Precious Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Precious Update

Reaction Score
What I hope the coaching staff is focused on bringing in for next year:

- a versatile defender who can lock down the opposing teams best player (Precious)

- a solid backup PG that can step in if AGs health becomes an issue, I might be in the minority here but I would not feel comfortable with Gaffney as our only PG and primary ball handler he plays off the ball right now and ball handling isn’t his best attribute(Kenya’s kid?)

- A serviceable backup center, ideally a longer defensive minded center(JUCO/Grad Transfer?)

Thinking: Team is really solid at the 2-4 as is for next year. PG is a little bit of an unknown with AGs health, need to improve overall defensively and get deeper at the 5.

I don't see solid at the 3 or 4 yet think we need some help still. Akok may help with one or the other but not sold on Poley or Sid as of yet to be playing 25 minutes at any one. Need depth at 5, hopefully Bouknight helps as a 3 on occasion but would love a solid 4 grad who can score a little and rebound the ball while standing his ground on the block.

Reaction Score
I don't see solid at the 3 or 4 yet think we need some help still. Akok may help with one or the other but not sold on Poley or Sid as of yet to be playing 25 minutes at any one. Need depth at 5, hopefully Bouknight helps as a 3 on occasion but would love a solid 4 grad who can score a little and rebound the ball while standing his ground on the block.

Why couldnt shonn miller have waited until now?

Reaction Score
I think his basis for that statement was if we land Precious. Without Precious’ commitment, I agree that we’d need additional depth on the wing.

Reaction Score

Mau, Polley will be a junior and a good 3 and D guy. Wilson is getting the rust out this year, and will be better next year. Sid and Polley are not as bad as portrayed on here, and will both be better next year. Bouknight is a better prospect and higher rated recruit than both of those guys. He will help whether at the 2 or 3.

Also, Akok is really good and is practicing with the team already getting used to everything. I trust him starting at the 4.

We have some pretty good players and depth on the wing for next year. Precious is a no brainer as he elevates your team.

pj

Reaction Score

- a versatile defender who can lock down the opposing teams best player (Precious)

- a solid backup PG that can step in if AGs health becomes an issue, I might be in the minority here but I would not feel comfortable with Gaffney as our only PG and primary ball handler he plays off the ball right now and ball handling isn’t his best attribute(Kenya’s kid?)

- A serviceable backup center, ideally a longer defensive minded center(JUCO/Grad Transfer?)

Thinking: Team is really solid at the 2-4 as is for next year. PG is a little bit of an unknown with AGs health, need to improve overall defensively and get deeper at the 5.

Interesting thoughts. I still think that a long, rim-protecting center would add the most value - wish we'd reeled in Wahab. You need at least 2 quality guys at that position, and someone coming in 2 years behind Carlton would stagger the classes well.

Another PG is attractive, in that you can rarely have too many distributors-creators, but with Hurley going to big guards, you have to wonder if Gaffney and B Adams may be his preferred guys to backup Alterique. If so he won't want to set back their development by bringing in another small guard. If Alterique doesn't come back well from the latest injury that would change of course.

Precious is indeed versatile and would really enhance the team. But that's more because he's a great player than because he fills a need.

I like where we are at 1-4 with Alterique, CV, B Adams, Bouknight and Gaffney at guard and Sid/Bouknight at SF, Precious there if we get him, Akok and Polley at PF. A quality center would go a long way toward solidifying the team, and then Precious could be the game-changing star.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Polley will be a junior and a good 3 and D guy.

Polley had a good day on D vs Wichita because of his height/length and McDuffie was not himself that game. I cannot say, regardless of what some reporters were claiming, that he had a good game defensively vs EC. He was not facing Gardner for70% of the game - Polley did have a much better offensive game and looked like he was much more comfortable on the offensive end.
Still needs a lot of work defensively in moving his feet correctly side to side without losing his shape and gets totally lost when facing a ball handler coming right at him - Still don't understand why he is not grabbing more rebounds but seems to not like to mix it up underneath and perhaps it's because he tends to foul by using his hands too much on the body and picks up quick cheap fouls doing so.
I do think he has improved much nicer than I had envisioned 1/3 of the way into this season, but UConn is hitting the meat of the schedule now - lets reserve judgment until we see him vs the big boys.
Akok will be pushing him next year and maybe playing against him in practice will work in his favor. I would love for the kid to find his shot and be successful

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'he plays off the ball right now and ball handling isn't his best attribute.'
???
Four-star Gaffney joins Bouknight, picks UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin