opening stretch. Right out of the gate, you're at FSU and then Baylor comes in (good move on Kim's part, btw). And it continues from there.

There's obviously a boatload of talent returning to and joining the Huskies.There are also more than a few players moving into roles and/or responsibilities that those players may not be comfortable with, at least initially. As such, given the schedule, there could be a few hiccups along the way and those could result in losses.

My gut is that Geno -- to some degree -- does not care that much about an "L" here or there early on: that what makes you tougher makes you better. And the key is to keep ramping up to the end of the season. He wants "w's," but "W's" in the playoffs are the ones he really wants.

In a similar vein, do I think ND will go undefeated? They could. I'd rather have them get better as a team as the season goes on. If that takes some lessons learned along the way, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS