Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Predicting starters, bench rotation, depth outlook for Huskies

Reaction Score
The full rotation is right, but I'd be surprised if the starting lineup isn't

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart
AK
Reed

I can't see Solo starting. Mahaney is really, really good and Solo needs to totally overhaul his dribbling and passing to be a core piece of our euro offense. I want to see him slot into a bench sparkplug role a la Diarra in 2023-24 and continuing building those ball skills so he can be a leader his junior year.

Johnson may start. I'm 60/40 on Reed vs him
Based I what I've seen. Think your projected starting lineup is solid. We have tons of young talent-esp. at the wing position. Danny is going to have plenty of flexibility to navigate game situations/foul trouble with this roster. At the end of the day- I believe we'll be able to score at will vs anyone. My concern is can we stop teams on the defensive side of the ball. And staying healthy.

I'm bullish on this team. We're just young and inexperienced at key positions other than our returners(tri-captains) and portal adds. Our talent is FF talent. Just a matter of matching up that talent/potential with effort and a few lucky bounces.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It could also just be a way to take advantage of our great wing depth, stretches like that might be the only way to steal minutes for Ross and Abraham. I guess it kind of fits into bucket A, but a lineup of Diarra and 4 switchable wings like McNeeley, Stewart, Abraham, Karaban could be a fun lineup for small stretches. Or even swap Ball or Ross in for one of the other guys
Yeah I totally agree: small ball can work (and would be fun) as long we’re not playing a good big man who AK can’t guard. (It’s an extreme example and wasn’t going to impact the outcome but playing Karaban against Edey got old really quick.) There’s always a trade-off in going small as the other team’s gotta keep up with you.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hurley isn't going to play Singare if he's not ready and just a big for fouls. We clearly have the best wing talent in the country so I think he'll go small when Samson and or Reed get in foul trouble. Ross and Abraham are too good to be buried on the bench and to not get plenty of chances. Of course McNeeley and Stewart are going to play a ton.

I’m genuinely curious why Singare is still here if he doesn’t think he’s at least sniffing a few non-garbage-time minutes. The staff must think he’s capable of making a leap. Haven’t really heard much about him though.

This team is deeper than any UConn team I can think of. Great problems to have. Injuries are always going to happen so everybody will get a chance.

Reaction Score
I’m genuinely curious why Singare is still here if he doesn’t think he’s at least sniffing a few non-garbage-time minutes. The staff must think he’s capable of making a leap. Haven’t really heard much about him though.

This team is deeper than any UConn team I can think of. Great problems to have. Injuries are always going to happen so everybody will get a chance.
Singare is a great teammate/has a great attitude and has the talent where the staff wants to keep him around because they see things in him during practice that Yarders don't/can't. Gonna trust Dan on this.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I can see playing 10 during the season with a first-team and a second-team approach, shortening the bench when crunch time comes, and playing the best 5.

Reaction Score

I think he loves being here and he's being told he'll get his turn if he keeps practicing hard, continues to be a great teammate, and keeps doing all the right things. He's only going into his sophomore season. Hurley has talked several times about NBA scouts being very interested in Ross who is also going into his sophomore season and has also only really gotten mop up minutes.

Hurley is totally transparent with the players. I'm sure he told Yarin Hasson it was unlikely he would ever really see the court here. Apostolos is very good but I'm sure Hurley told him it would be extremely difficult for him to crack the rotation and he would be really good at an A-10 school. My guess is he's told Singare he will be a part of the rotation down the road if he sticks with it. As you said, we're just so ridiculously deep right now.

You know the culture is amazing when really good players are staying despite knowing it's still unlikely to be their turn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I think he loves being here and he's being told he'll get his turn if he keeps practicing hard, continues to be a great teammate, and keeps doing all the right things. He's only going into his sophomore season. Hurley has talked several times about NBA scouts being very interested in Ross who is also going into his sophomore season and has also only really gotten mop up minutes.

Hurley is totally transparent with the players. I'm sure he told Yarin Hasson it was unlikely he would ever really see the court here. Apostolos is very good but I'm sure Hurley told him it would be extremely difficult for him to crack the rotation and he would be really good at an A-10 school. My guess is he's told Singare he will be a part of the rotation down the road if he sticks with it. As you said, we're just so ridiculously deep right now.

You know the culture is amazing when really good players are staying despite knowing it's still unlikely to be their turn.
As someone who's met Singare in a public setting, he seemed like a very polite and mature person. Wouldn't shock me if his appreciation for the culture here is real, and he knows his time will come if he puts the work in. I also wouldn't be shocked if there's a real battle for backup center between him and Reed.

Reaction Score
247 & CBS Sports share writers so this can probably go here, BE preview starts at around 11:50 mark and Isaac Trotter mentions the summer intel about Samson has been "phenomenal" and Finkelstein said he watched one of the last summer practices and was very impressed

Reaction Score
IMG_7863.jpeg

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd point out that the lineup on the scoreboard in this graphic is Diarra, Mahaney, Stewart, Karaban, Johnson

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Reed
Karaban
McNeeley
Mahaney
Diarra

Johnson
Stewart
Ball
Nowell

Ross
Abraham
Singare

Reaction Score
I decided to listen to this after someone said this dude doesn't have Solo or Mahaney in his top 7. He's claiming we'll see a lot of Stewart/McNeeley 2-3 lineups.
I decided to listen to this after someone said this dude doesn't have Solo or Mahaney in his top 7. He's claiming we'll see a lot of Stewart/McNeeley 2-3 lineups.

He has UConn in the Big 12 in 2 weeks. Just sayin’.

Reaction Score

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart
AK
Reed

I can't see Solo starting. Mahaney is really, really good and Solo needs to totally overhaul his dribbling and passing to be a core piece of our euro offense. I want to see him slot into a bench sparkplug role a la Diarra in 2023-24 and continuing building those ball skills so he can be a leader his junior year.

If both Diarra and Mahaney start Hurley must be comfortable with Nowell playing significant mins off the bench.

Reaction Score
The simplest answer question I can give you is 'who doesn't want to hang around Champions' also be part of a potential historic 3 peat?

He may not have NBA potential (most college players don't), but working with Clingan, Samson, and other Champions here he can carve out a professional career somewhere, even if he doesn't start. Finally he can exercise patience, continue to develop, improve, learn and gain experience, with the best coaching staff in the Nation. Just like us, he is building his resume and UConn is a top 'company' to list for experience.

Just sayin' Nomar, it just might he likes being at UConn and can patiently wait his turn. Considering his background, he's living the dream right now.

If I was his parent I would tell him to stay put.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Article from CBSSports.com. They've been doing these for all the top teams so today is UConn's turn. I hate starting another thread on this subject since we discuss this topic all the time, but I didn't know where to put this. Interesting starting lineup - Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Karaban and Johnson.

First couple of games I could see this as the starting lineup because they’ve been immersed in the offensive schematic for a couple of years now. As the season goes on I can see Reed starting over SJ and Liam for Ball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
First couple of games I could see this as the starting lineup because they’ve been immersed in the offensive schematic for a couple of years now. As the season goes on I can see Reed starting over SJ and Liam for Ball.
If Ball starts I don’t see how he gets unseated. Both he and Stewart are the guys with the highest ceiling on the team. Their games have more room to grow than vice versa.

I’m not sure if there’s ever been an instance where Hurley changed a lineup mid season without an injury causing the change.

Reaction Score
I think for Singare it's a no brainer for him to stay. He's obviously a smart and mature kid. He has talent. He knows he is the in the right place to develop it and there is no pressure. He just needs to keep his head down and work. He trusts Dan and he should.

Reaction Score
Nowell
Mahaney
Karaban
McNeeley
Reed

15 min off bench, expect 2-4 ppg:
Stewart
Diarra
Ball
Johnson

5-10 min:
Ross
Abraham

Reaction Score
I can see playing 10 during the season with a first-team and a second-team approach, shortening the bench when crunch time comes, and playing the best 5.
I imagine our practices are much more intense and difficult than just about any other program given we can put two starting line ups against each other day in and day out.

awy

Reaction Score
the depth can allow them to play a more aggressive defense. more fouls to give

Reaction Score

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley/Stewart
AK
Reed

Totally agree on Reed over Johnson but would love to be wrong. I think Stewart gets the nod to start at least at first but the minutes are equal. Ball and Nowell could compete against each other for 6MOY in the BE. And what about Ross? All reports from the summer are singing his praises. So many quality players it's crazy.

Reaction Score
Totally agree on Reed over Johnson but would love to be wrong. I think Stewart gets the nod to start at least at first but the minutes are equal. Ball and Nowell could compete against each other for 6MOY in the BE. And what about Ross? All reports from the summer are singing his praises. So many quality players it's crazy.

It's not going to be an issue of good/very good players this year. We clearly have 10 good players who could start on most any D1 team. We can expect that 8-9 player rotation like always by crunch time, but it's hard to know who.

What we don't know is who "the man" will be who can take over a game. AK is going to be a team leader. But who is the defensive presence who can suck the life out of a team like Clingan or Castle? Who is your bucket-getter when things get rough like Newton? Those aren't questions we can answer yet.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The simplest answer question I can give you is 'who doesn't want to hang around Champions' also be part of a potential historic 3 peat?

He may not have NBA potential (most college players don't), but working with Clingan, Samson, and other Champions here he can carve out a professional career somewhere, even if he doesn't start. Finally he can exercise patience, continue to develop, improve, learn and gain experience, with the best coaching staff in the Nation. Just like us, he is building his resume and UConn is a top 'company' to list for experience.

Just sayin' Nomar, it just might he likes being at UConn and can patiently wait his turn. Considering his background, he's living the dream right now.

If I was his parent I would tell him to stay put.

Yes...but...I think every coach has "the talk" with guys who aren't going to get meaningful minutes -- sometimes that's to level-set expectations, sometimes it's a "you should look around" message. Coaches are especially un-shy now in the Portal Era. You can't make anybody go but players know when they're not wanted. It's basically a mutual opt-in arrangement. That's why I think both he and the staff must believe Singare's trajectory looks good and that he'll eventually contribute. (That doesn't mean start.) You and everybody else responding to my post seems to believe the same. So I said I was curious but I guess the answer is kinda obvious!

Reaction Score
It's not going to be an issue of good/very good players this year. We clearly have 10 good players who could start on most any D1 team. We can expect that 8-9 player rotation like always by crunch time, but it's hard to know who.

What we don't know is who "the man" will be who can take over a game. AK is going to be a team leader. But who is the defensive presence who can suck the life out of a team like Clingan or Castle? Who is your bucket-getter when things get rough like Newton? Those aren't questions we can answer yet.
To throw out a prediction I think your bucket getter will be AK or Mahaney. They are vets who can handle the pressure. Positionally I think we have the potential to be very good team defensively at every position but I think you are right who "the man" will be is very much up in the air.

Reaction Score
The defensive combination of Clingan/Castle was a generational duo-Highly skilled and benefiting from each other's defensive talents. Won't have that this year. It'll have to be team/help defense.

As to being "The Man" offensively. Mahaney has the improvisational tool kit for end of clock creativity/BBIQ but not overwhelming size. AK needs to move out of his comfort zone of being a jump shooter(three point shooter) and asserting himself by expanding his shot variety by putting the ball on the floor and getting to the hoop. Oddly enough- I could easily see McNeeley wanting the ball/asking for the ball by mid-year for those end of shot clock-buzzer beater type scenarios. BTW-The more guys we have who have the confidence to be that guy-Take that shot-the more unpredictable we become to the defense of our opponents. A good thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom