Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies

Reaction Score
Ball may have the issues mentioned. But in a less athletic and certainly less talented conference in Mahaney’s two years;

Per game FR= 2 APG v. 1.5 TOPG, 32 .2 MPG, SO = 2.6 APG v. 1.4 TOPG, 30.6 MPG. -He almost got it to 2-1 ratio.

Much more methodical plodding offense so chances in the half court were most likely limited. I truly hope those who are in the business and evaluate talent as a job are completely right about Mahaney.

Using his body of work over two years in a weaker conference is not the best comparative metric at this point.

Hassan last year JR= 1.8 APG v. 1.1 TOPG 12.7 MPG, SR = 2.4 APG v. 1.1TOPG 19.2 MPG

Spencer last year = 3.6 APS v. 1.0 TOPG 33 MPG

Newton last year = 6.2APG v. 2.5 TOPG 33.2 MPG

So passing and ball handling may be an area that allows Nowell to find time.

Also expect Hass to improve and will be a +4 or 5 APG player with increased playing time but as noted passing and ball movement are so key to this offense that someone will need to be the center piece and they will need help. Nowell ability to break down defenders off the dribble create penetration and find the open player on kick outs may end up having too much value to keep him off the floor.

One thing I know for sure about Mahaney is he is a great shooter. So combined with AK and Liam we could have three of the top shooters in the conference if not the country.

Last year Newton was much better than his first year but had a lot of help from Cam who was an upgrade to Jordan in regards to helping facilitate the offense and AK also improved to help in that capacity.
I saw a video clip on the news a couple of weeks ago and could not believe what a talented passer and ball handler Mahaney is. He’s like a magician and I an not even talking about his shooting!

Reaction Score
Then it’s not a competition that they’re having to earn a spot through practice. The role was handed.
Well isn't it a competition to see who the coaches think can better execute a specific role? I don't know where the idea that starting spots are given out based on talent and not execution came from.

There's literally zero evidence anywhere that Mahaney hasn't also had a great offseason, and he has a ton more experience ballhandling and running an offense at this level. Besides Mahaney, we have nobody who has been the lead guard on a NCAA team before. It's pretty easy to see why coaches would value that given that our two primary ballhandlers last year were 5th year seniors who had basically started every year of their collegiate careers.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Well isn't it a competition to see who the coaches think can better execute a specific role? I don't know where the idea that starting spots are given out based on talent and not execution came from.

There's literally zero evidence anywhere that Mahaney hasn't also had a great offseason, and he has a ton more experience ballhandling and running an offense at this level. Besides Mahaney, we have nobody who has been the lead guard on a NCAA team before. It's pretty easy to see why coaches would value that given that our two primary ballhandlers last year were 5th year seniors who had basically started every year of their collegiate careers.
There’s a bunch of mental gymnastics in the first paragraph.

I don’t know why it has to be framed as Mahaney having a bad offseason if Solo is playing better. It could just mean that Solo is playing that well. Which would be a GREAT development heading into the season if we can get a lottery pick level Solo that can beat out an All-Conference player.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I see the guy who hoped NCAA tournament committee members would die young because they didn't include a Big East bubble team has climbed back up on his cloud of judgement. Always hilarious.
And there you go with your band of bullies misquoting me. I hope their time on this earth is limited was not at all saying I wished people dead just how you decided to take it out of context to troll because that’s your thing…..

It meant I hope the selection committee and ncaa would hopefully cease to exist. I was not wishing anyone dead. You pathetic little troll.

THE ONLY REASON I AM RESPONDING IS I WILL NOT LET SOMEONE SAY I AM WISHING DEATH TO PEOPLE BUT YOU CANT HELP YOURSELF.

The post you are referring to below.

Seton Hall based on the body of work angle the POS PHD kept on quoting would suggest that Seton Hall should be in. They won 13 games and they get hosed. After the tournament the NCAA should be investigated for how they made their decisions.

Hopefully their time on this earth is limited.

They are not needed they are clearly corrupt.

There is only one explanation I will accept.

Uconn is just so good the only way they could keep the tournament competitive is to hand pick the teams that could,if they played their best game, give UConn a game. It’s funny they used the one metric KenPom that they act like does not exist to help them pick the most challenging bracket for UConn. Since they clearly did not have the knowledge to figure that out on their own.

I have not been this angry about UConn’s bracket and seeding since they put us in the same bracket as UCLA.

The anger is being tempered by the fact that although the joke committee gave UConn by far the most difficult bracket to traverse, everyone is still picking UConn. They couldn’t even cheat correctly. Must be a proud group sipping their expensive single

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s a bunch of mental gymnastics in the first paragraph.

I don’t know why it has to be framed as Mahaney having a bad offseason if Solo is playing better. It could just mean that Solo is playing that well. Which would be a GREAT development heading into the season if we can get a lottery pick level Solo that can beat out an All-Conference player.
Please explain the mental gymnastics because it seems pretty straightforward to me. Coaches have repeatedly lauded Mahaney since he got to Storrs, and we are undoubtedly in need of ballhandling which has never been a particular strength of Solo's game. Solo is a very athletic volume scorer, that's been his bio since high school, and that archetype is basically an ideal 6th man.

Solo averaged 3 and a half minutes per game after the start of February last year, it'd take an absolutely massive jump to beat out Mahaney, there's nothing wrong with that. He will get a ton of opportunities regardless.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Please explain the mental gymnastics because it seems pretty straightforward to me. Coaches have repeatedly lauded Mahaney since he got to Storrs, and we are undoubtedly in need of ballhandling which has never been a particular strength of Solo's game. Solo is a very athletic volume scorer, that's been his bio since high school, and that archetype is basically an ideal 6th man.

Solo averaged 3 and a half minutes per game after the start of February last year, it'd take an absolutely massive jump to beat out Mahaney, there's nothing wrong with that. He will get a ton of opportunities regardless.
It’s mental gymnastics to make up a hypothetical to combat what is being publicly shown.

If the roles were reversed you wouldn’t do that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I hate that this board is letting a year of Solo not playing in a role he’s comfortable in behind 4 high level/veteran guards cloud there judgment of him so much. He’s going to be more than fine this year and when he is y’all can check it up to development and not the fact he’s just getting more time in a role he’s comfortable in.

Reaction Score
And there you go with your band of bullies misquoting me. I hope their time on this earth is limited was not at all saying I wished people dead just how you decided to take it out of context to troll because that’s your thing…..

It meant I hope the selection committee and ncaa would hopefully cease to exist. I was not wishing anyone dead. You pathetic little troll.

THE ONLY REASON I AM RESPONDING IS I WILL NOT LET SOMEONE SAY I AM WISHING DEATH TO PEOPLE BUT YOU CANT HELP YOURSELF.

The post you are referring to below.

Seton Hall based on the body of work angle the POS PHD kept on quoting would suggest that Seton Hall should be in. They won 13 games and they get hosed. After the tournament the NCAA should be investigated for how they made their decisions.

Hopefully their time on this earth is limited.

They are not needed they are clearly corrupt.

There is only one explanation I will accept.

Uconn is just so good the only way they could keep the tournament competitive is to hand pick the teams that could,if they played their best game, give UConn a game. It’s funny they used the one metric KenPom that they act like does not exist to help them pick the most challenging bracket for UConn. Since they clearly did not have the knowledge to figure that out on their own.

I have not been this angry about UConn’s bracket and seeding since they put us in the same bracket as UCLA.

The anger is being tempered by the fact that although the joke committee gave UConn by far the most difficult bracket to traverse, everyone is still picking UConn. They couldn’t even cheat correctly. Must be a proud group sipping their expensive single
I guess this is the narrative you invented to avoid the reality that you're a loser on the internet wishing death to random people who didn't pick the college sports teams you thought they should pick? Pretty weird.

I see you also called the head of the committee a piece of **** in that post, although let me guess, in your new narrative POS means Person of Substance.

awy

Reaction Score
I hate that this board is letting a year of Solo not playing in a role he’s comfortable in behind 4 high level/veteran guards cloud there judgment of him so much. He’s going to be more than fine this year and when he is y’all can check it up to development and not the fact he’s just getting more time in a role he’s comfortable in.
this is such a waste of space. you are accusing people of positions they do not hold and ignoring the actual issue with yours. nobody is denying solo's ability or upside. it's just too early to bury mahaney based on an hour of august workouts.

Reaction Score
It’s mental gymnastics to make up a hypothetical to combat what is being publicly shown.

If the roles were reversed you wouldn’t do that.
My man, nothing is being publicly shown, it is August. Social media posts realistically don't tell us anything about the rotation or where guys are at in their development. I hope Solo is as good as you think he is, I just don't think 3 minutes of curated practice clips and an open practice are enough to convince me that he should be starting right now.

Reaction Score
Yelling Steve Carell GIF

Reaction Score
Johnson and Reed will definitely be the centers.
Karaban starts at the 4
McNeely and Stewart will obviously get major minutes
Diarra will likely start and Ball and Mahaney are going to play a lot if not start.

That is 8 already without including Ross, Abraham, and Nowell.
I think Nowell is going to play because hes talented and Hurley likes a lot of ball handling on the court.

Having a 10 man rotation is just about impossible in a 40 minute game with so many tv timeouts. Nobody is really getting gassed besides big guys.

Abraham seems like the guy that might not play and he looks great in the practice videos. I hope Ross gets a chance. Singare doesn't seem likely with Hurley opting to use Karaban at the 5 sometimes when the bigs are in foul trouble.
we played a 9 man rotation two years ago in route to the title.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Mahaney not as advertised?? This would be very worrisome to our 3-Peat chances...
He is definitely as good as advertised. I went back and watched his highlight reel from last season and he has that same level of craftiness off the dribble that Cam Spencer had and also has the tough shot making ability that Tristen Newton brought to the table. My only worry was the other end of the court, but plenty have provided reasons to be confident until we shouldn't be.

I'm all over the place in this thread, but Mahaney will start and be pivotal to UConn's success.

Reaction Score
we played a 9 man rotation two years ago in route to the title.
The 9th man was Hassan Diarra and he averaged 5 minutes a game in the NCAA tournament. We'll probably go to 9 in the regular season this year again, but it's a very hard thing to do come tournament time

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
My man, nothing is being publicly shown, it is August. Social media posts realistically don't tell us anything about the rotation or where guys are at in their development. I hope Solo is as good as you think he is, I just don't think 3 minutes of curated practice clips and an open practice are enough to convince me that he should be starting right now.
Not based on social media clips or an open practice.

Reaction Score
Johnson and Reed will definitely be the centers.
Karaban starts at the 4
McNeely and Stewart will obviously get major minutes
Diarra will likely start and Ball and Mahaney are going to play a lot if not start.

That is 8 already without including Ross, Abraham, and Nowell.
I think Nowell is going to play because hes talented and Hurley likes a lot of ball handling on the court.

Having a 10 man rotation is just about impossible in a 40 minute game with so many tv timeouts. Nobody is really getting gassed besides big guys.

Abraham seems like the guy that might not play and he looks great in the practice videos. I hope Ross gets a chance. Singare doesn't seem likely with Hurley opting to use Karaban at the 5 sometimes when the bigs are in foul trouble.
Read so much great stuff about Nowell

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Not sure Diarra was the 9th man last year.

Newton, Clingan, Castle, Spencer, Karaban was our main 5.

Castle got injured so we saw more Solo Ball.
Clingan was injured and we saw more Samson Johnson
Stewart came on later in the season and earned more minutes.
Diarra was the first off the bench though.

How often did we see Newton, Diarra, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan or Newton, Diarra, Castle, Karanabm, Clingan?

The 9th man was Hassan Diarra and he averaged 5 minutes a game in the NCAA tournament. We'll probably go to 9 in the regular season this year again, but it's a very hard thing to do come tournament time

Reaction Score
He is definitely as good as advertised. I went back and watched his highlight reel from last season and he has that same level of craftiness off the dribble that Cam Spencer had and also has the tough shot making ability that Tristen Newton brought to the table. My only worry was the other end of the court, but plenty have provided reasons to be confident until we shouldn't be.

I'm all over the place in this thread, but Mahaney will start and be pivotal to UConn's success.

Spent some time watching AM’s film last night. The thing to really like is the TNewt mold of him, where he can create and find space off the dribble. He squares up great, never off balance. He has a great little cross over that he uses to jig his defender to find a lane, and he keeps it low. Has a nice pull up, and left hand.

Also watched the Grand Canyon tape, which was a rough game for him. While he’s crafty doesn’t have that “alpha” feel like Cam had. He had a poor shooting game overall against some really good athletes on GC. Also got taken hard defensively a couple times, playing matador.

I still have my reservations, will stay optimistic. I’m just not sure his physicality will stand up against better regular competition in a league they truly let them play. My concern is also is if his offensive craftiness is enough to dispel some of his defensive gaps. He’s just not a big dude, and not exceptionally explosive/athletic. He’ll be heavy smarts and skill. If anything he strikes me as a fit for a shooting PG, as has a nice handle and a really nice eye for the open cutter.

That 2G spot is going to be interesting as we theoritically have multiple options there depending on what combo Hurley sees working best:

Mahaney
Ball
Nowell
Ross
McNeely

I can see any one of those guys paired with Hassan depending on matchup, as all can handle and shoot.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom