Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you forget the lineup of Bazz and Boat both small and much smaller than this current lineup that UConn will have this upcoming season
That doesn't matter. The defense is completely different as is the game. I fully agree that our roster as proposed isn't small. But I think Boat/Bazz sized backcourt would be a real problem with the way we play defense and offense now. The "positionless" game requires bigger guards and in some cases, smaller forwards (unless super skilled bigger guys) than in the past.

Reaction Score
It's not that it's not clear, it's that it's a bit like being at Woodstock and being most excited to see Quill and the Keef Hartley Band.
It’s a lineup that includes the 3 freshmen and arguably the 3 best athletes between Abraham/Solo/Samson. I don’t think it’s going to be the best lineup but, to me, is the most exciting.

Reaction Score
It’s a lineup that includes the 3 freshmen and arguably the 3 best athletes between Abraham/Solo/Samson. I don’t think it’s going to be the best lineup but, to me, is the most exciting.
Oh it would be exciting, for sure. Some of that excitement Hurley is looking to avoid! It would be a wild and crazy 5 though!! Petal to the metal!

Reaction Score
McNeeley will definitely start. Too much raw scoring talent and size. I have Abraham as my sleeper pick. Too much talent to only get 5-10 minutes a game. Expect a bigger role for him as the season emerges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Aidan 22 / Ball 18
Liam 25 / Stew 10 / Ross 5
Alex 30 / Stew 10
Reed 22 / Samson 18

Karaban will be 32-33 and no way Stewart only gets 20 mpg.
And Nowell isn't getting 15mpg unless there are injuries in the back court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 103018

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd point out that the lineup on the scoreboard in this graphic is Diarra, Mahaney, Stewart, Karaban, Johnson
Of course, it also shows Paige Bueckers so…

Reaction Score
Karaban was at 31mpg last year and we are much deeper this year including his backup expected to make a big jump. you said yourself stew will get more than 20mpg. i think our borderline 5* frosh is getting 15mpg. who you taking minutes from? let's see yours so we can all have a laugh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it’s fun to speculate but honestly feels ridiculous to try and guess minutes. This is one of those things where you just trust the staff to figure it out and enjoy the ride. No one here has more than an open practice and a couple IG videos to go on.

Reaction Score
I think you need to shave a couple of minutes off of AK if you want to have enough minutes to allocate to the other wings

Reaction Score
The guards are a conundrum: Diarra is not a scorer, and Ball is a stud, but lnconsistent.
Tape suggests Nowell and Mahaney can handle the point well, and they are great shooters.
With Karaban and McNeeley, they would give you four 40% 3-pt shooters, with two sllck point guards.
Yes, Diarra made 35% of his 3's last year, but he shot less than two per game--Mahaney shot seven per game.
Hass is a great defender, and Solo should become one, so they'll get plenty of minutes, starting or not.
I see a nine man rotation, plus Ross and Abraham very capable of stepping up in case of injury--what depth.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
I'd like to go a little deep on players by position if it helps the total understanding here.

Note: I live in Jersey City and for almost 18 years lived less than a block from St. Anthony and saw 5-6 home games each year so would see, but did not interact with, Bob, Bobby, Dan, and Andrew. That said, I played Tennis for UConn late 80s into the 90s and my very own couch did a 360 vertically the night we beat Clemson via Burrell ----------------> George <-> Swish.

5: candidates: Samson Johnson, Tarris Reed Jr, Youssouf Singare

Samson Johnson
  • started for injured Clingan vs St. Johns, Depaul, Butler, Xavier, Georgetown, Crieghton, Villanova,
  • the high scorer vs. St. John's 12/23/23
  • post season was more than capable off the bench with double digit minutes except in the final
  • 2x championship experience
  • gives fouls to easy
  • does not have defensive footwork to an acceptable level

Tarris Reed Jr
  • started as a Sophomore after Hunter Dickenson transferred to Kansas.
  • led the team in scoring multiple times
  • fouled out of 2 games last year
  • when McDaniel was not playing, Reed Jr was the go to scorer but faced double-teams as coach's could see this a mile away and days before. Doubtful he will be double-teamed playing for UConn
  • FG % could use work for big man (51.8%)
  • poor FT % (51.7%)
  • prefers to play the 4 and was recruited as one.

Youssouf Singare
  • is 100% from the line (yes, 2-2 but still counts)
  • has never played double digit minutes in a NCAA game (avg last year was 2.0 mpg)
  • has taken 3 FGs in his career

There are two likelihoods here:
1) Reed Jr, and Johnson split fairly even minutes, game depending (fouls, who is hot, defensive assignments, etc)
2) Singare will move from 2.0 minutes to possibly 7-10 minutes
3) We could see Willis, Jr. at the 4 and Johnson at the 5 if Karaban gets into foul trouble.

4 candidates: Alex Karaban, Isaiah Abraham, Tarris Reed Jr.

Alex Karaban
  • defacto starter and go-to scorer
  • 2x champioship experience
  • started in 2023-2024, played significantly in 2022-2023
  • Could improve 3PT FG %
  • not the most athletic PF

Isaiah Abraham
  • so far, really great in practices
  • 90th nationally by 247, but 76th nationally on their composite - 0.9698 suggests he was better than the 90th player.
  • was not a top 10 player in HS, so is not guaranteed to start
  • fits more at the 3 (6-7, 205)

Tarris Reed, Jr.
+ played Freshman year at the 4
- played Sophomore year at the 5

Nominally, we will have Karaban start, and if tired/fouls, we may see Reed Jr, but more likely we get 2 3s

3 candidates: Jaylin Stewart, Liam McNeeley, Jayden Ross, Isaiah Abraham

Jaylin Stewart
  • Playing time increased over the season last year, and was a hero of the BE tourney.
  • CBS is listing as a starter
  • Big time 3PT game - so far
  • Played multiple games >9 min per game including 5 NCAA tourney games
  • expected by many to make a huge jump
  • sample size is somewhat small
  • not sure if he can become a taller, more athletic Spencer no if that is fair to ask

Liam McNeeley
  • #10 recruit
  • Shot > 40% 3PT @ Montverde in NIBC and EYBL seasons.
- not super athletic

Jayden Ross
+ 2x championship experience
-has no played significant minutes

Isaiah Abraham
  • fits better at the 3 than 4 (6'7 205 is more in line with the other 3s)
  • great training camp by most accounts
- ranked 90th, but could see > minutes than Ross depending on Hurley and co's take on the 3 depth chart any given day.

Outcomes: We're going to see a lot of Stewart and a lot of McNeeley for sure. If Karaban gets into foul trouble or needs a break, Hurley could put both Stewart and McNeeley with Reed Jr or Johnson at center.

Unlikely that Ross/Abraham exceed 12 min per game

2 candidates: Aidan Maheney, Solomon Ball

Aidan Mahaney
  • 2 year starter @ St. Mary's
  • avg 12 pts per game
  • did not make a Freshman to Sophomore leap (slight stat regression)
  • tends to play down to his opponent

Solomon Ball
  • Played meaningful minutes as a starter last year when Castle was out
  • Played in 7/8 NCAA tourney games (x Alabama)

Outcomes: this is a toss up: Maheney was a starter for 2 years while Ball was a starter for 10 or so games and did not put up Maheney numbers. I think they split 50/50 in this role but as we saw last year, Newton/Castle/Spencer or Newton/Diarra/Castle so we could see 3 guards again and Ball and Maheney would work well.

1 candidates: Hassan Diarra, Ahmad Nowell

Hassan Diarra
  • BE 6th man of the year 2023-24
  • played double-digits in every game last year including NCAA tourney
  • CBS lists as starting
  • (19.3 min, 6.1 pts, 2.4 assists per game last year)
- height (6'2" is not blocking a lot of 3s on the perimeter)

Ahmad Nowell
  • Excellent training camp by all accounts
  • 33rd best player 247 sports
  • height (6'0")
  • no college experience

Outcomes: Diarra starts with Nowell being first to spell him (rest/fouls) but we would reasonably see both on the court at the same time as Hurley had Diarra with Newton and Castle/Spencer for multiple minutes last year.

All feedback is welcomed.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I'd like to go a little deep on players by position if it helps the total understanding here.

Note: I live in Jersey City and for almost 18 years lived less than a block from St. Anthony and saw 5-6 home games each year so would see, but did not interact with, Bob, Bobby, Dan, and Andrew. That said, I played Tennis for UConn late 80s into the 90s and my very own couch did a 360 vertically the night we beat Clemson via Burrell ----------------> George <-> Swish.

Samson Johnson
  • started for injured Clingan vs St. Johns, Depaul, Butler, Xavier, Georgetown, Crieghton, Villanova,
  • post season was more than capable off the bench with double digit minutes except in the final
  • gives fouls to easy

Tarris Reed Jr
  • when McDaniel was not playing, Reed Jr was the go to scorer but faced double-teams as coach's could see this a mile away and days before. Doubtful he will be double-teamed playing for UConn
  • poor FT % (51.7%)

Youssouf Singare
  • has never played double digit minutes in a NCAA game (avg last year was 2.0 mpg)

1) Reed Jr, and Johnson split fairly even minutes, game depending (fouls, who is hot, defensive assignments, etc)
3) We could see Willis, Jr. at the 4 and Johnson at the 5 if Karaban gets into foul trouble.

Alex Karaban
  • Could improve 3PT FG %

Isaiah Abraham
  • 90th nationally by 247, but 76th nationally on their composite - 0.9698 suggests he was better than the 90th player.

Tarris Reed, Jr.

Nominally, we will have Karaban start, and if tired/fouls, we may see Reed Jr, but more likely we get 2 3s

Jaylin Stewart
  • Playing time increased over the season last year, and was a hero of the BE tourney.
  • not sure if he can become a taller, more athletic Spencer no if that is fair to ask

Liam McNeeley
  • #10 recruit
- not super athletic

Jayden Ross

Isaiah Abraham
- ranked 90th, but could see > minutes than Ross depending on Hurley and co's take on the 3 depth chart any given day.

Outcomes: We're going to see a lot of Stewart and a lot of McNeeley for sure. If Karaban gets into foul trouble or needs a break, Hurley could put both Stewart and McNeeley with Reed Jr or Johnson at center.

Aidan Mahaney
  • avg 12 pts per game

Solomon Ball

Outcomes: this is a toss up: Maheney was a starter for 2 years while Ball was a starter for 10 or so games and did not put up Maheney numbers. I think they split 50/50 in this role but as we saw last year, Newton/Castle/Spencer or Newton/Diarra/Castle so we could see 3 guards again and Ball and Maheney would work well.

Hassan Diarra
  • CBS lists as starting

Ahmad Nowell
  • height (6'0")
  • no college experience

Outcomes: Diarra starts with Nowell being first to spell him (rest/fouls) but we would reasonably see both on the court at the same time as Hurley had Diarra with Newton and Castle/Spencer for multiple minutes last year.

Not sure if you took the time to read through all the threads. See by your profile it says you joined the BY yesterday. Guessing this may not be the first time you knew about it. If not welcome to the main topic other than recruits that we have spent most of our time debating since the roster was finalized.

I see you took a bit different approach as you just made points on each position without sharing who you think will start.

From what I have read the most common lineup includes Mahaney in the first five. If that happens then my guess is:

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed Jr

Some have predicted McNeeley may start at the two.

Bottom line IMO there are two for sure starters Karaban and McNeeley. Maybe Diarra. After that it could be different every game while the coaching staff tries to find the right rotations.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
I had an awful time joining - waiting to receive the confirmation email so I was reading the forum for months and finally it clicked to try a d different email so that worked.

I tend to agree with Diarra/Maheney/McNeeley/Karaban/Reed Jr seems like the most logical starting 5.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you took the time to read through all the threads. See by your profile it says you joined the BY yesterday. Guessing this may not be the first time you knew about it. If not welcome to the main topic other than recruits that we have spent most of our time debating since the roster was finalized.

I see you took a bit different approach as you just made points on each position without sharing who you think will start.

From what I have read the most common lineup includes Mahaney in the first five. If that happens then my guess is:

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed Jr

Some have predicted McNeeley may start at the two.

Bottom line IMO there are two for sure starters Karaban and McNeeley. Maybe Diarra. After that it could be different every game while the coaching staff tries to find the right rotations.

Why is McNeeley a guaranteed starter?

Reaction Score

Samson Johnson
  • gives fouls to easy

Tarris Reed Jr
  • poor FT % (51.7%)

Youssouf Singare

Alex Karaban
  • Could improve 3PT FG %

Isaiah Abraham

Tarris Reed, Jr.

Jaylin Stewart

Liam McNeeley
  • #10 recruit
- not super athletic

Jayden Ross

Isaiah Abraham

Aidan Mahaney
  • avg 12 pts per game

Solomon Ball

Hassan Diarra
  • CBS lists as starting

Ahmad Nowell
  • height (6'0")
  • no college experience

Ok I’ll say it “What you talking about Willis?”

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Why is McNeeley a guaranteed starter?
Just based on what I have read as prevailing opinion. I completely understand the counterpoint. We have a ton of 6’7” talent and then we have four guards who are under 6’4” tall.

I thought McNeeley might start at the two guard but again prevailing (expert) opinion is that Mahaney and McNeeley will start.

In the end, I am only guessing and my comment was based on what has been published on some of the expert sites that may not know as much about the talent of Stewart and Ross as some of the regular posters on this board.

Ross to me is the only 6’7” player we have who seems to have the position athleticism and handle to really be an effective guard. But we have really never seen him handle the ball while being covered by a very good defender who picked him up three quarter court and made him work really hard to get where he wants.

Look in the end there are no right answers. But again only in my opinion AK is obviously a lock and I think McNeeley is too good a player and shooter not to start. Having AK and Liam as floor spacers will allow more creative combinations at the guard position.

When you have ten players that if split could create a competitive and more than likely top twenty team makes this conversation circular until we start the season.

And as mentioned, I know there a very good arguments to start Stewart but by all accounts Liam appears to be a one and done player. As a freshman Stewart was a role player who kept on getting better on a national championship team. But as a freshman at this point he was not as good as McNeeley.

Also think about Castle he was rated a bit lower than McNeeley and honestly IMO that early season injury set him back enough that we really did not see him at full capacity until the last month of the season and he was terrific and easily won FOY in the BE playing at less than 100%. I wonder how good a season he would have had if he never had the minor injury.

But we have a great staff and am confident than when they rolled out the balls for the first practice Danny probably send something along the lines of nothing is guaranteed each of you will earn every game minute you get.

I think he and the staff is best in class at communicating with players about what they need to do on the court in practice and when they get game time and then coaching them up all year and if they hit the expected targets they see game minutes. If they do not they are shown and why it is explained and then the coaching staff does everything they can to get the player to hit those marks.

I feel this way because we have some elite level talent that did not go portaling. I mean how many schools do you think tried to pry Solo, Stewart and Ross away during the off season yet they all thought staying was a better choice.

Some of it I think has to do with potentially being part of a historic three peat but 19 year olds at least most of them are not thinking legacy they are thinking get me on the court so I can show the NBA scouts what I can do.

Imagine being Ross and knowing NBA scouts are asking about you after attending practices and then not even sniffing the floor. Yet I never heard he was thinking about leaving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom