Postgame: Too much[merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Postgame: Too much[merged thread]

Reaction Score
At Baylor she would definitely start over Richards.
At ND she might not start over Young but Young would slide to the 2 and Mabrey is your 6th man.
Idk about that. Muffet likes to have Mabrey handling the ball unless Nixon comes in then She’ll do that. But You could be right. It would just be weird to have someone of Mabreys Caliber and Experience on the bench.

Reaction Score
I have been watching Lou cut through the paint for three years. I cannot remember ever seeing a pass to her during this cut. Not only Lou, but anybody cutting through the paint never receives a pass. Perhaps this is just a method of trying to lose the defender. This has to be tiresome unless you are setting up in the post to take advantage of a mismatch. Geno knows why he does it.
Another thing I have is an unproven theory. All freshmen generally have to adapt to a parade of taller players than they played against in high school. In high school, a 6'2'' player ended up in the post. In college, that same freshmen may have a 6'4" defender on the perimeter that presents a number of problems.
I have noticed this year that a number of schools have serious height: ND, Stanford, MSU, Baylor even TN looks big this year. SIZE= Advantage if athletic enough.

Touly, passed the ball to Lou, made a nice cut to the basket--wide open--no pass.

Reaction Score
Looks like the "Boneyard is spinning out of control" ..
Remember this is/was a rebuilding year, I figured 4-7 loss's .... and a run at the final 4.... Because of bad breaks in recruiting and promises not kept, the team for the most part is in a "On The Job Training Status". and will stay that way for a year or two....until they catch hold of the UConn MoJo ...

Last night the game was ours for the taking, if everybody played to their average, we'd have a different tune this day..but finals, holidays, a terrible travel schedule and nasty rust ..said NO WIN..

So have patience all is well and another Nation is in site...

Just ask my good buddy "Tony C"...

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, all but the most optimistic BY’er felt that 3 tough road tests vs ND, Baylor & Louisville would result in 1 or more losses. UConn had a great win in South Bend, but last night had a tough loss against a very good Baylor team. Let’s see how the Huskies do in Louisville before we write this team’s epitaph.

After the game last night, Geno said what many of us were thinking. This team has very little margin for error. There are a number of teams capable of winning a national championship this season. Make no mistake. UConn is one of those teams.
You are not only old but wise, grasshopper. As usual, a sober, measured, rational assessment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't agree that Megan Walker is a starter on any other WCBB Team.
So far ND and Baylor have been offered as possible places where Megan would not be starting this year. I disagree with both. On what other WCBB team wouldn't Megan Walker be a starter?

Do you really think that MW would start over Azura Stevens this season, if she had decided to stay and not got to the WNBA?
Wrong premise, Megan walker is a SF, Azura is a PF/C. So yes, I really think that MW would be starting along with Azura Stevens not instead of her.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
At Baylor she would definitely start over Richards.
At ND she might not start over Young but Young would slide to the 2 and Mabrey is your 6th man.
I disagree that Muffet would bench Marina Mabrey for Walker. I believe that if Walker were on the Irish, she would be the first player off the bench, not a starter. Megan is better inside, but Young and Ogunbowale are both slashers and Shepard and Turner are both more effective around the basket. Mabrey is our primary 3-pt threat, which opens the floor. Ogunbowale is not a bad 3-pt shooter when she shoots in rhythm (and I expect Arike's 3-pt % to rise as the season progresses.) But Megan would come in for Young or Ogunbowale, I believe.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Wrong premise, Megan walker is a SF, Azura is a PF/C. So yes, I really think that MW would be starting along with Azura Stevens not instead of her.
I think if Azura came back, she would start along with Williams, Dangerfield, Collier and Samuelson. The front court would be Azura and Collier, KLS at SF, and the backcourt would be CD and Williams. But I think Walker would inherit Azura's role as the bench player with a large number of minutes (unlike this year's bench, where no one serves that role yet).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree that Muffet would bench Marina Mabrey for Walker. I believe that if Walker were on the Irish, she would be the first player off the bench, not a starter. Megan is better inside, but Young and Ogunbowale are both slashers and Shepard and Turner are both more effective around the basket. Mabrey is our primary 3-pt threat, which opens the floor. Ogunbowale is not a bad 3-pt shooter when she shoots in rhythm (and I expect Arike's 3-pt % to rise as the season progresses.) But Megan would come in for Young or Ogunbowale, I believe.
I see your point but happen to disagree.
IMO as Muffet's 1st/only #1 recruit Megan would have been a day 1 starter at ND. The bar was not very high with Turner coming off ACL and Shepard awaiting eligibility and better conditioning either player would have been a better option to be ND's 6th man in the front court.

Reaction Score
So far ND and Baylor have been offered as possible places where Megan would not be starting this year. I disagree with both. On what other WCBB team wouldn't Megan Walker be a starter?

MW wouldn't start at Stanford. MW "might" start at Oregon State and UO, but, on all these PAC-12 teams wouldn't be in the top 5 for minutes played. So after rereading the statement, I changed my response.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
It takes posts longer to develop when moving up a level. Upperclass post players are bigger, stronger, and have better footwork. Unless there’s some miracle, Olivia won’t dominate as a freshman unless she can put on 15healthy pounds of muscle overnight

Similar to Brittney Griner, as Griner started Baylor tall and very thin! ONO will get in better shape each year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
MW wouldn't start at Stanford. MW "might" start at Oregon State and UO, but, on all these PAC-12 teams wouldn't be in the top 5 for minutes played. So after rereading the statement, I changed my response.
1546637001547.png

Reaction Score
I remember there was a thread started after the Notre Dame game that this UConn team was better than last year team. I thought it was kind of ridiculous at that time.

Well, it's like Geno says about the Boneyard, "25 percent of them really know basketball and are really tuned in, the other 75 percent of them are comical in what they write".(Paraphrasing here)

Reaction Score
UConn has three of the nation's four #1 high school recruits in its starting lineup (as pointed out in last night's broadcast, Baylor has the other one). That probably helps!
I can't help but say the magic words: "Just like Baylor did." Mulkey got skewered on the BY for scheduling a cupcake between the break and UConn. Maybe she was smarter than a lot of us thought. Of course, none of that says anything about the fact that Baylor is just really, really big, plain and simple, and UConn looked like they had never seen players of that size. Yes they came back and yes, that's admirable, but at the end of the day, they couldn't get into the tall trees and make magic happen.

Reaction Score
Would have liked to have been able to sub her out during her shooting draught, but may be a bit quick to pull plug on Walker based on one game. If we only used this game, we might bench LKS and Williams as well. Walker has been solid all year. She was one of the only UConn players to get open shots but missed. Some nights this happens.
I really don't like to pile on one player, but it is not just one game. She hasn't shown the spark that she had at the start of the season for some time now, since just before she got sick. And I;'m starting to believe the BYers who say that a #1 pick actually can't shoot well. It makes no sense, but that's what my eyes are telling me. I really hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
On Sports Center, saw Geno's take on the game. He said he was disappointed not in the loss but how his team stood around so much because he felt everyone was hoping some one else would make a play.

Hello MW.

Reaction Score
I really don't like to pile on one player, but it is not just one game. She hasn't shown the spark that she had at the start of the season for some time now, since just before she got sick. And I;'m starting to believe the BYers who say that a #1 pick actually can't shoot well. It makes no sense, but that's what my eyes are telling me. I really hope I'm wrong.

Ditto on this post. I must’ve replied to another post where they’re piling on Megan Walker when I should’ve replied to this thread. If only we had one thread about the negativity of losing to Baylor...lol

Reaction Score
I think if Azura came back, she would start along with Williams, Dangerfield, Collier and Samuelson. The front court would be Azura and Collier, KLS at SF, and the backcourt would be CD and Williams. But I think Walker would inherit Azura's role as the bench player with a large number of minutes (unlike this year's bench, where no one serves that role yet).
STOP DREAMING

Reaction Score
Wow, can MW get any love? Reading the last couple pages here would suggest MW lost this game...question, are these the same fans, last year, they felt Geno was not playing MW more?

Reaction Score
Too much size. Too much Cox (the difference maker imho.) Too much everything.
(And the size problem only gets worse next year.)

We were manhandled for much of the game but got some gritty play to stay in it.

Baylor is a bad matchup for this team. Hope to not have to face them again.

First non-OT loss since? 2013?

The Perfect Storm for Baylor.

Home court with a capacity crowd.

UCONN shooters had an off game (they're human).

Brown has a good game and wasn't intimidated.

Baylor's freshmen and support players had a good game.

That stuff happens.

UCONN plays them on a neutral court in the NCAAs...

my money's on Geno.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
1 great atmosphere
2 started by 4 starters, CW has to be more involved only took 6 shoots, missing open shots, then getting hesitant
3 rebounded ok against a big team
4 not a good post entery pass team, every game you see someone posting up strong demanding the ball, ball handlers looking perimeter first
5 Tuoly was OK, 2 of 3 fouls were BS, given time to get 100% should help
6 will not say team will shoot that bad again but not likely
7 thrilled for Kim to see her grandson, very happy moment
8 I am not a coach with 11 NCs,
9 big lay off hurts, but hey this is the holidays these are kids with family and friends, good tough scheduling should make them better

Reaction Score
Bad game, move on. I’m still optimistic with the best coach and still time to develop players. If they play poorly in late February and still show inconsistencies I will be worried. But for now let’s give the team a pass.

Reaction Score
You didn’t watch the South Carolina game then. She shot us right of the gym that night. We never even had a chance.

She probably only had 4 or 5 threes, but it felt like 9 or 10. I knew she was going to hit big shots tonight vs. UConn... and she did.

I did watch the SC game and baylor obliterated them in every fashion. Everyone played well for baylor that night and the game was over by the emd of the 1st qtr. Everything afterwards were garbage points for Baylor.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Home court advantage was big in this game! Baylor had the stands full and the fans were into the game. Neutral court game would not be double digit but Baylor probably wins, they are just a matchup problem for UCONN. Best thing that can happen for UCONN come tournament time is for MSST or ND to knock Baylor out of the tournament early. I did not include Stanford because I really believe Baylor wins that game handily if they play again at neutral court.

Stanford has size that can compete with Baylor and they also stretch the court with good 3 point shooters that will not allow Baylor bigs to camp out in the paint. While not extremely big, they have players at 6’3” and 6’4” that play with physicality. You are selling them short. They are a bad match up for Baylor, because Tara exposes their weaknesses

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think a big part of the Stanford-Baylor game is that the 'Furd ran them off he court. Brown and Cox were ineffective and probably needed oxygen when they were on the bench. UConn didn't do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom