Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies

Reaction Score
Spent some time watching AM’s film last night. The thing to really like is the TNewt mold of him, where he can create and find space off the dribble. He squares up great, never off balance. He has a great little cross over that he uses to jig his defender to find a lane, and he keeps it low. Has a nice pull up, and left hand.

Also watched the Grand Canyon tape, which was a rough game for him. While he’s crafty doesn’t have that “alpha” feel like Cam had. He had a poor shooting game overall against some really good athletes on GC. Also got taken hard defensively a couple times, playing matador.

I still have my reservations, will stay optimistic. I’m just not sure his physicality will stand up against better regular competition in a league they truly let them play. My concern is also is if his offensive craftiness is enough to dispel some of his defensive gaps. He’s just not a big dude, and not exceptionally explosive/athletic. He’ll be heavy smarts and skill. If anything he strikes me as a fit for a shooting PG, as has a nice handle and a really nice eye for the open cutter.

That 2G spot is going to be interesting as we theoritically have multiple options there depending on what combo Hurley sees working best:

Mahaney
Ball
Nowell
Ross
McNeely

I can see any one of those guys paired with Hassan depending on matchup, as all can handle and shoot.

I can't see a world where Ross is playing the 2G. He's a 3, maybe even a 4 if we need him in a pinch. Doesn't have the handles to play the 2

Reaction Score
hard to know until we see them play since we saw so little of him last year but the one thing that has stood out to me about Ross in all of the summer practice clips either dedicated solely to him or the other players was he was doing alot of ballhandling and passing out of high ball screens. basically being used as a big guard.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
That's the thing we have Stewart and Ross at 6'7" and within 10 lbs of each other by ESPN listing as froshs, but maybe one gained an inch or 5 lbs of muscle.

Again, we saw 3 Guards often with Newton, Diarra, Spencer, Castle all getting minutes and early games due to Castle, we got Ball and late season games we got more Stewart.

Stewart looked more capable at a 2 and overall defense but we have not seen Ross much so yes, let's wait until the season starts and we can judge then.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
hard to know until we see them play since we saw so little of him last year but the one thing that has stood out to me about Ross in all of the summer practice clips either dedicated solely to him or the other players was he was doing alot of ballhandling and passing out of high ball screens. basically being used as a big guard.
I remember thinking this as well. He came into UConn with a spot up shooter rep, but most of his practice highlights involve handling.

Reaction Score
We have four guards, he's not playing there; the question is, how do he and Abraham crash what is already a nine man rotation without them? Ross has by all reports had a great summer, but how does he exceed minimal minutes?

Reaction Score
I read a story a year or so ago that said that before Jaden shot up in height he was playing as a point guard. Just sayin, he has a bigger on court skillset than we have seen in his limited playing time.
Ross began his high school career as just a 5-foot-8 freshman, but has grown to 6-foot-7 in the last two-and-a-half years.

Physically, it’s very possible he’s still growing. Even if not, he’s clearly still just growing into his body after having sprouted up so quickly in recent years, and yet already exceptionally smooth and fluid.

Reaction Score
We have four guards, he's not playing there; the question is, how do he and Abraham crash what is already a nine man rotation without them? Ross has by all reports had a great summer, but how does he exceed minimal minutes?

They crash the party by out performing the guys in front of them. Make it impossible for Hurley to not play you.

I recall in 2007-08, 3 star Gavin Edwards taking 5 star Curtis Kelly’s mins during their Sophomore year. One example, I’m sure there are more but it can happen.

Reaction Score
Our coaching staff who have seen these players in action all of the time understand this as we speculate. The scrimmages against ourselves are better competition than many of the opponents we will face during the season and we are about 8 weeks away from seeing what is what.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom