Postgame: Too much[merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Postgame: Too much[merged thread]

Reaction Score
Is UConn the only team that should win the NC? Isn't this good for basketball?
Where in my post did I even hint that Uconn should be the only team to win a chip? I love the parity that exist in the women's game now. It only makes it better!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This was my first time really seeing Kelani Brown against elite competition and it seems that when she puts her mind to it, she's un-guardable. That's a legit WNBA center on the floor when at the peak of her capabilities--a tough match up for any team.
I saw in person Baylor's game against UCLA last year, where Kalani went off for 33 points in her team's losing effort that day. But what really impressed me in person was just how huge Kalani was. She made the uber-athletic 6'4" Monique Billings look like a small preteen standing next to her.

Reaction Score
For many years, folks have come to my front door with statements that the end of the world was nigh and given me a date certain. None of their predictions has come true. I don't remember if January 3, 2019, was on their list, but I can say with reasonable confidence that the world did NOT end yesterday.

The loss to Baylor was, ironically, something of a relief. It put a stop to the incessant pressure to win every game, a heavy burden for any group of young athletes. It also exposed UConn's weaknesses: 3 players can't win every game alone; the youngsters are not ready for prime time yet; there is no salvation from the bench.

Give Baylor all the credit. They had an excellent plan and the players to carry it out. The Huskies really never had a chance; they lost to a better team. Kim did a great job of preparing the Bears for everything UConn likes to do. Our team basically played catch all night behind the arc. Baylor controlled the boards, permitted no transition points for the Huskies, stifled Lou and kept 'Pheesa in check. The saddest sight of the evening was Meg standing unguarded at the arc refusing to take the open 3. The message that Geno doesn't care if she misses an open shot but must take whatever the defense offers has not been received. She's likely to hear it again.

All is not lost; far from it. We had an intimation of mortality. This team will go far but perhaps not far enough. Parity has arrived, as we knew it must someday.

Bonus comment: I have finally unlocked the secret of diet and nutrition after years of study and contemplation. Better yet, I've put in into a single sentence. At this time of the year, when so many hope to improve our eating habits, just remember this simple adage: Don't eat anything that tastes good.

Reaction Score
I saw in person Baylor's game against UCLA last year, where Kalani went off for 33 points in her team's losing effort that day. But what really impressed me in person was just how huge Kalani was. She made the uber-athletic 6'4" Monique Billings look like a small preteen standing next to her.
That was exactly what McCowan did to Hebard a season ago when she had 35 and 19, but these two don’t have that killer mentality every game. McCowan lacked it vs. Oregon and Brown vs. Stanford.

Reaction Score
For those folks who feel that ONO didn't do her job, I say that here was a freshman, going against a senior, who was 3 inches taller, much bigger/stronger, and most importantly, much more experienced. Let's face it, Baylor made the plays that they had to make to win the game, and UConn didn't. We had multiple open shots that we make a living off of, that just didn't go in. It happens. There is a lot of season left. FIDO...

Reaction Score
I personally didn’t expect Cox to defend Collier as well as she did. She held her to 6-18 shooting which isn’t easy to do on someone like Collier. She also had 5 blocks. She had some offensive struggles shooting 3-12 but her defense made up for it.

Reaction Score
Megan needs to knock down those shots. Baylor did something similar a season ago where at least toward the later half of the game, they put Cox on Gulich and Brown on Corosdale. Corosdale couldn’t even go off the bounce like Megan has the ability, but she knocked down a few 3s. It kept Brown guarding the perimeter which gets things going for others (more open drives) tonight, she didnt knock those down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not even her size, it's her base. She is just so solid and strong. No way for our guys to move her out of her spot. I definitely think she help her draft position last night.

Reaction Score
That is the major issue that I see. Similar to the UConn men, they lack a tall and strong big, wide body, Steph Dolson type. That would make the difference here.

Reaction Score
McCowan lacked it vs. Oregon and Brown vs. Stanford.

It’s not that she lacked energy. It’s more like Schaefer burned her out by having her lunge at the PG whenever she was drawn out past the three point line, and then she would have to chase down Hebard making a break to the basket after she made that lunge. Oregon kept on drawing McCowan past the three point line and Schaefer never adjusted. Terrible job by Schaefer that night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn shoots 29%, still keeps the game close and you are throwing in towel for season? Geno made few adjustments last night other than a few extra minutes of substitutions so would expect things to be different in future. Few of us expected UConn to go undefeated so suggest not letting the post game hang over take you to extremes. ;)
I'm definitely not throwing in the towel. I Don't know what gave you that Idea.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The lesson from last night is that we are vulnerable to teams with big posts. Is that really a surprise to anyone? If we are going to have a chance of beating them we will need good ball movement to get open looks, and much better shooting. FWIW, during crunch time, it seems to me that we overlook CW. We shouldn't. Her range and speed is going to be critical for us down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Megan needs to knock down those shots. Baylor did something similar a season ago where at least toward the later half of the game, they put Cox on Gulich and Brown on Corosdale. Corosdale couldn’t even go off the bounce like Megan has the ability, but she knocked down a few 3s. It kept Brown guarding the perimeter which gets things going for others (more open drives) tonight, she didnt knock those down.
Accurate assessment. When all 5 of your players (including those in the post) can hit the outside shot, that opens up the lane. I remember when OSU played UCONN in the Final 4 game. Ruth Hamblin had to come out of the key to guard UCONN and that was that. UCONN was hitting outside shots, and, then the lane opened up and easy baskets followed in the paint.

Reaction Score
To ALL the Boneyarders out there, the "Bottom Line" on this year's UCONN team, is that the 'Overall' recruiting efforts by the UCONN Coaching Staff has caught up with them. Yes, CW was the #1 recruit last year, but no one #1 recruit makes a team. ONO is a 'Project' and needs at least a year (or 2) to develop into the player Geno wants. Sorry folks, but Megan Walker is NOT a front line starter. She starts out of necssity. UCONN and Geno has no one really ready to replace Kia, Gabby, and Stevens. Love Molly and Kyla, but they are and haven't been able to fill the needs of the team off the bench. Both have basically are similar to the 2 walk-ons that perfomed in their roles, during their time on the team. Camera might be able to help later on this season, but I feel she will essentially be another Natalie Butler at best. Coombs is just another bench guard, who is maybe 75% of a Saniya Chong type player. Geno and the Coaching Staff went "bust" with their recruitments of Lexi Godon and AEH, both whom transfered out, have shown that 'maybe' the coaching staff should have taken a different direction during the 2016 and 2017 recruiting years. And while Griffin will be the Wing Guard that Geno was expecting AEH to be, UCONN's inability to land a true big post player in this year's recruiting class is really going to haunt them for the next couple if years, unless they are successful next year. IN SUMMARY, the lack of a true strong post player, along with a bench that is not as good as previous Championship UCONN team were, is the reason why I don't believe that they will fall short this season (maybe only making it to the Elite 8)

Reaction Score
I agree with most I take exception to the words "lost their composure" .Even Coombs when thrust in to sub for CW played with composure. CW, a Frosh, who never saw this much size, talent and tough defense, didn't have the experience to know how to make through to score. Walker nearly the same. What you haven't seen before you need practice and experience to know how to handle it. How could Geno replicate that size in practice??
I give Walker an A, CW B, Coombs a B plus, Phee an A minus (only because she missed shots she usually made) , KLS A plus, Danger A plus, Touly a B plus or A minus.
I'm so proud of how WELL they all played against very good defense and size at every position. There is no shame when you gave it your all and that was over come by SIZE.
I love your grading system Broadway. The team shoots 29% and 4 of the 5 starters get an A. I wish I had you for organic chemistry in college.

Reaction Score
One has to question Geno's recruiting strategy after seeing how "small" & slow UConn looked last night. You can't get away with not having big-body post players against the top teams in the country. Losing Boston as a recruit was a tremendous loss. No way to sugar coat it.

Reaction Score
If you were in chat last night you would have seen this team skewered, killed, lashed, bashed, vilified and killed by the chatters. Sad.

UCONN had a long layoff and this game was erroneously scheduled. Should have had a game just before this one.
I doubt it would have mattered. Tough, physical, in your face defense takes UConn's offense, and especially Samuelson and Dangerfield completely out of their offense. Against teams with size they can't get to the rim because other than Collier, they don't get off the floor.

Reaction Score
For those folks who feel that ONO didn't do her job, I say that here was a freshman, going against a senior, who was 3 inches taller, much bigger/stronger, and most importantly, much more experienced. Let's face it, Baylor made the plays that they had to make to win the game, and UConn didn't. We had multiple open shots that we make a living off of, that just didn't go in. It happens. There is a lot of season left. FIDO...
Difficult for ONO to do her job without experience on the court. She was a star in HS, and has the skill set to be so in college, but she NEEDS to be on the court. Geno's talked about the difficulty of playing QB. But, ask any rookie QB in the NFL - until you get experience under your belt, you aren't going to develop on the pro level. Give her floor time and let her learn from her mistakes, and blossom into the player we need in the paint. Without her, its going to be tough against taller opponents with capable coaching.

Reaction Score
I love your grading system Broadway. The team shoots 29% and 4 of the 5 starters get an A. I wish I had you for organic chemistry in college.

lol. MW was 3/10 on mostly open shots and passed up others. Nobody on uconn thinks she had a good game. Was she terrible? NO. But if she really had had an A game, UConn probably wins .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To ALL the Boneyarders out there, the "Bottom Line" on this year's UCONN team, is that the 'Overall' recruiting efforts by the UCONN Coaching Staff has caught up with them. Yes, CW was the #1 recruit last year, but no one #1 recruit makes a team. ONO is a 'Project' and needs at least a year (or 2) to develop into the player Geno wants. Sorry folks, but Megan Walker is NOT a front line starter. She starts out of necssity. UCONN and Geno has no one really ready to replace Kia, Gabby, and Stevens. Love Molly and Kyla, but they are and haven't been able to fill the needs of the team off the bench. Both have basically are similar to the 2 walk-ons that perfomed in their roles, during their time on the team. Camera might be able to help later on this season, but I feel she will essentially be another Natalie Butler at best. Coombs is just another bench guard, who is maybe 75% of a Saniya Chong type player. Geno and the Coaching Staff went "bust" with their recruitments of Lexi Godon and AEH, both whom transfered out, have shown that 'maybe' the coaching staff should have taken a different direction during the 2016 and 2017 recruiting years. And while Griffin will be the Wing Guard that Geno was expecting AEH to be, UCONN's inability to land a true big post player in this year's recruiting class is really going to haunt them for the next couple if years, unless they are successful next year. IN SUMMARY, the lack of a true strong post player, along with a bench that is not as good as previous Championship UCONN team were, is the reason why I don't believe that they will fall short this season (maybe only making it to the Elite 8)
Happy New Year @Chong-Master. Solids points all around. Megan Walker is a starter on every team in WCBB though. Megan had a bad game last night. In looking back at both the 2016 and 2017 classes only one player (Cox) in both of those classes would have made a difference for UCONN in that game. Cox chose Baylor.

Reaction Score
Why is it so hard for some to give Baylor all the credit? They perhaps played one of their best game in their history. Kudos to Kim and team for a well planned and executed game. Saying that, a stop here and there with a couple more shots made...who knows, maybe results would have been different.

After all, this is the same UConn team that beat up on ND earlier this year.

Reaction Score
This game tells us a lot of things...most of which we already knew:
  • We are small...our quickness helps us with the slower players, and Napheesa plays a lot bigger than she is (amazingly so)...but, when we play against big, mobile players that work as hard as we do, we are vulnerable. This game reminds me a lot of the physical beating we took in the Mississippi State loss two years ago. When we play teams like this, Pheesa and Lou need help from the rest of the team, and that help cannot be tentative.
  • Both Meghan and Christyn passed up a lot of open shots that weren't available later in the game. Underclassmen can be a little in awe of their teammates...or just a little in awe of the big stage they find themselves on. Both ladies will need to get over that by tourney time...not fair...but the way UCONN recruits, with small but gilt-edged classes, everyone has to pull an oar.
  • During the last 5 minutes, we really weren't getting many good looks at the basket. The energy level seemed to have broken down our offensive movement over the course of the game. The big message to the bench is learn the plays and be ready to contribute when we get into the kind of highly physical games we'll be seeing in the Elite 8 on.
Really proud of these guys...especially the three upperclassmen that took the brunt of the load.

I do think this game increases our chances for a deep tourney run...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Happy New Year @Chong-Master. Solids points all around. Megan Walker is a starter on every team in WCBB though. Megan had a bad game last night. In looking back at both the 2016 and 2017 classes only one player (Cox) in both of those classes would have made a difference for UCONN in that game. Cox chose Baylor.
Would Megan start for Baylor? Would she start for ND? I think possibly for Baylor over Richards, but many think NaLyssa Smith is better than Richards, although Richards defense changed the game yesterday. Likely not for Baylor, especially not over Young.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I doubt it would have mattered. Tough, physical, in your face defense takes UConn's offense, and especially Samuelson and Dangerfield completely out of their offense. Against teams with size they can't get to the rim because other than Collier, they don't get off the floor.
UCONN missed wide open treys. The opportunity to win was there last night. The constant sound of the rim clanking was loud and tragic.

Reaction Score
It is not about STATS it's about effort against an aggressive defense and not matching in height at any position. Stats rarely show effort. An easy team big stats. A team as Uconn ran into last evening; away from home, just off of Xmas break, hostile crowd right up on to the floor. 17 to 22 year old kids. In Organic Chem your grades, I'm sure, were based on your ability to decipher the text, remember the lectures: you didn't have to run for 40 minute while being pushed, pulled, and physically abused while being tested. If you could withstand that beating while taking MY test, depending on your actual grade, I may have given YOU an A. Any class that was not subjective in testing I deserved the grades I received, that most likely is the case with you too.
Then too I am grading as a Fan; I believe that allows me some lattitude.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom