Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never thought that UConn would be preseason #1. In my mind this could be one of three
things:
1. UConn lost 3 super stars and people still think they are the best. What does that say about the rest of Women's college basketball?
2. It's a bigger story when team X beats the number "1" team with a 70 plus game win streak.
3. This is a "tip of the hat" to Geno

Reaction Score
Real conference? I didn't realize there was such a thing in WCBB - they all have one or two good teams at the top with the rest being garbage.
If the AAU was so great U Conn would not be begging to get into a power 5 conference. Therese a difference between 5 or 6 teams in the NCAA Tournament and 2 from a conference. Lets be honest if U Conn played just the AAC it would be boring wouldn't it ? Isn't it more fun beating a top ranked team by 30. I kow it usually doesn't matter who they play and it's usually the same results. But the name on the jersey makes it must see tv. If your playing Maryland or Baylor im there. But if your playing anyone but South Florida in the AAC unless your a U Conn fan it's like taking Nyquil . Snooze fest. Don't get me wrong i admire the talent . Just kind of feel sorry for the little guy when their getting destroyed like that.

Reaction Score
If the AAU was so great U Conn would not be begging to get into a power 5 conference. Therese a difference between 5 or 6 teams in the NCAA Tournament and 2 from a conference. Lets be honest if U Conn played just the AAC it would be boring wouldn't it ? Isn't it more fun beating a top ranked team by 30. I kow it usually doesn't matter who they play and it's usually the same results. But the name on the jersey makes it must see tv. If your playing Maryland or Baylor im there. But if your playing anyone but South Florida in the AAC unless your a U Conn fan it's like taking Nyquil . Snooze fest. Don't get me wrong i admire the talent . Just kind of feel sorry for the little guy when their getting destroyed like that.
The little guys getting destroyed today have to start somewhere and could be respectable tomorrow. UConn used to be that little guy that got destroyed game in game out.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll take the bait...and I even have that same "ND" insignia.

Geno has scheduled his team one heck of an opening stretch. Right out of the gate, you're at FSU and then Baylor comes in (good move on Kim's part, btw). And it continues from there.

There's obviously a boatload of talent returning to and joining the Huskies.There are also more than a few players moving into roles and/or responsibilities that those players may not be comfortable with, at least initially. As such, given the schedule, there could be a few hiccups along the way and those could result in losses.

My gut is that Geno -- to some degree -- does not care that much about an "L" here or there early on: that what makes you tougher makes you better. And the key is to keep ramping up to the end of the season. He wants "w's," but "W's" in the playoffs are the ones he really wants.

In a similar vein, do I think ND will go undefeated? They could. I'd rather have them get better as a team as the season goes on. If that takes some lessons learned along the way, so be it.
Bravo. Glad someone gets it. If people saw my previous posts they know i said they will be a Final Four team and maybe lose 2 games at the most. Some U Conn fans have gotten so use to not even losing a game that they get offended by the words 2 loses or Final Four. Especially if it's someone not from the same kennel.

Reaction Score
The little guys getting destroyed today have to start somewhere and could be respectable tomorrow. UConn used to be that little guy that got destroyed game in game out.
I agree. But hoops you know you would rather see your girls in a power 5. I think it's good for the AAC having them there in the fact it leads by example what these teams have to do to get to the next level. At the same time they know they will never win a conference title or tournament championship. It's like U Conn is Marsha and the rest of the AAC is Jan Brady. They want to see what it's like to be the popular girl to. And losing by 50 isn't fun for anyone other then the team giving the beat down.

Reaction Score
Well, we do have NCAA Women Basketball Tournament, and UConn does play the top teams in the country, Isn't it ???

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why does everyone seem to be trying to find some crazy reason they would pick UCONN #1? I think it is interesting that the coaches have more confidence in the quality of UCONN this year than many of the fans on this board do.

The coaches are going to respect the win streak and vote UCONN #1 until you lose a game. I like having UCONN at #1 because if Baylor were to steal one on the road on November 17 it will a bigger deal than if UCONN is ranked 4th or 5th.

UCONN is the only program that has players who have won a championship. Until a team gives voters a reason to drop UCONN in the polls they should remain #1.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions. Im wearing my welcome out why ? Because i know what U Conn has lost and how brutal their schedule is right off the top.
No it is because you have a passive aggressive style of provoking, prodding & insulting and then playing "misunderstood" victim. Dude... just be more direct in your insults and live with the responses. I would have more respect for you that way. Remember you promised to go away a long time ago.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The coaches are going to respect the win streak and vote UCONN #1 until you lose a game. I like having UCONN at #1 because if Baylor were to steal one on the road on November 17 it will a bigger deal than if UCONN is ranked 4th or 5th.

UCONN is the only program that has players who have won a championship. Until a team gives voters a reason to drop UCONN in the polls they should remain #1.

You get it.

Reaction Score
i know that they have several unproven players who had to take a back seat to 3 All Americans

Despite your opinion, playing behind the top 3 draft picks isn't evidence of incompetence. Try looking at the Irish players who played behind Mabrey & Cable, 2 players who went undrafted. And as far as unproven players, try Patberg, Young and Boley. Notre dame does nothing this year without their contributions and their experience is literally zero, but reading the ND board you would think they are on the short list for the Wooden Award. Finally, didn't Notre Dame make the FF 3 years ago with a freshman pg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well, we do have NCAA Women Basketball Tournament, and UConn does play the top teams in the country, Isn't it ???
Yes they do. And they have the luxury of playing anyone that is willing to play them. It probably doesn't affect the women as much as the other teams from the university. So if your a U Conn fan in more then just women's basketball it's probably even more important to you to be in a Power 5 Conference. Id like to see them in one. Especially the ACC. Id love to see the men and womens basketball games and i go to a lot of volleyball, baseball ,hockey and softball games so it be fun to see them play the Irish. Maybe the football team can even up the record as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First, I'm surprised. I thought we would be 3rd or 4th, behind ND, Baylor, and maybe SC.

Second, I bet Geno is unhappy. He lost a motivating tool.

Third, this is the coaches poll. They know. This shows the respect that they have for Geno and the program.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This thought process befuddles me. If Lebron James had left Cleveland would you still have said that the Cavs must be rated the #1 team in the NBA to start the season simply because they won the title last year?
It would depend on if you were a Cavelier fan or not.
As I said, I completely understand your position. Neither of these teams have won anything yet. The LeBron reference has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Baylor lost a game last year that they were supposed to win. Win some games first, then we can have further dialogue on Baylor being #1. I'm from Missouri.

Reaction Score
Despite your opinion, playing behind the top 3 draft picks isn't evidence of incompetence. Try looking at the Irish players who played behind Mabrey & Cable, 2 players who went undrafted. And as far as unproven players, try Patberg, Young and Boley. Notre dame does nothing this year without their contributions and their experience is literally zero, but reading the ND board you would think they are on the short list for the Wooden Award. Finally, didn't Notre Dame make the FF 3 years ago with a freshman pg?
No one is saying these things cant and dont happen that you speak of. Im just saying there are a few question marks that need to be taken into consideration with your team where usually there isn't . All teams hype their players up. We are high on Young and Boley just like you are high on Danger with good reason. I just think there are to many things to over come for them to run the table. Will see what happens.

Reaction Score
I honestly think Baylor might be the best team . Last year we knew U Conn would win it all. This year those same 4 #1 seeds are in my opinion the 4 best teams . Only this time its a crap shoot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It would depend on if you were a Cavelier fan or not.
As I said, I completely understand your position. Neither of these teams have won anything yet. The LeBron reference has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Baylor lost a game last year that they were supposed to win. Win some games first, then we can have further dialogue on Baylor being #1. I'm from Missouri.

Thank goodness the UCONN /Baylor game takes place in a few weeks. Whichever team loses will be removed from the #1 debate for the majority of the season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I honestly think Baylor might be the best team . Last year we knew U Conn would win it all. This year those same 4 #1 seeds are in my opinion the 4 best teams . Only this time its a crap shoot.
I think Baylor has the talent to be #1 but they have yet to prove anything.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Why does everyone seem to be trying to find some crazy reason they would pick UCONN #1? I think it is interesting that the coaches have more confidence in the quality of UCONN this year than many of the fans on this board do.
It's actually a belief in Geno and coaches and their ability to get the most out of their players. If this was an end of year prediction I'd agree. But this team is going to have growing pains.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Based on what Tenn should be in the top 5 ?
Tenn cannot be better than last year, and they lost 14 games last years.
Yes I know the team had some struggles. But made a good run at the end of the year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank goodness the UCONN /Baylor game takes place in a few weeks. Whichever team loses will be removed from the #1 debate for the majority of the season.
Well certainly for Baylor who typically won't play another significant team until 7 games later and then after that 12 games after. By Oklahoma at the end of January they could well be 23-0. It's a good thing they play Texas twice. Of all the top 5 teams they will typically be the least tested by the time Dallas rolls around. Whereas Texas will be well hardened.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well certainly for Baylor who typically won't play another significant team until 7 games later and then after that 12 games after. By Oklahoma at the end of January they could well be 23-0. It's a good thing they play Texas twice. Of all the top 5 teams they will typically be the least tested by the time Dallas rolls around. Whereas Texas will be well hardened.

That's a relief. Now I can not worry about winning a championship and watch everyone else fight it out.

Reaction Score
1 Baylor
2 ND
3 S.C
4 Texas
5 Tenn
6 Uconn
7 Maryland
8 Louisville

It wont finish this way but.[/QUOT

Tenn in the top 5??? Might I ask why? Top 15 for sure but idk about too 5 or even top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom