Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Preseason Coaches' Poll - UConn #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
They would have to catch UCONN in NCAA tournament then because of the 32 Voters (coaches) only Jose Fernandez (USF) is on UCONN's schedule.

FWIW, USF is #26 in the poll, despite losing three starting players, including Courtney Williams.

Nice to see USF is starting to gain some respect from the WBB coaches, despite losing some very key players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
FWIW, USF is #26 in the poll, despite losing three starting players, including Courtney Williams.

Nice to see USF is starting to gain some respect from the WBB coaches, despite losing some very key players.

If the AAC is earnest about gaining stature and respect in WCBB, it needs more than one team to carry the torch, and champion it's cause and virtuality. If USF can win 25-28 games this year, and go deep in the NCAA tournament, THAT will move the needle, and raise some eyebrows with respect to the legitimacy of the conference.

The AAC (aside from UConn) is viewed as conference of "mid-majors". Only 5 teams out of the 11 (UConn, USF, Temple, Memphis, & Tulane) finished last year above .500. Since basketball programs are tied to the fortunes of their football teams, it appears that UConn will remain in the AAC for a while. Not only does USF need to step up, but 2-3 other programs as well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I find it funny that most of you think that players have to be over 6'5" to be a great rebounder. Griner was 6'8" and was never the best rebounder on the floor. A great rebounder has determination more than height. I don't see Collier, gabby or kls having any problems rebounding.

A great example to prove your point is Baylor's Nina Davis. She's only 5'11', yet she is one the team's leading rebounders. Height aside, it also helps if you have a nose for the ball, i.e. Nneka Ogwumike. Davis does. This is a skill that can't be taught. It's like common sense, you either have it, or you don't.

Carnac

Reaction Score
While providing a good topic for discussion, I don't get wrapped up in early season polls, especially before teams have played any games. The one at the end of the year is the one that counts anyway.

My feelings exactly!!!!!!! :cool:

Reaction Score
True, but UConn has several more potential EDD's waiting in the wings to take their place. Delaware didn't have any EDD's on deck. EDD was a great player on a very average mid-major team. EDD was a major D-1 talent that should not have been there. She dropped in their lap. (we all know the story) C'mon E.T. (I'll just use "E.T.". I don't call or refer to anyone one as trash) where did she originally commit to? That's right, a MAJOR D-1 program. Most mid-major programs can't compete for players with her talent and skill level, you know that. As far as Delaware is concerned, EDD was the "Alpha & the Omega". She was the best player that program will ever have. Players with her size and skill set want to go to (and are coveted by) MAJOR D-1 programs. I guarantee that Delaware is not a desired destination of any recruit ranked in the top 25 in their class. Nice try with the mic drop, but it can't apply here. :)
And if she stayed at Connecticut it would have been 8 NCs in a row with Baylor still at 1 and Texas A&M at Zero!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
If the AAC is earnest about gaining stature and respect in WCBB, it needs more than one team to carry the torch, and champion it's cause and virtuality. If USF can win 25-28 games this year, and go deep in the NCAA tournament, THAT will move the needle, and raise some eyebrows with respect to the legitimacy of the conference.

The AAC (aside from UConn) is viewed as conference of "mid-majors". Only 5 teams out of the 11 (UConn, USF, Temple, Memphis, & Tulane) finished last year above .500. Since basketball programs are tied to the fortunes of their football teams, it appears that UConn will remain in the AAC for a while. Not only does USF need to step up, but 2-3 other programs as well.

I think it would be quite a stretch to believe that USF could win 25-28 games THIS season, considering we have six new players and Laura F is out indefinitely with a foot injury and might need to take a medical red shirt. It will take a little time for all the new pieces to come together and that will likely result in some more OOC losses than is our custom .

Considering all the young talent (on paper), I think that USF could realistically hit that mark next season.

Reaction Score
Uconn will have to deal with the bigger teams but those teams will have to deal with the Huskies quickness and athleticism. The Core Four stand at Nurse 6ft, Williams 6ft, Samuelson 6ft 3in and Collier 6ft 1in and great athletes. 2003 and 2004 they had 1 player at 6ft 3 in(Jessica Moore) and still won 2 NCs. They beat UCSB who had a 6ft 8in center. They beat Stevens and Schrieber from Texas in 03 FF and then Snow, Robinson (both 6ft 5in) and Glory Johnson from Tenn. Uconn outrebounded by 18 in game. This years team is more talented than that team except for Taurasi of course. It will be interesting when they play Baylor because Uconn has lost 18 games total at Gampel Pavillion opened with over 300 wins!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me seeUConn has KLS number 1 player out of HS, Dangerfield number 2 player out of HS, Butler Big East FOY, Collier top 5 out of HS, Kia Nurse Olympian, and some of you think what about UConn. Sounds like a pretty good lineup on paper. The question this season is how good will they be. Can they lose games. Yep. This year Yep. Some of you think they can lose 4-8 games. Maybe. I dont think so. I hear UConn lacks height. Butler is 6'5 KLS is 6'3. Both can score and rebound.

How many of the top 5 teams in this seasons polls reached the FF last season when they were better? Yeah we lost our Big 3 which allowed us to win most games by 20+ and most games were over in the first half. So how are our opponets going to make up 20 pts with who were starting? Guys come on UConn is really really good this season the only difference is we have been out of this world good the past 4 seasons. If the coaches rank us number 1 preseason relax. Even if we lose some games early we are just to to good.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let me seeUConn has KLS number 1 player out of HS, Dangerfield number 2 player out of HS, Butler Big East FOY, Collier top 5 out of HS, Kia Nurse Olympian, and some of you think what about UConn. Sounds like a pretty good lineup on paper. The question this season is how good will they be. Can they lose games. Yep. This year Yep. Some of you think they can lose 4-8 games. Maybe. I dont think so. I hear UConn lacks height. Butler is 6'5 KLS is 6'3. Both can score and rebound.

How many of the top 5 teams in this seasons polls reached the FF last season when they were better? Yeah we lost our Big 3 which allowed us to win most games by 20+ and most games were over in the first half. So how are our opponets going to make up 20 pts with who were starting? Guys come on UConn is really really good this season the only difference is we have been out of this world good the past 4 seasons. If the coaches rank us number 1 preseason relax. Even if we lose some games early we are just to to good.

Tonyc, We've been reading the same tea leaves, and getting the same "vibe" from this team. I've been suggesting the same exact thing all summer. Another poster suggested very early this past summer that with the departure of the BIG 3, just means that UConn will win games by 10-15 points instead of 40. It sounds good in theory, but we'll have to wait and see if that is the case or not.

A poster mentioned that UConn does not have any returning All-Americans on their roster this season. This is true, BUT.......UConn is the only team that has returning players on it's roster with multiple national championship game experience.

Saniya Chong
has 3 championship rings (experience). No other player on any D-1 team has 1. The raters/voters failed to take that into consideration when casting their votes. :confused:

We agree that UConn has talented players (Collier/Williams) that have had to play a supporting role up to now. Now they get to spread their wings, (with a bit more leash from Geno) and showcase their talents and skills in a starting role.

Not only do I not expect UConn to go undefeated this season, I don't look for any team to do so either.
Going undefeated is extremely difficult. It's like a pitcher throwing a "perfect game" in baseball, you can't have any off nights.

You must bring your A++ game with you every night, all season long. As we all know, UConn is the only D-1 women's program to do it more than once.

The following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):
Source: Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Puhleeze, USA Today looks at last year's results and repeats them placing Uconn at the top of the heap. Then a loaded Muffet talks "parity." This ain't rocket science folks, the Huskies have to prove themselves less three All Americans. Sure, it COULD happen, but more thoughtful prognasticators might have produced a more cautious list. And why wasn't Syracuse listed as number two?
So much for any thoughts that UConn might be an "underdog" this year.

NCAA Women's Basketball - Coaches Poll | USA Today Sports

View attachment 16391
w

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
DeShields hopes to bring championship mindset back to Lady Vols
DeShields hopes to bring back championship mind set to Lady Vols.
“I want to be thought of the as the player who helped put Tennessee back on the map,” DeShields said. “Not as if we fell off at any point, we’ve never fallen off. But, we have yet to get to the Final Four, we have yet to get a championship in the post-Pat era.

“I want them to remember me as someone who sacrificed and (did) her all to make Tennessee relevant again in a National Championship conversation.”

Reaction Score
I kind of liked being the underdog this year...it might have taken some pressure off the younger kids....having said that, most good teams are going to get up for playing UCONN regardless of where we rank
I'm with you, Mate, and I hope the coaches push that approach. This team is defending itself and uconn tradition, but, on paper it's not the nation's best team and that label is ceremonial not rational. Geno's phone lighting up with teams asking to play the Huskies is proof of that.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Puhleeze, USA Today looks at last year's results and repeats them placing Uconn at the top of the heap. Then a loaded Muffet talks "parity." This ain't rocket science folks, the Huskies have to prove themselves less three All Americans. Sure, it COULD happen, but more thoughtful prognasticators might have produced a more cautious list. And why wasn't Syracuse listed as number two?

w

First off,

tumblr_o979c8DSkZ1u1ljrzo2_540.gif

Second, it's the coaches' poll. It's published by USA Today but they have nothing to do with the actual order of the rankings. Granted, these coaches polls are probably filled out by an assistant or something, but it's still one of the 2 recognized major polls.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
First off,

tumblr_o979c8DSkZ1u1ljrzo2_540.gif

Second, it's the coaches' poll. It's published by USA Today but they have nothing to do with the actual order of the rankings. Granted, these coaches polls are probably filled out by an assistant or something, but it's still one of the 2 recognized major polls.
LOL this gif.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DeShields hopes to bring championship mindset back to Lady Vols
DeShields hopes to bring back championship mind set to Lady Vols.
“I want to be thought of the as the player who helped put Tennessee back on the map,” DeShields said. “Not as if we fell off at any point, we’ve never fallen off. But, we have yet to get to the Final Four, we have yet to get a championship in the post-Pat era.

“I want them to remember me as someone who sacrificed and (did) her all to make Tennessee relevant again in a National Championship conversation.”

She can hope and/or want anything she wants, it still ain't happening.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Tonyc, We've been reading the same tea leaves, and getting the same "vibe" from this team. I've been suggesting the same exact thing all summer. Another poster suggested very early this past summer that with the departure of the BIG 3, just means that UConn will win games by 10-15 points instead of 40. It sounds good in theory, but we'll have to wait and see if that is the case or not.

A poster mentioned that UConn does not have any returning All-Americans on their roster this season. This is true, BUT..UConn is the only team that has returning players on it's roster with multiple national championship game experience.

Saniya Chong
has 3 championship rings (experience). No other player on any D-1 team has 1. The raters/voters failed to take that into consideration when casting their votes. :confused:

We agree that UConn has talented players (Collier/Williams) that have had to play a supporting role up to now. Now they get to spread their wings, (with a bit more leash from Geno) and showcase their talents and skills in a starting role.

Not only do I not expect UConn to go undefeated this season, I don't look for any team to do so either.
Going undefeated is extremely difficult. It's like a pitcher throwing a "perfect game" in baseball, you can't have any off nights.

You must bring your A++ game with you every night, all season long. As we all know, UConn is the only D-1 women's program to do it more than once.

The following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):
Source: Wikipedia

I like our chances.:)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Puhleeze, USA Today looks at last year's results and repeats them placing Uconn at the top of the heap. Then a loaded Muffet talks "parity." This ain't rocket science folks, the Huskies have to prove themselves less three All Americans. Sure, it COULD happen, but more thoughtful prognosticators might have produced a more cautious list. And why wasn't Syracuse listed as number two?

w

We agree on two points!!!
1. More thoughtful prognosticators might have produced a more cautious list.
2. Why wasn't Syracuse listed as number two?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
A poster mentioned that UConn does not have any returning All-Americans on their roster this season. This is true, BUT..UConn is the only team that has returning players on it's roster with multiple national championship game experience.

Saniya Chong

UConn is not the only team that is returning players with multiple national championship game experience. Notre Dame has Lindsey Allen who played in the championship games in 2014 and 2015. Notre Dame and Syracuse also have multiple players with some championship game experience (but not multiple games).

Saniya Chong may have 3 rings, but she didn't enter the game in one of those years (2015). In fact, her championship experience consists of 43 seconds at the end of 2014 and 3 minutes in last year's win over Syracuse. Her cumulative stats in championship games: 4 minutes game time, no shots of any type, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover. That's not a significant amount of experience.

UConn should have a great team, and although relatively inexperienced, the players in Geno's rotation will get significant minutes and thus good experience this season. I expect the Huskies to be formidable by March, but I think you may overstating the team's experience heading into this season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn is not the only team that is returning players with multiple national championship game experience. Notre Dame has Lindsey Allen who played in the championship games in 2014 and 2015. Notre Dame and Syracuse also have multiple players with some championship game experience (but not multiple games).

Saniya Chong may have 3 rings, but she didn't enter the game in one of those years (2015). In fact, her championship experience consists of 43 seconds at the end of 2014 and 3 minutes in last year's win over Syracuse. Her cumulative stats in championship games: 4 minutes game time, no shots of any type, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover. That's not a significant amount of experience.

UConn should have a great team, and although relatively inexperienced, the players in Geno's rotation will get significant minutes and thus good experience this season. I expect the Huskies to be formidable by March, but I think you may overstating the team's experience heading into this season.

I stand corrected. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score

As for overstating their experience, I don't think I am, we'll see. I'm basing my take on the number of returning players (7) on UConn's 2016-2017 roster that were on the team last year, regardless of the amount of playing time they had. They were on the team, practiced and prepared to play, and sat in on team meetings, and were in the game (on the bench), etc.

I'm saying these players know what it takes to get there, as does Syracuse, Washington and Oregon State. The thought I was attempting to share was there's no substitute for experience. Watching the game on TV is not like being there in uniform. Most teams that UConn will play this year won't have that many players with FF experience.

Saniya Chong has 3 championship rings. Gabby & Nurse have 2, Napheesa and Samuelson have 1. Two of these players were starters, the other two were the 6th & 7th man off the bench = lots of significant FF playing time. No other player on any D-1 team for the 2016-2017 season has any rings. I didn't want to go there, but.......I'm not overstating these numbers, they are all factual. BTW....all of UConn's coaches have multiple rings and years of FF experience as well.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
She can hope and/or want anything she wants, it still ain't happening.

Fortunately, for Deshields, she's healthy enough to try. That, alone, will be a major difference in what she's able to bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom