Predicted Outcome | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Predicted Outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There was always going to be more money for the top schools elsewhere. They were always going to chase it. Blame Pitt and Syracuse if you like, but if UConn had the opportunity and passed I'd be in Storrs with a torch and pitchfork.

If no one had left, everyone would be in great shape. The Big East of the last 8 years was a great league for all of its programs. There was no reason for everyone to leave, because the money was coming. Instead, WVU and Louisville do well, Pitt and Syracuse do OK, and everyone else is screwed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If no one had left, everyone would be in great shape. The Big East of the last 8 years was a great league for all of its programs. There was no reason for everyone to leave, because the money was coming. Instead, WVU and Louisville do well, Pitt and Syracuse do OK, and everyone else is screwed.

Sure but what you are asking is for schools to devalue themselves for the greater good. Are you going to post soon that the former Soviet Republics would have all been successful if they just stuck around?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What you think of his nonsense is what the rest of us think of your nonsense. Just keep that in mind.

haha thats fine. if u dont enjoy me just playin around thats fine. its a message board everyone can enjoy themselves and post what they think and w/e. its not like i post in the fball forum about a recruit and say hey we offered this kid, and in doing so i think think the nbe is going to add colorado st becuase we recruited this kid. i keep all my funny stuff where its supose to be and enjoy it for what it is. i enjoy others stuff for the same value entertainment wise, thats all. i'm not taking anything gospel. i'm a uconn diehard and i want whats best for uconn just like everyone else. i enjoy theorys about conf expansion and all that stuff so i put my garbage up just like nelson and others. so what that i'm left field with my thoughts of teams going where and why. if enough of u guys here have had enough of me and not just u and fishy then ill leave and just lurk.

imagefromurl

in the end i would like to think my fball and baseball talk is enjoyed here by some. if not then i guess i would hear about it more from u guys. just because i have some fun on a expansion board doesn't mean i'm a wack job overall which u seem to think. all of these boards on different forums are like this, i think most understand its all fun and nonsense. if your so upset about this chat then why do u keep posting and replying to it all. just read the real stuff that matters and ignore the crap me and others put out. but u continue to post and argue things....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sure but what you are asking is for schools to devalue themselves for the greater good. Are you going to post soon that the former Soviet Republics would have all been successful if they just stuck around?

Devalue themselves how? WVU was in the best basketball league in the country, and played in several BCS bowls. How many major bowls will WVU play in now that they are in a league with Texas and Oklahoma? Look at KState if you want the answer. How many times has a Big 12 school been screwed out of a major bowl bid because they weren't Texas or Oklahoma? The Big East would have gotten a huge contract from NBC if it had held together for another year. Everyone would have been paid.

People do this in business all the time. Couldn't Paul Allen, Steve Balmer and Bill Gates have gotten higher paying jobs back in the late 70's? Almost definitely. But if Bill Gates had gone to IBM to become a programmer, he would be making $300k or $400k a year now. How did sticking together work for them? You consider that communism?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
haha thats fine. if u dont enjoy me just playin around thats fine. its a message board everyone can enjoy themselves and post what they think and w/e. its not like i post in the fball forum about a recruit and say hey we offered this kid, and in doing so i think think the nbe is going to add colorado st becuase we recruited this kid. i keep all my funny stuff where its supose to be and enjoy it for what it is. i enjoy others stuff for the same value entertainment wise, thats all. i'm not taking anything gospel. i'm a uconn diehard and i want whats best for uconn just like everyone else. i enjoy theorys about conf expansion and all that stuff so i put my garbage up just like nelson and others. so what that i'm left field with my thoughts of teams going where and why. if enough of u guys here have had enough of me and not just u and fishy then ill leave and just lurk.

imagefromurl

in the end i would like to think my fball and baseball talk is enjoyed here by some. if not then i guess i would hear about it more from u guys. just because i have some fun on a expansion board doesn't mean i'm a wack job overall which u seem to think. all of these boards on different forums are like this, i think most understand its all fun and nonsense. if your so upset about this chat then why do u keep posting and replying to it all. just read the real stuff that matters and ignore the crap me and others put out. but u continue to post and argue things....

I do enjoy you. I also enjoy giving you a hard time.

A few years back I used to get very frustrated by the nonsense on the board. My posts these days are all in good fun. I'm even over your broken shift key, the only thing that annoys me anymore is when people shorten championships and scholarships to just 'ships'. It drives me crazy for some reason.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Devalue themselves how? WVU was in the best basketball league in the country, and played in several BCS bowls. How many major bowls will WVU play in now that they are in a league with Texas and Oklahoma? Look at KState if you want the answer. How many times has a Big 12 school been screwed out of a major bowl bid because they weren't Texas or Oklahoma? The Big East would have gotten a huge contract from NBC if it had held together for another year. Everyone would have been paid.

People do this in business all the time. Couldn't Paul Allen, Steve Balmer and Bill Gates have gotten higher paying jobs back in the late 70's? Almost definitely. But if Bill Gates had gone to IBM to become a programmer, he would be making $300k or $400k a year now. How did sticking together work for them? You consider that communism?

Devalue themselves meaning not maximize their revenue. The Big East was never getting more money than the ACC. It was just natural selection that the more attractive schools would always have more attractive suitors.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I do enjoy you. I also enjoy giving you a hard time.

A few years back I used to get very frustrated by the nonsense on the board. My posts these days are all in good fun. I'm even over your broken shift key, the only thing that annoys me anymore is when people shorten championships and scholarships to just 'ships'. It drives me crazy for some reason.

ships

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since you kill Syracuse and Pittsburgh endlessly for being washed up manufacturing towns, should you really compare them to Bill Gates?

Waylon you took Friday and Monday off for the Hamburgler's birthday. Well man which is it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Devalue themselves meaning not maximize their revenue. The Big East was never getting more money than the ACC. It was just natural selection that the more attractive schools would always have more attractive suitors.

As I pointed out elsewhere, the ACC schools seem to be sticking together despite the fact that several of them could make much more money in a different league. The Big East was probably going to about match the ACC, and Pitt and Syracuse bolted because...well, just because.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As I pointed out elsewhere, the ACC schools seem to be sticking together despite the fact that several of them could make much more money in a different league. The Big East was probably going to about match the ACC, and Pitt and Syracuse bolted because...well, just because.

So you take back all your dozens of posts that the ACC is dead and the raid is a done deal?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The ACC had and has more prestige, and generally, more prestigious institutions. It also had a stability that the hybrid Big East could not match. I often see posts proclaiming the great original BE football conference. BC, VT, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers and Temple. Temple was then dumped. It seems to me that if Pitt and Syracuse desire to stay with the Big East, then they were right to join the ACC, since that's where those schools are now. Except for RU, WVU (which is also not in the NBE) and Temple (not yet playing in the NBE), it is the Big East. So they are staying true to the Big East FB conference they formed. Once UConn and RU join them, the merger of the ACC and BE will be complete and the real Big East will finally be together again, rather than this awful artificial version.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nelson posted the winning Mega Millions numbers on the lottery board too. Sure it took 3 months to type every possible combo, but what a sweet moment when that prediction came true.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson posted the winning Mega Millions numbers on the lottery board too. Sure it took 3 months to type every possible combo, but what a sweet moment when that prediction came true.

Or I could just wait for the numbers to come up, and say "I knew it all along", like some posters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
By the way, you can't believe that Clemson and FSU are staying in the ACC, and not believe the Big East is about to get flattened. FSU/Clemson in ACC = UConn in Yankee Conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
By the way, you can't believe that Clemson and FSU are staying in the ACC, and not believe the Big East is about to get flattened. FSU/Clemson in ACC = UConn in Yankee Conference.

Even if Ville leaves to the Big12, who else is leaving the Big East? To make it the "Yankee Conference" as you have suggested about 1,000 times.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I do agree that worst case for the Big East is Louisville to the Big 12. It is one step closer to a split, and I agree not a good time for a split for UConn.

I'm not sure the football league implodes over Louisville leaving, but they are easily UConn's most important athletic partner right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Even if Ville leaves to the Big12, who else is leaving the Big East? To make it the "Yankee Conference" as you have suggested about 1,000 times.

Boise, SDSU and the hoops schools are all more than 50% likely to bolt if Louisville leaves. The hoops schools don't need to stick around in a league with UConn and a bunch of schools the hoops schools don't want to be associated with in the first place.

I don't believe the Warchant post, btw. ALL the other Internet chatter is that Clemson can't leave the ACC fast enough and FSU is going to end up leaving too. I don't think the Big 12 will do anything until it has final answers from both Clemson and FSU. If both hold tight, then Louisville and someone else are going to the Big 12, and that "someone else" is likely coming from the Big East.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn, RU, USF, Cinci still isn't the new Yankee Conference. It might just be CUSA on roids, but it's still a league.

I've expected Louisville to the Big 12 since Pitt/Syracuse left. Cant see them interested in Cinci or the Texas schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn, RU, USF, Cinci still isn't the new Yankee Conference. It might just be CUSA on roids, but it's still a league.

I've expected Louisville to the Big 12 since Pitt/Syracuse left. Cant see them interested in Cinci or the Texas schools.

That is pretty much what I said, plus Temple, UCF, ECU, UMass and Buffalo. We are splitting hairs on what to call this.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Louisville wants out. The catholics schools are unhappy. But I'm not yet convinced they would actually bolt if Louisville leaves and UConn stays. Who has any sway among that group? Villanova and Georgetown. Nova has aspirations for I-A football (at least part of the administration does) and Georgetown I don't think would relish a hoops league with Xavier or whatever CAA teams they would try to add. Only scenario I could see would be if Seton Hall and Providence got the sense that they were about to be booted and made a move to bring more of the catholics with them to a new conference (instead of just joining the A10). But I don't think UConn or Louisville would want their name being associated with kicking a small school out of the league.

Now if UConn, Louisville and one or two other football schools jumps ship, then that might increase the likelihood of a split. But I could see UCF improving and Memphis holding down the fort as marquis bball names, and maybe Larry Brown actually has some program building left in him at SMU. Then it goes back to what Nova and Georgetown want.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Villanova's administration doesn't want to upgrade football, but its alumni do. I think that ship has sailed though.

I think that without Syracuse, and to a lesser extent Pitt and WVU, the football league is a lot less attractive to the hoops schools. Without Louisville, the attractiveness of the football league drops off a cliff. Depaul and Marquette don't want home games with USF, Rutgers, UCF and SMU. They would take Xavier, Butler and St. Louis in a heartbeat over those 4 football schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Louisville wants out. The catholics schools are unhappy. But I'm not yet convinced they would actually bolt if Louisville leaves and UConn stays. Who has any sway among that group? Villanova and Georgetown. Nova has aspirations for I-A football (at least part of the administration does) and Georgetown I don't think would relish a hoops league with Xavier or whatever CAA teams they would try to add. Only scenario I could see would be if Seton Hall and Providence got the sense that they were about to be booted and made a move to bring more of the catholics with them to a new conference (instead of just joining the A10). But I don't think UConn or Louisville would want their name being associated with kicking a small school out of the league.

Now if UConn, Louisville and one or two other football schools jumps ship, then that might increase the likelihood of a split. But I could see UCF improving and Memphis holding down the fort as marquis bball names, and maybe Larry Brown actually has some program building left in him at SMU. Then it goes back to what Nova and Georgetown want.

The football schools are asking the hoops schools to take one for the team by letting detritus like SMU and UCF on board, and now the whole reason to do so, to save football, may be becoming a moot point with Boise gone. Throw Louisville's departure into the mix, and the Big East is circling the drain. The hoops schools will abandon this ship soon enough. Game. Set. Match. ESPN has won.

Reaction Score
The football schools are asking the hoops schools to take one for the team by letting detritus like SMU and UCF on board, and now the whole reason to do so, to save football, may be becoming a moot point with Boise gone. Throw Louisville's departure into the mix, and the Big East is circling the drain. The hoops schools will abandon this ship soon enough. Game. Set. Match. ESPN has won.

Can't really see Boise jumping ship. The MWC just can't pay them anywhere near what the BE can. If Boise has anything to do with the rumor they are having second thoughts, it is only in an effort to try and get an all sports invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom